Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Blubelle18

I see people wearing masks in their own car on their own.

More than likely waiting until they get home so they can remove it safely and wash their hands. I found myself in this situation after going to the supermarket last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭threeball

RobertKK wrote: »
    I know some like to back slap and say what a great job we are doing.

The reality is, we are now in the top 10 for deaths per million of population. I put this down to the inaction with screening of incoming passengers from flights/ferries/border crossings.
    Things like Simon Harris saying it was fine for thousands of Italian rugby fans to be out and about (and unscreened/quarantined) in Dublin.
    No advice on trying to stop people or horses going to Cheltenham.
    No advice on nursing homes - it was a group over them that said they should not allow visitors.
    The result of all this: Ireland is doing badly now.

https://twitter.com/donnellythedon/status/1247100435896426497

This was done to death last night. Numbers now mean nothing as everyone is at different stages. Two weeks ago the UK was in a great position. Not so much now. When the final tallies come in we won't be anywhere near top 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

s1ippy wrote: »
    Wow, as I've repeatedly said, do whatever you want. But you can't make any of us go out then and be part of your f'ing death experiment.

I have no control over your willingness to throw yourself in front of this train but likewise you have no say in my actions, thankfully. But by all means off out you go.

I really do think anyone who wants to voluntarily sign up for an experiment to get infected should be allowed provided they sign waivers that they won't sue anyone, possibly not use a ventilator if it comes to that and stay in isolation until they are immune. It would provide us all with much needed research data.

threeball wrote: »
    This was done to death last night. Numbers now mean nothing as everyone is at different stages. Two weeks ago the UK was in a great position. Not so much now. When the final tallies come in we won't be anywhere near top 10.

The numbers from Spain and Italy while still high are promising. Contact tracing is still difficult for them. At a certain stage they might get numbers of new cases so low that contact tracing becomes effective again and they might even consider using South Korean methods of sharing mobile phone data.

It might be an idea for people to keep a diary of their contacts and what they did every day so that if they did eventually catch CV, they'd know exactly where they were and who they met.

When people test positive for covid 19 it can be as much as 10 days to 2 weeks after they got it. That's a lot of contacts in the meantime and easy to forget some.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 Pencil Neck

holyhead wrote: »
    How often I go is my own business! It was the lack of use of hand sanitiser is the point here!

Well why did you also mention gloves and masks if hand sanitizer was the point ?

• Advertisement

Blubelle18 wrote: »
    More than likely waiting until they get home so they can remove it safely and wash their hands. I found myself in this situation after going to the supermarket last week.

I see this type of comment a lot and don't really understand it. I take my mask off by pinching the string behind the ear. My hands don't go near my face..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The Saudis are getting serious with this coronavirus stuff :eek:

508517.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The reality is, we are now in the top 10 for deaths per million of population. I put this down to the inaction with screening of incoming passengers from flights/ferries/border crossings.
    Things like Simon Harris saying it was fine for thousands of Italian rugby fans to be out and about (and unscreened/quarantined) in Dublin.
    No advice on nursing homes - it was a group over them that said they should not allow visitors.

We are not doing badly.

It all depends on where you are on the curve etc.

Our daily rate of increase keeps dropping.

Blubelle18 wrote: »

That or else they put them on before leaving the house. I tried putting on a mask one day in the car and it was a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Yeah, what's that about :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

marno21 wrote: »
    No, they are relaxing lockdown because they've had less than 5% growth for 5 days in a row now which had been trending down before that, and their death toll has also been trending down.
    I'll agree on cases, sure. The death toll for the last week has been 22,20,18,12,10,18,18,16 - calling that a downward trend is a little generous.

Spain's case and death rates have been decreasing (which is great), but I'd prefer if they didn't rush into lifting restrictions immediately either.

I hope Austria is making the right call, is all I'm saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

If this thing is attacking the haemoglobin I wonder would blood transfusions be part of an effective treatment. I have had the virus and recovered and happen to be O negative. Would my blood with antibodies help someone? It seems obvious, maybe that is what they mean by plasma treatments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

easypazz wrote: »
    We are not doing badly.

It all depends on where you are on the curve etc.

Our daily rate of increase keeps dropping.

They had to send swabs to Germany. Of course, numbers would look good now.

Probably forgot to take it off, or just handy to put in on and leave it on when leaving the house.

In terms of spreading it, it's not the worst idea anyways. We don't sweat coronavirus. It comes from our mouths and when you're driving, your hands are in front of your mouth, so if you have it, you're infecting them more than if you were walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Deaths in Belgium and Netherlands have both now surpassed total deaths in Germany. Why are these two much smaller countries expereincing so many more deaths? Belgium's population is about 8 times smaller than Germany's, NL's is about 4.5x times smaller/ Belgium is the third worst affected country in the world in terms of deaths per capita after Spain and Italy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Presumably to reduce the amount of times their hands have to touch their faces? Isn't that one of the main arguments against everyone wearing masks - the danger of misuse negates the effectiveness of wearing it.

If you are putting it on and taking it off, more often than necessary, you are making too much face contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

People think it's in the air ...

wakka12 wrote: »
    Deaths in Belgium and Netherlands have both now surpassed total deaths in Germany. Why are these two much smaller countries expereincing so many more deaths? Belgium's population is about 8 times smaller than Germany's, NL's is about 4.5x times smaller/ Belgium is the third worst affected country in the world in terms of deaths per capita after Spain and Italy

Germany are not including underlying health conditions in their official death toll, which is rather dishonest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I have young kids and one thing I wont let them take on walks right now is them F*king scooters , Parents with 3 kids on scooter taking up the whole bleeden path, like seriously cope the F*ck on ,

I sound like a moan bag but all you want is people who actually try and care about others , 95% of people are great and do there upmost to give each other room
    Seriously annoying. And if you dare to not step into the road to accommodate them, the looks you get...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,670 ✭✭✭storker

Deaths in Belgium and Netherlands have both now surpassed total deaths in Germany. Why are these two much smaller countries expereincing so many more deaths? Belgium's population is about 8 times smaller than Germany's, NL's is about 4.5x times smaller

I think the Netherlands, like the UK, started out with a strategy of encouraging herd immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

The Saudis are getting serious with this coronavirus stuff :eek:

508517.png

How is this place real

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

obviously political policy comes into it.. but at a quick glance it could simply be population density

belgium has a 60% denser population than germany
    Netherlands has a population density 125% more than germany

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

It can make sense in some circumstances. Putting the mask on and off constantly would add risk as everytime you need to wash your hands and do things properly, plus it isn’t a good idea to handle/reuse the mask just after taking it off as the outside is potentially covered with pathogen.

So if I was driving to different locations all requiring the mask, I wouldn’t take it off while driving between those locations (typical exemple is someone doing deliveries).

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

It's been pointed out on numerous occasions that crude population comparisons between countries is meaningless but people will keep doing it.

Just one metric being ignored is population density, which has a direct effect on effective R0 rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Both countries initially went for light containment and the heard immunity strategy.

Sweden still is following that path. I expect they will also see a spike in deaths and change course, but let’s see.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭threeball

Boris is on oxygen according to the latest reports

• Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Per million is more to do with how many cases a country can cope with, assuming their health systems scale in the same proportion.

The link in Rob A Bank's post below
    https://www.ft.com/__origami/service/image/v2/images/raw/http%3A%2F%2Fcom.ft.imagepublish.upp-prod-eu.s3.amazonaws.com%2F141ba740-777b-11ea-af44-daa3def9ae03?fit=scale-down&quality=highest&source=next&width=1260
    is more representative of how well each country is containing the virus.

On that basis we are doing well. As a small country we have a proportionately smaller medical capacity so there is no room for complacency but containment and capacity should not be conflated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

They had to send swabs to Germany. Of course, numbers would look good now.

Number of deaths, number of ICU cases.

Results from Germany are feeding back since Friday AFAIK.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Because you don’t remove it until you can wash your hands first and remove it safely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Wildlife Actor

How is this place real
    Very real. In Ireland wives could refuse sex even before coronavirus...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement