Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

fritzelly wrote: »
    I cannot imagine how life would be without the internet right now - murder rate would definitely be higher. A real test of modern life

9730894552_11bdd5f697_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

One thing Trump has been banging on about is that the cure may do more damage than the disease.

Which is rather ironic, considering the drug he keeps insisting is ideal for it can cause blindness and organ failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Which is rather ironic, considering the drug he keeps insisting is ideal for it can cause blindness and organ failure.

Especially when people try to improvise and use a source intended for fish tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 realitycheque

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I can’t help thinking that lockdowns are just kicking the can down the road. It will just take one infected person to start the whole thing again.

That's why herd immunity is the only way out of this, and maybe helped with a therapeutic (remdisivir/chlorquine) as a prophylaxis for the vulnerable if it passes safety and efficacy and of coarse they can take it...
    I get that these lockdowns are to prevent overwhelming the health service but it's unsustainable to expect the majority of the population not to live their lives normally. I know this sounds insensitive but it's a conversation that needs to be had.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭patnor1011

Patient 0 found.
    Czechoslovak movie from 1959. Seems that corona started there long time ago :D

IMG-20200404-WA0000.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

That's why herd immunity is the only way out of this, and maybe helped with a therapeutic (remdisivir/chlorquine) as a prophylaxis for the vulnerable if it passes safety and efficacy and of coarse they can take it...
    I get that these lockdowns are to prevent overwhelming the health service but it's unsustainable to expect the majority of the population not to live their lives normally. I know this sounds insensitive but it's a conversation that needs to be had.

It is not intended to last forever. No one has ever proposed it would. The conversation is being had, but there's no point loosening restrictions until we know we're past the peak. We don't know exactly when that might be, but we know we aren't there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

It is not intended to last forever. No one has ever proposed it would. The conversation is being had, but there's no point loosening restrictions until we know we're past the peak. We don't know exactly when that might be, but we know we aren't there yet.
    heres another post for the unpopular opinions thread....

the government realise there'll be a certain proportion of people who follow their guidelines to the letter, a proportion who will go further than that, and a sizable proportion who will flout the guidelines, either once in a while or often. thats all built in to the modelling of the spread of the virus.

Dr. Tony Holohan was on RTE saying there's no-one in hospital waiting rooms, beds are empty... maybe some of us are being too careful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Quote: Naggdefy
    I'm very fond of Pronsias, who was always open about his impediment. However the HSE could surely find better than this fella?
    What about Stephen Hawking? You probably thought he was an idiot too. These people are not tv personalities, they are doctors, managers etc.

Just seeing this now.

That's a bit of a jump. I criticised the HSE for fronting their press conference with a poor communicator. How does that equate to me thinking Stephen Hawking is an idiot?

Some people would do anything for a few thanks. Mervyn Skidmark.

Yeah but...
    People are starting to crack in southern Italy and they are not too much longer under lockdown than we are. Give it about a week two at most and southern Italy will burn.
    Add some areas in France where lockdown is not enforced due to "cultural differences". Some countries are still not enforcing any kind of lockdown and some countries pretty much cant do it anyway. We can be locked down till end of the days it will not help us much.
    I am afraid that even we cant enforce lockdown as we do not have manpower and infrastructure. What we experience now is people willing to obey for the time beeing but every week there will be more and more people on the edge and then one day they will just go out. Could even be pitchfork&torches style so we need to ask ourselves what to do to prevent this?

We can either enforce brutally strict lockdown for 2-3 weeks or we can just protect vulnerable people and stop this pretending.
    Let us call things what they are - this is not lockdown as people still roam streets, queue for shopping, visit friends...
    Speed vans on the street is not what I would expect in a lockdown scenario - pure comedy central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

patnor1011 wrote: »
    Yeah but...
    People are starting to crack in southern Italy and they are not too much longer under lockdown than we are. Give it about a week two at most and southern Italy will burn.
    Add some areas in France where lockdown is not enforced due to "cultural differences". Some countries are still not enforcing any kind of lockdown and some countries pretty much cant do it anyway. We can be locked down till end of the days it will not help us much.
    I am afraid that even we cant enforce lockdown as we do not have manpower and infrastructure. What we experience now is people willing to obey for the time beeing but every week there will be more and more people on the edge and then one day they will just go out. Could even be pitchfork&torches style so we need to ask ourselves what to do to prevent this?

We can either enforce brutally strict lockdown for 2-3 weeks or we can just protect vulnerable people and stop this pretending.
    Let us call things what they are - this is not lockdown as people still roam streets, queue for shopping, visit friends...
    Speed vans on the street is not what I would expect in a lockdown scenario - pure comedy central.

I know people going to house parties every day of the week and some of the people in the house parties are still going to work in supermarkets and factories etc.

Even if you get caught what are the gaurds going to do? Just tell you to go home. Even if fines for 100 euro are introduced people will still risk it.

THe majority of people adhere to the guidelines but you are always going to have the idiots.

Not much you can do really.

When people's bills start getting too much for them there could be a kick back all right. But hopefully people will plan for the future now if something like this happens again.

• Advertisement

I know people going to house parties every day of the week and some of the people in the house parties are still going to work in supermarkets and factories etc.

Even if you get caught what are the gaurds going to do? Just tell you to go home. Even if fines for 100 euro are introduced people will still risk it.

THe majority of people adhere to the guidelines but you are always going to have the idiots.

Not much you can do really.

When people's bills start getting too much for them there could be a kick back all right. But hopefully people will plan for the future now if something like this happens again.

I do not blame them. Thing is that while we applaud healthcare workers for what they do they at least know what they are going into and do have means to protect themselves. Being a doctor or a nurse means you choose this profession and you studied to be better prepared to deal with situations like this than the rest of us.

Other people which must work - they cant be called frontline stuff but rather cannon fodder. I am talking particulary about people in minimum wages jobs like cleaners and shop assistants. They go to work simply because they have to as they depend on their paycheck every week. I will hardly call them idiots if they meet after work having to deal with X people during the day anyway. Yes, some people will not go to shop and have someone else to do it for them yet majority of people go to shop 3-4 times a week simply because they can.

That is my whole point, that we either have lockdown or not. We are not able to enforce proper lockdown so maybe it will be better if we just stop pretending and maybe we can salvage what is left from our economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

5 more months of this???? at some point people are going to have to deal with reality here. It's herd immunity one way or the other folks, and were not gonna be inside for 18 months waiting for a vaccine... we simply cannot afford or comply with that!
    Seriously and I mean this in the nicest possible way but if you want to go outside and get it, knock yourself out.

Please don't presume to speak for anyone else whatsoever.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    It's not boredom per se - we're social animals, it's how we survived.
    We need social interactions for normal well being - it's how we got more intelligent by knowledge sharing and lots of other things
    I've noticed these past few days I'm starting to get a bit ratty and I would normally be a very laid back type of guy who doesn't let anything bother me.
    We need to not get the virus to have any metal well being. You can't have mental well being if you're dead because your brain is no longer functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,571 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

92226066_1935548409912466_2993117014425337856_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_sid=110474&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=HsZwlfUvgwkAX-KwIft&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&_nc_tp=14&oh=4355d8aad70f2c4bf62ac8388f17bca3&oe=5EAF7939

• Registered Users Posts: 24,391 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

keynes wrote: »
    The problem is, the advice they have all been getting has been terrible. The fact Varadkar wanted to go ahead with St Patricks Day parades while Italy was been ravaged by a pandemic tells you all you need to know about the advice he's getting.
    Varadkar has yet to show any leadership throughout this debacle. I'm sorry, but going in to answer some phone one day a week doesn't quite cut it.

The St Patrick's day parade that didn't happen?

Ireland closed the schools and creches on the 12th March.

You have no point here whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Covid-19 diagnosed in a frmale tiger in NY zoo. Which would mean the virus can now be transmitted from human to animals?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

voluntary wrote: »
    Covid-19 diagnosed in a frmale tiger in NY zoo. Which would mean the virus can now be transmitted from human to animals?

From bats to cats via humans.

That's mad, transferred from animals (bats) to humans & now back again to animals (cats)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

Why aren't names of the victims named?
    Are there any statistics recording seasonal flu amounts for this past winter season available in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

Rvsmmnps wrote: »
    Why aren't names of the victims named?
    Are there any statistics recording seasonal flu amounts for this past winter season available in Ireland?

What help would it be if the victims are named?

Not naming them let's the family have some degree of privacy.

tigger123 wrote: »
    What help would it be if the victims are named?

Not naming them let's the family have some degree of privacy.

No I don't buy it. 37 separate deaths and no names released?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Why do you want to know the names of deceased people?
    That's a little odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭circadian

What good does releasing the names do? Are you suggesting that these deaths aren't sreally happening because the names aren't being released?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ihdxwz4a3pem9j

circadian wrote: »
    What good does releasing the names do? Are you suggesting that these deaths aren't sreally happening because the names aren't being released?

Two words: patient confidentiality

If my dad catches this and it kills him I would have no issue for him to be named as a remembrance thing.
    Makes it all the more real for the public, like seeing a name of a person and not just numbers and statistics.
    Victim naming is a thing you know, and dying from a virus isn't seen as a shameful act such as suicide.
    And yes, I am suggesting something is odd about this corona thing.

If my dad catches this and it kills him I would have no issue for him to be named as a remembrance thing.
    Makes it all the more real for the public, like seeing a name of a person and not just numbers and statistics.
    Victim naming is a thing you know, and dying from a virus isn't seen as a shameful act such as suicide.

Fine then yeah go ahead and announce the death as you see fit. It's not up to the health services or government to do this. You realise how dehumanising a death from this virus is? Nearly always family isolated at home while someone dies along in hospital. No wake, no usual gathering for funerals.

I doubt releasing the name is at the forefront of many minds at that point.

voluntary wrote: »

Any sources for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Makes it all the more real for the public, like seeing a name of a person I and not just numbers and statistics.

Your opinion about suicide is terribly and horribly ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just because (a) you would be ok with it and (b) it's not 'shameful' doesn't mean everyone is ok with it nor does anyone think it would necessarily serve any purpose when there's a double digit number of deaths every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

• Advertisement

Fine then yeah go ahead and announce the death as you see fit. It's not up to the health services or government to do this. You realise how dehumanising a death from this virus is? Nearly always family isolated at home while someone dies along in hospital. No wake, no usual gathering for funerals.

I doubt releasing the name is at the forefront of many minds at that point.

I have no doubt it horrificy sad for all involved with the circumstances. I guess the families will post their death notices on one of them websites rip.ie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement