Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Someone in Monaghan, Roscommon or Leitrim where there is hardly any cases can't visit relatives down the road.

But hundreds of people can come off ferries and flights from the UK where 9000 have died and likely to be hundreds of thousands infected.

What a joke.

This is not happening as has been pointed out several times in this and other threads already.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

sonic85 wrote: »
    I said at the start that the original two weeks was just to get the foot in the door so to speak - to get people used to the idea of restricted movement. This lockdown will rumble on for a good while yet

I think most of us understood this. Not sure why some are surprised.

I think we could see the start of easing in 3 weeks time, but it wont be a quick process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Ffs. May. A bit ott. Why not take it week by week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Jebus. Meltdown on Twitter over the LC happening. Lots of mentions of mental health and even some mentions of suicides. When did mental health issues become weaponised? I don't really get the controversy. Shouldn't students have been preparing for the possibility the exams might go ahead?

One thing that seems to have become very popular in the discussion on Covid-19 restrictions lately is the argument that everyone in the country is a manic depressive and they are one inconvenience away from suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

froog wrote: »
    most irish people cannot understand it at a level required to follow what was being said there.
    Most of them can't understand basic maths/statistics either, tbf :P

But I'd agree. I'm very pro-Irish, but I feel it does not belong in these announcements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,266 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    It would be an incredibly naive and premature move to lift the restrictions in just two weeks, particularly with the May bank holiday coming up which is probably why they settled on the May 5th date. But I do wonder will they extend it until the June bank holiday

Highly unlikely. After the may bank holiday there'll be a gradual opening of some services etc, gives 4 weeks until the next bank holiday which is more than enough time to see where the cases are at then. Reopen more places after June bank holdiay, restaurants etc

Lifting them now before the may bank holdiay would have been adding petrol to the fire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Clear Communication is key when managing a pandemic.

So they speak in a language the 98.3% don’t speak on a daily basis.you couldn’t make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    This is probably the only time in your life you’ll ever be asked to do this.
    You’re being paid to stay safe at home.
    People are going out working on the front line.
    The least we can do is stay indoors.
    It’s a once in a life time request.
    If we don’t do this the country would soon have hospitals full , more healthcare staff infected who can’t care for patients. People dying when they may have lived if the care was available.

I know it’s not ideal and some people will struggle but look we’re all in the same boat so let’s just get on with it.
    The extension of this lock down is 100% the right decision, so let’s all obey it !

We're all in the same boat except for those coming in on the Boats from the UK and going wherever the hell they want....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The problem with another 3 weeks is the amount of people that won’t take it seriously, if you want to starve the virus you need to go all out like china did, it’s ultimately pointless if everybody isn’t doing it.

But we don't have to eliminate transmission completely to bring cases to zero, just bring the R0 under one and the virus dies out. That's the good news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What do you want to happen so?

Maybe people look at the facts and understand that lesser restrictions will be coming soon. Look at Austria. You can guarantee people won't accept not seeing family for 6+ months indefinitely. Why are you so happy to stay indoors? Maybe you enjoy it but many don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

He answered the question in English and then was asked to answer again in Irish, no issues there, people are idiots.

Well that's just silly sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ffs. May. A bit ott. Why not take it week by week.

Because some people still aren't listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So they speak in a language the 98.3% don’t speak on a daily basis.you couldn’t make it up.

They spoke in English for abut 30 minutes, did you just tune in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Give it a rest, the 5% is those on essential travel or Irish citizens being repatriated and having to go into 14 days isolation.

I swear it's people like you that want months and months of lockdown. The airports are empty the flights are empty. We've been through this time and time, get over it

No-one buys the repatriation stuff anymore. If they are coming from a hotspot they should stay put. They had ample time to come home. There is a good chance many coming are British holiday makers.

There is also a good chance they are going into the community. A very good chance.

As for someone flying into the airport how do you think they go home? In a sealed box? They get a lift from someone in a car or else by bus. This is what going into the community means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Missed the government briefing

Could someone give me the main highlights of it?

Also; maybe we have a separate thread for Irish government briefings instead of lumping everything into The Daily Blur threads. There is just no cohesive conversations in threads of this size

• Registered Users Posts: 39,989 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

We're all in the same boat except for those coming in on the Boats from the UK and going wherever the hell they want....

That isn't happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,771 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Also; maybe we have a separate thread for Irish government briefings instead of lumping everything into The Daily Blur threads. There is just no cohesive conversations in threads of this size

No change to current situation until May 5th, that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

froog wrote: »
    rubbish.

Not rubbish.
    I spent a month on Inis meain and a few of the locals didn’t have much English. I knew a family and the grandfather was constantly lost for words in English, he spoke very basic English and his grandson used to translate for him. The grandson had much better Irish than English also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

Way too many on this thread delighted with extra restrictions. "At least Christmas before we will be back to lesser restrictions or other scaremongering ****e"

Well, if you were a consultant epidemiologist at one of our top hospitals or institutions, I'm sure you would have a seat at the table too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Give it a rest, the 5% is those on essential travel or Irish citizens being repatriated and having to go into 14 days isolation.

I swear it's people like you that want months and months of lockdown. The airports are empty the flights are empty. We've been through this time and time, get over it

Please be civil. Don’t tell me to give it a rest. I have just used the inverse of the same statistic .

It’s people like you who........not arsed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

ShineOn7 wrote: »

3 more weeks of restrictions, LC out to July/August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭blackcard

I am lucky that I am in the 1.7% of people that speak english

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

No-one buys the repatriation stuff anymore. If they are coming from a hotspot they should stay put. They had ample time to come home. There is a good chance many coming are British holiday makers.

British holiday makers? When the entire country is on lockdown and there is literally nothing to do? I'm afraid you are grasping at straws, tobefrank321!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

Only the saddest of people are delighted of lockdown.

Difference between being happy at lockdown and obeying orders that will save hundreds and thousands of lives as well as help hospitals not having worry about who they keep alive.

Bit of difference I think right?

Is there anybody actually delighted with the lockdown? I'm not a very social person so staying in or around the house doesn't bother me that much but there are still places I want to go and things I want to do. This whole thing is a pain in the hole really but its necessary. It's hard to believe there might be people out there that are delighted with restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Way too many on this thread delighted with extra restrictions. "At least Christmas before we will be back to lesser restrictions or other scaremongering ****e"
    You mean happy the restrictions won't be lifted next week?

Yes, I for one am delighted with that. Not because I'm enjoying the lockdown and the people dying etc, but because I know that without the restrictions there would be f*ckwits saying everything is fine and not observing social distancing, leading to more deaths.

Are people happy with the pandemic, the reason for the restrictions? No.
    Are they happy the restrictions are in place to try to deal with the situation? Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

This is not happening as has been pointed out several times in this and other threads already.

But that doesn’t feed into the ‘whataboutery’ narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That isn't happening.

Proof?

Have you visited to check they are in isolation? Have the gardai or HSE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

This is probably the only time in your life you’ll ever be asked to do this.
    You’re being paid to stay safe at home.
    People are going out working on the front line.
    The least we can do is stay indoors.
    It’s a once in a life time request.
    If we don’t do this the country would soon have hospitals full , more healthcare staff infected who can’t care for patients. People dying when they may have lived if the care was available.

I know it’s not ideal and some people will struggle but look we’re all in the same boat so let’s just get on with it.
    The extension of this lock down is 100% the right decision, so let’s all obey it !

Absolutely but i'd go a step further. Anyone who is in receipt of the pandemic payment and caught breaking the restrictions should have the payment removed. Anyone on welfare payments, welfare removed for the duration of the emergency. Anyone in work still should face a steep fine. Unfortunately all some people understand is financial penalties as they could care less about the common good for society.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭chakademus

Will the kids go back to school before September?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Not rubbish.
    I spent a month on Inis meain and a few of the locals didn’t have much English. I knew a family and the grandfather was constantly lost for words in English, he spoke very basic English and his grandson used to translate for him. The grandson had much better Irish than English also.

rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement