Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Must be bad unfortunately.

i dunno, i'd say they take zero chances with a prime minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭threeball

Seen on the news that we have 109 ICU beds available, on current numbers that could be filled in the next 2-3 days, THEN we'll see many more deaths, a very sobering thought.

Its been in and around that number for a week. Its not going to fill in 3 days unless theres a huge seachange from what we've seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭timmy_mallet

walshb wrote: »
    Still hundreds per day testing positive...we’re quite a way still to go.

Are we to expect a surge all next week?

Increasing numbers of tests expected...4500 per day..

Positive tests are essentially irrelevant, if you're concern is that we aren't testing enough, because those requiring hospital would be in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

froog wrote: »

They’re not going to bring him anywhere near a hospital unless it’s serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

If it was just a precaution I think there'd be a reassuring video tweet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Seen on the news that we have 109 ICU beds available, on current numbers that could be filled in the next 2-3 days, THEN we'll see many more deaths, a very sobering thought.
    aah, a few mite leave the ICU beds as well one way or another so you calculations mite not be accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Must be bad unfortunately.

They’re really downplaying it - “precautionary” , “further tests”. But we all know that if you get sent to hospital over this virus, things must be pretty bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I doubt he'd allow himself go in unless absolutely necessary. I wouldn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Well, do you think the ones above are under reporting? I mean, youd assume Sweden are accurate.

France just recently changed their method which meant a significant rise. I wouldn’t have a clue how anyone is reporting their numbers but the method isn’t consistent across countries

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes. So it will be a tough ask of those 70 plus to remain in isolation, when restrictions gradually ease for every one else. I suspect that might be what the strategy will be once new cases are are in very low figures. Along with other measures such as anyone coming into the country having to self-isolate for 14 days, unless we develop the technology that enable each passenger to do a five minute test on arrival that will establish if they have the virus or not.

Those tests are in existence, scaling up and ensuring reliability is next step.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭threeball

They’re really downplaying it - “precautionary” , “further tests”. But we all know that if you get sent to hospital over this virus, things must be pretty bad.

He must have pneumonia. There's no other reason to bring him in now. I wonder are Cummings comments ringing in his ears now. He'd have to be worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Some people love misery . You get the vibe they want Boris Johnson to be in a serious condition in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

gabeeg wrote: »
    If it was just a precaution I think there'd be a reassuring video tweet

Will always be downplayed ya don’t go to hospital in the middle of a pandemic if your fine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

gmisk wrote: »
    Boris Johnson checked into hospital
    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-52177125

I'm sure lots here will be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

His girlfriend Carrie is just recovering from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Jaaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭Jizique

I doubt he'd allow himself go in unless absolutely necessary. I wouldn't.

He lost a bit of weight and got the hair tidied to run for leader but he doesn’t come across as the healthiest; there was a stark contrast to also when he was over in Dublin a few months ago

Exactly. The optics of this hospitalisation for Covid-19, in the context of his handshaking interview on Sky a few weeks ago, are awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

I hope Boris gets well soon. To be admitted to hospital he must be quite sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

And when they use wording like that its code for a holding statement until they make a full announcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

if god forbid boris were to die, the panic in the UK would be off the charts, i would fear for them big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

And when they use wording like that its code for a holding statement until they make a full announcement.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

A medical professional speculating on BBC Radio 5 now that he may have developed a secondary infection that requires antibiotics. Anyway, bad and all as Johnson has been as a politician, hopefully he will recover fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

fits wrote: »

This is a very good point

• Registered Users Posts: 17,803 ✭✭✭✭bilston

fits wrote: »

This is a very good point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Has anyone heard anything about Ryan Tubridy? We had updates on Ciara Kelly and Claire Byrne. I hope he's improving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

easypazz wrote: »
    The way I heard it they have materials to do 4500 tests a day all this week, they are not sure what they will have next week.

From what i heard that I understood that they have capacity for 4500 if they have enough reagent but they dont know if they will have reagent.

They seem to be doing less that 1500 a day at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

gabeeg wrote: »
    Oxygen is a treatment. Ventilators are a treatment. Intubation is a treatment.

yada yada yada

I think that this is a question of semantics:
    There are two types of treatment- supportive and definitive (curative) treatment

Basically, in a small proportion of cases, when a person is exposed to a virus, his/her immune system causes a multi organ dysfunction I.e. the lungs, kidneys, heart, etc stop working. Left untreated, this will kill a person. So, in hospital or critical care for more serious cases, a person’s organs are “supported” (the work is done for the organs), while the natural course of the illness to proceeds. This support does not alter the course of the illness. I.e. it does not stop the Covid virus proliferating or activating the immune response. A curative treatment is one that actually aims to halt the progression of the natural course of the illness. There is insufficient clinical trial data to determine if there is any curative treatments for Covid-19, at this present time

Jizique wrote: »
    He lost a bit of weight and got the hair tidied to run for leader but he doesn’t come across as the healthiest; there was a stark contrast to also when he was over in Dublin a few months ago

He looked quite overweight recently. Obesity is a major factor in severity of Covid-19. Best of luck to the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Holohan said last week that just 15 of our Deaths had been in hospital.

We definitely are.The CMO was asked that last Friday.

In addition the high rate of deaths outside hospital must be nursing homes I presume....they are hardly deaths at home.

In addition I think the median age in ICU was 62 but median age of those who died was 82.This would all point to nursing home deaths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement