Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

When the restrictions are lifted, the virus will spread again like it did at the beginning? Is this correct?

If not why not?

Thanks.

Because loads of people will have had it. You can't spread it if you're immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

so looks like most of our cases came from Cheltenham, celtic match in copenhagen + some from boston
    houlihan said last week that no cases had been traced to Cheltenham

I was in Birmingham the last week of February. In the NEC actually. I was never so glad to get home.

I have heard on the grapevine (not whatsapp) of 3 people in horse racing industry that were at cheltenham who have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lwaker. wrote: »
    Doesn't it spread the virus everyone touching the sanitizer

You sanitise your hands after touching it...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

We locked down a few weeks too early. We should have allowed more spread in the community first. The hospitals are all seriously quiet and they're admitting fairly non-serious cases to ICU as there is so much spare capacity.

The Govt. as usual overreacted, seemingly in response to the hysteria merchants on social media. They will need to seriously consider a relaxing of the restrictions very soon.

Herd immunity is the ultimate goal - a vaccine will take far too long - we need a faster spread.

Is this for real? Or are you having a laugh?

If its for real, you are a half wit prick (I will accept my ban without argument for this)

My neighbour two doors up was admitted five days ago to hospital and died yesterday, another neighbour around the corner was hospitalised two days ago, might also not make it.

My father lives in the same estate, he is 85 and has two underlying health issues.

Go fcuk yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This would be good - have they evidence of proper immunity yet? Any research on how long the antibodies last?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Hooked

When the restrictions are lifted, the virus will spread again like it did at the beginning? Is this correct?

If not why not?

Thanks.

I'd imagine "some" restrictions will be lifted... but can see the social distancing, or a variant of it - along with the 2m rule and screens in supermarkets staying for the foreseeable future. Otherwise, we go back to last month and spreading it around. Can't see the pubs open any time soon. Or regular flights, etc...

Now, increased hospital capacity and all the other pieces in play - might well play a part in the type of restrictions. Because - there ain't a cure!

Who really knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

why do people need to broadcast that they wouldn't wish it on him

some people are laughing that he got it

considering it what he has done you can hardly blame them

I wish Boris well in his fight against Covid-19.
    Good & all as Dominic Rabb is, he ain't the PM.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 fuilnaheireann

But loads more people wont have had it, is it a case this continues until everyone has had it or there is a vaccine?

If that's the case we are a long long way from the end of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

We locked down a few weeks too early. We should have allowed more spread in the community first. The hospitals are all seriously quiet and they're admitting fairly non-serious cases to ICU as there is so much spare capacity.

As a doctor I can confirm this is horse****.

COVID teams are extremely busy and more staff are redeployed to cover the COVID service each week. Non-COVID services have been largely wound down over the past two weeks (primarily all surgical specialities) in which they became quieter as electives were cancelled and staff were awaiting deployment. That has now happened.

The response has been absolutely proportionate. In the space of 3 weeks my own hospital has gone from one COVID ward to six.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Not a hope - the people will reject the fantasies of the lockdown-fetishists.

I don't want to get seriously ill or die. So, I'm proud to be a 'lockdown-fetishist'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

The Govt. as usual overreacted, seemingly in response to the hysteria merchants on social media. They will need to seriously consider a relaxing of the restrictions very soon.

Herd immunity is the ultimate goal - a vaccine will take far too long - we need a faster spread.

Yes it would nearly be better if people with illness and over 70s stayed at home and let it run rampant in the community no restrictions etc the only way it might die out faster crazy thought but it could work better

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Is this for real? Or are you having a laugh?

If its for real, you are a half wit prick (I will accept my ban without argument for this)

My neighbour two doors up was admitted five days ago to hospital and died yesterday, another neighbour around the corner was hospitalised two days ago, might also not make it.

My father lives in the same estate, he is 85 and has two underlying health issues.

Go fcuk yourself.
    That poster you're responding to is either a troll or a completely self-centred fool. Best ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

If not why not?

Thanks.

Yes - it will, but maybe not quite like the beginning because we are now better at the simple stuff like hand hygiene etc.

But it will come back until we have sufficient numbers of people who have had it and are now immune.
    Or until we have a vaccine.
    Or until we have sufficient testing capacity so we can better target the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Not sure why people would be surprised at a tightening of restrictions. Ireland's response is pathetic along with the rest of Europe's.

They are getting the job done while still maintaining a bit of quality of life. Austria and Norway are reporting small numbers of new cases and it is platueaing in France, italy , Spain, all done without trackers, tags, gestapo like policing and keeping people caged at home like convicts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Anita Blow wrote: »
    As a doctor I can confirm this is horse****.

COVID teams are extremely busy and more staff are redeployed to cover the COVID service each week. Non-COVID services have been largely wound down over the past two weeks (primarily all surgical specialities) in which they became quieter as electives were cancelled and staff were awaiting deployment. That has now happened.

The response has been absolutely proportionate. In the space of 3 weeks my own hospital has gone from one COVID ward to six.

It must be a ginormous pain in the hole to read all the 'tis grand experts on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

If not why not?

Thanks.

Restrictions won't be lifted on vulnerable categories.
    People will still work from home where possible.
    Gloves and masks will remain common place as well as limits on going into shops.
    Funerals will still be limited in size. Weddings might be too if they go ahead.

A number of shops will be allowed re-open. Possibly restaurants if limits can be set. Pubs won't reopen anytime soon.

Flight routes won't increase and private bus services will remain closed. State exams will go ahead but schools will remain closed until at least September.

CV19 will still spread but at a lower speed than before.

But the government will seriously need to up its game with testing and contact tracing. The testing has so far been very patchy. Good some weeks, bad the next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What sick twisted kick do you get out of posting such unadulterated nonsense?

What is your interest? Out of pocket business owner perhaps. We are all losing money here ffs but who gives a fup when lives are at stake.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

tom1ie wrote: »
    how are the measures working? our deaths are up and our new cases are staying around the 400 mark.

cases:
    apr 02: 402
    apr 03: 424
    apr 04: 331
    apr 05: 390

deaths:
    apr 02: 13
    apr 03: 22
    apr 04: 17
    apr 05: 21

you cant say the measures are working as much as I cant say they aren't working as our testing is all over the place and not up to date.

What do you reckon the numbers would be like without the current measures? Were you expecting them to drop to ten cases a day within a couple of weeks or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Wolf359f wrote: »

I've always had such a good experience with nurses, doctors, Porter's and everyone that makes the hospital run. To imagine them having to deal with a peak like Italy or Spain.... And how it can break them physically, mentally and emotionally, that's what I fear.

Agreed, I’d first hand experience of teams of absolutely exceptional people as mentioned above, full of hard work, going over and above with kindness, expertise, compassion and passion for helping people, fixing people...365 days a year. Feeling for them.

What we CAN ALL DO is by following advice, no matter how isolated, lonely, divorced from society it might make some of us feel... suck it up, do something for society, healthcare workers especially. It’s shïtty, it’s inconvenient, it’s lonley but it’s keeping everyone healthy and alive and the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

wakka12 wrote: »
    They are getting the job done while still maintaining a bit of quality of life. Austria and Norway are reporting small numbers of new cases and it is platueaing in France, italy , Spain, all done without trackers, tags, gestapo like policing and keeping people caged at home like convicts

Have you not been watching the news the last few weeks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I do feel that despite all the grim news, the memes online have been of a very high quality.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭flashforward

I would imagine its a case that they were too unreliable for use rather than not working at all.

These reports of fast antibody tests are not going to be the quick fix some people think it will be.

Accurate testing takes time.

We're currently seeing ~15% positive results from those tested. Why do you think that will suddenly jump to 50%?

I was basing this on an additional 2000 tests/day from Germany ontop of the 1500/day from Ireland.

Total 3500 tests/day @20% = 700 cases

Am I mistaken with the German testing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

wakka12 wrote: »

What are you on about? Everyone is all but locked at home in these countries. In Italy the police have fined 100,000 people and something similar in France. The police are far more gestapo like there than in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

You just won the top prize for most moronic post on the thread. Well done. There was some stiff competition, but you sank below that and stormed through.

plastic-gold-trophy-3-75-tall-p8863-34194_thumbmini.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I do feel that despite all the grim news, the memes online have been of a very high quality.

The Donald Trump toilet one could only have been done by someone with as much time on their hands as the shutdown has facilitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

[/B]

What are you on about? Everyone is all but locked at home in these countries. In Italy the police have fined 100,000 people and something similar in France. The police are far more gestapo like there than in Ireland.

But to be fair, the people in those countries are far less accepting of state authority than we are in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

But loads more people wont have had it, is it a case this continues until everyone has had it or there is a vaccine?

If that's the case we are a long long way from the end of this.
    We are a long way from the end of this and a lot more of us are going to get it - probably most of us depending on when we get the vaccine.

What they're trying to do is spread this out so that the HSE can cope with it, but I think we are going to be entering into a long period where we are at an 'acceptable' number of daily deaths, but where life for most of us goes back to something resembling normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

[/B]

Well I had heard of such restrictions but then also seen posts about how markets were still going on in central Paris so I dont know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Your callous sociopathic ravings are a disgrace, but typical of toxic neoliberal thinking.

death-per-day-graph-1584454925.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&q=90&w=1024&h=763

The Imperial College model that put an end to the 'Herd Immunity' madness in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Tweet from Boris Johnson:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1247137221167153153

I think what he's saying doesn't add up though. You don't get admitted to the hospital late on Sunday night and spend the night there for "routine tests". Especially when you are a head of governement.

Not saying he is about to die, but there is more to it than he is saying.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement