Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

As has been stated often, masks work to protect the user from getting infected if they are of the suitable type and are used correctly. Putting on a mask and taking it off requires a technique the prevents cross contamination. Many casual users will fall down on that thus causing cross contamination, but have a false sense of safety.

The surgical mask, or just a fabric mask will protect other if the user is infected because it will trap moisture, and thus air born droplets, reducing their range of infection. Again, proper use is needed, but it is less likely that improper use will cause problems to others than the wearer.

Do we have any/enough masks available?

The same logic applies to gloves. It is easier to wash hands properly and often rather than be changing gloves constantly.

Do we have plenty of disposable gloves?

The valid points here are how to safely apply and remove a mask and gloves in a way that doesn't infect you or contaminate other items, the vast majority of people don't know how to do this.

I seen a person in the supermarket while doing the weekly shop on Friday going around with a surgical mask on over their mouth but not covering their nose with it which is just a waste of time and a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

I couldn't give a toss about the presentation or how it looks on tv. A lot of pertinent information being handed out if one cared to actually listen.

There are two elements to managing this crisis. The reactive measures and the proactive measures and obviously the more pro-active vs reactive, the better and we're moving more in this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,300 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Just on the supermarkets. I think they can do a lot more. I think they are still letting too many people in at the same time. They should also make it a one way system from when you enter to when you leave. That way you are not meeting people coming the other way in an aisle.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

QA can only be fully done when it arrives, says Reid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

voluntary wrote: »
    Chinese partially restore lockdowns due to virus remission.

This doesn't make sense. It's probably from incoming travellers/arrivals. I don't know what the full situation is in China and what their travel restrictions are like but I would presume they would be stricter in travel restrictions.

Are their cases from quarantines? Or is it getting out into the community over there and causing community transmissions. If it's community transmission that's occurring it doesn't sit well with me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Haven't heard such stuttering since the leader of the Wo Wo Wo Workers Party was around.

Jesus that is pretty low

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

eagle eye wrote: »
    Just on the supermarkets. I think they can do a lot more. I think they are still letting too many people in at the same time. They should also make it a one way system from when you enter to when you leave. That way you are not meeting people coming the other way in an aisle.

I really can’t understand some shops who have closed up one entrance so now there is only one exit and entry. When ur leaving u are literally bumping into people coming in. That’s way more dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Some here apparently are Fr Dougal and not Father Ted. The signers are stood up and further away

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

People complaining about these peoples tv performance, they are not tv presenters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭Sober Crappy Chemis

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Haven't heard such stuttering since the leader of the Wo Wo Wo Workers Party was around.

Grow the fcuk up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

With each passing hour it's becoming more and more obvious the government got absolutely mugged with the PPE gear from the Chinese. The little good will the Chinese had left from the people of Ireland has vanished. Imagine sending utter garbage like that to people on the front lines putting their lives at risk for the good of us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The mask fetishiests will be diasppointed but they can make their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

You know that for a fact do you? :rolleyes:

Never been in a warehouse? Machinery is very noisy. Forklifts etc make a lot of noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

Why are they insulating themselves from the journalists ?

Are they afraid of follow up questions ?

Even Trump faces the press !

Poor show.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,824 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

can they give us the masks they are not using?

Cormican not sold on masks, evidence "weak" - stay home, clean your hands, social distancing, don't touch your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

If some of the instructions are written in Chinese can they not translate them? It does not seem like a big issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

No clear answer on wearing masks , it’s probably looking like they would offer some protection if and it’s a big if they are used correctly...the risk is people touching face taking them off...only 109 icu beds currently available..

Why are they insulating themselves from the journalists ?

Are they afraid of follow up questions ?

Even Trump faces the press !

Poor show.
    They explained it at the top of this- distancing and they wanted to do the demo.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

is_that_so wrote: »
    As a member of the public I'm listening to the speakers and getting plenty out of it.
    As am I.

Wasn't the point, two screens there, they're either to provide graphical information in which case they should be in shot, or they're just there as a backdrop to suggest a presser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Grow the fcuk up.

Calm down stupid username. I can't hear the message he's stuttering and sh"ting so much. When you're delivering a message you should be able to commuicate at a basic level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

BanditLuke wrote: »
    With each passing hour it's becoming more and more obvious the government got absolutely mugged with the PPE gear from the Chinese. The little good will the Chinese had left from the people of Ireland has vanished. Imagine sending utter garbage like that to people on the front lines putting their lives at risk for the good of us all.

80% of the gear is usable, maybe you should concentrate on that bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    Has anyone watched the film Contagion. The film should be re-nominated for an Oscar. Its so accurate. The Virus in the film is a little more deadly but the film is chilling with how accurate it is.

D.Q wrote: »
    Might wait til this has all blown over before watching a movie like that haha

Watched "The Cassandra Crossing" (Richard Harris, Sophia Loren) the other day (not sure if on Netflix), it hasn't really dated and is good to watch in the context of the current problem.

ps not corona related, but will be welcomed by many:

Money Heist back on Netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

They probably went for the extra cheap ppe on Alibaba by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I'd say symptomatic people should wear them to reduce spread. They should be taught how to use them properly.

Most people do not use them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Chinese screwed many countries over with their PPE.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

can you let us know how Ireland can get enough top quality ppe in the next couple of hours/days?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

How ? They've just demonstrated some of the stuff isn't what has been used here before but is used in other countries and perfectly safe for use here once staff are given the correct training for use. And it's only the first batch.

The stuff that is fully unusable they said was mostly donations that doesn't meet health standards.

bekker wrote: »
    As am I.

Wasn't the point, two screens there, they're either to provide graphical information in which case they should be in shot, or they're just there as a backdrop to suggest a presser.
    They used them a bit at the beginning. This is a talking heads presser and screens mostly of no use IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

is_that_so wrote: »
    They explained it at the top of this- distancing and they wanted to do the demo.

The last few press conferences were well insulated from live journalists too.

as I said ... poor show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement