Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

walshb wrote: »
    Una Mullaley article in the Irish Times today about Leo’s mask slipping due to an off the cuff remark....

Anyone have any details?

He said he's heard stories of people asking to be laid off in order to claim the 350 quid dole payment

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It's very difficult for a lot of people to understand the scale of countries outside of our tiny Island.

You could cover the distance from Ireland to Syria, and still be in China. That's a whole lot of diversity.

None of that matters to people who just want to piss and moan about places, people and things they haven't the first clue about. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Who is this annoying loser on the radio?

Not enough information to opine on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Apologist is too strong. It's just a fact of life that we can't all afford nice butchers and packaged meats in shops. If they were such a risk with billions of people using them, we'd have a lot more outbreaks.

That's your excuse? Seriously?

Some of the species being consumed (shark fins) and others cost vastly more than normal beef and fish.

Its got nothing to do with the price and everything to do with cultural practices.

Next excuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭jv2000

is_that_so wrote: »
    What is that 507? :confused: 5111-4994=117.

Yes, different reporting times. I read it as 117 new cases and no new deaths as of 9am this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

walshb wrote: »
    Una Mullaley article in the Irish Times today about Leo’s mask slipping due to an off the cuff remark....

Anyone have any details?

Anecdotal story he'd heard (ala Enda Kenny 2 pints mán) about *some* part time workers looking to be let go from their jobs as the €305 would be more than they're earning. Something along those lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd say a third of the world's population shops in wet markets. Every day. If they were such a danger, we'd have more disease outbreaks. This started in a wet market, but because of some exotic animal. The vast majority of the world's wet markets sell what you find in your butcher.

I'll hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of people giving out about "wet markets" only heard the term in the last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Tony EH wrote: »
    I'll hazard a guess and say that the vast majority of people giving out about "wet markets" only heard the term in the last month.

Your guess would be wrong. Most people have known about shoddy Chinese food standards for decades. As has been pointed out, this was timebomb waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

"They" don't. If you asked 95% of Chinese people what they thought of eating bats, they'd be disgusted at the idea.

But some do eat Bats, Pangolins etc. You can't do anything, in secret, easily in China so they are doing so "with permission". The Government ban it but then, behind the counter, allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

jv2000 wrote: »
    Yes, different reporting times. I read it as 117 new cases and no new deaths as of 9am this morning.

Yup, the official government figures be up to 1pm the same day, so 4 hour difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

niallo27 wrote: »
    I thought patient zero was traced back to be a Shrimp seller.
    shared toilet at market ... https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/28/shrimp-seller-may-patient-zero-12469382/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Tony EH wrote: »
    So, what? Most of us didn't know what a coronavirus was before January. We know what they are now.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,767 ✭✭✭✭walshb

is_that_so wrote: »
    It's in the first paragraph and you can just about read it.

What first paragraph?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

The place looks like an absolute fcuking dirty dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭threeball

humberklog wrote: »
    Anecdotal story he'd heard (ala Enda Kenny 2 pints mán) about *some* part time workers looking to be let go from their jobs as the €305 would be more than they're earning. Something along those lines.

There was plenty ringing in to the radio shows bitching about it during the week as well as the lads sitting on the dole wondering why they weren't getting bumped to €350 as well. The opportunists always surface whenever things like this are done, crisis or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

Your guess would be wrong. Most people have known about shoddy Chinese food standards for decades. As has been pointed out, this was timebomb waiting to happen.
    What study/survey is that based on?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    How do we have 21 additional deaths yet the total number of deaths remains the same as yesterday?
    Am I reading this wrong ?

looking at that as well with 5111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

Will there be a briefing tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

I travelled China for a few weeks, spent a bit of time in a few of their big cities and one or two smaller areas. I stumbled upon a wet market and it was thoroughly disgusting and didnt appear to have even the most basic food hygeine standards. I visited the Muslim market in Xi'an before this which is a tourist hotspot and it was also lacking hygeine but had a much smaller array of meats (Lamb and Beef mainly) than the rural wet market.

What I will say is that there is a large cohort of poor people dependant on them. I would echo the sentiments of others that only a small % (Maybe 1 or 2%) of the population frequent them however the prices on products are fair cheaper than a supermarket and is therefore much more affordable to people on the bottom rung of the poverty ladder. Although a small % still represents somewhere in the region of 28 million people using these places daily.

If you are going to look at removing wet markets then looking at poverty as a whole in a lot of poor countries will be necessary. China by sheer volume people is likely going to be the source of outbreaks however there are wet markets in poorer countries all over the world. Its a wider debate but poverty places a huge part in this and continued inequality in places like China and SEA will continue to see wet markets catering for people

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

owlbethere wrote: »
    Will there be a briefing tonight?

Yes at 5.30pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The Chinese government have banned the consumption of wildlife but it's use is still allowed in traditional "medicine". So the problem will continue & there will be more viruses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's a good read.

From the videos that I saw online, if them wet markets are widespread in China and Asian countries, they are going to have to be sanctioned. There's too much turmoil happening all around the world from this and we are only at the start of this long road.

I am still waiting to hear how these sanctions would work.

I am not a fan of globalisation as it happens, and in fact the West losing its industrial base was a mistake of historical proportions. However we are where we are, and sanctioning Asian countries would in fact probably harm the West more than the East.

There's a general sense I think that the West is normally and naturally richer than the East, in fact the wealth of any nation or region depends on the productive capabilities of the country or region.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

The irony being that if you want to import food like Beef to China the quality expectations are very high. Imported food to China is for the upper class where only the best will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

What on earth has that got to do with it? There are hundreds of hours of footage online of these markets, more so than any traveller would ever see.

Another denier of poor Chinese food standards I see.

No, I think china should do a lot more to enforce their existing wildlife ban in wet markets.
    I'm sure they will following covid.

As for an apology and reparations for it, well you're opening up a can of worms there.
    Modern western farming practise has lead to many antibiotics no longer being viable.

If we lose the use of antibiotics, it will kill far more people than covid could ever dream of.
    Should we start draughting an apology letter?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,993 ✭✭✭normanoffside

The testing is all over the place and now no indicator of where we are at. We might have turned a corner, we mightn't have. The fact that we don't know where we are is worrying. How can we tell if a lockdown is working if we don't have a clue how many might be infected and when they were infected.

ICU numbers are the most relevant figure and are actual.

Discodog wrote: »
    The Chinese government have banned the consumption of wildlife but it's use is still allowed in traditional "medicine". So the problem will continue & there will be more viruses.

That alone is a disgrace. The chinese are responsible for the extinction and near extinction of 100s of animal species just to satisfy their thirst for Erectile Dysfunction "medicines" and other hair brained cures. Yet we all pass it off so we can buy cheap tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

This virus has really brought out the hysterical racist in some people.

FVP3 wrote: »
    I am still waiting to hear how these sanctions would work.

I am not a fan of globalisation as it happens, and in fact the West losing its industrial base was a mistake of historical proportions. However we are where we are, and sanctioning Asian countries would in fact probably harm the West more than the East.

There's a general sense I think that the West is normally and naturally richer than the East, in fact the wealth of any nation or region depends on the productive capabilities of the country or region.

Place tarriffs on their products unless they meet certain criteria in terms of animal welfare and conservation. They've poisoned China, now they're in the process of poisoning Africa and mining it clean. Either they clean up their act or tax their products. Every wealthy nation should be paying in to a fund to preserve places like the Amazon, Congo etc and the wildlife within, not pillaging it for our own wealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

duffman13 wrote: »
    I travelled China for a few weeks, spent a bit of time in a few of their big cities and one or two smaller areas. I stumbled upon a wet market and it was thoroughly disgusting and didnt appear to have even the most basic food hygeine standards. I visited the Muslim market in Xi'an before this which is a tourist hotspot and it was also lacking hygeine but had a much smaller array of meats (Lamb and Beef mainly) than the rural wet market.

What I will say is that there is a large cohort of poor people dependant on them. I would echo the sentiments of others that only a small % (Maybe 1 or 2%) of the population frequent them however the prices on products are fair cheaper than a supermarket and is therefore much more affordable to people on the bottom rung of the poverty ladder. Although a small % still represents somewhere in the region of 28 million people using these places daily.

If you are going to look at removing wet markets then looking at poverty as a whole in a lot of poor countries will be necessary. China by sheer volume people is likely going to be the source of outbreaks however there are wet markets in poorer countries all over the world. Its a wider debate but poverty places a huge part in this and continued inequality in places like China and SEA will continue to see wet markets catering for people
    It may be the case that poor people frequent these markets, and the term "wet market" means different things, but as regards the exotic animals, the video I saw tended to support the view that it was mostly the well heeled. It's really hard to believe that bats are a better/cheaper source of protein for people than mass produced pork for example.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

We locked down a few weeks too early. We should have allowed more spread in the community first. The hospitals are all seriously quiet and they're admitting fairly non-serious cases to ICU as there is so much spare capacity.

The Govt. as usual overreacted, seemingly in response to the hysteria merchants on social media. They will need to seriously consider a relaxing of the restrictions very soon.

Herd immunity is the ultimate goal - a vaccine will take far too long - we need a faster spread.

Why hasn't this clown been banned but several posters received infractions for calling him out.

He has no medical qualifications yet talks about herd immunity as if he was a virologist. He's a bitter, negative, ignorant poster who offers nothing to any thread. He prides himself on being an absolute boor. We all say things we regret on here occasionally, but not all of our posts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement