Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Sean 18 wrote: »
    Swine flu was nowhere near this was their about 8 deaths a week in Ireland from it in the winter season of 2010 2011

The difference with Swine Flu was it's mortality rate. If you kill the host, you can't spread to other hosts. With the COVID-19, it travels a lot further without necessarily killing the host.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Sean 18

saabsaab wrote: »
    I see that the 12th July has also been cancelled due to the virus! Just shows how serious it is, never thought I'd see that happen.

Why is the rok cycle still saying it going ahead in Facebook when we know they'll have to cancel it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Christy42

Is it slowing down, have we turned a corner?

I think if we keep the foot on the gas (or brakes since we are all indoors doing nothing) then we have turned a corner. If we keep up the measures we have been doing and don't get slack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Bob24 wrote: »
    The Back Death is actually thought to have originated in Hubei province and to have spread throughout Europe through Northern Italy (serious stuff!).

Having said that for most of history China has been the most populated nation in the world and has had active trade.

So it would be incorrect to assume they are a serial epidemic producer just because a few epidemic started there. They just have accounted for a huge proportion of the global trade and population for thousands of years which logically means a good bit of epidemics in history have originated from there.

Fair point. I think any country or region where the bush meat trade is popular are susceptible, eg ebola and HIV from Africa. The bush meat trade is hugely popular in China and that was understandable in the past, but now the Chinese are not impoverished any longer. It makes no sense that they think of bats as a delicacy. Time for a huge re-education of the Chinese population around their eating habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

How long will a vaccine take I wonder they had the swine flu vaccine ready in six months I know a lot of people got side effects from it but how come they got a vaccine quick enough then

They say corona viruses are trickier to get a vaccine that works, another 6 months?

I'd say the best hope is for a treatment or more likely a combination of treatments that will be effective. Maybe 2 months?

• Advertisement

Hrududu wrote: »
    And do you want to provide that source? Or is it like that idiot from a few weeks back who's wife swore she heard it from her employers in Aldi that it was happening the following morning.
    Sure all that talk is what a driving people crazy with their food trolleys

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Hrududu wrote: »
    And do you want to provide that source? Or is it like that idiot from a few weeks back who's wife swore she heard it from her employers in Aldi that it was happening the following morning.

I wouldn't even engage with these people that spout this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

You'd hope the hot weather would kill it but what's the chance of hot weather here but Spain etc should be having good weather soon etc the temperature s rising

Yeah true. But it hasn't taken hold in hot countries the same way it has in Western Europe. If you look at Australia it really isn't growing there significantly. The jury is still out on what effect the summer has on it but I feel it may die away in Europe in the summer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Spain have extended their lockdown to the end of April

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Why is the rok cycle still saying it going ahead in Facebook when we know they'll have to cancel it

Wouldn't surprise me if they expect people to hand over the money even if they don't cycle.

• Advertisement

Fair point. I think any country or region where the bush meat trade is popular are susceptible, eg ebola and HIV from Africa. The bush meat trade is hugely popular in China and that was understandable in the past, but now the Chinese are not impoverished any longer. It makes no sense that they think of Bats as a delicacy. Time for a huge re-education of the Chinese population around their eating habits.

"They" don't. If you asked 95% of Chinese people what they thought of eating bats, they'd be disgusted at the idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Stheno wrote: »
    Spain have extended their lockdown to the end of April

We're about 7 to 14 days behind them am I right in assuming?

saabsaab wrote: »
    They say corona viruses are trickier to get a vaccine that works, another 6 months?

I'd say the best hope is for a treatment or more likely a combination of treatments that will be effective. Maybe 2 months?
    Seeing as it's supposed to be an animal disease I wonder should they be testing animal drugs probably not safe for humans though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

is_that_so wrote: »
    If we do manage it, it bodes well in terms of health planning if/when it comes back.

Absolutely. I think they've done a good job so far. It was never going to 10 out of 10. If they did go a little too early it was better than too late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Interesting article predating Covid 19, which explains why China is the source of potential pandemics. Section 2.3

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6466186/#!po=7.57576

I have read stories and heard folklore about people like FACEHUGGER99 but never thought they really existed in society now we have one living amongst us ����

I think he probably should have qualified what he meant by saying as long as vulnerable categories are cocooned. Uncontrolled herd immunity just doesn't work. The UK found this out. You end up not knowing who is or isn't infected and the number of infected far outstrips the testing ability. So you have infected nurses, doctors and nursing home staff who mightn't know it.

There might be a case for controlled herd immunity and more studies are likely needed around this. If a vaccine is impossible, then there might be a need to examine what would happen if you injected a small sample of healthy individuals with a small viral load of covid 19. If the body fights this off it will create antibodies. For me viral load seems important. If doctors and nurses in Italy were exposed to a small viral load, they might have become immune, thus avoiding a fatal infection later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Yeah true. But it hasn't taken hold in hot countries the same way it has in Western Europe. If you look at Australia it really isn't growing there significantly. The jury is still out on what effect the summer has on it but I feel it may die away in Europe in the summer.

It's growing significantly in hot countries all over the world, including Australia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

"They" don't. If you asked 95% of Chinese people what they thought of eating bats, they'd be disgusted at the idea.

Agree and I'd even go as far as saying it is much more than 95%. Essentially you are talking about a few provinces in Southern China, and a minority of people within those provinces. Virtually no-one in Beijing or Shanghai will tell you bat is a delicacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Seeing as it's supposed to be an animal disease I wonder should they be testing animal drugs probably not safe for humans though

I think a few are being tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

We're about 7 to 14 days behind them am I right in assuming?

About two weeks I think, but they are not a good comparison for us : it looks like positive Covid cases may well be into the millions there.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    One thing I've wondered is there a chance that this virus could go away over the next few months. There is a lot of talk about Asymptomatic carriers etc. Is there a chance with social distancing and with the fact that a lot of people may have already have had the virus that over a few weeks in the summer it just goes away.

It won`t go away but, if it follows the same pattern as previous pandemics, the number of new cases and deaths should drop during the summer months. The downside of that is come the autumn the number of cases and deaths would be likely to spike again if the restrictions are relaxed too much.
    You might want to read the last few posts in this thread if you haven`t done so already.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062219

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭RugbyLad11

According to Wikipedia there were 3190 positive cases and 20 deaths from swine flu in the ROI.

But wasn't there a lot less testing for swine flu? I don't remember tests centers in Croke park and stuff for swine flu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

citysights wrote: »
    Yeah but you could argue that there is a heavy virual load on the top of that hand sanitizer, from different people repeatedly touching it. Could be wrong of course.

I've heard the same argument for hand soap dispensers. Who in their right mind touches that and then doesn't use the soap?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Why on earth have China not banned wet markets already?? They have reopened already.
    Shenzhen only became first Chinese city to ban eating cats and dogs only 3 days ago.

Should these wet markets not be banned immediately what if we fight this virus and another strain or different virus comes from the wet markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Czechs considering an ease of restrictions also...

PRAGUE (Reuters) - The Czech government is considering relaxing lockdown measures that have stifled the economy if an apparent levelling off in the growth of new coronavirus infections is confirmed in the coming days, officials said on Monday.

The country was among the first in Europe to declare a state of emergency in March, imposing some of the strictest curbs on public life to prevent the spread of the coronavirus when the proven number of cases was still below 200.

Data for the past few days have shown a single-digit percentage daily rise in new cases, to 4,591 on Monday.

Sunday saw the lowest absolute number of new infections since March 22, although figures compiled at weekends are somewhat flawed by lower testing numbers.

Health Minister Adam Vojtech said a continuation of the trend would allow the government to allow more shops to reopen from Thursday, such as those selling building materials or stationery, as well as some open-air sports activities where people do not congregate, such as tennis courts.

“We are clearly saying now that we are able to relatively well manage the pandemic here, it is not the pandemic managing us,” Vojtech told a news conference.

“We are not facing massive increases in the numbers of patients - identified or hospitalised.”

Vojtech said there would be no rush back to normality - any partial relaxation would have to be followed by a roughly two-week period to assess the impact and keep infections under control.

The Prague government also plans to carry out test samples of the population this week to gain data on the prevalence of the virus among the general public.

Elsewhere in Europe, Denmark has said it may reopen some businesses after Easter, while Austria also plans to loosen parts of its lockdown.

A vital aspect of relaxing the lockdown would be a “smart quarantine” plan under which testing teams, using geolocation data from mobile phones and bank transactions, would quickly access, isolate and test all contacts of newly identified patients deemed to be possible spreaders of contagion.

Vojtech said harsh measures now in place, including closures of national borders, schools, restaurants and most shops, and a ban on most non-essential movement apart from work, nature and family trips, could not realistically last for months.

Interior Minister Jan Hamacek said separately that a total ban on leaving the landlocked country, except for commuting workers, could be eased as well after the Easter weekend.

The Czech Republic had 72 deaths among COVID-19 patients as of Monday morning, and 391 people in hospital, including 84 severe cases as of Sunday night, Health Ministry data showed.

Worldwide, over 1.25 million people have been reported infected by the viral pandemic and 68,484 have died, according to the latest Reuters tally, with Italy suffering the highest national death toll.

Have you a source for that statistic?

Its not even eating them. You also have the whole Chinese medicine area, where shark fins and the like are popular.

The Wet Markets were and are popular there, its impossible to say otherwise.

As for eating bats, the problem with wet markets is you have a dead bat next to a living dog or cat which is then eaten by someone. Of course you are going to have cross contamination. This was a disaster waiting to happen and the only surprise is, it didn't happen years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Bob24 wrote: »
    Agree and I'd even go as far as saying it is much more than 95%. Essentially you are talking about a few provinces in Southern China, and a minority of people within those provinces. Virtually no-one in Beijing or Shanghai will tell you bat is a delicacy.

It's very difficult for a lot of people to understand the scale of countries outside of our tiny Island.

You could cover the distance from Ireland to Syria, and still be in China. That's a whole lot of diversity.

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Why on earth have China not banned wet markets already?? They have reopened already.
    Shenzhen only became first Chinese city to ban eating cats and dogs only 3 days ago.

Should these wet markets not be banned immediately what if we fight this virus and another strain or different virus comes from the wet markets.

Its absolutely crazy that nothing is done about it all we're told to do is wash or hands theirs nothing being done about the wet markets the source of infection I've seen the videos disgusting the way them animals suffer

Corkgirl20 wrote: »

I'd say a third of the world's population shops in wet markets. Every day. If they were such a danger, we'd have more disease outbreaks. This started in a wet market, but because of some exotic animal. The vast majority of the world's wet markets sell what you find in your butcher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

From RTE feed
    The trajectory of coronavirus infections in Iran appears to have started a "gradual" downward trend, its government said today, but it warned the disease is far from being under control.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement