Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is there anyone in the country who understands only Irish?

Some, that's why we put the Irish name on every single road sign in the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Mr.S wrote: »
    You forgot to include the “passenger travel is down 95%” part.

So 100% - 95% = 5%

5% of a big number is still a relatively big number.
    Especially in the context of a pandemic. Italy didn’t have a 95% lockdown. China didn’t either.

Check out the numbers from last year and apply 5%. It’s massive. 95 sounds great.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/tt/tourismandtravelquarter12019/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Think he asked to go to the toilet.

doesn't toilet sound like lecherous :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Palmach wrote: »
    It's the national language.

most irish people cannot understand it at a level required to follow what was being said there. that's just a fact. this is a press conference on a serious global health emergency. not the time for gaelgoirs to try and promote the language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

FFS. why do they need 2 sign language signers?

Can they not give RTE a transcript of the speeches in advance and put them up as subtitles?

My god, you're a delicate doily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

This press conference is ridiculous. They've no proper metric to measure success. Testing is hopelessly backlogged. They still aren't giving out enough PPE to hospitals and nursing homes. And they are still allowing hundreds if not thousands of people in by ferries and planes.

There is zero hope of the lockdown being lifted on may 5th.

I hate the false hope Varadkar gives people.

I thought the chances of any relaxation even at the start of these restrictions was zero. I think the chances of a relaxation at the end of these is much higher than zero. They want to have a proper well oiled testing machine in place and working in a way which they are confident in before they look at relaxing them. I expect it more likely we will have that in place in three weeks time. It is still a fluid situation that will depend on a number of factors over the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,014 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone know where the 99 percent of the population can get a transcript of that last question and answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

It would be an incredibly naive and premature move to lift the restrictions in just two weeks, particularly with the May bank holiday coming up which is probably why they settled on the May 5th date. But I do wonder will they extend it until the June bank holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Level 42 wrote: »
    thats rubbish from leo abt not providing a whistle blower hot line for reporting idiots not doing social distancing this should be done
    You can ring the Gardai at any time.
    What's this 'hotline' crap?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Some, that's why we put the Irish name on every single road sign in the country.

rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Level 42 wrote: »
    thats rubbish from leo abt not providing a whistle blower hot line for reporting idiots not doing social distancing this should be done

Snitches get stitches

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Moany **** more like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Someone in Monaghan, Roscommon or Leitrim where there is hardly any cases can't visit relatives down the road.

But hundreds of people can come off ferries and flights from the UK where 9000 have died and likely to be hundreds of thousands infected.

What a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

How do you figure that?

Does it need spelling out? If both I and the joggers have it, maybe not even displaying symptoms, which is worse - me walking along normally or joggers panting and breathing out into the air like they're on a marathon? I thought it was just cyclists that annoyed me but Corona has changed everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

This is probably the only time in your life you’ll ever be asked to do this.
    You’re being paid to stay safe at home.
    People are going out working on the front line.
    The least we can do is stay indoors.
    It’s a once in a life time request.
    If we don’t do this the country would soon have hospitals full , more healthcare staff infected who can’t care for patients. People dying when they may have lived if the care was available.

I know it’s not ideal and some people will struggle but look we’re all in the same boat so let’s just get on with it.
    The extension of this lock down is 100% the right decision, so let’s all obey it !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Palmach wrote: »
    The numbers were totally over exaggerated. In fact there very few people going to their holiday homes and to be fair most were elderly people who will find it easier to self isolate in holiday homes rather than crowded cities.

And if they get sick, will they go back to their real home for treatment, or will they go to the local hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Evidence please. I find that extraordinary. How many could there be in Ireland who can only understand Irish?

I'm all for promoting the language- it's a vital part of our heritage, but there are practical limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,205 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone know where the 99 percent of the population can get a transcript of that last question and answer?

Beidh an athscríbhinn ar fáil níos déanaí sa tráthnóna

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Keynes you don't seem to have responded to any of the posts questioning what you were saying about the 15k being an overreaction in your posts.

Why is this.

Do you maintain that the hospital system would not be overwhelmed if this was left unmitigated

What I said was the 15000 number was wildly incorrect and this casts doubt on the values R_0 now being estimated by the same researcher. All of these estimates are ridiculous given that they only hold in the environment at the time of estimation and without attendant policy changes. While the 15000 figure became (retrospectively) the figure without a lockdown, the R_0 figure would also be surely be different without a lockdown. (FWIW, I never suggested 15000 would be manageable for the health system. My point concerned the general usefulness and applicability of these estimates/projections)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Way too many on this thread delighted with extra restrictions. "At least Christmas before we will be back to lesser restrictions or other scaremongering ****e"

What do you want to happen so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,735 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    Denmark didn't get your memo, they are starting to lift restrictions next week

Important to note they are only opening child care facilities and schools.

It's a very risky thing to do to start lifting restrictions now especially in Europe.

The danger is a renewed surge and they'll just end up closed down again a week later.

This could damage public confidence severely.

The WHO is explicitly telling countries not to lift restrictions for this reason...they don't want them getting in to this cycle.

global%20infection%20rate_0_0.jpg?itok=0sLedVxX

Then again restrictions can't last forever either.

It's such a difficult situation right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Nermal wrote: »
    Five weeks at €865M per week.
    (https://read.oecd-ilibrary.org/view/?ref=126_126496-evgsi2gmqj&title=Evaluating_the_initial_impact_of_COVID-19_containment_measures_on_economic_activity)

Trying, and almost certainly failing, to control a virus that would kill under 0.4% of the population, less than four times that of the flu.
    (https://reason.com/2020/04/09/preliminary-german-study-shows-a-covid-19-infection-fatality-rate-of-about-0-4-percent/)

All you can do is shrug your shoulders and wait for reality to re-assert itself.
    You might want to consider reframing your view of the world as this looks conveniently incomplete!
    In a perfect world we'd all have the "alleged" German death rate, the reality is we don't. That so-called 0.4% is with enormous mitigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

He answered the question in English and then was asked to answer again in Irish, no issues there, people are idiots.

The problem with another 3 weeks is the amount of people that won’t take it seriously, if you want to starve the virus you need to go all out like china did, it’s ultimately pointless if everybody isn’t doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

fr336 wrote: »
    Not sure tey have a choice. If they say oh we're locking down to June or even July, people will start a backlash right now and not conform with th current restrictions. Better to have a lockdown in April/May then all the way to September.

I said at the start that the original two weeks was just to get the foot in the door so to speak - to get people used to the idea of restricted movement. This lockdown will rumble on for a good while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So 100% - 95% = 5%

5% of a big number is still a relatively big number.
    Especially in the context of a pandemic. Italy didn’t have a 95% lockdown. China didn’t either.

Check out the numbers from last year and apply 5%. It’s massive. 95 sounds great.

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/tt/tourismandtravelquarter12019/

Give it a rest, the 5% is those on essential travel or Irish citizens being repatriated and having to go into 14 days isolation.

I swear it's people like you that want months and months of lockdown. The airports are empty the flights are empty. We've been through this time and time, get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

This report has severe international implications, and the 'Herd Immunity' notion is toast if proven true.

South Korea reports recovered coronavirus patients testing positive again.
    SEOUL (Reuters) - South Korean officials on Friday reported 91 patients thought cleared of the new coronavirus had tested positive again.

Jeong Eun-kyeong, director of the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC), told a briefing that the virus may have been “reactivated” rather than the patients being re-infected.

South Korean health officials said it remains unclear what is behind the trend, with epidemiological investigations still under way.

The prospect of people being re-infected with the virus is of international concern, as many countries are hoping that infected populations will develop sufficient immunity to prevent a resurgence of the pandemic.

The South Korean figure had risen from 51 such cases on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Someone in Monaghan, Roscommon or Leitrim where there is hardly any cases can't visit relatives down the road.

But hundreds of people can come off ferries and flights from the UK where 9000 have died and likely to be hundreds of thousands infected.

What a joke.

I'd be on for mounting a protest at the ports but that's against the rules of this game we are playing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ok I withdraw those comments and will delete the posts. They were uncalled for.

I'm deeply cynical everytime Varadkar opens his mouth these days as nonsense just flows out.

I suppose the cynicism got the better of me around the whole press conference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,690 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Because that approach relies on people to come forward, which in some cases they can't do and in other cases they won't do. Contact tracing also helps to identify asymptomatic carriers.

anyone I know who has had symptoms and wanted testing, have been unable to get a test, and just told to self-isolate - any that did had long waits to get a test and long wait for result -
    If we cant do these basics correctly, why bother with contract tracing testing, which probably works well in Germany or a better run testing plan - From what I can follow our testing has been dreadfully managed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,246 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only the saddest of people are delighted of lockdown.

Difference between being happy at lockdown and obeying orders that will save hundreds and thousands of lives as well as help hospitals not having worry about who they keep alive.

Bit of difference I think right?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement