Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

And while we all stay locked down and people sick and dying their opening up the wet markets in Wuhan to make another virus for us why aren't they all f******g closed down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭citysights

You sanitise your hands after touching it...

Yeah but you could argue that there is a heavy virual load on the top of that hand sanitizer, from different people repeatedly touching it. Could be wrong of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

But to be fair, the people in those countries are far less accepting of state authority than we are in Ireland.

Maybe so. But in Ireland when the usual 10% d*ckheads in the population break the regulations, the government brings in tougher regulations that punishes everyone. At least in Italy and France the d*ckheads get hit in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I don't want to get seriously ill or die. So, I'm proud to be a 'lockdown-fetishist'.

You can lock yourself down though, and get everything delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Bob24 wrote: »
    Tweet from Boris Johnson:

https://twitter.com/BorisJohnson/status/1247137221167153153

I think what he's saying doesn't add up though. You don't get admitted to the hospital late on Sunday night and spend the night there for "routine tests". Especially when you are a head of governement.

Not saying he is about to die, but there is more to it than he is saying.

Bear in mind that he announced that he'd already been tested positive for CV19 so this is more than likely related to that despite what the UK news might say.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Maybe so. But in Ireland when the usual 10% d*ckheads in the population break the regulations, the government brings in tougher regulations that punishes everyone. At least in Italy and France the d*ckheads get hit in the pocket.

I think personally the d*ckheads should be subject to internment without trial until its over.

If your acting the d*ck, your isolated in a cell for a couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

citysights wrote: »
    Yeah but you could argue that there is a heavy virual load on the top of that hand sanitizer, from different people repeatedly touching it. Could be wrong of course.

And you could argue about the level of coverage on the hand when used. But I don't think it would necessarily be something that causes it to spread further.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I think what he's saying doesn't add up though. You don't get admitted to the hospital late on Sunday night and spend the night there for "routine tests". Especially when you are a head of governement.

He didn't look too healthy last week

f1CWmXQ.png

Sean 18 wrote: »
    And while we all stay locked down and people sick and dying their opening up the wet markets in Wuhan to make another virus for us why aren't they all f******g closed down?

Most people in the west are far more obsessed with criticising the likes of Trump, eg Pat Kenny. The Chinese will always get a free ride.

My guess is something like covid 19 will be a once every ten year event, if the Chinese keep the wet markets open.

What's worrying is that something like it could spread to household pets, in other words it keeps jumping species. In time a large number of species could have it.

So yeh, thanks China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Herd immunity is the ultimate goal - a vaccine will take far too long - we need a faster spread.

1) We actually don't even have certainty that if there is such thing has heard immunity as the virus hasn't been around for long and we don't fully understand it (the antiviral load might decrease overtime, it could mutate, etc).
    2) Given our current capacity to take care of sick people, when you are saying "we need a faster spread" you are also saying that you accept an exponential increase of the death figures. You might be aware of it and OK with it, but it certainly wouldn't be a consensual view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Yeah it's clear the doctors which would have undoubtedly been the best were worried he could deteriorate quickly so best to be in a hospital setting. Oxygen was probably administered (see what I did there) at home but he could have deteriorated quickly hence the move.

Glad to see he is taking it on the chin. Real Leadership being shown.
    "Don’t Ask Anyone To Do Anything You Wouldn't Do"

In all seriousness I hope he is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Most people in the west are far more obsessed with criticising the likes of Trump, eg Pat Kenny. The Chinese will always get a free ride.

My guess is something like covid 19 will be a once every ten year event, if the Chinese keep the wet markets open.

What's worrying is that something like it could spread to household pets, in other words it keeps jumping species. In time a large number of species could have it.

So yeh, thanks China.

Yawn !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Inquitus wrote: »
    He didn't look too healthy last week

f1CWmXQ.png

That's the most normal photo of Boris Johnson I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Anita Blow wrote: »
    As a doctor I can confirm this is horse****.

COVID teams are extremely busy and more staff are redeployed to cover the COVID service each week. Non-COVID services have been largely wound down over the past two weeks (primarily all surgical specialities) in which they became quieter as electives were cancelled and staff were awaiting deployment. That has now happened.

The response has been absolutely proportionate. In the space of 3 weeks my own hospital has gone from one COVID ward to six.

Thank you, its great when people who know what they're talking about counteract nonsense online.

The non covid stuff will eventually need to be dealt with. I was listening to a doctor today using the example of foot treatment for diabetic patient. This is important ongoing work which has virtually stopped. This can lead to serious complications including amputation, but easily managed at an early stage.
    Loads of examples like this.

So yeh, thanks China.

When all this ends surely something will be done about them wet markets their hardly gonna sit back and do nothing if its from them markets you could almost call it an act of terrorism

Yawn !

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Restrictions won't be lifted on vulnerable categories.
    People will still work from home where possible.
    Gloves and masks will remain common place as well as limits on going into shops.
    Funerals will still be limited in size. Weddings might be too if they go ahead.

A number of shops will be allowed re-open. Possibly restaurants if limits can be set. Pubs won't reopen anytime soon.

Flight routes won't increase and private bus services will remain closed.
    State exams will go ahead but schools will remain closed until at least September.

CV19 will still spread but at a lower speed than before.

But the government will seriously need to up its game with testing and contact tracing. The testing has so far been very patchy. Good some weeks, bad the next.

Initially yes, but you could find restrictions loosening considerably every four weeks or so. There would be no need for extreme social distancing measures if there are only a few Covid cases circulating in Ireland by mid summer (if there was any sign of a problem starting to develop again, they could simply reintroduce the restrictions).

Banning weddings and funerals etc could not be justified if there were only a very small number of Covid cases circulating around the country.

So yeh, thanks China.

Yeah, they gave us swine flu and now this. And pig farms are still open there. It's a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/genetics-shed-light-on-origins-of-irish-strains-of-covid-19-1.4221383

so looks like most of our cases came from Cheltenham, celtic match in copenhagen + some from boston
    It doesn't draw that conclusion at all on Cheltenham. The articles states that it could have originated here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yeah, they gave us swine flu and now this. And pig farms are still open there. It's a disgrace.

Didn't swine flu start in the US?

Does this mean we will be getting results from ~3500 test/day starting from today?

2000 from German Labs
    ~1500 from Irish Labs

If so we can expect to see the 'jump' to ~700 daily cases
    From this week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

We locked down a few weeks too early. We should have allowed more spread in the community first. The hospitals are all seriously quiet and they're admitting fairly non-serious cases to ICU as there is so much spare capacity.

The Govt. as usual overreacted, seemingly in response to the hysteria merchants on social media. They will need to seriously consider a relaxing of the restrictions very soon.

Herd immunity is the ultimate goal - a vaccine will take far too long - we need a faster spread.

Absolutely disgraceful comments. You should hang your head in shame after posting this nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I think personally the d*ckheads should be subject to internment without trial until its over.

If your acting the d*ck, your isolated in a cell for a couple of months.

:rolleyes:

Good luck with that.

Yeah, they gave us swine flu and now this. And pig farms are still open there's. It's a disgrace.

They gave us Sars and covid19 and the Asian flu of 1957 and probably others. Now they mightn't have been able to prevent some of those but they could and should have shut down their wet markets after sars in 2003. So yes they can blame no-one but themselves. Wet markets will be back up and running a year from now, they are an important part of the rural economy over there. Its only a matter of time before another covid virus comes out of them.

Any idea when bars would be able to open up they'll probably be the last to open I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed closed till Christmas I can't see social distancing being practised in pubs

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Didn't swine flu start in the US?

Yeah, and killed an estimated half a million.

GM228 wrote: »
    Nothing yet.
    Waiting on regulations from the AG according to this. I'm inclined to think he'd rather not do it.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0328/1126960-minister-harris-restrictions/

swine flu didn't come from China was it Mexico?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

Having read that link your post is totally irresponsible and nothing in the article is remotely related to what you posted.

ok removed it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement