Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

polesheep wrote: »
    They are. I know first hand as my wife has been working there, which makes today's extension all the more bizarre.

I get what you mean but I think it's to counteract complacency in the general public wrt social distancing. A ramp up in testing with quicker results coupled with the positive signs in the trend graphs has the optimist in me trying to assert itself again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Tony hasn't explained this well in fairness to the journalists

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

what Is the increase in deaths

Not watching, but going by this thread it will be + 1 George.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭CitizenFloor

Longing wrote:
    I don't blame George. He's right. Why two sets of numbers. Just leave it to one figure.

Which figure would you leave out?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Longing wrote: »
    I don't blame George. He's right. Why two sets of numbers. Just leave it to one figure.
    One set is broken down for the briefing, the other is just a raw up to date figure. CMO says it's how it's done in this kind of scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,665 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

This is like a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

This must be the 6th time he's explained it now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

As with most numbers they are reported in the foggiest way and Tony struggles to clarify any number.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

The patience tony has to listen to that crap is unreal
    Pity he seems unable to give a straight answer

Very deflective with his comments about Germany. He's saying there's a figure they have always reported which is the updated "today" figure (in this case 7,054)

The analysis they do of hospital figures has always been based on yesterday's figures.

The extra 800+ is apparently from Germany, but TBH he's causing more confusion with his comments which worries me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

joe_99 wrote: »
    Tony hasn't explained this well in fairness to the journalists

To be fair, he's bloody knackered

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

ElTel wrote: »
    I get what you mean but I think it's to counteract complacency in the general public wrt social distancing. A ramp up in testing with quicker results coupled with the positive signs in the trend graphs has the optimist in me trying to assert itself again.

Which is dishonesty. You can win through dishonesty as long as you are not found out, but it is a risky gambit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

We are getting back to the old George Lee. I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

So those German ones happened up to 2 weeks ago and so aren’t important in understanding the current situation.

However they were important to our understanding of how the disease evolved.

They should be added to the date where the test occurred. We could see the daily evolution clearer.

It just sounds like the extra thousand isn’t important.

7k vs 8k is important.

Not sure why it's so unclear - journalists' questions is making it so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Longing

Which figure would you leave out?

I'm not qualified for that. One number works best for the average joe like me.

"Killing your granny"?

Quite the empirical approach, that.

You win people over through feelings, not through empiricism.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

is_that_so wrote: »

They intimated a few days ago the numbers were included in the totals - today is the first time they have said no, there is a different total with the German numbers included.
    They haven't made it easy on themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Longing wrote: »

Initially when they started reporting cases, journalists were asking for age/sex breakdowns. They said there would be a detailed report issued. The detailed report is 36hrs old to allow time to break down the figures.
    Hence the 2 different figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

It's explained perfectly clearly. Analyzed figures and up to the minute figures

The journalist questions are confusing everyone!

is_that_so wrote: »

They are just trying to get a straight answer.

Unless they are blurring the figures and tryna stay as vague as possible they should really simplify/proofread their update to avoid making a pigs ear of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

This whole thing stinks of a bunch of bored journos left waiting for a briefing, all talking to each other and causing this confusion amongst themselves, then blaming Tony for it. It was crystal clear and yet they seem to have decided to ambush him, constantly interrupting when he's trying to explain it again and again...

Beasty wrote: »
    Pity he seems unable to give a straight answer

Very deflective with his comments about Germany. He's saying there's a figure they have always reported which is the updated "today" figure (in this case 7,054)

The analysis they do of hospital figures has always been based on yesterday's figures.

The extra 800+ is apparently from Germany, but TBH he's causing more confusion with his comments which worries me

TBH, and I hate to say it given the predicament we are in, but I really believe this man has been exposed as not being up to the job. No matter how many times posters call him 'Tony'.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A dynamic number???

They know how many swabs they have taken. They know how many results they have. Subtract one figure from the other and that's how many are waiting?

fritzelly wrote: »
    They intimated a few days ago the numbers were included in the totals - today is the first time they have said no, there is a different total with the German numbers included.
    They haven't made it easy on themselves
    He said German tests are in both numbers, bigger one is just more up to date but not analysed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

54% of deaths in the Republic were in nursing homes (156):

https://twitter.com/tuairiscnuacht/status/1248670384850964489

RIP to all but that's quite a stat

I thought Ireland and many other countries weren't counting all the Nursing Home moralities as Covid numbers? It's hard to keep up with it all

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is there anything to be said for a couple of slides on powerpoint, or a press handout?

Beasty wrote: »
    A dynamic number???

They know how many swabs they have taken. They know how many results they have. Subtract one figure from the other and that's how many are waiting?

Why is this so hard for them to do? Needless evasion of basic facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

54% of deaths from nursing homes. Surely it would have been quite easy to secure these locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

george lee right now

Funny_541fda_627007.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

156 confirmed Corona positive Deaths in Nursing Homes..... thats justnso sad

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement