Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

harr wrote: »
    Anyone get the feeling they are expecting the numbers to ramp up big time the next week or so ? .. they are not coming across quiet as positive as they should be with the relatively small numbers.

With this virus being as contagious as it is i think THIS is pretty much what you have to deal with.Another poster was eaten out of it for mentioning financial support for people from the government.My guess would be the government are more worried about the aftermath of this.Even here in Norway we are in deep trouble financially

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Exactly yeah, people on here denying the fact we're doing well is ridiculous.

Ireland 35 deaths per million pop. Just because we're not Italy or Spain doesn't mean we're doing well.

Ahead of us at a glance.
    Norway
    USA
    Denmark
    Germany
    Canada
    Portugal
    Turkey
    Israel
    Finland
    Iceland
    Estonia
    New Zealand
    Australia
    Slovenia
    Bosnia Herzegovina

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

Wibbs wrote: »
    Most of those people who died would have had the BCG vaccine. Plus no matter where in the world this epidemic is raging 90% of deaths are over 65, most over 70. Maybe as Fits said it needs a booster? Or it's a coincidence or there are other factors involved. EG if we were to take Ireland as an example and found the Irish spread was much lower than elsewhere in Europe, but didn't factor in our much lower population densities and preference for single dwellings as opposed to apartment living the result wouldn't be much use.
    The median age of those who have died here is over 80. Anyone that age wouldn't have got BCG as it didn't really get going until the 1950's/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    So she make a mistake or misspoke. Well done anybody who's never done likewise.

I’m not berating her, just looking for clarification. They use a teleprompter, that’s why I asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-dont-underestimate-how-unpleasant-this-will-be-body-recovery-teams-warned-11969425
    Recovery of coronavirus victims who died outside hospitals in the UK has now begun. It is estimated that about a third of the deaths in the UK occurred at home, in nursing homes and in hospices and are unnacounted for, around 1600 people.

Very apt for the time in year :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

The UK did use BCG in the past but dropped it when TB ceased to be common.

Not sure of dates.

Perhaps the use of BCG is why 90% of deaths here are over 65 years old. When did routine BCG vaccinations start being given?

I got it in 1968 and it was a new thing then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Naggdefy wrote: »
    Population equation gmisk. We've the equivalent of 5,000 cases daily, at today's rate, for any 65 million population country. Not worth clapping ourselves on the back about.

At least we are testing non hospitalized cases. If 25% of infected people need to be hospitalized and the UK are only testing those hospitalized, then that 5000 figure should really be 20000 (for the UK at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

deaglan1 wrote: »
    VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION:
    What time is the Donald Trump Comedy Hour on at tonight?
    It's going to be a very great, awesome, even fantastic show.
    Tonight's star guest will be none other than Donald Trump who will be discussing how truly awesome the ongoing effort is and the great job that Governor Chuck is doing out mid-west somewhere and Governor Hank is doing down south. Focus will then turn to the greatest elixir of life ever known to mankind, hydroxychlorotrumpine, and the very great and truly tremendous role it will play in saving mankind from this anti-American, very horrendous, very not nice, very anti-economy, foreign obama chinese lazy europeans viral plague.
    Other guests, all minor stars, who will bunch close together on stage while advising the need for social distancing, will include the Unhappy Pair - Fauci & Birx (there's a cookbook in there somewhere) who will be on alert to offer "alternative" interpretations of the Donald's incredible supergenius insights on antivirals, ventilators, antibodies, antibiotics & PPE.
    Catch it live on CNN

There's a separate thread for the Trump stuff, I'm surely not the only one that's sick to the back teeth of reading about it in here

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Beasty wrote: »
    The 476 figure from Germany must be in addition to the 5,364 "total" being reported, unless they have been feeding German figures into the daily figures. If they had I am sure we would have been informed though

The issue for me remains they have not said how many tests resulted in the additional 370 "reported" cases today. If this is from 1500-2000 tests taken on whatever day these figures relate to, is it really good news? Let's say they have consistently tested 2,000 a day throughout (which is definitely more on aggregate than they have, but it's to illustrate this point

Today's new cases would then be 18.5% of those tested
    Yesterday's 390 cases would be 19.5%
    Saturday's 331 cases would be 16.5%
    Friday's 424 cases would be 21.2%
    Thursday's 212 would be 10.6%

It would appear to me though that the figure is "settling" at something in the high teens in terms of percentages of those tested

Now there clearly have been significant changes in those tested on a daily basis, which could very easily explain the variations above. Equally the overall percentages are higher because they have not been testing 2,000 a day. If it was nearer 1,500 a day on average you then move the percentage of those testing positive to around 25%

This all gives the appearance we are plateauing. But is that really the case? I am not convinced because everything is being limited by the number of tests done, and not everyone with this virus will be tested. It could be that new infections are still growing exponentially, but we simply are not identifying this because we are simply not doing enough tests

Once we see this increased testing delivering results (but bear in mind they were telling us weeks ago that testing was being ramped up to 4,500 to 5,000 a day, which never actually happened) things will be a little clearer. But again if we could do the 15,000 a day they were also "promising" it would give us much better intelligence

My overriding concern is the lack of transparency in the HSE briefings about how many tests are delivering these "results". It must be a deliberate strategy, as they must know the numbers tested. Why would they try and mask all of this? Well we can all speculate I guess.

I'm pretty sure they are included and give my reasoning in post #2685

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Anyone get the feeling they are expecting the numbers to ramp up big time the next week or so ? .. they are not coming across quiet as positive as they should be with the relatively small numbers.

I don't think they are expecting big numbers next week, there probably more worried about backlash from business government opposition if the curve flattens off plenty will give out that the actions were too severe ECT ECT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

What an idiot, he goes down the local green grocer and thinks it's a wet market of the type that we know exists.

Yep lets see those markets where dogs are skinned alive and thrown in boiling vats (2nd thought no lets not)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

Euromomo excess deaths from week 13 of 2020 compared to week 2 of 2017 in attachment.
    It could get worse of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Rvsmmnps

People are dying outside ICU.

Like the old people homes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

i thought Big T looked a lot more at ease today actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

Well for a country without the pop density of say Holland or Belgium we have very high case rates per head of population.

4.7million population country, do the maths, our cases and death rates are high enough.

Most of our cases are in Dublin which is easily as densely populated as both of those countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭zinfandel

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I was born in 1992, my sister 1888 and my brother 1986 none of us were offered the vaccine.

I believe nobody in Cork who was born between 1972 right up until 2008 got the vaccine unless you went a sought it privately elsewhere.

Your son would probably still have a scar on his upper arm if he received the vaccine, it leaves quite a mark both my parents born in the 50’s had the vaccine as a child and they still have noticeable marks.
    Thank you.
    I could not remember if it was my cork baby or my uk baby that did not have it done!
    Ps your sister is very old 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

No orange order 12th July parades this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

So when can we hope to see restrictions being relaxed slightly then?

If you looked at the conversation you'd realise it's related to testing numbers.

Spain, Germany, Italy, Israel, Switzerland, Canada, Portugal, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Norway etc are well ahead of us in testing. We're average again as a first world country.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Christy42

Ireland 35 deaths per million pop. Just because we're not Italy or Spain doesn't mean we're doing well.

Ahead of us at a glance.
    Norway
    USA
    Denmark
    Germany
    Canada
    Portugal
    Turkey
    Israel
    Finland
    Iceland
    Estonia
    New Zealand
    Australia
    Slovenia
    Bosnia Herzegovina

We seem to be quite aggressive in assigning Covid deaths so our stats may not be directly comparable. Another poster says we are assigning anyone who had Covid when they died to our deaths section whether or not it was the cause. Are each of them doing the same? How are we dealing with nursing home/home deaths vs the above etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I was born in 1992, my sister 1888 and my brother 1986 none of us were offered the vaccine.

I believe nobody in Cork who was born between 1972 right up until 2008 got the vaccine unless you went a sought it privately elsewhere.

Your son would probably still have a scar on his upper arm if he received the vaccine, it leaves quite a mark both my parents born in the 50’s had the vaccine as a child and they still have noticeable marks.

Fair play to your sister. She's a great age!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

People are dying outside ICU.

Of course they are, That has been made perfectly clear many times and is in line with the patient's, or their family's, wishes. This is nothing unique to Ireland either. It still doesn't take away from the ICU figures or the success in keeping pressure at a manageable level.

Why do so many look for the negatives constantly and for any reason to criticise?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Coronavirus: Elton, McCartney and Stevie Wonder set for gig to thank frontline workers

The "One World: Together At Home," event is to show support for healthcare workers and the World Health Organisation.

Awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

According to the latest report on RTE Radio News at One Johnson is in good spirits and spent a comfortable night in hospital. No mention at all of him being on oxygen although it is expected that he will be staying there for all of today for further tests.

Latest reports say he’s staying overnight again tonight.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Tomrota wrote: »
    Yeah and it’s not effective. People have so many different problematic situations at home which hinders learning. It’s not an even playing field at all. For the upper class, it’ll be better though.

Online is no way to start a college course. You might as well just be reading a book instead of paying 3000€ per year for it.

It’s better than them not starting, online lectures are working, it’s better than nothing. Perhaps library’s could open to facilitate students who don’t have facilities at home, it’s better than it not starting. The University’s will want it on time, especially that foreign paying student numbers will be down.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

MipMap wrote: »

1950s it was introduced to school going kids in Ireland.
    My dad born in 1951 remembers getting it in primary school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Gael23 wrote: »
    So when can we hope to see restrictieions being relaxed slightly then?

Tuesday May 5th.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Ahead of us at a glance.
    Norway
    USA
    Denmark
    Germany
    Canada
    Portugal
    Turkey
    Israel
    Finland
    Iceland
    Estonia
    New Zealand
    Australia
    Slovenia
    Bosnia Herzegovina

If you take those 37 add in population and get % infection we are number 15 with 10% if my maths are right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

MipMap wrote: »
    It has been given in Ireland since before WW2.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement