Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XIV - 8,089 in ROI (288 deaths) 1,589 in NI (92 deaths) (10/04) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Today I've seen far more people out and cars on roads. Some lockdown.

Truth, again, I’m seeing families taking the regular path to the park passed my house, earlier, kids hanging out of Dad, minutes ago three walkers side by side. As I’m typing gang of lads with football, as I’m typing a Garda van follows them around the corner and a rather audible discussion ensues.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,643 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

****, **** & ****, I really like Boris, such a breath of fresh air from his robotic predecessor, and now this. Yes I hear many people cry, but we hate his politics, well that's fine, but on a human level he's one of us, just a normal man in his mid fifties.

Really hope he pulls through alright.

Can't stand the man myself. Still wish him all the best though.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭iwillyeah1234

MipMap wrote: »
    Stiff Upper Lip and all that!

Indeed. With the Queen addressing their nation the other night and invoking WW2 imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭threeball

That was the Italian stat I came across. 80% death rate if on ventilators. Doctors had to play God. Horrific stuff.

I think thats because they didn't even have a ventilator to put them on. Other stats show its 50/50 when the equipment is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

screamer wrote: »
    If you are ventilated, you have a 20% chance of survival. We’re being told that he’s not on a ventilator, so hopefully his chances are better. The long term damage from covid19 is pretty bad for people who survive a bad case of it.

How do we know the long term damage when it's only 4 months since the first case?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Indeed. With the Queen addressing their nation the other night and invoking WW2 imagery.

Will anyone remember that speech after this latest news?

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Wish Boris the best, wouldn't wish this horrid illness on anyone

Neither would I. Don't care much for his politics but would also wish him all the best and speedy recovery. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tandey

tuxy wrote: »
    The best care but he was deliberately shaking hands and in close contact with many with COVID-19.
    High initial viral loads can determine the outcome.

Stupidity of the highest order if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭optogirl

****, **** & ****, I really like Boris, such a breath of fresh air from his robotic predecessor, and now this. Yes I hear many people cry, but we hate his politics, well that's fine, but on a human level he's one of us, just a normal man in his mid fifties.

Really hope he pulls through alright.

I wish him all the best but I don't count him as 'one of us'. I can count how many children I have, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

I wouldn't take them at face value when they say he is not on a ventilator.

This time last night they said it was only a precaution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭joe_99

I can't believe the UK govt thought herd immunity was a good idea. Boris is suffering now due that monumental and callous error

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Let’s be honest here - ICU means some sort of breathing assistance. And we know from Italian and Spanish stats that the chances of survival are 50/50 at best.

This ain’t good.

Im sure survival rate is more than 50 50 because of his age and general health,. The median age chances are 50 50 in spain and Italy maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Let’s be honest here - ICU means some sort of breathing assistance. And we know from Italian and Spanish stats that the chances of survival are 50/50 at best.

This ain’t good.

Maybe he's in ICU in case he needs a ventilator. I'd guess the PM gets a higher standard of care so they'll have a ventilator ready to go if needed.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Are they?

They really are.
    The only push back against the lockdown has been Peter Hitchens. And that’s about it. The media are in complete lock step with the government.

Very “wartime” kind of feeling over here in Sasana.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Maybe now, finally, the minority of idiots still thinking this can’t affect them will wake up and start taking this seriously. This is a nasty killer virus that can take anyone if they have a bad reaction to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Boris Johnson in intensive care

• Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭screamer

How do we know the long term damage when it's only 4 months since the first case?

People who get a bad case of it, can develop bilateral interstitial pneumonia. Google that there and see the prognosis for someone with that is 3 to 5 years.
    Now, I’m talking about bad cases, but even so, if you’re being admitted to ICU that kinda tells you it’s not a mild case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

optogirl wrote: »
    I wish him all the best but I don't count him as 'one of us'. I can count how many children I have, for example.

In fairness, that is easier for a lady.

easypazz wrote: »

And he was just going in for “tests”.

It’s escalated rapidly hasn’t it.

Tandey wrote: »
    Stupidity of the highest order if true.

It is true you can search youtube for the video of a press conference where he boasted about shaking hands with COVID-19 patients.
    It was from when the UK were still in their herd immunity stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭blackcard

CNN Chief Medical Correspondent saying that it wasn't unusual for a decline to set in after 10 days. If he has to be put on a ventilator, he would have to be sedated which would mean that he would not be conscious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

They really are.
    The only push back against the lockdown has been Peter Hitchens. And that’s about it. The media are in complete lock step with the government.

Out having wartime picnics! Lots of areas over there seem to be ignoring it from my friends living in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭threeball

easypazz wrote: »

If he needs to be that close to one that he can be put on it immediately then its highly likely he ends up on it. How hard is it to roll him down a hall to ICU if he wasn't in imminent danger.

And he was just going in for “tests”.

It’s escalated rapidly hasn’t it.

They were not necessarily lying.
    Many many reports of people going critical very fast with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

screamer wrote: »
    People who get a bad case of it, can develop bilateral interstitial pneumonia. Google that there and see the prognosis for someone with that is 3 to 5 years.
    Now, I’m talking about bad cases, but even so, if you’re being admitted to ICU that kinda tells you it’s not a mild case.

Oh I'm not doubting you, it was a genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

They really are.

Sorry, I thought you meant they are downplaying Boris entering ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MipMap

It is true you can search youtube for the video of a press conference where he boasted about shaking hands with COVID-19 patients.

Great ! But now is not the Time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

https://news.sky.com/video/coronavirus-i-shook-hands-with-everybody-11948548

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Gael23 wrote:
    You can’t shut down the world forever so we will eventually get to a point where life must go on
    We don't need to **** down forever. We need to stay as we are until there are no new cases.
    That seems like too long for a lot of people, mainly those who care more about money than people's lives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement