Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

boardise wrote: »
    Interesting -that's the way I'd have gone as well. Slightly more palatable psychologically and then you'd be saying 'Just one more week'.

That wouldn't allow enough time to reassess things and just increases the liklihood of a further extension. Which seems likely to me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

boardise wrote: »
    Can you imagine the leader of the free world hitting his audience with a poem ?:D
    The bind moggles.

I’d prefer a poem than lies every day of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Right decision to make it least another 3 weeks. But anyone who thinks it will be relaxed in coming 2 months are kidding themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They shouldn't let anyone off a plane or boat who can't produce evidence of address here, otherwise we are wasting our time.

Surely anyone coming through the ports and airport should be self isolating (unless they are classed as a key worker)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Mr.S wrote: »
    Well they have to, there’s no other option.

Hopefully it’s actively enforced and people are fined for breaking the rules.

Would that be the same people that are fined week in and week out but never actually pay the fine? The same people who couldn't give a damn about a string of convictions? Because that's where this lockdown will start to crumble first. It was a terrible decision. They should have said a week or two and asked people to double down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    No guarantee!
    Could well be extended again.
    These restrictions should be lifted and other stuff at two week intervals. Pubs will be along way off opening I'd say and big gatherings not till the end of summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Tandey wrote: »
    Carnage down in Wexford apparently with the amount of people that have swanned down there for this weekend.

So sad. Think me may see the army out with roadblocks if people can't act responsible

• Registered Users Posts: 28,483 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Plenty.

We're facing bankrupcy as a nation but the government can afford 2 signers for every press conference. Ridiculous.

Maybe they're volunteering.

Seriously , what a load of sh1te you write.

If they weren't being employed they'd be claiming €350 a week off the state anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Given from I can follow our testing strategy and implementation has been a fiasco, why continue with contract testing ?

Why not just test people who have symtoms or are sick (as we have seamed unable to to do this from the getgo), rather than wasting huge resources trying to trace back people who only may be infected ?

Really puzzles me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

The UK is riddled with coronavirus. Letting people in from there without restrictions makes a complete joke of this lockdown.

You cannot bring this under control when you let people in unscreened and into the community.

If an Irish person goes to London for a weekend there's a strong chance they bring it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

They shouldn't let anyone off a plane or boat who can't produce evidence of address here, otherwise we are wasting our time.

Over the next few weeks/months Ireland will make an excellent breakaway destination for Brits as Corona continues to ravage Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

fr336 wrote: »
    Maybe they should. I'm far less of a risk to others. Oh and I'm an essential worker when I finish my leave.

:confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

They said that we reduced our Ro number. How do they know that when they aren't testing everyone with symptoms to allow for this contact tracing? They're only testing if you have two symptoms and a fever. Are they trying to make our numbers look good?

Mr.S wrote: »
    You forgot to include the “passenger travel is down 95%” part.

And you missed the part where it takes only 1 case to spread this widely.

1 case in wuhan led to 1.5 million worldwide in 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

thebaz wrote: »
    Given from I can follow our testing strategy and implementation has been a fiasco, why continue with contract testing ?

Why not just test people who have symtoms or are sick (as we have seamed unable to to do this from the getgo), rather than wasting huge resources trying trying to trace back people who only may be infected ?

Really puzzles me.

Because that approach relies on people to come forward, which in some cases they can't do and in other cases they won't do. Contact tracing also helps to identify asymptomatic carriers.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Surely anyone coming through the ports and airport should be self isolating (unless they are classed as a key worker)?

Leo answered the ports and airports question. They checked on the reports from the ports regarding huge numbers of people coming in and they were unfounded.

Backs up what stena and Irish ferries already said along with an rte reporter at the ports.

Air traffic track down 95%

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just been out for walk (England). God the joggers get on my tits. Only a few of them but that was enough. Breathing and panting past you. Surely such geniuses could work out an exercise regime at home? Or simply walk like us mere mortals?
    Do you normally walk without breathing?

You know exactly what I meant. Out of breath from their business as usual running. Ironically if they've caught this thing the exercise may be detrimental.

I go out for a walk every evening to get some exercise. But I have to say, some runners do make me a bit nervous. I'm walking along the path, and moving away from anyone I encounter to the best of my ability, but this particular type of runner, not the guy just jogging along, but the running equivalent of the tour de france cyclist types, that are heavily exhaling with every step.

There is breathing, and there is exhaling at the power of a cough. And we all know which is more dangerous in terms of keeping our distance. I wouldn't like being in a supermarket within 6 feet of someone breathing that heavily, so I'd rather not have to encounter it on a footpath.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

thebaz wrote: »
    Given that from I can follow our testing strategy and implementation has been a fiasco, why continue with contract testing ?

Why not just test people who have symtoms or are sick (as we seam unable to have been unable to do this from the getgo), rather than wasting huge resources trying trying to trace back people who only may be infected ?

Really puzzles me.

What seems to be the plan is to get the transmission rate below 1. In tandem there's the ramped up testing now that we can get reagents and contact tracing with that. Judging by this they still expect cases but will aim to manage it as they do in a flu' season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Jebus. Meltdown on Twitter over the LC happening. Lots of mentions of mental health and even some mentions of suicides. When did mental health issues become weaponised? I don't really get the controversy. Shouldn't students have been preparing for the possibility the exams might go ahead?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

sammyjo90 wrote: »
    Seriously?
    No one can guarantee anything

Well we can't keep this indefinitely. People need to see family etc. I can take my own precautions after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

keynes wrote: »
    Over the next few weeks/months Ireland will make an excellent breakaway destination for Brits as Corona continues to ravage Britain.

Keynes you don't seem to have responded to any of the posts questioning what you were saying about the 15k being an overreaction in your posts.

Why is this.

Do you maintain that the hospital system would not be overwhelmed if this was left unmitigated

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

Christy42 wrote: »
    Tell you what. You go find a cure by then and I'll guarantee less restrictions. Till then off to bed/couch you go.

Denmark didn't get your memo, they are starting to lift restrictions next week

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    These restrictions should be lifted and other stuff at two week intervals. Pubs will be along way off opening I'd say and big gatherings not till the end of summer.

They've already said no guarantee that restrictions are lifted in 3 weeks but they do hope to have gradual easing after that. All depends where we are in 2 weeks really

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

I hope all those assholes who went to their holiday homes get pinned by the guards when they head back to their primary homes after the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

thats rubbish from leo abt not providing a whistle blower hot line for reporting idiots not doing social distancing this should be done

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

Just been out for walk (England). God the joggers get on my tits. Only a few of them but that was enough. Breathing and panting past you. Surely such geniuses could work out an exercise regime at home? Or simply walk like us mere mortals?

Plus most of them are just lumbering lumps of lard...some comical sights out there.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

They said that we reduced our Ro number. How do they know that when they aren't testing everyone with symptoms to allow for this contact tracing? They're only testing if you have two symptoms and a fever. Are they trying to make our numbers look good?

A value for R_0 when everyone is under lockdown is pretty meaningless anyway. (I'm leaving aside the fact that the figure is impossible to estimate given the shambolic testing we have)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Those coming off the boats and planes will be mixing with lots of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Finally someone speaking the native tongue.

• Advertisement

This press conference is ridiculous. They've no proper metric to measure success. Testing is hopelessly backlogged. They still aren't giving out enough PPE to hospitals and nursing homes. And they are still allowing hundreds if not thousands of people in by ferries and planes.

There is zero hope of the lockdown being lifted on may 5th.

I hate the false hope Varadkar gives people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement