Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

That's what I said, they had lockdown in about 2 weeks before us, therefore if they're looking now to try and restart soon then in about 2 weeks away we might hopefully be in the same position. That's hopefully, no guarantee of it of course

We closed our bars 1 day after Spain, I am hoping that it wasn't quite as advanced here as Spain was at that time.

We have a lower population density for starters.

So hopefully we are in the same place as Spain and Italy, its just wait and see for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭macnug

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Does anyone know what years the BCG was given ? I know I had a round scar on my upper left arm ( born in the 1950,)

The BCG was stopped about five years ago. Don't think it has started up again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

BanditLuke wrote: »
    The right direction but by Jesus they are still paying a heavy toll in lives.

Less cases will unfortunately still have an unequal effect on a very stretched health system.

That's why it's so important for us to at least keep the rates as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Strazdas wrote: »
    For many decades I think.....definitely 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s etc
    Introduced here in 1937 up until 2015, actually in that IT article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

fits wrote: »
    That Kevin O'Sullivan article in IT is really giving me hope this evening.

Link here (again)
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-more-striking-evidence-bcg-vaccine-might-protect-against-covid-19-1.4222110

This is good news. Fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

It would be great if this is true. Many countries in western Europe have never used the BCG vaccine (including the UK I believe). I think only ourselves and Portugal and one or two others have.

UK did - now part of the baby vaccine program

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Could listen to Cuomo talk all day. He's very good.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

It would be great if this is true. Many countries in western Europe have never used the BCG vaccine (including the UK I believe). I think only ourselves and Portugal and one or two others have.

The UK did use BCG in the past but dropped it when TB ceased to be common.

Not sure of dates.

Perhaps the use of BCG is why 90% of deaths here are over 65 years old. When did routine BCG vaccinations start being given?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Speaking of the BCG. I got it the day after I was born but never got a booster in school. If I recall correctly not all children had to get a booster. Would this make a difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

Does anyone know what years the BCG was given ? I know I had a round scar on my upper left arm ( born in the 1950,)

From that article I can glean 1937-2015. If you have the scar you should have it. Whether the immunity lasts all that time is another question though.

UK was 1953 - 2005.

The U.K. did have a BCG vacation program from 1953

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

fritzelly wrote: »
    UK did - now part of the baby vaccine program

Have Spain and Italy done this vaccination ?

Public health is directly related to the money available to fund it.

It's critically important from a public health point of view we get back to normal as soon as possible.

Thankfully this seems to be way the mood is turning.

Most of the restrictions will be gone by May.

The tiny amount of people who are in the vulnerable category will need to be restricted for longer of course.

Restrictions won't be lifted until numbers are stabilised and we see reductions in infections etc. I would say most restrictions being gone by May is fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭tikkahunter

For many decades I think.....definitely 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s etc
    It only stopped 4 years ago , our youngest daughter missed out on it .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

It carried on well into the 80's as far as I know.

*edit 2015. Had no idea it was going til then.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Here's a piece on what countries are thinking about in an exit strategy

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/europe-prepares-to-ease-coronavirus-lockdowns-1.4221946

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Most of the restrictions will be gone by May.

Some of the restrictions will be gone by May, if you think most will be lifted you are going to be disappointed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Early Holy Week last year the major news was the fire in Notre Dame.

Sad and all is it was, little did we know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Restrictions won't be lifted until numbers are stabilised and we see reductions in infections etc. I would say most restrictions being gone by May is fantasy.

I would be hoping building sites and hardware stores open by end of April. To me that's about best case.

Any business that can put proper social distancing measure in place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Cork didn't have the BCG from some time in the 70s up to some time around 2004 apparently. And other counties also didn't give it at certain times. I know Galway didn't a few years ago while it was still routine in most counties. There are significant gaps in Ireland's bcg coverage even when it was supposedly routine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/cork-babies-to-get-routine-tb-vaccine-after-36-year-gap-1.904443%3fmode=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/galway-mother-asks-why-babies-not-given-tb-vaccine-1.977409%3fmode=amp

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Was there some rumour about the BCG vaccine being effective as long as the scar remained on your arm, iirc?

We will find out more when that paper is published.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Maybe BCG might explain the huge differences in how people are affected by CV ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Perhaps the use of BCG is why 90% of deaths here are over 65 years old.
    Most of those people who died would have had the BCG vaccine. Plus no matter where in the world this epidemic is raging 90% of deaths are over 65, most over 70. Maybe as Fits said it needs a booster? Or it's a coincidence or there are other factors involved. EG if we were to take Ireland as an example and found the Irish spread was much lower than elsewhere in Europe, but didn't factor in our much lower population densities and preference for single dwellings as opposed to apartment living the result wouldn't be much use.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Speaking of the BCG. I got it the day after I was born but never got a booster in school. If I recall correctly not all children had to get a booster. Would this make a difference?

Don't know in terms of covid, and don't think anyone does, but depending on the research you read its effectiveness lasts from 10 to 20 years against TB, with 15 years quoted in most studies I seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

I'm not sure about Spain, but it wasn't common in Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113075936&postcount=2509

fritzelly wrote: »

Its still one of the mandated vaccines in Ireland, but in practice hasnt been given since 2015. Unfortunately my two dont have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

bcg doesn't last if I recall. The booster shot was administered if you failed the scratch test and to keep your immunity topped up throughout adolescence. Something like 15 years I believe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement