Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Finally someone speaking the native tongue.

I'll be burned for this, but how does speaking in Irish, for a conference for everyone, help anyone? It only restricts the amount of us knowing what is being said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Level 42 wrote: »
    thats rubbish from leo abt not providing a whistle blower hot line for reporting idiots not doing social distancing this should be done

In fairness ireland is a small enough country that that would easily lead to vigilantism.

People are getting screamed at in shops for sneezing already. Having a tool like this could get things out of hand very fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

Sounds a bit like me in my Irish oral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

fr336 wrote: »
    Maybe they should. I'm far less of a risk to others. Oh and I'm an essential worker when I finish my leave.

How do you figure that?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

off to the back garden to get p1ssed-no good news here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'll be burned for this, but how does speaking in Irish, for a conference for everyone, help anyone? It only restricts the amount of us knowing what is being said.
    For those in the country who don't speak English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

what is he saying? I don't speak irish

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

They've already said no guarantee that restrictions are lifted in 3 weeks but they do hope to have gradual easing after that. All depends where we are in 2 weeks really
    I think they will have to anyway as we'll be close to the limit on effectively maintaining it. If we are at 6 weeks or more people will get very fed up and amount of "you're doing great" will satisfy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Well we can't keep this indefinitely. People need to see family etc. I can take my own precautions after that.

We're all in the same boat. It's hard for all of us. You'll see your family, but if you care about them that much, stay home and protect them.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,014 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wtf...

Will this be translated for us?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I doubt they are saying anything not already spoken in English

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I hate the false hope Varadkar gives people.
    Well there's people already losing their **** over a mere three weeks, so I don't think they'd handle reality very well...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Not sure tey have a choice. If they say oh we're locking down to June or even July, people will start a backlash right now and not conform with th current restrictions. Better to have a lockdown in April/May then all the way to September.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Did anyone see Leo on Instagram saying he's bought easter eggs for his nephews but can't deliver due to social distancing - should he eat them himself. Well made me laugh.

I am thinking of having them. If I could get alot of people walk 2km each on their daily exercise and drop them into the next persons bag at 2m social distance. Could I get them here by sunday
    Yet again darn its not really essential. mmmmh maybe by...drone...mmmh. ah sure I will just do with out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

This press conference is ridiculous. They've no proper metric to measure success. Testing is hopelessly backlogged. They still aren't giving out enough PPE to hospitals and nursing homes. And they are still allowing hundreds if not thousands of people in by ferries and planes.

There is zero hope of the lockdown being lifted on may 5th.

What's your proof/basis for believing the restrictions won't be lifted then?

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

It's the national language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I need a drink......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭take everything

froog wrote: »

Stuff about pressure on students and how he understands their difficulty I think

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

froog wrote: »

Think he asked to go to the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Stuff about pressure on students and how he understands their difficulty I think

Sounds like he's having difficulty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Seriously . **** off with the As gaelgie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

For those in the country who don't speak English.

Is there anyone in the country who understands only Irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

is_that_so wrote: »
    I think they will have to anyway as we'll be close to the limit on effectively maintaining it. If we are at 6 weeks or more people will get very fed up.

Well good news today regarding reagent for 900,000 tests and it was mentioned that they'll have the backlog cleared by the German labs this week. So we'll see how testing goes then, that's the key here.

But I agree, tinfoil hats calling for months more

• Registered Users Posts: 56,014 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Palmach wrote: »
    It's the national language.

Nobody bar a very small few can speak it..

This is a fooking joke..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Just been out for walk (England). God the joggers get on my tits. Only a few of them but that was enough. Breathing and panting past you. Surely such geniuses could work out an exercise regime at home? Or simply walk like us mere mortals?

You should try jogging, I find it cathartic. Makes me less of a moany git...

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Palmach

Macdarack wrote: »
    I hope all those assholes who went to their holiday homes get pinned by the guards when they head back to their primary homes after the weekend.

The numbers were totally over exaggerated. In fact there very few people going to their holiday homes and to be fair most were elderly people who will find it easier to self isolate in holiday homes rather than crowded cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Nermal

Five weeks at €865M per week.
    (https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/view/?ref=126_126496-evgsi2gmqj&title=Evaluating_the_initial_impact_of_COVID-19_containment_measures_on_economic_activity)

Trying, and almost certainly failing, to control a virus that would kill under 0.4% of the population, less than four times that of the flu.
    (https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/)

All you can do is shrug your shoulders and wait for reality to re-assert itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Way too many on this thread delighted with extra restrictions. "At least Christmas before we will be back to lesser restrictions or other scaremongering ****e"

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Level 42 wrote: »
    thats rubbish from leo abt not providing a whistle blower hot line for reporting idiots not doing social distancing this should be done

Couldn't you just ring your local Garda station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

Leo answered the ports and airports question. They checked on the reports from the ports regarding huge numbers of people coming in and they were unfounded.

Backs up what stena and Irish ferries already said along with an rte reporter at the ports.

Air traffic track down 95%

He didn't say it was unfounded he said the numbers were relatively few which was just dodging the question. One person coming in from the UK and allowed travel around unchecked could have really bad consequences for this country. Pointless really restricting the local populace and then allowing people travel in on ferries. Pure waste of time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement