Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

MadYaker wrote: »
    You realise if this isn't a hoax he has a better chance of dying than surviving? He's 74, overweight and almost certainly has some underlying medical issues. It would be incredible for a man of his age and shape not to.

That's rubbish. In the US, the general population's chance of death at 74 with a C19 diagnosis is 3%. Trump then has the advantage of the very best health care that the country can offer - literally no expense will be spared on that. There also is a risk of severe illness (15%), and the risk of both is increased by his health condition, and if I had a loved one of the same age in the same condition and situation I'd be worried, but to say "he has a better chance of dying than surviving" from this is preposterous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

That's rubbish. In the US, the general population's chance of death at 74 with a C19 diagnosis is 3%. Trump then has the advantage of the very best health care that the country can offer - literally no expense will be spared on that. There also is a risk of severe illness (15%), and the risk of both is increased by his health condition, and if I had a loved one of the same age in the same condition and situation I'd be worried, but to say "he has a better chance of dying than surviving" from this is preposterous.

Yes it is rubbish, I just looked it up and I was way off. I would have thought it was a lot more than 12 -15% though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

I think he has more of a chance of getting a bad dose, like Boris did, than just a mild temp and a cough for a couple of days.

While the best healthcare in the world is lovely and all, it can't prevent the virus from doing whatever it's going to do in his system. I presume he's taking some of the treatment drugs that work well at the early stages of infection, but those mostly reduce mortality rates, they don't make you immune from getting a bad dose.

That said, there's probably just as good a chance that he'll get a mild dose and come out the other side more bullish than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,757 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You realise if this isn't a hoax he has a better chance of dying than surviving? He's 74, overweight and almost certainly has some underlying medical issues. It would be incredible for a man of his age and shape not to.

Yeah I do a high possibility that Pence would have to step in, if the worst came to the worst. However, given the noises about it seems Trump has minor symptoms at the moment. Plus he will have the top doctors looking after him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Plus he will have the top doctors looking after him.

let's hope that's Scott Atlas, Rand Paul and the dishevelled-looking 'personal physician' who declared him the fittest President in the history of ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes it is rubbish, I just looked it up and I was way off. I would have thought it was a lot more than 12 -15% though?

It's less than even that if unknown cases were included.

Seems the ultimate determination is the level of virus breathed in, soo the problem in nursing homes was as much the infection being breathed in all day as much as anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Yeah I do a high possibility that Pence would have to step in, if the worst came to the worst. However, given the noises about it seems Trump has minor symptoms at the moment. Plus he will have the top doctors looking after him.

They said the same about Johnson, he ended up on a ventilator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Let's hope Donnie ends up on a slab.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

davedanon wrote: »

Sure you will as well some day, hopefully it'll be the same day and long in the future.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,161 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

davedanon wrote: »

Threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Trump being taken to Walter Reed hospital "as precaution"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

• Registered Users Posts: 86,369 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Tenzor07 wrote: »

I'd say they are downplaying his symptoms, serious enough to go to hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

No matter what peoples personal opinions on Trump are, he's still a 74yr old man who's clinically obese so he's in the high risk group, his incapacity or death will have serious implications for the United States, if the election isn't held by next January then Nancy Pelosi will take over as President until there's an elected President...
    It will hit the Global stock markets and possibly cause civil unrest and panic in the states...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I am sceptical. The timing is just perfect for this.

Not wishing him any harm at all, but keeping my radar working. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

kenmc wrote: »
    Trump being taken to Walter Reed hospital "as precaution"

Very similar to BoJo. He also taken as a precaution. Trump is very much in the vulnerable category. Clinically obese, poor diet, very little exercise and over 70. Could easily end up in ICU.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Thoughts and prayers with the virus at this difficult time. Wouldnt wish that on anything, no matter how wicked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Oh feck, is this going to ramp up even more hysteria for this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,956 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh feck, is this going to ramp up even more hysteria for this virus.

I think and hope it is a perfectly timed drama in the election cycle. DT cannot lose with this so called news no matter what. But I reckon he will be fine in November. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

All I keep hearing is that the virus will be the only topic for the rest of the election campaign now. I can't wait lol. You would swear the media haven't discussed it before. Help us all if there is no vaccine.

• Advertisement

Interesting stats here, not just around Trump but for all of us to take heed of especially if we have family that age: while 8% risk of death is low as a figure, it’s far higher than I’d like it if I were him

When all his details were entered into the US "19 and Me" coronavirus risk calculator, the president was found to have a 35pc risk of hospitalisation, an 11pc risk of needing intensive care and an 8pc risk of death.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/us-presidential-election-2020/overweight-elderly-and-male-reasons-why-the-virus-poses-a-real-risk-to-us-president-39584100.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so Kellyanne Conway has it, and her daughter said she lied about it told her she tested negative so didn't distance herself from her and then it turns out she tested positive https://twitter.com/GarnerChristina/status/1312212932088872960/photo/1

and now she has it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭threeball

so Kellyanne Conway has it, and her daughter said she lied about it told her she tested negative so didn't distance herself from her and then it turns out she tested positive https://twitter.com/GarnerChristina/status/1312212932088872960/photo/1

She's some piece of work that one. Very similar traits to Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

Was that verified. Bad if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Interesting stats here, not just around Trump but for all of us to take heed of especially if we have family that age: while 8% risk of death is low as a figure, it’s far higher than I’d like it if I were him

When all his details were entered into the US "19 and Me" coronavirus risk calculator, the president was found to have a 35pc risk of hospitalisation, an 11pc risk of needing intensive care and an 8pc risk of death.

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/us-presidential-election-2020/overweight-elderly-and-male-reasons-why-the-virus-poses-a-real-risk-to-us-president-39584100.html

While he is at higher risk than most he must be at a lower risk than the general population. Especially the US General population given his standard of care will be so much higher. If he has been brought in only as a precaution only he is already right there if things start to go south.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

How many doctors does it take to convince a nation?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,369 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Chris Christie says he is positive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,702 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

and now she has it

With George Conway as well that must be a "fascinating" household :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

and now she has it

That's a fake, there is no blue tick account by the quoted name, if her daughter is on twitter its likely this account with the extra y on the end.

https://twitter.com/claudiamconwayy?lang=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Inquitus wrote: »
    That's a fake, there is no blue tick account by the quoted name, if her daughter is on twitter its likely this account with the extra y on the end.

https://twitter.com/claudiamconwayy?lang=en

TikTok I believe is the screenshot you are looking at

Advertisement