Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

No way in the world could they ban walking totally a lot of people have leg problems and they have to walk to improve circulation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    They wont ban walking. The measures are working. Even the initial measures were doing a good job.

The initial measures were doing a good job? Are you for f*ckng real?

Parks, beaches and every other public place was absolutely jammed with people who would never even think of venturing out, also the queues outside that chipper was also an absolute joke. Cop on.

The more restrictive measures had to come in because of those fools. Even now theres still too many people not adhering to the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Automatic quarantine in facilities for everyone arriving in the country. When they're full, no more people come in.
    Masks by law.
    Only allowed out for pharmacy or groceries etc.
    Full tracing of contacts, though it seems a bit late for that.

Things like that.

Not a hope - the people will reject the fantasies of the lockdown-fetishists.There is already an informal move back to normality with many over 70's out and about enjoying the fresh air in my location.

It looks like we are a couple of weeks away from a gradual loosening of the current restrictions judging from the noises coming out of Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

seamusk84 wrote: »
    You can jog on with that. Bloody hell.

get used to your current world so Seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

police state ahoy!

of course dressed up as "for your safety" :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭madcabbage

On the spot fines, close public parks and beaches if there was to be more measures. Maybe fine businesses who aren't ensuring the social distancing measures, you can't really do much more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Not sure why people would be surprised at a tightening of restrictions. Ireland's response is pathetic along with the rest of Europe's.

The measures taken to date have not even shown up in the data yet. There is approximately a three week lag so all cases and deaths reported to date have come from transmission prior to Paddy's Day - think about what we were doing at that stage to contain the spread; not a lot. As such, potentially we have passed our peak with deaths and ICU cases but we won't know this until later this week.

Not a hope - the people will reject the fantasies of the lockdown-fetishists.There is already an informal move back to normality with many over 70's out and about enjoying the fresh air in my location.

It looks like we are a couple of weeks away from a gradual loosening of the current restrictions judging from the noises coming out of Govt.

I'm not a "lockdown fetishist", whatever that is.

I don't think the government have a clue what their doing to be honest we re told every couple of weeks the surge is coming soon etc etc the way things are going we ll be still sitting at home next September and they ll still be telling us we re waiting for the surge

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Sean 18 wrote: »
    I don't think the government have a clue what their doing to be honest we re told every couple of weeks the surge is coming soon etc etc the way things are going we ll be still sitting at home next September and they ll still be telling us we re waiting for the surge

I know! The spread of a virus is so predictable as well...how do they not know by now?!?eleven?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Talisman

paddy19 wrote: »
    Why is there no discussion that Covid patients in UK ICU's break almost 3 to 1 male v female? This is in contrast to pneumonia where the past data shows a roughly 50/50 split by sex. (Page 4 table 1.).

No agenda here, just wondering why this is not been discussed.

https://www.icnarc.org/About/Latest-News/2020/04/04/Report-On-2249-Patients-Critically-Ill-With-Covid-19
    You'll see plenty of posters suggest smoking, men are more likely to be overweight, females live longer etc. There are anomalies no matter how people choose to interpret the data.

Scientific fact - the X chromosome contains immunity-related genes. Females have two X chromosomes, while males have a single one.

Link to a previous post about similar observations for SARS, MERS, mice & estrogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

No way in the world could they ban walking totally a lot of people have leg problems and they have to walk to improve circulation

Walk around the house or back garden - its not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

two positive tweets from boris today although they could easily be from his staff who knows.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

tom1ie wrote: »
    how are the measures working? our deaths are up and our new cases are staying around the 400 mark.

cases:
    apr 02: 402
    apr 03: 424
    apr 04: 331
    apr 05: 390

deaths:
    apr 02: 13
    apr 03: 22
    apr 04: 17
    apr 05: 21

you cant say the measures are working as much as I cant say they aren't working as our testing is all over the place and not up to date.

I can say they are working because our rate of growth is not exponential and has become steady and is decreasing as a percentage of total cases.

I know! The spread of a virus is so predictable as well...how do they not know by now?!?eleven?

It wouldn't be spreading here at all if they sorted it out before they left the skiers back into the country

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

froog wrote: »
    two positive tweets from boris today although they could easily be from his staff who knows.

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Weekend at Bernies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

tom1ie wrote: »
    how are the measures working? our deaths are up and our new cases are staying around the 400 mark.

cases:
    apr 02: 402
    apr 03: 424
    apr 04: 331
    apr 05: 390

deaths:
    apr 02: 13
    apr 03: 22
    apr 04: 17
    apr 05: 21

you cant say the measures are working as much as I cant say they aren't working as our testing is all over the place and not up to date.

Deaths will always have a lag factor of one to two weeks. So even if new cases started to drop, deaths would still remain high.

It could be we are at the peak now with new cases. The backlogs in testing hasn't helped. Some of the "new" cases probably got infected weeks ago. Likewise it could be more weeks before we see a dip in numbers. We'd want to be consistantly in the 200s for us to be sure measures are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

froog wrote: »

I'd imagine they are from him. I wouldn't say he is very ill. He seemed OK in his video on Friday.

ChikiChiki wrote: »

I nearly lost my leg last summer got septicaemia from a venous ulcers my leg is badly damaged I have to walk 4 miles a day at least

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭tigger123

Which noises? Who's making the noises?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,306 ✭✭✭facehugger99

We locked down a few weeks too early. We should have allowed more spread in the community first. The hospitals are all seriously quiet and they're admitting fairly non-serious cases to ICU as there is so much spare capacity.

The Govt. as usual overreacted, seemingly in response to the hysteria merchants on social media. They will need to seriously consider a relaxing of the restrictions very soon.

Herd immunity is the ultimate goal - a vaccine will take far too long - we need a faster spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

ChikiChiki wrote: »

It is if you dont have a back garden

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It wouldn't be spreading here at all if they sorted it out before they left the skiers back into the country

That's a different issue to the one about them not being able to know when the surge will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

is_that_so wrote:
    Apparently none of the antibody tests the UK ordered, work.
    I would imagine its a case that they were too unreliable for use rather than not working at all.

These reports of fast antibody tests are not going to be the quick fix some people think it will be.

Accurate testing takes time.
    Does this mean we will be getting results from ~3500 test/day starting from today?
    If so we can expect to see the 'jump' to ~700 daily cases
    We're currently seeing ~15% positive results from those tested. Why do you think that will suddenly jump to 50%?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 fuilnaheireann

When the restrictions are lifted, the virus will spread again like it did at the beginning? Is this correct?

If not why not?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Any help and advice would be gladly welcomed.
    Don't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

paw patrol wrote: »
    police state ahoy!

of course dressed up as "for your safety" :rolleyes:

This country has neither the manpower or firepower to enforce a police state. As it is there are housing estates in this country where AGS fear to tread.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

GM228 wrote: »
    Human to animal transmission was confirmed on February 28th in Hong Kong when a dog got it from it's owner - also, the dog recently died. A second dog was confirmed on March 4th.

Confirmed by who ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

neonsofa wrote: »
    Our supermarket is out of sanitizer every time I go. I use my own before I go in, as it is more responsible than relying on the one in store.

But if you saw me walk in, you'd clearly jump to your own conclusions.

Doesn't it spread the virus everyone touching the sanitizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The irony. Getting back to normal when they are damaging the chances of getting back to normal. :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement