Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I guess Ireland's peak is going to be stretched out over a few weeks. Death rate and new cases seem very consistent for awhile now.

Essentially meaning the curve is flattened or at least I hope it is. It could be flat for a while so I certainly wouldn't advocate complacency with restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Great news. It's nice to know at least we are getting through the worst of it now so that some progress is being made even though there's a lot left to go.

He says there are now definite signs we are 'flattening the curve' and new cases are not rising. Encouragingly, most small countries in Europe like ourselves seem to be getting on top of the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

edit: already posted

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Arghus wrote: »
    There's a big strong whiff of bullsht of that "top tier" remark.

He essentially admitted that it was impossible to quantify that claim.

Worries me a great deal when I can see blatant spoofery from these guys.

What was said about top tier exactly? and why is it bull?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Podge201

Strazdas wrote: »
    He says there are now definite signs we are 'flattening the curve' and new cases are not rising. Encouragingly, most small countries in Europe like ourselves seem to be getting on top of the virus.

Were still fish in the barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

I think people (apart from the delusional ones anyway) accept this will be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

speckle wrote: »
    I think mass vacination in ireland from 1950s. Because of a major TB breakout. In 1995 booster stopped. Unable for it to be sourced from 2015 onwards. This is not to say people didnt receive it earlier than the 1950s.

As I posted earlier if you got it as a baby in 1950 you would be c70 now. Or say as a 10 year old you would be c80 etc.

Some people pointing out gaps in Bcg vacination in Cork. Some people like myself have an inate immmunity. normally because our pregnant mothers had it.

No idea if you have had TB and recovered if this gives the same level of immmunity.

Some early trials started over 2 weeks ago.
    Will try and source links which I saved.
    Still being produced internationally, think it was discontinued here in '15/6 on cost availability grounds AFAIR.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

eddie73 wrote: »
    That is assuming that Britain and ourselves are on par re testing.
    Also, do the uk report nursing home deaths/underlying conditions as covid fatalities as we do?

I think that we are where we need to be. It's not perfect but its almost a week into April and we are not in meltdown numbers. We are far from out of the woods, but compared to where we were predicted to be at 3 weeks ago, we are in much better shape. (60,000 assuming doubling every 3 days).

Its also interesting to see a doctor draw attention to the obvious futility of wearing gloves publicly. they are only useful if you throw them away after each shop you visit.

Our testing is only mid rank. That is a population assessment. We're at a figure of roughly 5,000 cases daily for any 60-70 million population country. I could do the same maths for many countries.

We're performing averagely, appear to be coping, thanfully, so far. But we are no way out of the woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Stheno wrote: »
    Has Colm Henry had a haircut??

Its always nice when someone notices

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bushmaster64

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Essentially meaning the curve is flattened or at least I hope it is. It could be flat for a while so I certainly wouldn't advocate complacency with restrictions.

Yep. The UK saw more of a sharp spike over a few days, but Ireland has been a flattened more manageable version.

Definitely not the time to ease restrictions. In fact it's imperative they stay as this is the delicate stage where it can either start tailing off or have a massive spike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

spookwoman wrote: »
    We are about 37 in the rankings of testing per mil pop via worldometers
    Much higher when outliers like Faroe Islands, Liechtenstein, Gibraltar, San Marino, Isle of Man etc are disregarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Per Worldometers, we are 38th in the world in testing numbers. When you take out the smaller countries with populations of < 1,000,000 we are roughly in the early 20s.

gmisk wrote: »
    We are doing much more testing per head seemingly than the UK.
    So the new cases aren't really comparable.

Population equation gmisk. We've the equivalent of 5,000 cases daily, at today's rate, for any 65 million population country. Not worth clapping ourselves on the back about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

The comment has disappeared, to give the poster a "tiny" degree of credit. I still wouldn't dismiss 370 new cases as insignificant by any metric. Complacency must be kept at bay or the crisis will deepen. Healthcare staff on the frontline don't need to shoulder any additional pressure in coming weeks.

The post has certainly not disappeared - no such luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭deaglan1

VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:
    What time is the Donald Trump Comedy Hour on at tonight?
    It's going to be a very great, awesome, even fantastic show.
    Tonight's star guest will be none other than Donald Trump who will be discussing how truly awesome the ongoing effort is and the great job that Governor Chuck is doing out mid-west somewhere and Governor Hank is doing down south. Focus will then turn to the greatest elixir of life ever known to mankind, hydroxychlorotrumpine, and the very great and truly tremendous role it will play in saving mankind from this anti-American, very horrendous, very not nice, very anti-economy, foreign obama chinese lazy europeans viral plague.
    Other guests, all minor stars, who will bunch close together on stage while advising the need for social distancing, will include the Unhappy Pair - Fauci & Birx (there's a cookbook in there somewhere) who will be on alert to offer "alternative" interpretations of the Donald's incredible supergenius insights on antivirals, ventilators, antibodies, antibiotics & PPE.
    Catch it live on CNN

Exactly Spookwoman. Bang average for a first world country. Something like 23rd in Europe.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Population equation gmisk. We've the equivalent of 5,000 cases daily, at today's rate, for any 65 million population country. Not worth clapping ourselves on the back about.
    You cannot compare in terms of population when it comes to exponential growth and especially given the way it's spreading. Population density seems to be a big reason for spread too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-dont-underestimate-how-unpleasant-this-will-be-body-recovery-teams-warned-11969425
    Recovery of coronavirus victims who died outside hospitals in the UK has now begun. It is estimated that about a third of the deaths in the UK occurred at home, in nursing homes and in hospices and are unnacounted for, around 1600 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

You cannot compare in terms of population when it comes to exponential growth and especially given the way it's spreading. Population density seems to be a big reason for spread too.

Well for a country without the pop density of say Holland or Belgium we have very high case rates per head of population.

4.7million population country, do the maths, our cases and death rates are high enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Distribution of laboratory confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the EU/EEA and the UK, as of 6 April 2020 @ 08:00 hrs.

novel-coronavirus-COVID-19-geographical-distribution-EU-UK-2020-04-06.png?itok=nJeiaHYm

A welcome drop in the daily cases in Europe today.

Perhaps a peak around the 1st of this month and hopefully a further drop tomorrow.

Larger clickable version here :- https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

RTÉ have just said “There are now more than 6.5k cases of COVID19 in the Republic”, and I didn’t mishear; I played it back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Cases in France seem to have gone way up again.

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Exactly Spookwoman. Bang average for a first world country. Something like 23rd in Europe.
    Number 1 is the Faeroe Islands. We're roughly early 20s late 10s without all the countries with less than a million population.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is a surge going to come, could we have moved quick enough March 12th to stop it?

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    RTÉ have just said “There are now more than 6.5k cases of COVID19 in the Republic”.
    It's 6.5k on the island.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The worldometers number for tests done for Ireland is way out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I’m from Cork and this is true, only people I saw my age with the vaccine marks were people who I went to college with in Dublin. I then asked my mum why I don’t have it and she said they stopped giving the vaccine in Cork.

Apparently the BCG vaccine only lasts for an average of 10-15 years and a max of 20 years. I’m not sure if people in other counties got top-up vaccines ?
    What year were you born .? my son was born in cork in 1993 and I am thinking he did not have it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

RTE news piece about how important the leaving cert is for getting into 3rd level, whose to say there will be 3rd level starting in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

Yep. The UK saw more of a sharp spike over a few days, but Ireland has been a flattened more manageable version.

Definitely not the time to ease restrictions. In fact it's imperative they stay as this is the delicate stage where it can either start tailing off or have a massive spike.

They need to get a handle on the nursing home situation from a numbers point of view because thats where the spikes of critical patients will come.

If we ease restrictions, we go from 3 contacts to 6 to 10. So that means roughly a 2-3 fold increase say 2-3 weeks on from the days it's eased. Could the health services deal with that jump, nope definitely not for another few week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement