Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Why on earth have China not banned wet markets already?? They have reopened already.
    Shenzhen only became first Chinese city to ban eating cats and dogs only 3 days ago.

Should these wet markets not be banned immediately what if we fight this virus and another strain or different virus comes from the wet markets.

Not all wet markets are the same, nor are all wet markets the source of evil - I shop in them pretty much every day myself because IMO, what I can get there is fresher, and cheaper than in, say, a supermarket.

Interesting article here regarding the reopening of wet markets in China, and why it's not necessarily a bad thing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-04-04/coronavirus-closing-china-s-wet-markets-isn-t-a-solution

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I'd say a third of the world's population shops in wet markets. Every day. If they were such a danger, we'd have more disease outbreaks. This started in a wet market, but because of some exotic animal. The vast majority of the world's wet markets sell what you find in your butcher.

It’s the mixing of wild with domestic species that is a huge danger. And here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,901 ✭✭✭✭briany

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Why on earth have China not banned wet markets already?? They have reopened already.
    Shenzhen only became first Chinese city to ban eating cats and dogs only 3 days ago.

Should these wet markets not be banned immediately what if we fight this virus and another strain or different virus comes from the wet markets.

I think we're a bit naive if we think the Chinese government can really just shut down all wet markets indefinitely and effective immediately. Such a decision would have considerable implications for their domestic economy, and it also seems that these wet markets are a well-established piece of Chinese culture. It's hard to truly steer away from that in a short space of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Lwaker.

I just caught a clip of Donald Trump referring to "luxury ventilators"

Is there different specs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I'd say a third of the world's population shops in wet markets. Every day. If they were such a danger, we'd have more disease outbreaks. This started in a wet market, but because of some exotic animal. The vast majority of the world's wet markets sell what you find in your butcher.

That's nonsense. Most of the wet markets sell everything you can think of with zero food standards. This is where the problem is. Just look at how rigorous the standards are in the west compared to somewhere like China.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

This is a great public health message from Doncaster Council in England.
    And I mean really good.:D
    https://twitter.com/MyDoncaster/status/1247083713428631553?s=20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

RugbyLad11 wrote: »
    But wasn't there a lot less testing for swine flu? I don't remember tests centers in Croke park and stuff for swine flu

There weren`t any testing centres in Ireland or the UK. Don`t know about elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Czechs considering an ease of restrictions also...

PRAGUE (Reuters) - The Czech government is considering relaxing lockdown measures that have stifled the economy if an apparent levelling off in the growth of new coronavirus infections is confirmed in the coming days, officials said on Monday.

The country was among the first in Europe to declare a state of emergency in March, imposing some of the strictest curbs on public life to prevent the spread of the coronavirus when the proven number of cases was still below 200.

Data for the past few days have shown a single-digit percentage daily rise in new cases, to 4,591 on Monday.

Sunday saw the lowest absolute number of new infections since March 22, although figures compiled at weekends are somewhat flawed by lower testing numbers.

Health Minister Adam Vojtech said a continuation of the trend would allow the government to allow more shops to reopen from Thursday, such as those selling building materials or stationery, as well as some open-air sports activities where people do not congregate, such as tennis courts.

“We are clearly saying now that we are able to relatively well manage the pandemic here, it is not the pandemic managing us,” Vojtech told a news conference.

“We are not facing massive increases in the numbers of patients - identified or hospitalised.”

Vojtech said there would be no rush back to normality - any partial relaxation would have to be followed by a roughly two-week period to assess the impact and keep infections under control.

The Prague government also plans to carry out test samples of the population this week to gain data on the prevalence of the virus among the general public.

Elsewhere in Europe, Denmark has said it may reopen some businesses after Easter, while Austria also plans to loosen parts of its lockdown.

A vital aspect of relaxing the lockdown would be a “smart quarantine” plan under which testing teams, using geolocation data from mobile phones and bank transactions, would quickly access, isolate and test all contacts of newly identified patients deemed to be possible spreaders of contagion.

Vojtech said harsh measures now in place, including closures of national borders, schools, restaurants and most shops, and a ban on most non-essential movement apart from work, nature and family trips, could not realistically last for months.

Interior Minister Jan Hamacek said separately that a total ban on leaving the landlocked country, except for commuting workers, could be eased as well after the Easter weekend.

The Czech Republic had 72 deaths among COVID-19 patients as of Monday morning, and 391 people in hospital, including 84 severe cases as of Sunday night, Health Ministry data showed.

Worldwide, over 1.25 million people have been reported infected by the viral pandemic and 68,484 have died, according to the latest Reuters tally, with Italy suffering the highest national death toll.

Denmark and Austria too. These guys might offer us a way out of the lockdown soon, as their Covid situation is very similar to ours.

Have you a source for that statistic?

Its not even eating them. You also have the whole Chinese medicine area, where shark fins and the like are popular.

The Wet Markets were and are popular there, its impossible to say otherwise.

As for eating bats, the problem with wet markets is you have a dead bat next to a living dog or cat which is then eaten by someone. Of course you are going to have cross contamination. This was a disaster waiting to happen and the only surprise is, it didn't happen years ago.

I really have to just keep stressing the whole "tiny majority" thing. I live in Vietnam, a country of 94 million, and I have never met or heard of anyone who likes anything an Irish person wouldn't, except for good seafood. I've asked so many students about this sort of stuff, and I've only ever heard about some grandparents who might still eat this weird stuff or believe in it. Asia has a serious antibiotics problem, not a Chinese medicine problem.

And you don't just have dead bats just lying around markets where people buy their pork for dinner. They'd think it was disgusting, just like we would. It's such a pity that west is gaining this idea in their heads that Chinese people shop in bloody gruesome markets with every variety of weird animal getting skinned around them, because it started in one market there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

briany wrote: »
    I think we're a bit naive if we think the Chinese government can really just shut down all wet markets indefinitely and effective immediately. Such a decision would have considerable implications for their domestic economy, and it also seems that these wet markets are a well-established piece of Chinese culture. It's hard to truly steer away from that in a short space of time.
    It doesn't have to be a shutdown per-se, but, they don't need to be eating bats or pangolins. And they need to improve sanitation/hygiene standards generally. I don't care how well established this is in their culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

"They" don't. If you asked 95% of Chinese people what they thought of eating bats, they'd be disgusted at the idea.

5% of 1.4 Billion is 70 million people who are not disgusted by it. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Sorry to go slightly off topic but does anyone know of any tyre centres open in Galway during the current situation? I discovered that I've a flat tyre this morning (looks like it may have been done deliberately). I have the spare on but am part of a contact tracing team so really need to be able rely on the car. I've tried googling and ringing a few places but haven't had any joy so far.
    I'm getting tyred of these posts.

Agreed. Doesn't belong on this tread!

plodder wrote: »
    Well, I thought I should reply as the poster sounded a bit deflated.

He's just full of hot air.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭celt262

Strazdas wrote: »
    Denmark and Austria too. These guys might offer us a way out of the lockdown soon, as their Covid situation is very similar to ours.

But will it not just flare up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Strazdas wrote: »

Or a warning if things go wrong and case numbers surge again

That's nonsense. Most of the wet markets sell everything you can think of with zero food standards. This is where the problem is. Just look at how rigorous the standards are in the west compared to somewhere like China.

No, most don't. Most are just markets in various parts of the city catering to people who are buying stuff for dinner.

Yes, the West with their BSE and horse meat in Tescos. Mexico / America with their swine flu in pig farms. But let's dictate to the world's poor that they can't afford to go shopping anymore because we think there are exotic animals being killed left right and center in their markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

celt262 wrote: »

Only time will tell but someone is going to have to take the risk eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

kilkenny31 wrote: »

It surely must flare up again, unless a huge amount of the public have had an asymptomatic version and are immune. By returning to workplaces etc. etc. the R0 which has been drastically reduced by social distancing will begin to climb again to 2/3/4 or whatever the actual figure is in a free society.

I really have to just keep stressing the whole "tiny majority" thing. I live in Vietnam, a country of 94 million, and I have never met or heard of anyone who likes anything an Irish person wouldn't, except for good seafood. I've asked so many students about this sort of stuff, and I've only ever heard about some grandparents who might still eat this weird stuff or believe in it. Asia has a serious antibiotics problem, not a Chinese medicine problem.

And you don't just have dead bats just lying around markets where people buy their pork for dinner. They'd think it was disgusting, just like we would. It's such a pity that west is gaining this idea in their heads that Chinese people shop in bloody gruesome markets with every variety of weird animal getting skinned around them, because it started in one market there.

Wet markets of this type are common across south east asia and china. Its not helpful to pretend their awful practices with zero food standards don't exist. Acceptance is the first part in solving this.

Next you will tell us there was no wet market in Wuhan. Or the shark fin industry doesn't exist and its only a small minority that partake in these kinds of things when that has proven to be false. 100 million shark fins are used each year in TCM for example.

Some pretty disgusting food practices in China and its widespread there. Its time for a change. An apology from China would be a good start.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

celt262 wrote: »
    It could but this is not February or March, everyone now has systems in place now to respond to it and knows what measures to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

[/B]

Wet markets of this type are common across south east asia and china. Its not helpful to pretend their awful practices with zero food standards don't exist. Acceptance is the first part in solving this.

Next you will tell us there was no wet market in Wuhan. Or the shark fin industry doesn't exist and its only a small minority that partake in these kinds of things when that has proven to be demonstrably false. 100 million shark fins are used each year in TCM for example.

Some pretty disgusting food practices in China and its widespread. Its time for a change. An apology from China would be a good start.

I assume you've travelled China extensively?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Inquitus wrote: »
    It surely must flare up again, unless a huge amount of the public have had an asymptomatic version and are immune. By returning to workplaces etc. etc. the R0 which has been drastically reduced by social distancing will begin to climb again to 2/3/4 or whatever the actual figure is in a free society.

Social distancing was only to curtail the initial surge and protect the Health Service, i dont think it was intended as a long term solution

• Registered Users Posts: 25,449 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is it slowing down, have we turned a corner?

Hmmm hard to know, Whether we have or haven’t I think it’s prudent to wait until we are told by officials. Otherwise we risk feeding complacency that could set us back time and lives.

That said just witnessed a neighbor, a supposedly intelligent individual, a member of the print media and occasionally tv who would be known to a reasonable number of people in society... have family or friends call and they were talking across the wall/bushes... then all hell breaks loose, laughing and screaming and they are leaning over the gate hugging and kissing ffs... “ I don’t care, everything will be grand, it’s been so long ohhhhh !” :confused:

A seriously nice and decent person but, hmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,409 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Big jump today, 507 in Ireland according to WHO

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Inquitus wrote: »

They are not even sure those asymptomatic are immune. They can't even be sure if you are immune after recovering from it and how long the immunity lasts for. Still early days in understanding the virus.

https://time.com/5810454/coronavirus-immunity-reinfection/

No, most don't. Most are just markets in various parts of the city catering to people who are buying stuff for dinner.

Yes, the West with their BSE and horse meat in Tescos. Mexico / America with their swine flu in pig farms. But let's dictate to the world's poor that they can't afford to go shopping anymore because we think there are exotic animals being killed left right and center in their markets.

The difference is we investigated BSE and horsemeat scandals and eliminated the practises. In China the practices are part of the culture. This needs to change otherwise we will have covid type outbreaks every so often.

Just because something is part of a culture doesn't make it right. And its not xenophobic to call it out either before someone tries to play that card.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Supercell wrote: »
    3 hours ahead of DoH?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    China are and even with the limited information they give the west, it appears that they are having a resurgence of cases. But they don't give the slightest sh!t about their citizens.

[/B]

Next you will tell us there was no wet market in Wuhan. Or the shark fin industry doesn't exist and its only a small minority that partake in these kinds of things when that has proven to be false. 100 million shark fins are used each year in TCM for example.

Some pretty disgusting food practices in China and its widespread there. Its time for a change. An apology from China would be a good start.

I have no idea why you think I would deny their existence after I said I buy meat in them. I'm not some denier.

I am "blamed" for the epidemic starting up in Vietnam because I'm white, and therefore must be European. If you saw cafes and restaurants up saying "No foreigners" and it directed at you, you might be more aware of how utterly retarded it is to blame an entire race or population for what was done by a tiny percentage.

That is what is happening with Chinese people now, with outrageous beliefs about what they eat and where they buy it. I'm on my 79th day off work because of coronavirus so I may as well spend some of my time arguing against the notion that 1.4 billion on this Earth eat bats they bought in Patrick Bateman's living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Supercell wrote: »

Where are you seeing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

briany wrote: »

Well I think the virus in that wet market also caused the world “considerable implication for our domestic economy” not to mind all the deaths it’s caused.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement