Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

ax530 wrote: »
    I have issue with those videos of hospital staff dancing around. Like lot of people I am getting fed up of the restrictions not being able to go for a drive to somewhere for a beach walk and lots of people I know suffering with loss of income. But enduring it with the hope that our hospital system can be able to cope and help those who are sick.
    PPE seems to be a big issue sure that frightening for those working in hospitals and health care however dancing around wearing scarce resources making videos is not taking things seriously enough I believe doesnt give me full reassurance that they are in need of us all taking such restrictive measures. Sure phones would be one of the top things to remove from hospitals to prevent spread of infection.

The hospitals are incredibly quiet at the moment, I'd say most of them are bored out of their minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Bob24 wrote: »
    Still the local path on your computer (C:\...). You need to link a URL (http://...).

But I think this is the one, right?

Perfect thanks. I deleted my own link and referred to your post. You can't fix stupid. Not even with a ventilator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭threeball

cloudatlas wrote: »
    Just listening to a podcast there about the illegal felling of Rosewood trees in Senegal. Apparently the Chinese are all over West Africa planting and felling trees that have been there originally. China has a strong foothold in Africa and a lot of countries where they are building infrastructure.

They're in Afghanistan too. They buy their way in then strip the place. Modern day colonialism

It may be this

https://mobile.twitter.com/MedicinePrimal/status/1246603103345967105?s=19

It seems it might not be a direct impact on lung functioning or a result of secondary pneumonia but the virus affecting the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood by attacking the oxygen carrying haemoglobin in the blood.

Might explain why some blood types are more susceptible

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Spain's case numbers reduced again today.
    New cases 4273 , deaths 637.

Awful numbers but dropped again for the fourth day in a row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

italy and spain over the hump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Never seen anyone applauding when in prison.

The population here are taking it well - for now.
    They believe the Govt when they extend the deadline for another 3 weeks .... but after this keeps getting extended indefinitely I expect the patience to wear thin.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

marno21 wrote: »

The reasons for the lockdown aren't to eradicate the virus. They are to buy us time to enable us to stock up on necessities for dealing with those who are especially sick, to enable the population to become aware of the virus and what's needed to stop it, to prepare the health system for a large increase in admissions from the virus, and to further our understanding of the virus and how it can be treated. Also of course the vaccine, but that's so far out in the future we need to plan without it.

That’s the key point - the “flatten the curve” stuff is just for public consumption and to prevent panic - the lockdown is more aimed at buying us extra time. ( to stock up on a PPEs , to build and distribute ventilators , to build temporary hospitals etc etc. ).

otnomart wrote: »
    Germany declares the Netherlands an "international risk area" for Covid-19; borders could close
    https://nltimes.nl/2020/04/06/germany-declares-nl-international-risk-area-covid-19-borders-close

No.

Controls could be introduced at borders, same as they have already done on the borders with France and Austria.

As it says in the article.

That’s the key point - the “flatten the curve” stuff is just for public consumption and to prevent panic - the lockdown is more aimed at buying us extra time. ( to stock up on a PPEs , to build and distribute ventilators , to build temporary hospitals etc etc. ).

And find medicines that work, and they will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

From rte:
    Austria plans to reopen smaller shops from next week in its first step to loosen a lockdown that has slowed the spread of the coronavirus, as long as the public continue to observe the lockdown broadly, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said.

Mr Kurz told a news conference that since Austria had acted earlier than most countries, that gave it the ability to reopen shops sooner as well.

If all goes well, it will reopen non-essential shops of less than 400 square metres and DIY shops on 14 April, followed by all shops and malls on 1 May, he said.

Just to add onto this, mass gatherings are still banned until June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

froog wrote: »
    italy and spain over the hump.

I suspect we may be too, considering we closed bars the day after Spain, we live on an Island, we have lower population density and our public transport in Dublin is not of the scale of other cities etc. etc.

The next few days will tell a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Amazing Sweden doesnt get the same grief as UK or USA.
    Whats the difference?

The hatred of Boris and Trump!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I was talking to a publican the other day. They are more or less been told could be at least September before any chance of re-opening.

A politician told you? Ah well then!

Edit: sorry, thought you said politican, but now see you said publican!! Not sure they know any more though right now!

threeball wrote: »
    They're in Afghanistan too. They buy their way in then strip the place. Modern day colonialism

Some interesting reading on how China takes over the electricity supply and ports of a country.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/25/asia/philippines-china-power-grid-intl-hnk/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/25/world/asia/china-sri-lanka-port.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People are such morons , one example went for a walk with my youngest daughter yesterday and there's a bridge across the lake in our park that's about 3 feet wide and about 20 feet long, There's a family da,ma and 3 kids stopped the middle of the bridge feeding the ducks leaving everyone single person to have to shimmy pass them basically touching them ,

There was 400 yards either side of the bridge to feed the ducks like WTF are they thinking ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Thats literally a restatement of what flatten the curve means. To keep the curve below the capacity of the hospitals, which can of course increase over time.

A politician told you? Ah well then!

Publican told him, and that's probably correct, unless there's a big drop off be August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Urethral Buttercup

Who is this annoying loser on the radio?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Christy42

That allows us to survive a higher curve. Flattening the curve is a real thing. It extends the outbreak but limits the number of people requiring hospital treatment at any one time. Temporary hospitals etc. allow hospitals to cope with a curve that is a higher than what they could cope with currently.

• Advertisement

The hatred of Boris and Trump!

Whats odd is the fetish for Boris and Trump amongst Irish people. Its an online phenomenon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

People are such morons , one example went for a walk with my youngest daughter yesterday and there's a bridge across the lake in our park that's about 3 feet wide and about 20 feet long, There's a family da,ma and 3 kids stopped the middle of the bridge feeding the ducks leaving everyone single person to have to shimmy pass them basically touching them ,

There was 400 yards either side of the bridge to feed the ducks like WTF are they thinking ,

Did you open your own beak and say anything or just scurry off to the interweaving to have a moan?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The population here are taking it well - for now.
    They believe the Govt when they extend the deadline for another 3 weeks .... but after this keeps getting extended indefinitely I expect the patience to wear thin.

Full restrictions won't be extended indefinitely in any country,people are not naive people know there will be restrictions of some form for the foreseeable future .
    Reality is life will continue there will be changes but it will continue , history will tell you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I would have shouted abuse at the fat c*nt to move ....

Who is this annoying loser on the radio?

Might help if you mention the station

• Registered Users Posts: 10,745 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That is flattening the curve. I don't see where you find any distinction between the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Just back from Aldi. The two b*tches ahead of me walked straight in. No use of hand sanitizer, no gloves or no masks.

threeball wrote: »

You know who else is in Afghanistan, but killing people?

Western companies have been stripping developing countries of resources for decades, in some cases wars or government overthrows have been fought to ensure it continued ( see Iran and Britain).

FVP3 wrote: »
    Thats literally a restatement of what flatten the curve means. To keep the curve below the capacity of the hospitals, which can of course increase over time.

but you can use the time to INCREASE capacity too.
    E.g. NHS Nightingale

The only places where we’ve seen a curve being flattened have been Singapore , Taiwan and South Korea - and all of them have been extremely draconian very early on. ( invasive contact tracing via release of mobile phone GPS records , banning of Chinese flights etc etc)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

holyhead wrote: »
    Just back from Aldi. The two b*tches ahead of me walked straight in. No use of hand sanitizer, no gloves or no masks.

Did you open your own beak and say anything or just scurry off to the interweaving to have a moan?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement