Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Why do they name people who die in plane crashes, road accidents, murders?? Nothing odd about naming people who've died. There's an entire deaths section in most newspapers.

Since when do the name the people who die in crashes?

People’s deaths are private and for a very good reason, if you need that explained to you the ln it’s surprising.

until the family is notified Of a death and given the opportunity to notify extended family members who can often live abroad in different time zones then the names are kept private.

How do you fancy the news for the world telling someone their brother in Australia died? Or twitter telling you a parent has been killed in a road crash?

Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Posted this on another thread:
    There's a whole new dimension to this virus now with the human to animal transmission confirmed today.
    A Covid-19 infected zoo employee transmitted the virus to a tiger in the Bronx zoo, and other animals in the zoo now have it also.

This could lead to a whole new level of vectors where we can be infected by the virus.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,510 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

The only way they can ease restrictions is in a lot of stages

- Stage 1 (when cases stabilise at less than 150 a day) - Allow family members to see each other. No more than 5 people allowed. Restrict movements after 11pm (so no house parties etc) - 1 month

- Stage 2 (when cases stabilise at less than 100 a day) - Allow commercial outlets reopen, but must adhere to strict social distancing rules - 3 months

- Stage 3 (when cases stabilise at less than 50 a day) - Allow office workers resume to the office - 1 month

- Stage 4 (when cases stabilise at less than 10 a day) - Allow social gatherings (not pubs etc but restaurants ok) - 1 month

- Stage 5 (when 0 cases appear) - All pubs reopen

At any stage when the daily cases goes above the threshold you go back a stage. We have at least 6 months of enhanced restrictions. I'd be surprised to see pubs open before Halloween unless all this just disappears

Kivaro wrote: »
    There's a whole new dimension to this virus now with the human to animal transmission confirmed today.
    A Covid-19 infected zoo employee transmitted the virus to a tiger in the Bronx zoo, and other animals in the zoo now have it also.

This could lead to a whole new level of vectors where we can be infected by the virus.

I’m not as worried as you.

I’ve been socially distancing myself from tigers for a long time now and probably plan on continuing to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,173 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

A war will be the most likely punishment. For all of us unfortunately. If America come out of this badly wounded, they will have itchy trigger fingers. I really hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, because that will give the American economy the bounce it will need, nuclear war with China.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Bio lab, wet market it matters not a jot now. The CCP actively covered this up and it has collapsed the world economy, will kill untold numbers of people and heap misery on the planet for god knows how long.

They must be brought to task on this and we all have a part to play going forward citizens and governments.

Are you prepared to take the lead and boycott all chinese goods in your household?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I’ve been socially distancing myself from tigers for a long time now and probably plan on continuing to do so.

Joe Exotic, is that you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Germany declares the Netherlands an "international risk area" for Covid-19; borders could close
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/04/06/germany-declares-nl-international-risk-area-covid-19-borders-close

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Human to animal transmission was confirmed on February 28th in Hong Kong when a dog got it from it's owner - also, the dog recently died. A second dog was confirmed on March 4th.

antodeco wrote: »

- Stage 1 (when cases stabilise at less than 150 a day) - Allow family members to see each other. No more than 5 people allowed. Restrict movements after 11pm (so no house parties etc) - 1 month

- Stage 2 (when cases stabilise at less than 100 a day) - Allow commercial outlets reopen, but must adhere to strict social distancing rules - 3 months

- Stage 3 (when cases stabilise at less than 50 a day) - Allow office workers resume to the office - 1 month

- Stage 4 (when cases stabilise at less than 10 a day) - Allow social gatherings (not pubs etc but restaurants ok) - 1 month

At any stage when the daily cases goes above the threshold you go back a stage. We have at least 6 months of enhanced restrictions. I'd be surprised to see pubs open before Halloween unless all this just disappears

After a while the government will run out of money and these measures do more harm than good.

It is already being reported that people are afraid to go to doctors so people with cancer, heart conditions etc. are not getting screened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Scottish chief medical officer resigned which makes sense since she undermined everything they were trying to do with regards the message to the public.

Has Prince Charles resigned "since he undermined everything they were trying to do with regards the message to the public."

Has Prince Charles resigned "since he undermined everything they were trying to do with regards the message to the public."

Is he not still in isolation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

BanditLuke wrote: »
    Bio lab, wet market it matters not a jot now. The CCP actively covered this up and it has collapsed the world economy, will kill untold numbers of people and heap misery on the planet for god knows how long.

They must be brought to task on this and we all have a part to play going forward citizens and governments.
    The WHO, the UK, the US, and the Irish governments, to name a few, all downplayed the threat - at least the Chinese had the excuse that it was something new and unknown that they were dealing with and hoping to contain. The others had weeks of clearly seeing how much of a f*cking problem it was going to be before they did anything about it. You would sooner bring China to task?

Cops are loving this here, any excuse to beat people up ,.... just wait till June/July here ... gonna get nasty!!!
    Have you any evidence of this whatsoever?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

That hemoglobin study sounds scary. So is this more of a blood disorder or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Apt picture from BBC news ...

PRISON

508506.png

Apt picture from BBC news ...

PRISON

508506.png

How do you know it’s an apartment? If could be a house

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

So your saying theres going to be these strict measures for the next few months ?
    No chance, the CMO and gov ministers have been quite open in saying this isn't sustainable long term. It's not about stopping it, it's about pushing the peak out to a point where future numbers become manageable.

I dont see non essential businesses open before June for what it's worth, but at that point your about 3 months into restrictions. We'll have to see how the likes of Italy etc restart things

If you flatten the peak it becomes a plateau. The only way to avoid another peak developing is to maintain the controls that sustain a plateau within a level of our medical resources capacity.

Introducing restrictions early helps ensure that plateau is reached before medical resource capacity is overwhelmed.

Press releases have indicated the number of people infected by a person has decreased from four point something to two point something and the number of contacts needing tracing from around twenty to less than five. We will only be able to see the impact of the current level of restriction in the next week to two weeks.

Keeping infection numbers under control requires keeping the person to person infection rate at one.

Relaxing restrictions too much too soon will result in a new higher peak, and the necessity to reintroduce restrictions, possibly greater restrictions to bring the R0 to less than 1, to bring numbers back in control and possibly reduce the plateau back to where it was.

I suspect we will need to be a far more cautious and slower to remove restrictions than to put them in place. Given the time lag before the effect would be seen there would need to be a high degree of certainty before relaxing restrictions.

Unless the current measures bring the R0 significantly below 1, I don't think there is any leeway to relax restrictions. If there is, I would expect cycles of very slight relaxation followed by reintroduction to continue for some time to maintain things at a holding level until a combination of effective treatment, population immunity, serological testing and vaccination allows a wider lifting of restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

It's scary and it has to be studied more.

It has to be looked at if at all possible:

Did one tiger in an enclosure become infected from a human and pass it around to the rest of the Tigers in the enclosure. Or was it the Tigers all became infected from the same human.

It needs to be found if animals can pass it back onto humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

otnomart wrote: »
    Germany declares the Netherlands an "international risk area" for Covid-19; borders could close
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/04/06/germany-declares-nl-international-risk-area-covid-19-borders-close

Borders should have been closed a long time ago TBH (although I presume the flow of people has been very limited anyway).

It didn't make sense in the first place to go for a lockdown approach and to have an open border with a country going for a light approach / heard immunity strategy (regardless of the merits of each strategy, once you choose the lockdown you can't have a free flow of people from non-lockdown areas as it is essentially damaging the efficiency of your internal efforts).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I like your social distancing stance.:)
    However you might have to include the family dog and cat soon too, as those feckers head off into the local estates and you just don't know what they will bring back with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

Vicxas wrote: »
    If it attacks the blood oxygen transport, why arent more people being absolutely decimated with bad symptoms?

Theres a lot about this Virus we havent discovered yet.

Italy saw this. And now NYC are seeing it.

There was an Italian doctor who said that 80% of patients who end up on ventilators do not survive. Too far gone. And then there’s the NYC doctor who’s saying that ventilated patients are showing symptoms of “high altitude sickness” - literally being starved of oxygen.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,893 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i do wonder if the current restrictions are building a greater public knowledge of the need for Social Distancing, so that we can try to return to some non-lockdown normality with Social Distancing in a better place now than it was prior to the Lockdown.

Not sure what that looks like, how many businesses could return to something approaching normal - as public transport would still be a problem for transmission - but you have to assume the Govt. want to get the economy moving as quickly as (safely) possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

haha!!
    not sure if you are joking , apt as in suitable ... not apartment ...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,529 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

antodeco wrote: »

Schools are the big problem for any route plan 'back to normality'. How do you maintain any level of hand hygiene or social distancing in that environment, especially primary schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

There was an Italian doctor who said that 80% of patients who end up on ventilators do not survive. Too far gone. And then there’s the NYC doctor who’s saying that ventilated patients are showing symptoms of “high altitude sickness” - literally being starved of oxygen.

what are you two ****ing on about

it affects the lungs, you breath through your lungs, thus lack of oxygen

I like your social distancing stance.:)
    However you might have to include the family dog and cat soon too, as those feckers head off into the local estates and you just don't know what they will bring back with them.

Don’t have a dog or cat

I’ve a goldfish, but hes grounded

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Snipp

what are you two ****ing on about

it affects the lungs, you breath through your lungs, thus lack of oxygen

I just logged in to post exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭ax530

I have issue with those videos of hospital staff dancing around. Like lot of people I am getting fed up of the restrictions not being able to go for a drive to somewhere for a beach walk and lots of people I know suffering with loss of income. But enduring it with the hope that our hospital system can be able to cope and help those who are sick.
    PPE seems to be a big issue sure that frightening for those working in hospitals and health care however dancing around wearing scarce resources making videos is not taking things seriously enough I believe doesnt give me full reassurance that they are in need of us all taking such restrictive measures. Sure phones would be one of the top things to remove from hospitals to prevent spread of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

66% die and 34% survive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

Why would a house have bars over the windows, strange picture.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement