Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

Yeah, and killed an estimated half a million.

Swine flu was nowhere near this was their about 8 deaths a week in Ireland from it in the winter season of 2010 2011

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Swine flu was nowhere near this was their about 8 deaths a week in Ireland from it in the winter season of 2010 2011
    Between 150k and 575k deaths.

Theirs no way I can see Puck fair going ahead here in kerry this year either I know it's about 4 months away

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Didn't swine flu start in the US?

I *think* Mexico is now seen as the most likely source (the US and Asia in general were also considered at some point but the latest research points towards Mexico).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Any idea when bars would be able to open up they'll probably be the last to open I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed closed till Christmas I can't see social distancing being practised in pubs

On that subject, the Govt will have to decide between mitigation and civil war :D

• Advertisement

Phoebas wrote: »
    Between 150k and 575k deaths.

Yes but how many deaths altogether in Ireland from swine flu?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Eyes will be on Austria, Germany and maybe Spain to see what they do on unwinding all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭accensi0n

27?

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/hcpinfo/othervaccines/swineflu2019.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Theirs no way I can see Puck fair going ahead here in kerry this year either I know it's about 4 months away

You know, I was really worried about whether Puck Fair would go ahead. Near top of the list of considerations (Just after Dingle Races) :D:D

On that subject, the Govt will have to decide between mitigation and civil war :D

Maybe they could allow ten into the bar at a time not much money for the publicans some wouldn't bother opening at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Any idea when bars would be able to open up they'll probably be the last to open I wouldn't be surprised if they stayed closed till Christmas I can't see social distancing being practised in pubs

One would imagine they would open when 'mass gatherings' are allowed again (such as football matches etc) but that could be sooner than people think. I could certainly see them up and running by August or September, depending on how much the virus has retreated in the meantime.

fits wrote: »
    You know, I was really worried about whether Puck Fair would go ahead. Near top of the list of considerations (Just after Dingle Races) :D:D

They should scrap it for good ha cruelty to animals again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

Is this for real? Or are you having a laugh?

If its for real, you are a half wit prick (I will accept my ban without argument for this)

My neighbour two doors up was admitted five days ago to hospital and died yesterday, another neighbour around the corner was hospitalised two days ago, might also not make it.

My father lives in the same estate, he is 85 and has two underlying health issues.

Go fcuk yourself.

The virus is unlikely to just fizzle out. The only game in town is to manage the speed of its spread. (bar a vaccine). Managing the speed of the spread is very tricky and I doubt that even the experts believe that they will get it just right. At the moment we have capacity within the hospitals, so it would make sense to speed things up a little. If there is an ICU bed for everyone who needs one, that's probably as much as can be done. (again, unless a vaccine comes along).

They gave us Sars and covid19 and the Asian flu of 1957 and probably others. Now they mightn't have been able to prevent some of those but they could and should have shut down their wet markets after sars in 2003. So yes they can blame no-one but themselves. Wet markets will be back up and running a year from now, they are an important part of the rural economy over there. Its only a matter of time before another covid virus comes out of them.

I buy meat in "wet markets" sometimes. They're basically just open-air butchers, and they're a lot cheaper than buying packaged meat in a shop, and because of that, they're a requirement in poorer countries.

A country of 1.4 billion can't easily stop traditional stuff like eating bats and pangolin. That's the issue at play here, and closing markets where the majority of a country do their shopping isn't going to stop those people eating those animals.

By its sheer size, of course China is going to be "responsible" for loads of this. It has a fifth of the world's population after all, and they're mostly poor. If it were split up like Europe, Sars would have started in a different country to Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Strazdas wrote: »
    One would imagine they would open when 'mass gatherings' are allowed again (such as football matches etc) but that could be sooner than people think. I could certainly see them up and running by August or September, depending on how much the virus has retreated in the meantime.

What percentage of the population would you guess has been infected to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Inquitus wrote: »
    He didn't look too healthy last week

f1CWmXQ.png

Is that a bit of phlegm stuck to his bottom lip?

And to think people were upset they used to close for good Friday how are they coping now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

is_that_so wrote: »
    Eyes will be on Austria, Germany and maybe Spain to see what they do on unwinding all of this.

Austria are already looking at a very early lifting of the lockdown :

Austria plans to reopen smaller shops from next week in its first step to loosen a lockdown that has slowed the spread of the coronavirus, as long as the public continue to observe the lockdown broadly, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said.

Mr Kurz told a news conference that since Austria had acted earlier than most countries, that gave it the ability to reopen shops sooner as well.

If all goes well, it will reopen non-essential shops of less than 400 square metres and DIY shops on 14 April, followed by all shops and malls on 1 May, he said.

Denmark have similar plans

polesheep wrote: »
    The virus is unlikely to just fizzle out. The only game in town is to manage the speed of its spread. (bar a vaccine). Managing the speed of the spread is very tricky and I doubt that even the experts believe that they will get it just right. At the moment we have capacity within the hospitals, so it would make sense to speed things up a little. If there is an ICU bed for everyone who needs one, that's probably as much as can be done. (again, unless a vaccine comes along).
    If we do manage it, it bodes well in terms of health planning if/when it comes back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They gave us Sars and covid19 and the Asian flu of 1957 and probably others. Now they mightn't have been able to prevent some of those but they could and should have shut down their wet markets after sars in 2003. So yes they can blame no-one but themselves. Wet markets will be back up and running a year from now, they are an important part of the rural economy over there. Its only a matter of time before another covid virus comes out of them.

The Back Death is actually thought to have originated in Hubei province and to have spread throughout Europe through Northern Italy (serious stuff!).

Having said that for most of history China has been the most populated nation in the world and has had active trade.

So it would be incorrect to assume they are a serial epidemic producer just because a few epidemic started there. They just have accounted for a huge proportion of the global trade and population for thousands of years which logically means a good bit of epidemics in history have originated from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭kingshankly

I have read stories and heard folklore about people like FACEHUGGER99 but never thought they really existed in society now we have one living amongst us 😱😱

Austria are already looking at a very early lifting of the lockdown :

Austria plans to reopen smaller shops from next week in its first step to loosen a lockdown that has slowed the spread of the coronavirus, as long as the public continue to observe the lockdown broadly, Chancellor Sebastian Kurz said.

Mr Kurz told a news conference that since Austria had acted earlier than most countries, that gave it the ability to reopen shops sooner as well.

If all goes well, it will reopen non-essential shops of less than 400 square metres and DIY shops on 14 April, followed by all shops and malls on 1 May, he said.

Denmark have similar plans
    All good. Everyone needs to figure out what the exit plan is and as many models as we can see doing that the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Im hearing from a source that even more stricter and draconian lockdown coming later this week.

2km zone for walking etc will be withdrawn for starters.

And do you want to provide that source? Or is it like that idiot from a few weeks back who's wife swore she heard it from her employers in Aldi that it was happening the following morning.

accensi0n wrote: »

How long will a vaccine take I wonder they had the swine flu vaccine ready in six months I know a lot of people got side effects from it but how come they got a vaccine quick enough then

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

One thing I've wondered is there a chance that this virus could go away over the next few months. There is a lot of talk about Asymptomatic carriers etc. Is there a chance with social distancing and with the fact that a lot of people may have already have had the virus that over a few weeks in the summer it just goes away.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

fits wrote: »

I see that the 12th July has also been cancelled due to the virus! Just shows how serious it is, never thought I'd see that happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Is it slowing down, have we turned a corner?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

According to Wikipedia there were 3190 positive cases and 20 deaths from swine flu in the ROI.

Is it slowing down, have we turned a corner?
    Soon, I guess. These seven days are critical to quote the powers that be, just like every seven days lately!

• Advertisement

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    One thing I've wondered is there a chance that this virus could go away over the next few months. There is a lot of talk about Asymptomatic carriers etc. Is there a chance with social distancing and with the fact that a lot of people may have already have had the virus that over a few weeks in the summer it just goes away.

You'd hope the hot weather would kill it but what's the chance of hot weather here but Spain etc should be having good weather soon etc the temperature s rising

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement