Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

kilkenny31 wrote: »
    One restriction that really is starting to bother me is the funeral restriction. There was somebody who died locally that would have been very popular in the community. In their mid 40s and local people are devastated.

I just think its devastating that the family will go through this alone. There should be a relaxing of restrictions even for the graveyard. Allow people to gather while maintaining social distancing. It's too important to Irish people.

I hear you loud and clear about funerals. It must be very very hard. There's something about wakes here in Ireland that helps with the grieving process but restrictions on gatherings can't be loosened. It's just too risky and encourages spread of the Covid-19.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One restriction that really is starting to bother me is the funeral restriction. There was somebody who died locally that would have been very popular in the community. In their mid 40s and local people are devastated.

I just think its devastating that the family will go through this alone. There should be a relaxing of restrictions even for the graveyard. Allow people to gather while maintaining social distancing. It's too important to Irish people.

No there shouldnt

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

frillyleaf wrote: »
    Why do you say this? I hope he makes a full recovery :(
    Well, Not a great fan of Boris, but I really find myself routing for him over this. Really hope he comes out of this well.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭frillyleaf

BCG is not on the immunisation schedule for newborns. Hasn't been since April 2015.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/immunisation/pubinfo/pcischedule/immschedule/

Why is it listed here if it isn’t ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All my kids, 9,13,15 had the BCG granted they are all prior to 2015

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Beautiful April evening. Out walking since 6.30pm. Anyone can, get out for the last of the day. Would do you good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

owlbethere wrote: »
    I hear you loud and clear about funerals. It must be very very hard. There's something about wakes here in Ireland that helps with the grieving process but restrictions on gatherings can't be loosened. It's just too risky and encourages spread of the Covid-19.

Absolutely agree, think of all the hand shaking, close proximity, people catching up who haven’t seen each other for years, and tissues and tears, perfect environment for covid to spread. It is very hard on anyone burying loved ones now, but everything is these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

BCG has not been routine here for 5+ years, says so on that link too.

When you visit that link try clicking where it says 'here' for more information in the BCG section.

Also fúck the negativity in here, I think our HSE, Gov and associated agencies have done a damn good job with the limited financial clout we have globally with the US stealing supplies from France etc.

Our HSE might not be the best funded, but they are working and are our heroes. We made moves to stem the surge earlier than most of our peers, and lets hope it lessens the impact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I presume you could still carry it on your hands and pass it on if you were not vigilant with hand washing

Of course but medically you can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

Beasty wrote: »
    The 476 figure from Germany must be in addition to the 5,364 "total" being reported, unless they have been feeding German figures into the daily figures. If they had I am sure we would have been informed though

The issue for me remains they have not said how many tests resulted in the additional 370 "reported" cases today. If this is from 1500-2000 tests taken on whatever day these figures relate to, is it really good news? Let's say they have consistently tested 2,000 a day throughout (which is definitely more on aggregate than they have, but it's to illustrate this point

Today's new cases would then be 18.5% of those tested
    Yesterday's 390 cases would be 19.5%
    Saturday's 331 cases would be 16.5%
    Friday's 424 cases would be 21.2%
    Thursday's 212 would be 10.6%

It would appear to me though that the figure is "settling" at something in the high teens in terms of percentages of those tested

Now there clearly have been significant changes in those tested on a daily basis, which could very easily explain the variations above. Equally the overall percentages are higher because they have not been testing 2,000 a day. If it was nearer 1,500 a day on average you then move the percentage of those testing positive to around 25%

This all gives the appearance we are plateauing. But is that really the case? I am not convinced because everything is being limited by the number of tests done, and not everyone with this virus will be tested. It could be that new infections are still growing exponentially, but we simply are not identifying this because we are simply not doing enough tests

Once we see this increased testing delivering results (but bear in mind they were telling us weeks ago that testing was being ramped up to 4,500 to 5,000 a day, which never actually happened) things will be a little clearer. But again if we could do the 15,000 a day they were also "promising" it would give us much better intelligence

My overriding concern is the lack of transparency in the HSE briefings about how many tests are delivering these "results". It must be a deliberate strategy, as they must know the numbers tested. Why would they try and mask all of this? Well we can all speculate I guess.

Speculating on Testing statistics/data is one thing but we should not have to speculate on Deaths. A sample of blood from every poor soul who dies should be stored for testing.

When a post-mortem :o of this pandemic is done it will undoubtedly reveal a lot of fcuk ups and horrifying mistakes but it better not suggest that measues were taken to hinder the collection of robust scientific data.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I'm pretty sure they are included and give my reasoning in post #2685

If they are they would avoid confusion and skepticism over the figures they are reporting by saying so. Hopefully they will do tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

Borris is in ICU. Sky news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Did you click into the link where it provides more information and states it hasn't been administered since 2015?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭gipi

And what about the funeral director staff? People gather for one funeral and might get away with it, the staff are present at every funeral, so run a higher risk (on top of the risk of dealing with deceased who might have had Covid, or of collecting deceased from homes where the reason for death isn't known). Many funeral director staff are in the older age group too - one of my local directors has lost a staff member because he is over 70 and has to cocoon, so can't work.

Restrictions are there for a reason. There will be plenty of time for memorials when this crisis has passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭blackcard

Serious. Wish him the best

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Jesus that’s nuts about Boris, confirmed on BBC he’s in ICU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

LBC reporting Boris Johnson in intensive care.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,353 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Christy42 wrote: »
    We seem to be quite aggressive in assigning Covid deaths so our stats may not be directly comparable. Another poster says we are assigning anyone who had Covid when they died to our deaths section whether or not it was the cause. Are each of them doing the same? How are we dealing with nursing home/home deaths vs the above etc.
    They are only doing so if the person had tested positive. They do not enter the figures at all if they never tested positive, and that may be masking a lot of Covid-19 related deaths

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Extremely serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

That’s not good at all

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

Boris now in ICU
    BBC News

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭blackcard

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    LBC reporting Boris Johnson in intensive care.

Condition has deteriorated but not on ventilator at 7pm. Wish him well as I would anyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jaysus. Don't like the man at all but hope he pulls through.

Andrew00 wrote: »
    Extremely serious

I cannot abide the man, but no one wishes ill on another, he will be in my thoughts, I am not a prayer myself, but best wishes Mr Johnson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

blackcard wrote: »
    Condition has deteriorated but not on ventilator at 7pm. Wish him well as I would anyone else

Sky now say he was put on a ventilator shortly after 7pm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,969 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Poor man. But some do come out of ICU and recover.

It must be very unsettling in UK now. I know he is just one of many who are seriously ill, but he is PM and the last thing any country needs is a political crisis. His fiancee is pregnant and has the virus also.

You could only wish him well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

MipMap wrote: »
    Boris now in ICU
    BBC News

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

Beasty wrote: »
    If they are they would avoid confusion and skepticism over the figures they are reporting by saying so. Hopefully they will do tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath

I don't think there is a deliberate attempt to mislead.I just think the journalists dont ask the right questions.In fairness George Lee did a couple of times last week but some of the journalists ask questions that have already been covered but the CMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

C'mon Boris..... The world's a better place with you in it!!

Seriously, saying a prayer for this guy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement