Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭eldamo

You might want to read the last post in this thread.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219

Some eye opening comments there and in the whole thread in general.

Thanks for sharing that, a bit grim, but probably very realistic.

I can see his point about selfishness creeping in already, there seem to be a bunch of people on here posting about being social animals and society can't survive like this.

Must really miss a pint.

My wife is pregnant and asthmatic, I reckon even if they begin to loosen things up by the end of may I will lobby my employer to let me work from home until after the baby has arrived and is thriving as our personal risk factor is just too high and to be honest, I have been getting better work done from home than I do in the office.

It is probably just my stage in life, but I could probably handle the world not being back to normal until march 2021, my son is due to begin primary school in september, that could be the biggest thing that would suffer if he wasn't able to do that.

But, we will survive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 fuilnaheireann

Any one think we'll be having pints on the may bank holiday weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Trump is a dangerous goblin. But there are a lot of good people and solid infrastructure in the US too.

Who thinks Ireland wiil have better numbers than the US when it all pans out?

Many people on here seem to be very confident of that.

A couple of weeks ago a post like this would attract dozens of thanks, now it attracts dozens of posts disagreeing.

The penny is starting to drop, for all but the most fervent bedroom-dwellers, that a lockdown beyond the next few weeks, isn't sustainable.

Lockdown minimum is until start of June. That's ironclad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No, May 2021 maybe. Not this May.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Yep. May 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean if you happen to have a bar in your own home then sure. Or if you pour some bottles into a pint glass but a pub seems doubtful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It needs to end in April.

Restrictions will end when we are able to keep an acceptable cap on death rates without them.

This will eventually be achieved either because we have a better treatment, more ICU beds, a vaccine, enough masks and tests to control propagation, a sufficient level of group immunity, or a combination of these factors.

But setting a hard deadline for it at this stage without a clear strategy to support that deadline is just wishful thinking (I understand this is hurting the economy very badly and for the long term, and that people are growing more frustrated about being stock at home, but as all the countries which have tried the full fledge hear immunity strategy have found out, there is a hard cap on publicly acceptable daily death figures and once it is reached it trumps any other argument and forces restrictions).

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Gynoid wrote: »

Also ties in to that NYC doctor video , where he says the symptoms are more akin to high altitude sickness - patients being literally starved of oxygen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭This is it

Definitely not, in my opinion. This "lockdown" will be extended to the end of the month at least and after that we'll still have social distancing measures in place. I'm thinking it'll be late June/July before pubs open, with absolutely nothing to back that up other than my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Phoebas wrote: »
    Why do you want to know the names of deceased people?
    That's a little odd.

Why do they name people who die in plane crashes, road accidents, murders?? Nothing odd about naming people who've died. There's an entire deaths section in most newspapers.

If the job of Taoiseach can be double jobbed with another role during a national emergency, then the role and wage needs to be looked at once this is over.

He is leading by example. Fair play to him.

eldamo wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing that, a bit grim, but probably very realistic.

I can see his point about selfishness creeping in already, there seem to be a bunch of people on here posting about being social animals and society can't survive like this.

Must really miss a pint.

My wife is pregnant and asthmatic, I reckon even if they begin to loosen things up by the end of may I will lobby my employer to let me work from home until after the baby has arrived and is thriving as our personal risk factor is just too high and to be honest, I have been getting better work done from home than I do in the office.

It is probably just my stage in life, but I could probably handle the world not being back to normal until march 2021, my son is due to begin primary school in september, that could be the biggest thing that would suffer if he wasn't able to do that.

But, we will survive.

Productivity in my office too has gone through the roof since we went into wfh mode about two weeks ago. Scrum burn down charts have never looked so good.

As for your wife - pregnant and being asthmatic is a huge risk. Stay at home with her until the baby is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Scottish chief medical officer resigned which makes sense since she undermined everything they were trying to do with regards the message to the public.

This is it wrote: »
    Definitely not, in my opinion. This "lockdown" will be extended to the end of the month at least and after that we'll still have social distancing measures in place. I'm thinking it'll be late June/July before pubs open, with absolutely nothing to back that up other than my opinion.

I have a mate living in Spain , and they’ve given up on ever having a 2020 tourist season. And that’s a huge chunk of their economy ( I think it’s 20%).

You can forget about the pubs opening this summer. It won’t happen. Too high risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Quoting pseudonym from here

There's one major problem with waiting for the death rate to go below a certain level. We don't know what the actual death rate of this virus is at the moment. It appears that all deaths are being recorded as COVID19 related deaths. Related is the important word here because it doesn't really tell us anything other than the virus was present.

I know for me and others I've spoken to, it's all a bit wishy washy and if the government expect people to willing stay under sever restrictions for any length of time they need to stop being so judicious with the facts. It's also very clear that the elderly in nursing homes were not protected in the way they should have been with inaction of the HSE/CMO a major factor.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Sky news a minute ago - the Queen’s speech to the U.K. was meant to go out on Easter Sunday , but was brought forward to yesterday.

Interesting ... does lend credence to it being linked to Boris’s worsening condition.

Yeah it is hard not to see a connection between the 2 events.

Also if he wasn’t in a severe condition and it was only a few tests, it seems strange for him to be send to the hospital late on a Sunday night to to be staying overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Hemoglobin.

Good god - that’s the oxygen transport mechanism in our blood!!!

I linked this because I weary of the people who keep refering to those of us who are very wary about a cavalier attitude towards this virus as "bedroom dwellers", or some variant thereof. Implying that people who approve of restrictions had no life heretofore. I have a very nice life which I like, and I still think we need restrictions till we know more. This virus is very much an unknown quantity and let me please use a phrase I have learned and long admired on boards for those people shouting for lifting of restrictions - window lickers!
    There now, that feels better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

With regards to the anti body test, is this a swan test also or do you have to give a blood test? The reason I ask is if it was just a swab like the test to see if you have covid, surely it’d make sense to take two swabs at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Eh no. Even june bank holiday is a push. Wouldn't expect pubs open until then.

The current restrictions until end of April, then back to the previous restrictions until end of May and see where we are then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

If the job of Taoiseach can be double jobbed with another role during a national emergency, then the role and wage needs to be looked at once this is over.

I've ducked in and out of this thread over the past month due to extreme levels of gossip/rumours/paranoia etc. But one thing has remained constant, the standard of your posts ever since you went to the pub to get some pints in before they shut, when the rest of us were maintaining our distance as requested.

Not sure if you're trolling, i'd assume many have blocked you at this stage but the fact that you say you're a health worker just boggles the mind. I've not seen one positive post from you. Maybe consider a career change once this is all over. I would not like anyone's loved ones to be relying on you for care, disgraceful posting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Working from home is great. They wouldn’t allow me long term though, not enough control.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If it attacks the blood oxygen transport, why arent more people being absolutely decimated with bad symptoms?

Theres a lot about this Virus we havent discovered yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

easypazz wrote: »
    Trump and BoJo dropped the ball and made the crisis worse in their country.

They had a heads up from what was happening in Italy and make decisions to suit themselves.

Bojo wanted to show the UK could go it alone (brexit Ego)

Trump went on personal hunches over medical opinion. (Personal Ego)

So what? Varadkar didn't stop flights coming in from italy when it was obvious he should have. Does he deserve to have the virus?

Nobody is perfect and they can make mistakes but the absolute lowest of the low is wishing this on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

I have a mate living in Spain , and they’ve given up on ever having a 2020 tourist season. And that’s a huge chunk of their economy ( I think it’s 20%).

You can forget about the pubs opening this summer. It won’t happen. Too high risk.

Spain is a different story altogether, we acted quicker with restrictions than they did. It was already well out of control with regards to ICU beds there before anything was imposed.

As bad as it sounds, at some point our numbers here will be deemed acceptable to restart the economy and thats what it comes down to.

Pubs here will be open at some point during the summer. Be it june or july probably.

The likes of Ibiza already have a huge PR campaign that October is the new summer, they know people wont travel over the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭threeball

Jaysus, this thread took a turn overnight. Panic setting in about having to stay in the house for a few weeks. Half of ye wouldnt leave the house if ye were asked on a normal week but the world is collapsing because you're asked to stay in. Maybe if ye went to bed rather than staying up half the night freaking out over boredom and not going to the pub you wouldnt be sh2tting the bed after 9 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

UsBus wrote: »
    I've ducked in and out of this thread over the past month due to extreme levels of gossip/rumours/paranoia etc. But one thing has remained constant, the standard of your posts ever since you went to the pub to get some pints in before they shut, when the rest of us were maintaining our distance as requested.

Not sure if you're trolling, i'd assume many have blocked you at this stage but the fact that you say you you're a health worker just boggles the mind. I've not seen one positive post from you. Maybe consider a career change once this is all over. I would not like anyone's loved ones to be relying on you for care, disgraceful posting

That poster isn’t actually a healthcare worker. They work in admin, possibly one level above entry level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

Spain is a different story altogether, we acted quicker with restrictions than they did. It was already well out of control with regards to ICU beds there before anything was imposed.

As bad as it sounds, at some point our numbers here will be deemed acceptable to restart the economy and thats what it comes down to.

Pubs here will be open at some point during the summer. Be it june or july probably

And the virus will surge when we do and we shut down again. And on we go.

Until we have a vaccination or a possible combination of meds that works on it this is us for the forseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Talisman

statesaver wrote: »
    Men usually die earlier than women so more elderly women
    I would say that there are more older women in care homes in Ireland so if many of the cases are from care homes then more women will be affected by the virus.
    Part of it may be because of so much testing being related to the nursing homes at present.?
    They have many more older wemon than men to test positive even though more older men may eventually die because of it.?
    You've each made the same assumption however the age profiles of the cases tell a different story. It's the case numbers of females in the 15-44 age range that outnumber the males.

508501.jpg

The latest image has been removed from the HSPC.ie website so this was the most recent version I could find. Source: Newstalk, March 31

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SeaBreezes wrote: »
    Can you not see the daily deaths rise already?
    They expect ICUs to be full by Easter Sunday.
    After that, it's a points system (age,underlying issues) that determines who gets the ventilator.

If ICUs have capacity by next Sunday, we are winning.. time to double down.
    They do have a surge plan according to Anne O'Connor which will kick in and apparently a lot more beds coming on stream. I think the ICU alert, while very possible, is to make sure we don't drop our guard.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement