Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18 Silverbonnet

blackcard wrote: »
    The population density in Sweden is a third of ours?

And Sweden are doing horribly. Don't you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

i find it very strange that anyone would defend 🇨🇳 china's handling of this.
    i guarantee you they will be hated for years to come.
    people are dying in tens of thousands.
    go tell the son or daughter of a mother of father who was lost to this your xenophobic.
    they would probably knock your lights out.
    we are sick of pc guff my god even in these times posters are still at it. motives eh?

6 trillion in damages sounds about right when this is all over..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

go tell the son or daughter of a mother of father who was lost to this your xenophobic.
    we are sick of pc guff my god even in these times posters are still at it. motives eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

In terms of the hard numbers/stats, the U.S are currently doing better than Ireland...

How do they compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

gabeeg wrote: »
    Oxygen is a treatment. Ventilators are a treatment. Intubation is a treatment.

yada yada yada

Not if you test positive. Go home and quarantine is what you are told. Same as Ryan Tubridy, Claire Byrne etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,990 ✭✭✭893bet

USA are only getting started. They will have 4-5k deaths a day in two weeks time I think. You only have to look at the state by state break down to see how few cases have been identified in most states. The virus is there and it will spread exponentially in each state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

coastwatch wrote: »
    The UK does not currently include deaths in nursing homes, only hospitals.
    The irish report includes nursing homes.
    France wasn't including nursing home deaths either, not sure about any other country.
    So unless all countries are reporting in the same way, it's very difficult to compare.

Are you 100% we're including nursing home deaths in our stats?

I can't find anything on it, outside of this place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

They were talking about tests on RTE news and showed what I presume was todays press conference. A woman said there had been 37000 tests. This means if they are up to date figures then we have had 7000 tests since last Monday. If only Irish tests have been include then we are testing 1400 per day, if the 2000 German figures are included in the 7000 then we are doing 1000 per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A lot of wasted talk here about numbers, todays cases and testing.

The only number that can be used to gauge anything today is deaths And it’s increased on yesterday. That will Probably continue for the Next few days. If by next weekend we start seeing deaths decreasing For consecutive days then we are doing well and on the way “down”

It’s morbid, but it’s the most reliable figure that we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

walshb wrote: »
    Still hundreds per day testing positive...we’re quite a way still to go.

Are we to expect a surge all next week?

Increasing numbers of tests expected...4500 per day..

They said only if they have the chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

Ficheall wrote: »
    Isn't Leo just working on the phones?
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/coronavirus-varadkar-returns-to-practising-medicine-to-help-during-crisis-1.4221463

"It is understood the Taoiseach is helping out in phone assessments. Anyone who may have been exposed to Covid-19 is initially assessed over the phone rather than in person, to curb the spread of the virus."

The Taoiseach's decision to chip in with his medical knowledge is not just a practical move to share a load but a symbolic gesture to show solidarity with the national effort.
    Contrast this with the hilarious hypocrisy on display in Scotland -where Sturgeon and her CMO are now damaged goods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

NH2013 wrote: »
    Yes but I believe a lot of this comes down to how we record the deaths here, our figures are for any death of someone who has tested positive for Corona, regardless if that was the leading cause of death, a contributing factor, or totally unrelated. As it stands, you could test positive for corona here, be mildly symtomatic, walk out the front door and be hit by a car and you'd still go down in the table of "Death of a person confirmed to be infected with COVID-19"

So our numbers are quite conservative and may skew the graph to make us look worse than other countries on a comparison basis.

Compare this to Germany where if you've an underlying condition then you're not to be put down as a COVID death, only deaths with no underlying health conditions there are recorded as COVID deaths, so to compare us to other countries, while perhaps interesting isn't a good measure.

What is important is our growth rate of deaths, our occupancy of ICUs and he countries general compliance with measures as a measure for how good we're doing on combating this virus.

That is a great post! It would be interesting to see the inpatient death rate of patients admitted with Covid-related illnesses compared across countries. I think that this would tell us the comparative efficiency of the health-system. But the caveat to that measure would be that it misses the individuals who cannot access healthcare for whatever reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

Plenty of people die from smoking, alcohol and poor diet and we in Ireland are suckers for a drink-fueled party - I am not sure there has been an increase in the overall death rate over the last 3 weeks, certainly road traffic deaths are down

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭threeball

paddythere wrote: »
    We have to close borders obviously

For how long, 2yrs, 3yrs, maybe 10? This isnt going anywhere soon. You either gain immunity through exposure or vaccination or you're just waiting for the bomb to go off again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Boris Johnson has been admitted to hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Shn99 wrote: »

Wow. Wonder how bad or just precautionary.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tony Holihan confirmed in a briefing last week

Shn99 wrote: »

No doubts the orange one will be sending thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Wow. Wonder how bad or just precautionary.

Must be bad unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

we are sick of pc guff

OK who's grandad is this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Who says? You? People dying from this is how you measure it. For all the criticism of Trump, the US is doing better than us.
    3vi542.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Lord Bath (Longleat) has died at the age of 87 after contracting coronavirus.

A great character and a true eccentric.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭political analyst

https://conservativewoman.co.uk/if-the-virus-is-so-bad-why-are-european-death-rates-down/
    What, then, is the picture emerging of Covid-19? It is of a virus that may infect between 5 and 20 per cent of a population, with around half of those not showing any symptoms. A virus that may already have infected most of the people it is going to infect, having been active in populations for some time longer than we have been aware of. A virus that is not in most places resulting (yet) in more deaths than average for the time of year.

This picture fits well with the death rate of around 0.1 per cent (or the same as flu) ascribed to it by a significant number of virologists, immunologists and epidemiologists around the world, including John Ioannidis, Sucharit Bhakdi, Stefan Hockertz, Pablo Goldschmidt, Giulio Tarro, Carsten Scheller, Yanis Roussel, and Eran Bendavid and Jay Bhattacharya.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Seen on the news that we have 109 ICU beds available, on current numbers that could be filled in the next 2-3 days, THEN we'll see many more deaths, a very sobering thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,818 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Boris Johnson checked into hospital
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52177125

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Holohan said last week that just 15 of our Deaths had been in hospital.

They said only if they have the chemicals.

The way I heard it they have materials to do 4500 tests a day all this week, they are not sure what they will have next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Must be bad unfortunately.

He looked flustered the other day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

gmisk wrote: »
    Boris Johnson checked into hospital
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52177125

Oh dear, Rabb is in charge - at least he knows where Dover is now and what happens there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement