Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

288/8089 x 100 = 3.5%

Thanks

I definitely prefer Iceland's 0.4% mortality rate to ours

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm looking forward to seeing Ryan Tubridy on TV tonight. I hope he talks about his experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭phonypony

I really worry now with these continuous cretinous questions that the panel will go away from this questioning themselves and their clarity and start rethinking their delivery of the figures...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

MD1990 wrote: »
    they should just have added the cases from germany today & just said it was a backlog of tests.

If anything it would be good put more put people on alert this weekend & the next few weeks to stick to social distancing.

People should be alert already, but instead they are cruising off to their holiday homes and taking their entire families out to the supermarket. I went to my supermarket earlier and there was a mighty queue of people all standing on top of each other, not even a metre between most of them. That's exactly how it spreads. Sick of watching people being so careless.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who is the Paul who said so we are in the hands so in a sarkly so
    Paul Cullen of the Irish Times. His articles are like that too sometimes.

• Advertisement

I'm looking forward to seeing Ryan Tubridy on TV tonight. I hope he talks about his experience.

I'm looking forward to giving Ryan a wide berth in every sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

In for a massive dose of scour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

7054, 7071, 8089. Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

wakka12 wrote: »
    Um approaching 1000 deaths btw, more importantly. Their cases are low because what is the point in testing large numbers if the goal is herd immunity, testing is just for the purpose of contact tracing and slowing spread, which Sweden have no interest in doing
    Sweden are also prioritising patients, those over 80 years of age don't go to ICU
    source: https://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/samhalle/a/lAyePy/dokument-visar-de-prioriteras-bort-fran-intensivvard

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Right - I've taken an executive decision, and included the extra 1,035 German positives in the thread title update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

polesheep wrote: »
    Which is dishonesty. You can win through dishonesty as long as you are not found out, but it is a risky gambit.

Well let's hope it's a lie. Overly cautious hopefully.
    The infection percentage and no. asymptomatic are needed for any future plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Curious_Case

Who is the Paul who said so we are in the hands so in a sarkly so

Sounds like something Paul McCartney might have said, circa Sgt. Pepper's

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Thanks

I definitely prefer Iceland's 0.4% mortality rate to ours

I think they tested everyone so of course it’ll be lower.

Usually just numbers each day over the weekend and no briefing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Great but very sad program on Sky News at the moment on the disaster in northern Italy.

Very sobering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

Beasty wrote: »
    Right - I've taken an executive decision, and included the extra 1,035 German positives in the thread title update

Be prepared for confusion. Worldometer have us at 7054

That's BS.
    If they're real test results, report them, or else don't report the test result figures at all.
    Fvck in spin spin spin.... I'm no fan of Lee but about some someone asked a few questions from the HSE. Most all of the journalists are busy clapping the HSE, the government and little old Ireland on the back the few weeks, and nobody questioning anything at all.
    I'm surprised at Lee tbh, but he's right to call out the BS if he sees it.
    Why not just report the rests, we're they going to feed the in on Holy Saturday or Easter Sunday when people were distracted and not watching the news or what?

Report them in the total but not the new cases as they are irrelevant to the current situation. I know 3 people waiting on results who had classic Covid symptoms but are fully recovered at least a week. Reporting these and the hundreds more that will likely come back from Germany as positives as new cases serves no purpose other that to stoke fear that things are spinning further out of control. The true picture currently does not include anyone waiting weeks for results. If any of these people had been hospitalised they would likely have gotten a priority test anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭crossman47

I just looked at the press release on the Health website. I can see why the journalists were confused. It clearly says the number of confirmed cases is 7054 and, when the german numbers are added in it is 8089. It then goes on to give a detailed breakdown of the total 7071 number up to midnight Wednesday.This must include the German numbers.

George was presumably asking should he use 7054 or 8089.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I think they tested everyone so of course it’ll be lower.
    Yeah, they tested 10% of the population, we tested ~1%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

At this stage they might as well just take questions from Twitter at the briefings

• Advertisement

dalyboy wrote: »
    If they had locked down ONLY the elderly and immune compromised people from day one we would have 4 positives . (1) the hospital bed / ICU crisis along with Health staff secondary Infections would never have occurred since the most vulnerable would be safe cocooned at home. (2) The public aged 18-55(ish) could have continued working and interacting and fuelling the economy. (3) Herd immunity could have been a reality (or at least tested) .Only a tiny amount of younger people would be dangerously affected & they could have expected decent hospital service as the vulnerable are safe at home. (4) long term economic and mental health damage would have been avoided.
    Instead what we have is the perfect storm which unfortunately looks like it’ll be a complete sh1t show for an unknown long term. Well done guys..

What other countries would we be trading with as normal?

Yeah I understand pubs and cafes would be open, how often do people use them on a daily basis?

Woodies etc would be open, again how many people use these daily?

Building sites would be open, but nearly impossible to social distance on them.

MNC and Irish companies are at least in I.T still working and pharma are still working in my experience, the public services are still working, the latter normally shown nothing but disdain by posters on here, normally the same ones going on about the economy, and I swear at times it is just jealously with some because they have a crap job or couldn't get into a job with the public service.

Your going with the premise that the majority would be fine, possibly, if they catch this, but plenty of people have underlying health issues that they are not aware of.
    So if a mam or dad say in their 30s or 40s dies from it what would you say to their partner or kids?
    What if they are unable to work afterwards due to complications then what do they do then become long term unemployed,? we all know how posters on here feel about long term unemployed people.

Yes there is going to be economic pain after this, but it's not just us who will be in this position.

Sadly some people will commit suicide due to this as well, some if they lose their investments because money is their reason for living, and others if they are treated like they were by the banks and employers in the last recession, bad debts and free labour in the guise of providing work experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Gynoid wrote: »
    I thought I had already found my favourite boards phrases of the day earlier with jimgoose's "knit-your-own-tofu saggy-titted agri-lesbians" but I think now that "omnishambles" wins by a squeak, if only for pithiness.

It's from the greatest political Comedy TV show of all time

I wouldn't be against Malcolm Tucker giving Ireland's daily briefings from now. As least we'd get a straight answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

How do we know where we really are at numbers wise when the testing is so far behind?

Probably we know a good deal more will die and become infected . But instead of looking outwards for numbers, if we look at ourselves, friends, family, neighbors... their wellbeing, behaviors and try and influence (from a distance) as best we can, through admonishment, encouragement, incentives (especially for younger people)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

NDWC wrote: »
    At this stage they might as well just take questions from Twitter at the briefings

So much time wasted clarifying things that anyone with an ounce of intelligence would have understood in 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Worldometer showing us at 7054 when in reality we should be at 8089...they are confused also.

George was dead right.Tony was going on about the 36 hour old figure on which the detailed data analysis was based whereas George was basically asking about how to report the daily difference between last night's total figure of 6574 and tonight's total of 8089.

I cannot see why they couldn't add in the German cases daily as they received them and use them in whatever way they saw fit for their own modelling purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭briany

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    New York now has more cases than any single country in the world soon the US will have more deaths than any country in the world :(

Still, the revised forecasts for the U.S. are now pointing to under 100,000 deaths. While that is still untold suffering for so, so many families around the U.S., it is a positive development in the sense of it being less negative than earlier predictions, and you know Trump will be looking to spin that as a win as the presidential race hits full swing in the Autumn.

4 stage strategy.

Works every time that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

If they tested everyone on the island prob 100,000 people are carrying the virus and they cant do nothing about the spread.It kills old and ill so the rest of society is going to have to get along with life as normal pretty soon.
    If your old stay at home,if your ill same.
    There is no alternative,this solidarity stay at home stuff wont cut it for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Report them in the total but not the new cases as they are irrelevant to the current situation. I know 3 people waiting on results who had classic Covid symptoms but are fully recovered at least a week. Reporting these and the hundreds more that will likely come back from Germany as positives as new cases serves no purpose other that to stoke fear that things are spinning further out of control. The true picture currently does not include anyone waiting weeks for results. If any of these people had been hospitalised they would likely have gotten a priority test anyway

By that logic. Lets not test anyone for 2 / 3 weeks then when the results come back don't UPDATE the previous daily figures on which they occurred.

No point worrying if it is in the past.

Definition of extend and pretend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Great but very sad program on Sky News at the moment on the disaster in northern Italy.

Very sobering.

Channel 4 news had a report from Ecuador :eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement