Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,265 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

https://twitter.com/datavizireland/status/1247215931232784384?s=19

Sorry just saw this was posted earlier also

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Corkgirl20

Panrich wrote: »
    Well don't I feel like an idiot now for weaseling my way out of getting the BCG in school :(

Even if you did get it they say it lasts 20 years max.
    Not sure if you’ve some sort of immunity afterwards ,can’t seem to find that info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Assess clinical status.
    Bloods looking for markers of severity of infection such as WCC, CRP and bloods shown to track COVID severity such as LDH and Ferritin.
    ECG, Troponin and NTBNP to look for signs of evolving myocarditis +/- echocardiograph.
    Arterial blood gas to assess pO2 and signs of impending respiratory failure and the need for intubation or NIPPV.
    Chest x-ray / CT Thorax to look for evidence of pneumonia.

There are loads and loads of things you can do to risk stratify and if there are any borderline readings at all then the PM of the UK is going to be staying.

I doubt he is in control of the country with all that going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Longing

Neighbour of mine died yesterday from Corvid 19. Her son who was incontact with her had to watch her been buried today from his car.:( Some sad stories in many communities.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Assess clinical status.
    Bloods looking for markers of severity of infection such as WCC, CRP and bloods shown to track COVID severity such as LDH and Ferritin.
    ECG, Troponin and NTBNP to look for signs of evolving myocarditis +/- echocardiograph.
    Arterial blood gas to assess pO2 and signs of impending respiratory failure and the need for intubation or NIPPV.
    Chest x-ray / CT Thorax to look for evidence of pneumonia.

There are loads and loads of things you can do to risk stratify and if there are any borderline readings at all then the PM of the UK is going to be staying.

Yes I Agree but I'm not an expert but none of this stuff looks to me like it's "nothing to worry about" which is the impression they are trying to convey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

and compared to the moon where there are zero reported cases we are doing very badly indeed

That comment sums you up Flynno. Small man waiting around to have a cut at someone and that's the best he can do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    Even if you did get it they say it lasts 20 years max.
    Not sure if you’ve some sort of immunity afterwards ,can’t seem to find that info.

I had BCG in 70s and had to have it redone in 90s as it was no longer effective. I presume I would have to get it again now since its nearly 35 years since I had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Be right back

Longing wrote: »
    Neighbour of mine died yesterday from Corvid 19. Her son who was incontact with her had to watch her been buried today from his car.:( Some sad stories in many communities.

Terrible for that family. May she rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Naggdefy wrote: »
    That comment sums you up Flynno. Small man waiting around to have a cut at someone and that's the best he can do :D
    its just that your comments are always negative, it's like you are disappointed when there is good news

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Worldometres
    An estimated additional 180 - 195 deaths per day occurring at home in New York City due to COVID-19 are not being counted in the official figures. "Early on in this crisis we were able to swab people who died at home, and thus got a coronavirus reading. But those days are long gone. We simply don't have the testing capacity for the large numbers dying at home. Now only those few who had a test confirmation *before* dying are marked as victims of coronavirus on their death certificate. This almost certainly means we are undercounting the total number of victims of this pandemic," said Mark Levine, Chair of New York City Council health committee

Seems like deaths are being undercounted by 20-25% at least in harder hit parts of the world

• Advertisement

and compared to the moon where there are zero reported cases we are doing very badly indeed

Sure 370 new cases is tiny, and 16 deaths barely a ripple. Relax lads, the weather is fine and the Guinness will be flowing in no time. Lockdown, wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭BanditLuke

That's awful. Death is one thing but being alone when you die with no loved ones to comfort you must be unbearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

I wonder are we starting to turn the corner in Europe with daily death rates falling in the worst affected countries? Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mick987

MipMap wrote: »
    How do you think you Know that?
    Scientists have consistently said they don't know if you even develop immunity at all never mind for how long. How could they? This virus has not been around long enough to definitively determine the extent of any immunity?

I said IF you have immunity you cannot pass it on. Never said there is immunity as you said no one knows
    Immune= A person who is not susceptible to infection by a particular disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

That’s heartbreaking. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Gael23 wrote: »
    So when can we hope to see restrictions being relaxed slightly then?[/quote

easypazz wrote: »
    Tuesday May 5th.

Not for the pubs easypazz, that's slated for Fri 8th.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

khalessi wrote: »
    I had BCG in 70s and had to have it redone in 90s as it was no longer effective. I presume I would have to get it again now since its nearly 35 years since I had it.

Scientists used to think it was effective for 10 - 15 yrs after vaccination, but noticed in some cases it was effective up to 20 yrs.

BCG was given to infants in Ireland after birth until spring 2015 when the HSE experienced issues with supply of the vaccine. It was dropped from the childhood immunization schedule after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,135 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

mick987 wrote: »
    I said IF you have immunity you cannot pass it on. Never said there is immunity as you said no one knows
    Immune= A person who is not susceptible to infection by a particular disease.

I presume you could still carry it on your hands and pass it on if you were not vigilant with hand washing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

its just that your comments are always negative, it's like you are disappointed when there is good news

No they're not. Did you read my Italy comments earlier on how things are improving?

Did you read a page ago where I gave kudos to the government and HSE?

My problem is a few started to talk about 'smashing' this thing, thinking they were in Independence Day or a Terminator film. I had to say look we're not there yet. Our rates of cases and deaths are high on a worldwide graph.

I'm far from negative as anyone who knows me can attest to. I've an 86 year old mother, as many posters have elderly relatives. You made a comment about how you wouldn't mind dying from this if you were 95, how the f do you know at 46?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

plodder wrote: »
    I found this link about the history of BCG in Ireland and posted on another thread.

https://dh.tcd.ie/pricediary/about-dorothy-price-her-family/dorothy-stopford-price-and-the-irish-tuberculosis-epidemic/

It was available earlier to some but it wasn't widely distributed before the national scheme instigated by Noel Browne (God bless 'im) in the 50s after a campaign by the pioneering doctor Dorothy Stopford Price.

One amazing woman. We as a country owe her alot for helping eradicate TB whether or not the vacination helps with reducing covid symptoms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

easypazz wrote: »
    Tuesday May 5th.

I think it will depend on the how things are after Easter. But ballpark you are not far off.

We are not out of the woods yet, this week will tell us a lot, and the next big issue is how to let people get back to normal? It will have to be done piecemeal.

I would prefer it if they have a genuine communicated plan about how we are "decooning" ( sorry I know that is not a word). My biggest fear is that they have no structure to it and by August the country gets swamped, not good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Germany has now tested 1.1% of it's entire population. 918,000 tests, of which about 11% returned positive.

Iceland has tested 22% of it's population, of the 81,000 tests jusr 2% returned positive.

Many countries still maintain worryingly low levels of testing. Algeria with nearly 200 deaths, has tested just 3350 people. Morocco with 80 deaths has tested just 5,100 people. Brazil with over 500 deaths has tested just 54,000 people. Argentina with nearly 50 deaths has tested 10,000 people. Ukrain with nearly 50 deaths has testd just 5000

One of the most shocking is Iran with 60,000 cases and nearly 4000 deaths, has tested just 180,000 people. 35% of tests back positive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,232 ✭✭✭plodder

I found another page about BCG from the NHS, which says some of the protection "may even last for 60 years".

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinations/bcg-tb-vaccine-questions-answers/

It might not stop you getting TB after 30-40 years, but there could be some residual benefit that makes this Covid disease less severe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Boris not in a good way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Talisman

Corkgirl20 wrote: »
    I’m from Cork and this is true, only people I saw my age with the vaccine marks were people who I went to college with in Dublin. I then asked my mum why I don’t have it and she said they stopped giving the vaccine in Cork.

Apparently the BCG vaccine only lasts for an average of 10-15 years and a max of 20 years. I’m not sure if people in other counties got top-up vaccines ?
    I got the BCG vaccine while in Cork around 1984/5. My sister and brother are both younger and they got it when they were in 5th/6th class. My brother says he got it in 1993 and still has the lumps on his arm.

From my recollection the BCG was opt-in, there were three boys in my class that didn't even get the screening test. My mother lost three siblings to TB so she was adamant that we were getting it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Boris not in a good way

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Coronavirus: Elton, McCartney and Stevie Wonder set for gig to thank frontline workers

The "One World: Together At Home," event is to show support for healthcare workers and the World Health Organisation.

Awesome.

also bressie has been added

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Boris not in a good way

You someone else with a source?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

Boris not in a good way

Case progression is important go through, link below, so It's actually hard to say how he is actually doing. Based on Wuhan, day 10 (the day he was hospitalized) is pretty much the turning point towards good or bad towards ICU. Given he didn't need hospital till day 10, I'd doubt he is in a bad way right now.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-covid19-day-by-day-symptoms-patients-2020-2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement