Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Talisman

fritzelly wrote: »
    Yet in Ireland more females are testing positive..
    That was my point. Does that mean that more females in Ireland are presenting themselves for testing? Or is it possible that females in certain age profiles are less healthy than their male counterparts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Not a big fan of Boris Johnson, but those Russian bot sites are certainly trying to de-stablize Western democracies with their incredlous fake news. I mean it's quite possible Johnson is experiencing serious symptoms, but that Russian site does not know anything and is just stirring the crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

RIP to them all the misfortunes :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Also, I can understand the desire of all in Downing Street not to have an ambulance turn up and fuel rumours, when his police protection could convey him to any number of London hospitals in minutes.

Yes and as the prime minister there is no doubt his health has been closely monitored and I am sure all the necessary measures have been taken to avoid having an ambulance picking him up. I.e. constant monitoring to detect a worsening of his condition and try to send him to the hospital ahead of him being critical; and in case of an emergency have a regular car ready with some medical staff and equipment so that things can be done “quietly”.

Any decently organised country would do that to try and avoid panic and speculation when an ambulance shows up to pick up the leader of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

I hope Joe Exotic doesnt catch it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Talisman wrote: »
    That was my point. Does that mean that more females in Ireland are presenting themselves for testing? Or is it possible that females in certain age profiles are less healthy than their male counterparts?

Men usually die earlier than women so more elderly women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I'm not sure what this means, I just found it interesting. Scientific studies have concluded that males are more susceptible to infection than females. (Previous post)

The distribution of cases in Italy reflect this but the numbers to date in South Korea and Ireland go against it.

Distribution of Coronavirus cases in Italy as of April 3, 2020, by gender
    54% Maies

Distribution of Coronavirus cases in South Korea as of April 3, 2020, by gender
    40% Maies

Covid-19: 21 further deaths, 390 new cases in Republic of Ireland

I would say that there are more older women in care homes in Ireland so if many of the cases are from care homes then more women will be affected by the virus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Bob24 wrote: »
    Yes as the prime minister there is no doubt his health has been closely monitored and I am sure all the necessary measures have been taken to avoid having an ambulance picking him up. I.e. constant monitoring to detect a worsening of his condition and try to send him to the hospital ahead of him being critical; and in case of an emergency have a regular car ready with some medical staff and equipment so that things can be done “quietly”.

Any decently organised country would do that to avoid panic and speculation when the ambulance shows up.

You can be sure they plan for all eventualities and whatever equipment required to get him to hospital in an ambulance night be quickly retrofitted to a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Credit to Leo Varadkar for pitching in to practically help his fellow medics in the health service. Yes it's only one shift a week but its a positive step. When you see Boris and Donald in their respective countries it makes me proud to see what a fine job Tony H, Simon H and Leo V are doing here. Keeping my fingers crossed that we keep the death toll low. These are scary times.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭marilynrr

I'm not sure what this means, I just found it interesting. Scientific studies have concluded that males are more susceptible to infection than females. (Previous post)
    ]

I read that people with blood type A are more vulnerable also!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Our prime minister saying he is going back to the frontline if necessary

Their prime minister is in ICU

And that speech by the queen (never thought I would hear her saying such things again after ww2)

The **** is just about to hit the fan on these islands unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/05/boris-johnson-admitted-to-hospital-with-coronavirus

“ The Guardian was told last week that Johnson was more seriously ill than either he or his officials were prepared to admit, and that he was being seen by doctors who were concerned about his breathing.”

he didn't look well yesterday, speaking on BBC through skype, looked like he was in pyjamas

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

And that speech by the queen (never thought I would hear her saying such things again after ww2)

I don't think itl get much worse than it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

And on that positive note goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

I hope Joe Exotic doesnt catch it

He has it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Boris Johnson admitted to hospital where does it say he is in ICU ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭boardise

Not surprising.She had no option.

True-that must have been screamingly obvious to anyone with an ounce of political nous.
    Sturgeon looks woefully weak after not demanding the resignation straight off.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Part of it may be because of so much testing being related to the nursing homes at present.?
    They have many more older wemon than men to test positive even though more older men may eventually die because of it.?

he didn't look well yesterday, speaking on BBC through skype, looked like he was in pyjamas

That wasn't even yesterday, it was from Friday, so must be a lot worse now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,686 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Strange story : would they really test a tiger at a zoo to see if it had Coronavirus?? It's a very specific test I believe.

• Advertisement

statesaver wrote: »
    Boris Johnson admitted to hospital where does it say he is in ICU ??

Speculation. He would'nt be going in unless he was fair bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    I don't think itl get much worse than it is now.

I love the optimism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

This is an article about the testing that goes on in the NVRL.

For anyone interested in the process from swab to result and the time it takes.

https://www.pressreader.com/ireland/irish-independent/20200404/281621012445254

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭blackcard

Surprising that Boris was taken to hospital this evening. The Queen's speech was obviously timed to act as a fillip to the British people. Unless it was necessary, I would have thought that Boris would have held off until the morning so as not to dilute her message particularly as
    medical assistance was available to him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

Strazdas wrote: »
    Strange story : would they really test a tiger at a zoo to see if it had Coronavirus?? It's a very specific test I believe.

They only tested those that had recently travelled from Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

blackcard wrote: »
    Surprising that Boris was taken to hospital this evening. The Queen's speech was obviously timed to act as a fillip to the British people. Unless it was necessary, I would have thought that Boris would have held off until the morning so as not to dilute her message particularly as
    medical assistance was available to him

The speech was planned well before that, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

GooglePlus wrote: »
    They only tested those that had recently travelled from Italy.

So the tiger was skiing in Italy?

GooglePlus wrote: »
    The speech was planned well before that, no?

Speech recorded Friday apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Strazdas wrote: »

What about the poor zoo keeper having to do the swabs :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Boris made an appearance in British media from his phone during the week. The skin on his face was very blotchy red and he appeared to be very sweaty. I remember thinking he didn’t look great at the time. I hope he doesn’t die but I can’t help thinking it’s payback for his previous stance on the crisis.

Unacceptable comment, nobody deserves this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement