Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,831 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Oh bol*ox!

You can say that again..

Utter attention seeking exploitation....

We just had 8 weeks of that nonsense..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Bobtheman wrote: »
    How long are restrictions going to stay in place??

I would imagine for as long as it takes, at least another month if not 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,418 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

I’ve been working for the HSE for the past 5 years.

What’s your role?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,831 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Leo is a Taoiseach, not a “doctor.“ This latest move reeks of spin; well-intentioned or not..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Silverbonnet

Am I missing something? All the reaction on the news and elsewhere is positive towards this states actions towards the virus. We're doing well compared to the UK yes but look at the stats, we're doing awfully overall!

On the deaths per million chart, we're 16th in the world. We're high up the total deaths list as well. It'snot good at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has today been informed that 21 patients diagnosed with COVID-19 in Ireland have died.

17 deaths located in the east, 2 in the south, 2 in the west of the country
    the patients included 9 females and 12 males
    12 patients were reported as having underlying health conditions
    the median age of today’s reported deaths is 81
    There have now been 158 COVID-19 related deaths in Ireland.

The median age of deaths in Ireland is 81.

The Health Protection Surveillance Centre has been informed of 390 new confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland, as at 1pm, Sunday 5th April.

There are now 4,994 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

How is he going to save a life over the phone?? Jesus wept.
    Yes, he can save a life over the phone. I doubt that he is answering the phone and telling people the weather-forecast. Now that GP surgeries are largely performing most their duties via telephones, it hardly diminishes their importance. People often sit at home will various ailments, not realising how serious it is (E.g. the asthmatic who has become so breathless, they cannot speak in full sentences or the person with new chest tightness and a previous heart attack). By speaking on the phone to a trained medical profession, they can be appropriately triaged. This can be the matter between life and death. Certain illnesses must be dealt with urgently. It takes many years of training to screen and gather the pertinent information, and to make the proper clinical call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    We could have 500 cases a day if back log in testing and results is sorted out

21 deaths is high, RIP

There is talk of clusters in direct provision centres

Would the residents of direct provision centres be taking this virus and all the guidelines absolutely seriously? Like staying in isolation where in their centre where possible instead of going out and about into public/shoppi

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So with these test results coming back in, does that make the current figures more promising? i.e. that they aren't going much up from the circa. 8%
    We'll probably be able to see at the end of the week. IMO they might extend it for a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

So with these test results coming back in, does that make the current figures more promising? i.e. that they aren't going much up from the circa. 8%

Hard to tell, I'd say so but probably going to take time given the backlog. Like 1 poster said they got the results after 2 weeks. So realistically that case would be maybe 3 weeks old.
    I'd give it until the end of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,976 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Steer55 wrote: »
    Fantastic gesture by Leo. Not alone has he shown such examplary leadership throughout the crisis but to actually roll up his sleeves in the midst of it all and help out says alot about the man. Fair play to him.

What's he done exactly ?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

Yeah they started coming in Friday evening.
    Hope your daughter is doing well.

When Holohan was asked that on Friday he said the first batch would come in over the weekend. I sensed from his response that we’d see them come into the figure either Sunday or most probably Monday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I was just making the point that the US does not have an excellent healthcare system
    I accept that, but they realise they have to find a way to try and slow the spread, and they need to provide healthcare to anyone with this virus that needs it. Arguably any of the "undocumented" may be in a difficult position and may not even seek help when they really need it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

The PM of Brazil thinks the coronavirus is fake news but you believe his figures
    About one third of Americans have either no or inadequate health insurance, so they are screwed

So you think 1,000's are dropping dead in Brazil and Mexico... but it's being hidden from the world's media? lol

Okay...

Actually all Americans are being treated for covid19. That's what I've been hearing anyway.

So I think they'll be okay. The media likes to scare their people senseless over there... and many on this side of the pond also get caught up in that media hype. The picture can quite often be very different to what is being painted in their media!

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

How is he going to save a life over the phone?? Jesus wept.

He could or will, by deciphering whether someone should self isolate, or tracing a community vector, contact tracing , advising on getting tested or go to a G. P etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

And a very foolish risk too, if that is the case...

But of course all the slobbering FG tailwaggers on here won't care whether it's a sensible thing for our taoiseach to be doing... they just love the heroic symbolism of it.

But then we can hardly blame Leo... the man was elected for almost purely leftist symbolic ideals. He's simply fulfilling the role he was cherry picked for!

It's a real shame he's doing it while people are literally dying everyday though... I would much rather he just ran the damn country and dropped all the PR sh!te tbh!
    are you Eamon O'Cuiv ?

walshb wrote: »
    Leo is a Taoiseach, not a “doctor.“ This latest move reeks of spin; well-intentioned or not..

Stop being so negative. What's wrong with him using his GP skills to help out?

Would it be better if he was on TV all day sprouting incoherent nonsense like the leader across the other side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Am I missing something? All the reaction on the news and elsewhere is positive towards this states actions towards the virus. We're doing well compared to the UK yes but look at the stats, we're doing awfully overall!

On the deaths per million chart, we're 16th in the world. We're high up the total deaths list as well. It'snot good at all!

That's a meaningless league table as we are all at different stages of infection and at different points in our responses. Only at the end will we be able to draw any conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

When Holohan was asked that on Friday he said the first batch would come in over the weekend. I sensed from his response that we’d see them come into the figure either Sunday or most probably Monday.

Pretty sure I read in the paper today that they started to filter back Friday evening which would probably mean they'd be coming into yesterdays and today's figures little by little probably more by monday.

I could be wrong, I'll try and find where I read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Remember, much maligned Sweden, with a 10m population had 387 new cases and 28 deaths today. Our population is 4.8m.

I'm not advocating their approach, merely pointing out we're doing ok. Nothing better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Beasty wrote: »
    Oh FFS!!!

Fat Finger Syndrome

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

So the numbers since Friday have been including (some) of the backlog? That makes them even more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Longing

It was said in a news conference German test results will be coming in this week.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What's he done exactly ?

What have you done apart from being a hurler on the ditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

What's he done exactly ?

"Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week during the coronavirus crisis" on the phones.

What's he done exactly ?

What have you done apart from being a hurler on the ditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

you dont get it, as long as our health service can handle the virus we are ok, it's when a country's health service cant, that the **** hits the fan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Of today's new cases, how many are community spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,235 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What's Leo done exactly ?
    Our Leo the telephone operator hero

Ireland’s premier Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner and will work one shift a week during the coronavirus crisis, Reuters reports.
    Varadkar is reportedly helping out with phone assessments, as anybody who may have been exposed to the virus is initially assessed over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Kieran_M wrote: »
    How chaotic would it be to have the country's leader as a doctor in your local GP office/A&E :D

Tbh I'm glad we've a medically trained taoiseach. Suddenly Boris's degree in classics from Oxford is looking next to useless.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement