Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

Wibbs wrote: »
    No doubt some conspiracy nuts will imagine that just like Bill Gates Obama was up to something nefarious. :rolleyes:

The thread on this in the ct form is an example of the saying, there's one born every minute is accurate, and that unfortunately care in the community is failing for some..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Make of it what you will - when it comes to countries of comparative sizes & populations, we are not doing very well.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population-for-European-Countires-with-less-than-10-M-and-greterthan-4-M-population.png

what do the numbers look like if you go over 2 million to under 5 million people? over 1 million?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

New Home wrote: »
    In that case, I hope you're one of the lucky ones who only get cold symptoms. Fingers crossed!!

Fingers crossed. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Just been on booking.com and you can still book rooms. And some places have one room left for tomorrow night. I thought we're all meant to stay at home?

Those "room one left" etc. comments are fake.

According to the consumer watchdog, five out of 10 of Booking.com's "only 1 room left on our site" claims failed to give an accurate picture of availability.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49740143

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

Seamai wrote: »
    Ultimately it will be the deaths that people will remember, not the number of cases in relation to other countries.

Even just comparing deaths, countries have different methods of reporting or deciding what is and what isn’t a death attributable to covid19.
    For this reason I think these country comparisons are a total waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Make of it what you will - when it comes to countries of comparative sizes & populations, we are not doing very well.
    Deaths-per-1-M-population-for-European-Countires-with-less-than-10-M-and-greterthan-4-M-population.png

But something that has been said hundreds of times over, every country is reporting differently, I think Ireland is one of the few countries from the get go including deaths outside hospitals - in nursing homes for instance - so our numbers are going to be higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Well, I'll be taking a forced 2 weak break from the hospital. Pretty gutting but hopefully back in action asap.
    Stay well. Hope you get back rested and raring to go. edit; just seen 2nd message, hopefully you will be one of the 80% and doctor yourself at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

How is worldometer show a figure of 1500 new cases for us today?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

New Home wrote: »
    They could be for essential/critical staff who can't go home. Wild guess on my part, though.

I'd like to think this as well but hostels as well. They wouldn't be sharing rooms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/intelligence/491712-us-intelligence-warned-in-november-that-virus-spreading

U.S. intelligence officials warned in November that the coronavirus spreading in China’s Hubei region could become a “cataclysmic event,” ABC News reported Wednesday.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disease_X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Apart from nursing homes we have about 150 dead, if that is doing bad, then what is all the fuss about?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Best of luck over there.

Suppose to be travelling to Lanzarote in July. Whats your thoughts on tourism in spain this year?

You rely to a post, where the poster says he doesn't think Spain will exist in a few months, and then ask him about Spanish tourism this year?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

And they are all getting paid. And chose the job. I have the height of respect for them but some are just short of beatifying them.

Respect in a suck it up and do the job you get paid for kinda way - gotcha ;)

Next time there is a major gorse fire - like the ones we had recently (e.g. https://www.thejournal.ie/fire-killarney-national-park-5061442-Mar2020/) why don't you go tell the firefighters they are being paid so shut up looking for any brownie points.
    Maybe tell any medic in burn units too.

And no-one said anything about beatifying - I said risking setting swathes of the fecking countryside on fire is a bloody stupid thing to do. And it is particularly stupid when we need the emergency services for other very important roles - like those ambulances the fire services use to bring really ill people to hospital.
    It is beyond ironic when the 'reason' is to honour frontline workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Those "room one left" etc. comments are fake.

According to the consumer watchdog, five out of 10 of Booking.com's "only 1 room left on our site" claims failed to give an accurate picture of availability.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-49740143

It would be interesting to see if it was possible to make a booking (and cancel it afterwards). This morning, Airbnb allowed me make a reservation for a room in a host`s house in Sutton for this weekend (which I cancelled afterwards)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Ryan Tubridy just had a mild cough. I don't understand how people are getting it worse.

Kenny Dalglish has tested positive with no symptoms. Probably many more like him.

Some experts have made a link to viral load. So if someone touched an infected door handle they get a mild version. Whereas a medical professional with inadequate PPE who is coughed on might get a far higher viral load and a severe form.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Fair to middling. Is it going to rain?

r0rHSA2.png

• Registered Users Posts: 17,483 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Do we know the correct true number waiting on tests in ROI?

It's in line with international standards and we are testing those that need testing

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Kenny Dalglish has tested positive with no symptoms. Probably many more like him.

Some experts have made a link to viral load. So if someone touched an infected door handle they get a mild version. Whereas a medical professional with inadequate PPE who is coughed on might get a far higher viral load and a severe form.

Why was he tested with no symptoms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

RobertKK wrote: »
    They added in figures for retirement homes that had not been added before now and not from the previous 24 hours, the real figure is 114.

I mean their overall figures. Not today's. Over 3000 dead. Over 1000 critical. Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭rm212

My Norwegian partner was just reading an article from back home and translated it for me; Sweden is using animal anaesthetic due to shortages of human anaesthetic for ventilation patients in ICU... for those who have said we should have followed Sweden’s model because it’s so perfect. Sh*ts hitting the fan there, hospitals are starting to struggle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Why was he tested with no symptoms?

He was in for another procedure and they teated him.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

So a vaccine....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    How is worldometer show a figure of 1500 new cases for us today?

Noticed this myself, when did it jump to over 8000 cases?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Caquas

Here’s the Taoiseach’s statement today announcing another three weeks of shutdown.

Why? “ medical experts”.

What’s the plan? Nada.

This decision was probably unavoidable but the Taoiseach must give leadership, show vision, explain how we will get out of this disaster. Not “here’s what the doctors ordered” so let’s sit around while the economy vanishes before our eyes.

What will happen on the 6th. of May? No clue. My guess? Fiddly changes relaxing some restrictions because we’ll all be ready to revolt. But our economy will be destroyed by June.

http://https://www.gov.ie/en/speech/a7249f-speech-by-the-taoiseach-with-update-on-latest-covid-19-public-health/

Deliciously fact-free and now with two bonus Seamus Heaney quotes. (Guess which one is genuine?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

sideswipe wrote: »
    I need a drink......

Well that didn’t help much.......the question now is keep drinking or go to bed?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Noticed this myself, when did it jump to over 8000 cases?

We’ve been through this at least twice.

480 - today’s figure

The rest have been backdated to the date the test swabs were taken as they were then sent to Germany for the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Sorry, I'm living in Spain - the epicentre of this ****ing ****.

Very likely the country won't exist in the next few months and ill be dead myself, I wish I could go back to Ireland - linear growth and seems to be well under control.

My brother lives in France and he agrees with you. He says Spain and Italy are f**ked for good now. He’s had the virus and was very sick for a week and on two or three days he thought his goose was cooked but he’s better now. He never went near the hospital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

So a vaccine....

LOL

I wonder does Ryan have any indication of how he was exposed?

I read tobefranks bit and I'm thinking if there's any way I could get this in a controlled environment. I think I would do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

owlbethere wrote: »
    LOL

I wonder does Ryan have any indication of how he was exposed?

I read tobefranks bit and I'm thinking if there's any way I could get this in a controlled environment. I think I would do it.

Absolutely. But we'll let a few others try it out first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement