Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Wolf359f wrote: »
    Spain peaked 19 days after their lockdown.
    Italy peaked 18 days after their's
    And France after 16 days
    We locked down 7 days ago (feels like months ago)
    So a peak possibly in 9-12 days.
    I would hope the schools closing, pubs closing and Leo's Paddy's day speech would be seeing dividends by now.
    If a high proportion of our deaths are from nursing homes, it maybe hard to see the effects of the earlier closures.
    Needless to say, the experts would know all those details and they are the ones advising the government.

We closed our bars march 15th, then phased in additional measures on different dates, I still expect peak this coming week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Silverbonnet

you dont get it, as long as our health service can handle the virus we are ok, it's when a country's health service cant, that the **** hits the fan

What? Our numbers are shocking. It's just being hidden because the UK is such a disaster case. We're not doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

paddythere wrote: »
    In theory, if we all stay in and stop spreading it, eventually everyone who has it will either die or recover and there will be no way for it to spread, IN THEORY...in my opinion this strategy could have worked if we done it 6 weeks ago when the writing was on the wall
    every other country would have to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

every other country would have to do the same
    Yes. Unless we close our borders indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

Would prefer competency meself. When the dust settles the history books shall not be kind in regards to his time in office. And judging by the haunted look of him, he well knows it.

He doesn’t look too well the last few days. I hope he’s okay.

• Advertisement

4 weeks of kids isolated at home has killed off a lot of the standard viruses and illnesses circling I’m guessing as well as cancelled clinics to allow for surge

Yes I was thinking that. There’s less chance for the normal viruses to circulate

What? Our numbers are shocking. It's just being hidden because the UK is such a disaster case. We're not doing well.

We are doing ok, ICU is not over run, a lot of deaths appear to be nursing homes.

pressure on a county's health service is how you measure this,
    We only have an average health service but they seem to be coping ok

deaglan1 wrote: »
    Sobering when you remove microstates - our deaths per 1 M pop are high enough, just below Sweden, the country that has curtailed nothing!!!

It's horrendous. We're at an advantage over most and tobe so far up that table is sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

gabeeg wrote: »
    They're not hypochondriacs - they're people with symptoms of a killer virus in the middle of a ****ing pandemic.

If you had a cough and shortness of breath right now you can be damn sure you'd want a test. You wouldn't get one of course. No fever.
    want a test for what ? theres no treatment u muppet. seems your the one hysteric and would be first to cry with a bit of sniffle on ya

• Advertisement

Drumpot wrote: »
    I suppose I think it’s more important that we learn to sweep our own side of the road. Even if China outlaws these markets, people are people. In the middle of nowhere , people will still eat animals that aren’t safe. There are less educated countries that will have poor hygiene aswell that increases the chances of virus spreading and mutating.

So it’s more important we do what the asian Countries did after SARS and presume we will have another outbreak to deal with and plan that way. Again, it’s about looking at what role you can play in the solution, rather then expecting somebody else to take all that responsibility.

Yes absolutely

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

In terms of the hard numbers/stats, the U.S are currently doing better than Ireland...

How do they compare?

easypazz wrote: »
    We are doing ok, ICU is not over run, a lot of deaths appear to be nursing homes.

Same in other places? Why are our numbers so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Am I missing something? All the reaction on the news and elsewhere is positive towards this states actions towards the virus. We're doing well compared to the UK yes but look at the stats, we're doing awfully overall!

On the deaths per million chart, we're 16th in the world. We're high up the total deaths list as well. It'snot good at all!

I know your every post is to decry any hint of success in the strategies so far, but save the unbridled ire until it's all over and we have proper like for like figures to compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

So when is it expected to peak in Ireland ?

I think this week will be the top of a flattened curve, and continue at that level for 2 weeks before declining.

It's horrendous. We're at an advantage over most and tobe so far up that table is sickening.
    are you sick

pressure on a county's health service is how you measure this,
    We only have an average health service but they seem to be coping ok

Who says? You? People dying from this is how you measure it. For all the criticism of Trump, the US is doing better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Behind the disastrous Trump in that table too, we have nice PR though.

Same in other places? Why are our numbers so bad?

Our numbers are not bad, where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭moonage

Covid19 Death Figures “A Substantial Over-Estimate”:

Bizarre guidelines from health authorities around the world are potentially including thousands of deceased patients who were never even tested.

https://off-guardian.org/2020/04/05/covid19-death-figures-a-substantial-over-estimate/

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    I know your every post is to decry any hint of success in the strategies so far, but save the unbridled ire until it's all over and we have proper like for like figures to compare.

Success? 158 deaths so far. Look at countries of similar population, there's no success here. Compared to the UK we're doing well, that's saying nothing.

Who says? You? People dying from this is how you measure it. For all the criticism of Trump, the US is doing better than us.
    you need help

Where are they on the curve though?

We may be at peak, we are certainly closer to it than they are.

easypazz wrote: »
    Our numbers are not bad, where did I say that?

It's on the table, read it. Our numbers per million are awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

Er, wha'?

Nurses in the media today wondering when ythe surge is happening. The health service is coping very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Success? 158 deaths so far. Look at countries of similar population, there's no success here. Compared to the UK we're doing well, that's saying nothing.

True, but only if all countries are counting the same way.

Most being elderly people in nursing homes by the sounds of things.

you need help

Ad hominem. Tell me how we're doing better than the US?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

That will change very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭keynes

Looney1 wrote: »
    I'm really struggling with the strategy here. We keep the numbers down as much as possible with lockdown. Then we let the 99.5% of people who have not got the virus back out into the world to set off another surge?????????

The lockdown actually increases the number of susceptible people, so nothing has changed regarding the virulence of a likely second wave

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement