Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

fits wrote: »
    Its still one of the mandated vaccines in Ireland, but in practice hasnt been given since 2015. Unfortunately my two dont have it.
    HSE info on it.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/news/bcg2018.html

The UK did use BCG in the past but dropped it when TB ceased to be common.

Not sure of dates.

Perhaps the use of BCG is why 90% of deaths here are over 65 years old. When did routine BCG vaccinations start being given?

BCG vaccine in the UK is still given, but due to world shortages, it is now only given to "High Risk" babies.

easypazz wrote: »
    I would be hoping building sites and hardware stores open by end of April. To me that's about best case.

Any business that can put proper social distancing measure in place.

Plenty of posters on here before the restrictions who said that they were on sites and distancing measures were impossible.

It's been over 20 years since I was on a large site but imagine that the break areas haven't changed that much since then and distancing would be impossible in them, but open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I had my TB immunity tested due to suspected TB when I was 19. I didn't have TB but I also was not immune despite having had the BCG. I was given the BCG again at that stage. I was told it only usually protects for around 15 years, so I doubt I'm still immune. But if the vaccine offers protection from coronavirus due to some sort of immune system boost, as opposed to directly, then perhaps that boost is still there even if the vaccination itself is no longer effective?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Got the BCG id say around aged 12 or 13. I remember vividly the 2 round dots it left for a good few years after. I remember both went green with puss about 2 weeks after I had it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

My daughter got TB last year even though she had the BCG vaccine as a baby and again when she started nursing.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Cork didn't have the BCG from some time in the 70s up to some time around 2004 apparently. And other counties also didn't give it at certain times. I know Galway didn't a few years ago while it was still routine in most counties. There are significant gaps in Ireland's bcg coverage even when it was supposedly routine.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/cork-babies-to-get-routine-tb-vaccine-after-36-year-gap-1.904443%3fmode=amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/health/galway-mother-asks-why-babies-not-given-tb-vaccine-1.977409%3fmode=amp

I’m from Cork and this is true, only people I saw my age with the vaccine marks were people who I went to college with in Dublin. I then asked my mum why I don’t have it and she said they stopped giving the vaccine in Cork.

Apparently the BCG vaccine only lasts for an average of 10-15 years and a max of 20 years. I’m not sure if people in other counties got top-up vaccines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,509 ✭✭✭✭fits

is_that_so wrote: »

And that page was just updated today.. something brewing alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

eagle eye wrote: »
    People talking about things being relaxed a bit on April 14th and back to normal in early May.
    Where is this coming from?
    I don't think you need to be a scientist or medical professional to know that it would be crazy to so these things do soon.
    If it happens it's all about money, not about public health.

Normalcy bias leading to grand delusions in most cases.

The mechanics of this virus mean its going nowhere soon. We still don't even really understand it. We being top medical professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭redarmy

BREAKING: A further 16 people are confirmed to have sadly died from #Covid19 in the Republic. 370 fresh cases confirmed today too. It now brings the death toll to 174, while the number of confirmed cases stands at 5,364 #StayHomeSaveLives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

16 deaths and 370 new cases. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

solid numbers again. we're smashing this thing.

(RIP to those who died of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

redarmy wrote: »
    BREAKING: A further 16 people are confirmed to have sadly died from #Covid19 in the Republic. 370 fresh cases confirmed today too. It now brings the death toll to 174, while the number of confirmed cases stands at 5,364 #StayHomeSaveLives

Increase of 6.8%.

We've got this under control.

To steal from Bojo

GET COVID-19 DONE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

370 new cases - based on the trajectory of cases over the last few days, our social distancing measures are really having an impact.

Edit: I saw earlier that Norway got their infection rate down to 0.7% per person, if they can do it so can we!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

froog wrote: »
    solid numbers again. we're smashing this thing.

(RIP to those who died of course)

Get a grip FFS. It's not some game. Terrible way to talk about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

RIP to the 16. Thankfully much better figures than I feared in terms of cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

As an aside I suspect the bcg booster may well have played a part in my overcoming childhood asthma. What had been bi monthly trips to the emergency with serious breathing problems just all of a sudden stopped after I was given the booster in primary school.

The introduction of better pressurised inhalers were also a godsend tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

About 7%-8% daily increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,600 ✭✭✭Speak Now

7.4% rise in cases

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

RTE news briefing has started.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

shocksy wrote: »
    Get a grip FFS. It's not some game. Terrible way to talk about it.

Real BS American crap talk 'we're smashing this thing'.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

16 new deaths
    370 new cases

• Registered Users Posts: 82,682 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

26% healthcare workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

476 additional cases from German testing - is that additional???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

we are doing ok.

Th only thing is we will need to smart when people are no longer doing social distancing.
    As it will just start to get out of control very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

easypazz wrote: »
    Increase of 6.8%.

We've got this under control.

To steal from Bojo

GET COVID-19 DONE

And that’s probably a reflection of what it was like last week. Next week I think we’ll be way down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Real BS American crap talk 'we're smashing this thing'.

I.R.E

I.R.E

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

fritzelly wrote: »
    476 additional cases from German testing - is that additional???

Why isn’t that included with today’s figures? Hope a journalist asks for clarity on that ... although they probably won’t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

476 cases identified in the samples sent to Germany of over 6k tests.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement