Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Red for Danger

worldmeters have Finland, bringing someone back from the dead. Looks like the way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

bekker wrote: »
    BCG vaccination may be giving up to 20x level of immunity to COVID-19, new about to be published statistical comparative study suggests according to IT's Kevin O'Sullivan online .

Just after reading that article. Lots of good information in it. Some clear facts, cant argue with the data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

worldmeters have Finland, bringing someone back from the dead. Looks like the way to go

Well it is holy week;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

We're about 2 weeks behind some of them. I'd give our measures until end of april and then look to see what they are doing and how it's worked so far

How do you know?

My understanding is nursing home clusters is our big problem.

This weeks figures will be key, but we could roll back restrictions to allow some businesses reopen, as long as prudent social distancing measures are in place.

That's about 2 weeks away at best, depending on the numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

bekker wrote: »
    BCG vaccination may be giving up to 20x level of immunity to COVID-19, new about to be published statistical comparative study suggests according to IT's Kevin O'Sullivan online .

Very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

xabi wrote: »
    Best known for his role in the discovery of HIV as the infectious agent responsible for AIDS, Prof Gallo did not go into detail other than to indicate it involves deployment of “an adjusted existing vaccine” that will be available within months.

good news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Uk deaths are down by a third to 434. Still alot, but seems to be stabilizing.

Likely to be underestimated - there is a lag from the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

paddythere wrote: »
    Its amazing that at this stage people still haven't come to terms with basic facts about the virus. How do we ever expect to beat it when we wont bother to actually educate ourselves about.

Here's another example:

A friend of mine texts me today telling about the fact that a Tiger was found to have had the virus

I said, ok but whats the importance of that?

He says, 'well it shows that animals can get it'

I said, well where the **** do you think the virus came from?
    Right, but there's a difference between a human getting sick from eating some raw bat or whatever and your neighbourhood cats (extrapolating yes, but not wildly) being able to pass it to one another and then on to you when you're stroking them..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Sorry, more potentially good news! Just 20 cases overnight!
    After falls in the daily death tolls reported by Spain and the UK today, and Italy yesterday, the latest figures released by health authorities in Greece are also offering a glimmer of hope, Helena Smith reports from Athens. In his daily briefing the government’s spokesman on coronavirus, prominent infectious diseases expert, Sotiris Tsiodras, said data suggested the country was “flattening the curve.”

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

As if Coronavirus wasn't bad enough now we have to deal with zombies too. Those fúckers travel in hoards as well, they don't observe social distancing at all.

• Advertisement

Cases went up 2000 and deaths up 200 yesterday and the opposite today. Hard to know what to make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

or to come back

Hopefully Italy can come in at under 4,000 new cases.That would be real progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Hopefully Italy can come in at under 4,000 new cases.That would be real progress.

3,599 with 636 deaths

https://twitter.com/NorbertElekes/status/1247193689878921216

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

easypazz wrote: »
    How do you know?

My understanding is nursing home clusters is our big problem.

This weeks figures will be key, but we could roll back restrictions to allow some businesses reopen, as long as prudent social distancing measures are in place.

That's about 2 weeks away at best, depending on the numbers.

That's what I said, they had lockdown in about 2 weeks before us, therefore if they're looking now to try and restart soon then in about 2 weeks away we might hopefully be in the same position. That's hopefully, no guarantee of it of course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ficheall wrote: »
    No, I can understand the complaints about the wet markets, for sure, but the whole "blaming the Chinese" and "making them pay" is a bit over the top. It's like wanting to hold the Irish collectively accountable when a few members of the population do something reprehensible.

Isn't that what international sanctions do? Are you saying sanctions are racist?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

That Kevin O'Sullivan article in IT is really giving me hope this evening.

Link here (again)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-striking-evidence-bcg-vaccine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110

• Registered Users Posts: 24,615 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Ficheall wrote: »
    Right, but there's a difference between a human getting sick from eating some raw bat or whatever and your neighbourhood cats (extrapolating yes, but not wildly) being able to pass it to one another and then on to you when you're stroking them..

So....kill the neighbourhood cats now as a pre-emptive measure?

More deaths but fewer new cases.

As if Coronavirus wasn't bad enough now we have to deal with zombies too. Those fúckers travel in hoards as well, they don't observe social distancing at all.

They are easier to kill than the virus, but if they have the virus too we're fecked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

This is the third outbreak of a corona virus from China this century. Bats are a major, but not the only source, of this. The practice with exotic animals in southern China was called a timebomb in a scientific paper posted earlier on the thread. It will come out in the wash, through scientific papers, how all this went down.

Previously I was one of those who was not out to being hard on China. But to be more accurate it is the CCP. They had knowledge, first hand, of the dangers posed by Sars and Mers corona viruses. And that their country was and remains a likely source of further corona viruses. The west needs to reduce their reliance, over time, on such a regime producing so many of their goods.

The global response to corona viruses after this is very clear with detailed research, findings published and measures implemented globally to be ready for the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

that's what happened last weekend.

Tuesday's figure could well be pretty shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

is_that_so wrote: »
    More deaths but fewer new cases.

4,000 fewer tests carried out yesterday so skewed figure

• Registered Users Posts: 7,305 ✭✭✭facehugger99

eagle eye wrote: »
    People talking about things being relaxed a bit on April 14th and back to normal in early May.
    Where is this coming from?
    I don't think you need to be a scientist or medical professional to know that it would be crazy to so these things do soon.
    If it happens it's all about money, not about public health.

Public health is directly related to the money available to fund it.

It's critically important from a public health point of view we get back to normal as soon as possible.

Thankfully this seems to be way the mood is turning.

Most of the restrictions will be gone by May.

The tiny amount of people who are in the vulnerable category will need to be restricted for longer of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

fits wrote: »

Link here (again)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-striking-evidence-bcg-vaccine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110

Does anyone know what years the BCG was given ? I know I had a round scar on my upper left arm ( born in the 1950,)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

The right direction but by Jesus they are still paying a heavy toll in lives.

New thoughts from WHO on masks.
    If masks are worn they must be used safely and properly. [The] WHO has guidance on how to put on, take off and dispose of masks.
    What is clear is that there is limited research in this area. We encourage countries that are considering introducing masks for the genera population to study their effectiveness.

... Masks alone cannot stop the pandemic. Countries must continue to find, test isolate and treat every case and trace every contact.

Deaths high but there is a lag behind cases of course. That's very good re. cases. They've suffered so much.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

fits wrote: »

Link here (again)

It would be great if this is true. Many countries in western Europe have never used the BCG vaccine (including the UK I believe). I think only ourselves and Portugal and one or two others have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anyone know what years the BCG was given ? I know I had a round scar on my upper left arm ( born in the 1950,)

For many decades I think.....definitely 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement