Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

paddy19 wrote: »
    Why is there no discussion that Covid patients in UK ICU's break almost 3 to 1 male v female? This is in contrast to pneumonia where the past data shows a roughly 50/50 split by sex. (Page 4 table 1.).

No agenda here, just wondering why this is not been discussed.

https://www.icnarc.org/About/Latest-News/2020/04/04/Report-On-2249-Patients-Critically-Ill-With-Covid-19

There's posts a few pages back reporting on oxygen and red blood cells.

I wonder would anemia have some part to play?

The recent obsession with masks is entirely a social-media construct - I'd say 95% of people aren't wearing them, probably higher.

The vast majority are wearing them where I am. And the US Surgeon General posting videos of how to make homemade masks isn't a social-media construct..

Masks are to stop you spreading it to other people directly, and also indirectly through surfaces.

Does someone who has recovered need to wear a mask? Do you automatically know each individuals background? Before we proclaim someone not wearing a mask or see using sanitiser is a B***h, we have to consider that everyone has their own individual story. By all means respectfully challenge behaviours that go against the social distancing guidance, but social distancing does not mean we lose our respect for other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭pawdee

I just saw a big, thick, obese, ignorant, PIG in his 70s put something in the letterbox of the social welfare office. Then he stood there for a few seconds looking at all the Covid-19 notices before clearing out both nostrils onto the pavement. While doing the second nostril he got snot on his fingers and just shook it off onto the wall and door. How I wanted to beat him to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭JRant

The recent obsession with masks is entirely a social-media construct - I'd say 95% of people aren't wearing them, probably higher.

Countries ahead of us on this have been issuing people with free masks for weeks now. Sure they aren't 100% in preventing people from getting it but they provide a massive benefit in stopping people who may not even have it from spreading it.

It's not a social construct, it's been government policy to not have us wear them because they couldn't get enough for health workers, nevermind the general population.

I stocked up on N99 masks in February for my father as he is undergoing cancer treatment and wouldn't last a week if he caught this. He won't even answer the door now without glooves and a mask on as he is terrified of getting this. Yet if he followed official policy he would have neither. They may not give him full physical protection but they certainly help reduce his stress levels.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement

Does someone who has recovered need to wear a mask? Do you automatically know each individuals background? Before we proclaim someone not wearing a mask or see using sanitiser is a B***h, we have to consider that everyone has their own individual story. By all means respectfully challenge behaviours that go against the social distancing guidance, but social distancing does not mean we lose our respect for other people.

In the context of what I replied to, my post made sense. It didn't sound like the poster has had the virus, or was saying that someone who has had it and has recovered doesn't need a mask if they maintain social distancing.

Maybe you can check again and let me know if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Perhaps people who have recovered, and are hopefully no longer infectious and are immune, should be allowed go about their business. The rest of us could ring a bell as we move around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

holyhead wrote: »
    It is for everybody's benefit to use hand sanitiser at a time like this. This thing can transmit hence the social distance.

Our supermarket is out of sanitizer every time I go. I use my own before I go in, as it is more responsible than relying on the one in store.

But if you saw me walk in, you'd clearly jump to your own conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

JRant wrote: »
    It's not a social construct, it's been government policy to not have us wear them because they couldn't get enough for health workers, nevermind the general population.

Which is pretty much the reason why everybody I know isn't even bothering with them. Would be nice to have, but we are not in the at risk categories so why remove stock from other people if they need them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

holyhead wrote: »
    How often I go is my own business! It was the lack of use of hand sanitiser is the point here!
    They may have used hand sanitizer as they left their car, you cannot know that. And there is no guidance requiring use of masks or gloves

I wash my hands carefully before I nip over to the shop. I don't need to use the sanitiser on arrival as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

General public could make them loads of videos on youtube on home made masks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

The amount of indignant cabin-fever "morons" (to use their own favourite word) on the cusp of vigilante action on these threads is growing daily I see

This thread is a dose in itself.

There are a few reasonable, inoffensive, knowledgeable people still posting here though which is why I still check in daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

People are such morons , one example went for a walk with my youngest daughter yesterday and there's a bridge across the lake in our park that's about 3 feet wide and about 20 feet long, There's a family da,ma and 3 kids stopped the middle of the bridge feeding the ducks leaving everyone single person to have to shimmy pass them basically touching them ,

There was 400 yards either side of the bridge to feed the ducks like WTF are they thinking ,

I have to say, in my experience too, when going out for a walk, families with kids appear to consistently block the footpaths and expect everyone else to move out onto the road or else face squashing past them. A simple moving into a little bit of a line to let others pass by more easily would not go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭threeball

FVP3 wrote: »
    You know who else is in Afghanistan, but killing people?

Western companies have been stripping developing countries of resources for decades, in some cases wars or government overthrows have been fought to ensure it continued ( see Iran and Britain).

Neither should be there. Both modern colonialists but using different smokescreens and both feed their populace the news they want them to hear with extreme nationalism as the rallying cry. Both countries have huge questions to answer and the world needs to start asking them of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

This thread is a dose in itself.

There are a few reasonable, inoffensive, knowledgeable people still posting here though which is why I still check in daily.

Agreed. Have to wonder how many of these keyboard warriors who are not in at risk categories could solve their cabin fever by getting out and volunteering for Community Call or Alone and doing something useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I hope Austria aren't jumping the gun just so they can shout "FIRST!"..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Ficheall wrote: »

Please tell me you're joking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Give it time. It may yet come to a stage where the wearing of masks and possibly also gloves is made compulsory.

I just checked and it's been 79 days since I've worked because of this thing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Ficheall wrote: »
    No, they are relaxing lockdown because they've had less than 5% growth for 5 days in a row now which had been trending down before that, and their death toll has also been trending down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I know some like to back slap and say what a great job we are doing.

The reality is, we are now in the top 10 for deaths per million of population. I put this down to the inaction with screening of incoming passengers from flights/ferries/border crossings.
    Things like Simon Harris saying it was fine for thousands of Italian rugby fans to be out and about (and unscreened/quarantined) in Dublin.
    No advice on trying to stop people or horses going to Cheltenham.
    No advice on nursing homes - it was a group over them that said they should not allow visitors.
    The result of all this: Ireland is doing badly now.

https://twitter.com/donnellythedon/status/1247100435896426497

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Some interesting charts here https://www.ft.com/coronavirus-latest

EU32lEsXYAAvvs5.jpg

The UK and the USA deaths are still on a very worrying upward trend, France Spain and Italy appear to have plateaued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

• Registered Users Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I see people wearing masks in their own car on their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I have to say, in my experience too, when going out for a walk, families with kids appear to consistently block the footpaths and expect everyone else to move out onto the road or else face squashing past them. A simple moving into a little bit of a line to let others pass by more easily would not go amiss.

I have young kids and one thing I wont let them take on walks right now is them F*king scooters , Parents with 3 kids on scooter taking up the whole bleeden path, like seriously cope the F*ck on ,

I sound like a moan bag but all you want is people who actually try and care about others , 95% of people are great and do there upmost to give each other room

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

A couple of weeks ago a post like this would attract dozens of thanks, now it attracts dozens of posts disagreeing.

The penny is starting to drop, for all but the most fervent bedroom-dwellers, that a lockdown beyond the next few weeks, isn't sustainable.
    Wow, as I've repeatedly said, do whatever you want. But you can't make any of us go out then and be part of your f'ing death experiment.

I have no control over your willingness to throw yourself in front of this train but likewise you have no say in my actions, thankfully. But by all means off out you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

paddy19 wrote: »
    Why is there no discussion that Covid patients in UK ICU's break almost 3 to 1 male v female? This is in contrast to pneumonia where the past data shows a roughly 50/50 split by sex. (Page 4 table 1.).

No agenda here, just wondering why this is not been discussed.

https://www.icnarc.org/About/Latest-News/2020/04/04/Report-On-2249-Patients-Critically-Ill-With-Covid-19

It's a known thing. Smoking is one likely factor, differently weighted social pressure regarding handwashing etc is another.

The biggie though is that women have more aggressive immune systems generally, so they're less prone to acquired infections like flus, at the cost of being more prone to autoimmune disorders like Lupus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Please tell me you're joking
    By simplifying their possible desire to score a few political and economic points to shouting "First"? Slightly. Do I think they may be jumping the gun by starting to relax restrictions when they had 270 new cases yesterday? Hopefully not, but that is why I said "I hope".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

pawdee wrote: »
    I just saw a big, thick, obese, ignorant, PIG in his 70s put something in the letterbox of the social welfare office. Then he stood there for a few seconds looking at all the Covid-19 notices before clearing out both nostrils onto the pavement. While doing the second nostril he got snot on his fingers and just shook it off onto the wall and door. How I wanted to beat him to death.

Why didn't you?

Any judge and jury would be sympathetic in the circumstances. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,685 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I see people wearing masks in their own car on their own.

I think for some it's a status symbol of wealth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement