Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I have found it odd that it wasn’t his job after it became clear he was making a bad job of it. Daily press briefings, appointing people, task force then it became someone else’s job. I must be old fashioned I expect leaders to lead, nobody expected him to fix it but all he had to do was get the best people in to give the best advice and follow it. Now he still claiming he’s doing a good job and did a good job and still people are saying it’s not his job. It would be funny if it wasn’t literally people lives at stake.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And what is he doing about it now? Is he leading the charge to get it sorted? Is he leading the charge for six week push to get rid of it? Or is he flouting States laws to hold campaign rallies to try to get re-elected?

Over 200k dead, and when apart from making up promises about vaccines, what plan does he have? What is the plan to get through the winter given that flu season is fast approaching?

His 'response' is now that he has washed his hands of the whole thing. Nothing to do with him, its the governors fault, especially democratic governors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

In his own mind Covid is done and dusted. Therefore nothing to so with him any longer. I think he convinces himself of his own alternate reality every day, in his little Fox News/OANN positive-feedback bubble. He says it's over, then Fox parrots him, and he goes "See? I'm right". I think he actually believes this himself. This is one of the reasons he lies so effortlessly and shamelessly. In his own mind this is the actual truth. That is, whatever he wants or needs it to be at any given moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

davedanon wrote: »
    In his own mind Covid is done and dusted. Therefore nothing to so with him any longer. I think he convinces himself of his own alternate reality every day, in his little Fox News/OANN positive-feedback bubble. He says it's over, then Fox parrots him, and he goes "See? I'm right". I think he actually believes this himself. This is one of the reasons he lies so effortlessly and shamelessly. In his own mind this is the actual truth. That is, whatever he wants or needs it to be at any given moment.

I love OANN at the press conferences. Hilarious. It's basically this:

President Trump, your campaign seems to have the momentum of a runaway freight train. Why are you so popular?

And Mike Pence seems to have simply gotten away with it. He was made the head of the task force, but seems to have simply given up on doing anything.

I trust Harris will grill him over this. Why, as head of the taskforce, has he failed so miserably to deliver the result Trump demanded, surely he should be stepping down as VP?

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And what is he doing about it now? Is he leading the charge to get it sorted? Is he leading the charge for six week push to get rid of it? Or is he flouting States laws to hold campaign rallies to try to get re-elected?

Over 200k dead, and when apart from making up promises about vaccines, what plan does he have? What is the plan to get through the winter given that flu season is fast approaching?

His 'response' is now that he has washed his hands of the whole thing. Nothing to do with him, its the governors fault, especially democratic governors.

I think his plan is to get re-elected. Focus on that.

And regarding the pandemic were 200K have died so far he is just making sure he gets tested lots and the people around him get tested so he will be safe from the virus.

i.e. Look after number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Pennsylvania Gov Tom Wolf and State Representative Ullman caught calling facemasks “political theater”:

https://twitter.com/yrnf/status/1311065135667204096

See another 44,227 cases yesterday and close to 1,000 more deaths. Over 210K deaths now. Doesn't seem to be any and end to these deaths in sight. Trump needs to get a hold on this as well as focussing on the vaccine I feel. The vaccine doesn't seem like the golden ticket he makes it out to be when you read up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,226 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

hetuzozaho wrote:
    See another 44,227 cases yesterday and close to 1,000 more deaths. Over 210K deaths now. Doesn't seem to be any and end to these deaths in sight. Trump needs to get a hold on this as well as focussing on the vaccine I feel. The vaccine doesn't seem like the golden ticket he makes it out to be when you read up on it.

Shur trump doesn't care about it, just as long as he's fine

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Shur trump doesn't care about it, just as long as he's fine

Exactly. He just needs to create the idea that a vaccine is coming, mostly down to his administration, and that it will be here soon.

That is enough, they hope, to get people to vote for him.

If it doesn't result in COVID going away after the election, well so what. Nobody can reverse the result so its all good.

• Advertisement

hetuzozaho wrote: »

Why would you even bother 'reading up about it'? It's Trump. It's a lie. An expedient, political lie to further his re-election hopes.

Why would you even bother 'reading up about it'? It's Trump. It's a lie. An expedient, political lie to further his re-election hopes.

What is a lie?

What is a lie?

Pretty much everything that comes out of his cat's bum mouth, but in this specific instance, his claim that the vaccine 'is pretty much ready'. That is a lie.

Pretty much everything that comes out of his cat's bum mouth, but in this specific instance, his claim that the vaccine 'is pretty much ready'. That is a lie.

Oh I meant more generally with the vaccine. Even if it was ready to go tomorrow. There's more to it than that.

Whatever about a vaccine, it is clear that Trump never got near getting the virus under control and even now, months after the initial outbreak in the US, they are no closer to getting it under control.

Think back to his remarks in March and April. Pretty much depending states reopen, putting pressure on governors to reopen and calling out those who didn't. He wanted churches reopened for Easter!

Maybe a vaccine arrives, but what will be the take up given the joint thoughts of the whole thing being fake coupled with anti-vaccers (although I would hazard that there is quite a cross over between those groups).

But if it is delayed, or isn't the cur all it is being touted as, what us the plan then? Because right now they have no idea how to stop this.

Maybe a vaccine arrives, but what will be the take up given the joint thoughts of the whole thing being fake coupled with anti-vaccers (although I would hazard that there is quite a cross over between those groups).

Ha yeah, I could imagine heads exploding within his base, to save Trump you must get vaccinated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭threeball

Whatever about a vaccine, it is clear that Trump never got near getting the virus under control and even now, months after the initial outbreak in the US, they are no closer to getting it under control.

Think back to his remarks in March and April. Pretty much depending states reopen, putting pressure on governors to reopen and calling out those who didn't. He wanted churches reopened for Easter!

But if it is delayed, or isn't the cur all it is being touted as, what us the plan then? Because right now they have no idea how to stop this.

I think the cohort that would normally take a vaccine but would complete distrust this one due to the pressure applied from Trump and the apparent haste of it all is a much bigger issue. And who could blame them, it does look decidedly dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,188 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The virus just keeps on getting closer and closer to trump. Hope Hicks, who traveled with him on air force 1 as recently as Tuesday, has tested positive. Id imagine that even if he does catch it he will try to brazen it out as much as possible and probably only admit to it if he has to due to being unable to fulfill his duties.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

So Trump and his wife have it - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54381848
    Bad as he is and all, I dont wish it on anyone.
    If he is hospitalised its going to be even more chaotic stateside than even recently.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

At his weight and age he would be high risk too.

• Advertisement

Why did he get tested? Doesn't he know testing causes cases? Rookie mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Supercell wrote: »
    So Trump and his wife have it - https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-54381848
    Bad as he is and all, I dont wish it on anyone.
    If he is hospitalised its going to be even more chaotic stateside than even recently.

He will have no symptoms

Strongest president thats ever lived

How dare Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 86,081 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Will he be using dettol bleach?

You'd have to start to think the response has been poor.

October 2nd, months into the pandemic, 47,389 cases yesterday and Trump is one of them! TBF still this week he was making fun of Biden wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,569 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You'd have to start to think the response has been poor.

October 2nd, months into the pandemic, 47,389 cases yesterday and Trump is one of them! TBF still this week he was making fun of Biden wearing a mask.

It will be interesting if getting COVID19 changes Trump's attitude to it. It worked with Boris over in England.
    Plus, it will also give Trump the opportunity to play the martyr card during the election?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

It will be interesting if getting COVID19 changes Trump's attitude to it.

I think he may up his protections, I don't think he'll change anything for the people of America.

It will be interesting if getting COVID19 changes Trump's attitude to it. It worked with Boris over in England.
    Plus, it will also give Trump the opportunity to play the martyr card during the election?

Johnson got infected when the outbreak was relatively new. There was lots of misunderstandings about it, a many still didn't realise the extent or the danger.

Trump is infected 9 months after it started and a good 7 months since it seriously impacted the US. If 205k+ deaths. massive economic hardship etc and lest us not forget that Cain died after contracting it, didn't give Trump an insight then I doubt this will.

At best it will make him think that he is very unlucky and it must be someone else's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

wonder what day of the progress of the virus he is on..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

You realise if this isn't a hoax he has a better chance of dying than surviving? He's 74, overweight and almost certainly has some underlying medical issues. It would be incredible for a man of his age and shape not to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,424 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

MadYaker wrote: »
    You realise if this isn't a hoax he has a better chance of dying than surviving? He's 74, overweight and almost certainly has some underlying medical issues. It would be incredible for a man of his age and shape not to.

He's known to take statins (on his medical reports.) So, at a minimum high cholesterol (no surprise, Big Macs and a huge gut). Perhaps heart problems, too, necessitating secretive trips to Walter Reed.

Advertisement