Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

However there is something afoot:

The PM's spokesman declined to say whether he had pneumonia, although they dismissed claims emanating from Russia that he is on a ventilator as 'disinformation'.

Asked if symptoms are 'mild' - the word previously used to describe them - the spokesman instead said they were 'persistent' and included a 'a temperature and a cough'.

According to the latest report on RTE Radio News at One Johnson is in good spirits and spent a comfortable night in hospital. No mention at all of him being on oxygen although it is expected that he will be staying there for all of today for further tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/genetics-shed-light-on-origins-of-irish-strains-of-covid-19-1.4221383

so looks like most of our cases came from Cheltenham, celtic match in copenhagen + some from boston

houlihan said last week that no cases had been traced to Cheltenham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

See the army is having a larger role. This is good as they have far more experience in coordinating, planning and command and control in time critical emergencies. I know the response to date has been in support of the civilian authorities. They should be coordinating the civilian authorities though. We have extremely limited resources and should be used to greatest effect. No place for politics or spin when dealing with this emergency.

I don't know what exactly operation fortitude entails but it's a positive.

https://twitter.com/PaulQuinnNews/status/1247112761810747392?s=20

unfortunate name?

508525.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

owlbethere wrote: »
    I don't believe this. A sizable portion of the population are following the guidelines.

We do already have restrictions and I can't see what they can do to tighten them restrictions bar an extension to the current guidelines and possibly fines for anyone breaking the guidelines.

Wuhan was able to trace early cases of this to a wet market in Wuhan.

Do we have similar tracing here? As do we have much community transmission still occurring? Where are them transmissions occurring? Aside from giving us east, south, west of the country - are the authorities able to trace and determine if where exactly transmissions are occurring?

Rumours of further restrictions are just a pack of bullsh1t and serves no good and will lead to panic.

I dunno I don’t want to be negative but a sizeable portion are not following them so I guess it’s possible that they’ll ban walks. I’d find that very depressing, I rarely leave the house but mentally it’s good to know I have the option!

Not sure why people would be surprised at a tightening of restrictions. Ireland's response is pathetic along with the rest of Europe's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/genetics-shed-light-on-origins-of-irish-strains-of-covid-19-1.4221383

so looks like most of our cases came from Cheltenham, celtic match in copenhagen + some from boston

Having read that link your post is totally irresponsible and nothing in the article is remotely related to what you posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Or, Ireland infected Birmingham, Copenhagen and Boston.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

bekker wrote: »
    But big differences in seriousness between occasional face mask relief, CPAP, and intube ventilator support.

yesterday it was a precaution only and a few tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

fritzelly wrote: »
    So on the news they're saying the 2000 German results are expected today
    Confused

Does this mean we will be getting results from ~3500 test/day starting from today?

2000 from German Labs
    ~1500 from Irish Labs

If so we can expect to see the 'jump' to ~700 daily cases

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Not sure why people would be surprised at a tightening of restrictions. Ireland's response is pathetic along with the rest of Europe's.

what extra restrictions are needed do you think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    I dunno I don’t want to be negative but a sizeable portion are not following them so I guess it’s possible that they’ll ban walks. I’d find that very depressing, I rarely leave the house but mentally it’s good to know I have the option!

They wont ban walking. The measures are working. Even the initial measures were doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Does this mean we will be getting results from ~3500 test/day starting from today?

2000 from German Labs
    ~1500 from Irish Labs

Given that the germans are better at everything will this increase our positive rate? and is this a good thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

it actually doesn't say that at all about cheltenham to be fair.

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    They wont ban walking. The measures are working. Even the initial measures were doing a good job.

What are you basing that on?

While I do think the measure are working. I haven't seen any hard data yet to back that up. The daily reports are meaningless with the level of testing we are doing

easypazz wrote: »
    what extra restrictions are needed do you think?

Automatic quarantine in facilities for everyone arriving in the country. When they're full, no more people come in.
    Masks by law.
    Only allowed out for pharmacy or groceries etc.
    Full tracing of contacts, though it seems a bit late for that.

Things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

2000 from German Labs
    ~1500 from Irish Labs

Its confusing.Paul Reid said yesterday that results from Germany started arriving back from Friday.Also mentioned their capacity was 2000 tests per day.
    However 2000 tests results from Germany would surely have resulted in a bigger spike so I can only guess that the full 2000 per day capacity was not reached for the first few days.

Based on past test percentages 2000 tests could result in 250/300 new cases per day.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Anyone hear whether the Ministerial Order giving effect to the extra powers for the Gardaí been signed yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Well not really a plus since it means there will still be bull**** lockdowns in ****ING JULY!!!!

I'd happily put up with a few ner ner ner bigots marching on July 12 if I knew this ****ing **** would have somewhat subsided by then ...

Given that the germans are better at everything will this increase our positive rate? and is this a good thing?

Shouldn't affect the positive rate (unless the tests that are sent to Germany are from the 'new criteria' swabs. But we know that there was the backlog of 40k+ swabs that need to be tested so I'm unclear if these have been scrapped or if they plan to get results for all of these)

And yes it is a good thing - testing can only be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

What are you basing that on?

While I do think the measure are working. I haven't seen any hard data yet to back that up. The daily reports are meaningless with the level of testing we are doing

They don't need widespread testing to see the affect on hospital, ICU and death numbers. If they are seeing an increase in those 3, they could guess case numbers would be rising in sync.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

how are the measures working? our deaths are up and our new cases are staying around the 400 mark.

cases:
    apr 02: 402
    apr 03: 424
    apr 04: 331
    apr 05: 390

deaths:
    apr 02: 13
    apr 03: 22
    apr 04: 17
    apr 05: 21

you cant say the measures are working as much as I cant say they aren't working as our testing is all over the place and not up to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Exploding whales and "blobs" everywhere, that's one way to get the message across:-

https://twitter.com/MyDoncaster/status/1247083713428631553?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

froog wrote: »
    it actually doesn't say that at all about cheltenham to be fair.

Yeah this is true the article states that's it's a possibility not a fact:

"This could include Cheltenham which is 80km south of Birmingham though there were cases in Dublin before thousands of Irish racegoers returned from the annual festival in early March.

Prof McInerney stressed it is not possible to “say with any certainty” that Cheltenham might have been a reservoir for the virus. The strain present in both Dublin and Birmingham could have originated in the Irish capital and been introduced to the UK, he noted".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

bekker wrote: »
    Anyone hear whether the Ministerial Order giving effect to the extra powers for the Gardaí been signed yet?

Nothing yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Automatic quarantine in facilities for everyone arriving in the country. When they're full, no more people come in.
    Masks by law.
    Only allowed out for pharmacy or groceries etc.
    Full tracing of contacts, though it seems a bit late for that.

Things like that.

You can jog on with that. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Daily Mail is reporting that Boris is receiving “oxygen treatment” - which somewhat kind of confirms the “ventilator” Russian headlines from last night.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8191027/Coronavirus-hit-Boris-Johnson-hospital-amid-UK-crisis.html

Pinch of salt required with these sources of course.

Wouldn't oxygen be something that could be administered at home from a tank? It sounds like whatever it is, its serious enough.

Its confusing.Paul Reid said yesterday that results from Germany started arriving back from Friday.Also mentioned their capacity was 2000 tests per day.
    However 2000 tests results from Germany would surely have resulted in a bigger spike so I can only guess that the full 2000 per day capacity was not reached for the first few days.

Based on past test percentages 2000 tests could result in 250/300 new cases per day.

Yea it doesn't stack up. Unless Ireland are at a standstill and our labs are completely out of reagents? Meaning our daily cases are all coming from Germany.

I've seen tweets from the Brits where the NHS detail the number of confirmed cases along with the number of tests completed.

Not sure why this info can't be shared...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i see the popular "doctor" john campbell has now put a donation link on his youtube. no mention of any charity, seems to be just for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

madcabbage wrote: »
    You sure Fergal didnt just say this week they're expected?

He said expected today, I'll tweet him

• Advertisement

seamusk84 wrote: »
    You can jog on with that. Bloody hell.

It works.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement