Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options
1109110111112113115»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

It's absolutely comic seeing some trying to champion the US approach after they knocked up almost double the per capita cases and deaths we had here in Ireland despite them entirely missing the first wave outside of NY/NJ.

It was only a year ago that they couldn't stop championing lower infection rates than us, what happened there?

It's alsa little creepy how readily they are willing to let their fellow country people die needlessly - that's a 9/11 every day from here up until a few days before Christmas. "Patriots" my hole, but I guarantee you those same people will suddenly "care" an awful lot more about these people if they can use it as an excuse to get boots on the ground in the coming years.

They have helped against it a bit with their vaccination rates improving a lot in 2021 no doubt, but optically the last few years have been amongst the worst in US history, and the disastrous handling of covid and full displays of incredible selfishness from the heights of government right down to Joe Public on the street were emblematic of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think all that I said was that I had an easy pandemic and I was glad I spent it in america, I don't think it was a comment on how great or perfect america is. Some seem to have felt challenged by that somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 actually!

ceadaoin. wrote: »

All in all, the US didn't fare too badly in comparison to other places, despite what people seem to think. Not even in the top 10 in cases or deaths per capita.

I wouldn't describe well over 500000 deaths "didn't fare too badly" https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

• Registered Users Posts: 86,056 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

New York lifts last of Covid restrictions early, as Cuomo announces fireworks tonight in celebration

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

actually! wrote: »
    I wouldn't describe well over 500000 deaths "didn't fare too badly" https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#datatracker-home

600,000 actually....

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0616/1228378-world-covid/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,188 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    New York lifts last of Covid restrictions early, as Cuomo announces fireworks tonight in celebration

Incredible confirmation of the efficacy of vaccines. Not long til we're there ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,180 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The US continues pushing on with the return to normality. I can't see any restrictions ever returning here, where I am is completely back to normal and people like it that way. Even the dreaded Delta variant doesn't seem to be scaring people here like it is in the EU and other places.
    (CNN)President Joe Biden will travel to Traverse City, Michigan, on Saturday as the White House looks to use the July Fourth holiday weekend to mark progress in the fight against Covid-19 after more than a year of the pandemic, according to a White House official.

The White House's theme for the holiday weekend is "America's Back Together," according to the official, and the administration is looking to promote the idea that the country is returning to a pre-pandemic normal. First lady Jill Biden, Vice President Kamala Harris, second gentleman Doug Emhoff and members of Biden's Cabinet will also travel across the country over the holiday weekend.

"The work to vaccinate America and bring us to this moment has been monumental, and the President, vice president, first lady and second gentleman, along with members of the Cabinet, will be fanning out across the country to celebrate our progress in fighting this pandemic and getting our country back to normal," the White House official said.

The trip ahead of a massive celebration the Bidens are hosting at the White House on July Fourth for more than a thousand essential workers and military families on the South Lawn. The celebration will be the largest in-person White House event since Biden took office. The National Mall will also be open for the traditional July Fourth fireworks and crowds are expected to gather.

"We look forward to celebrating with essential workers and military families on the South Lawn of the White House, as well as Americans at events across the country, that America's back together thanks to the Biden administration's whole-of-government pandemic response, the countless essential workers and first responders, and the resiliency of the American people," the White House official told CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

57.4% of the population vaccinated and the delta variant is predicted to become dominant there over the next few weeks, UK is up around 60% and it's causing them a bit of bother but maybe it'll be grand.

Andrew Cuomo announced on Tuesday that he will resign amid allegations of sexual harassment

From hero to zero

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Trump largely made COVID a political issue. He weaponised COVID science for attempted political gains. Ironically part of the reason for his 2020 election defeat may be attributed to this abuse of science. His refusal to mask in public for the first 4 months of COVID was but one example. Unfortunately, there are millions of citizens that refuse to wear masks today.

Watch the motorcycle rally in South Dakota going on this week. Tens of thousands will be attending. Look to see if they mask or socially distance. Looks like another American super spreader event from the news media pictures. The attendees come from all over the USA. Many will take the plague back home with them. And the delta variation will spread faster and more widely thanks to these non-maskers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,792 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The American response has been awful on the whole. Yes, some states have done well and they had it under control but now it’s its back to how it was at the start of the year and it’s completely political.

Trump definitely didn't help the situation but vaccine scepticism was always going to be high there due the less educated population (than most EU countries) and a strong libertarian streak. They've had so many cases and a decent number vaccinated that eventually they'll be like the UK, everyone will have either had the virus or a vaccine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Although there were American antivaxxers before COVID, it would appear that their numbers and voice has greatly increased with the pandemic.

Mass Vaccinations are not new in the USA. For example, there are historic illnesses that have required all Americans to be vaccinated against, with few exceptions. All 50 states require grade school students to have the polio vaccine. The antivaxxers cry about this, but have almost zero traction. Add mandatory vacs for measles and diphtheria in the USA and it makes you wonder what all the fuss is about?

The U.S. is averaging more than 800 newly reported Covid deaths a day, about twice as many as in early August

NY Times

Why is Biden banging on about booster vaccines? The problem they have is that barely half the population have come forward for any vaccine. They need to find a way to get to those people and stop focusing on people who are already vaccinated. I don’t think there’ll be any lockdowns regardless of how many people die, the government don’t care about that and neither do normal Americans until it’s someone they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

One would be inclined to reason it's to protect those who are already done. The hesitant will continue to be a large group in some places so whittling them away slowly alongside boosters seems logical for the US.

Boosters anywhere are illogical until everyone has had a vaccine, the benefits of a booster that's just same vaccine again are miniscule compared to the protection offered by the initial vaccination so that is what they should be focussing on not boosters. This isn't going to be over until everyone on this planet has either had a vaccine or the virus. Obviously a lot of Americans have decided which they'd rather have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Things going pear-shaped in Tennessee due in no small part to the unvaccinated.

The Tennessee Hospital Association told residents in its statement the hospitals in metropolitan areas with full ICUs are the same ones that normally accept transfers from smaller hospitals of the sickest patients.

“This means that if you or a loved one need treatment for any type of serious healthcare problem like a severe injury, heart attack, or stroke, you may not be able to access the care you need, when you need it,” the statement reads.

It cites Tennessee Department of Health data from May and July that found “at least 88% of these COVID hospitalizations and 94% of COVID deaths are among unvaccinated individuals.”

It's daft really. There's a freely available vaccine program which would keep most covid patiants out of the ICU but the stubbornly unvaccinated insist on clogging up the hospitals at the expense of everyone else. So many unnecessary deaths at the hands of these idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I don't disagree at all. I also favour getting it out around the world but where programmes are slow or static, like the US, and probably made up of a good chunk of vaccine hesitant it's pretty unsurprising to see them look to protect those they have done, better.

Caleb Wallace, a Texas man who helped organize the “Freedom Rally” and other prominent protests against pandemic restrictions, has died from COVID-19. He was 30. 

• Advertisement

Podcast host Joe Rogan told his millions of followers Wednesday that he has Covid-19 and used ivermectin, a drug typically used on livestock that health experts have urged the public to avoid.

Rogan, host of the immensely popular Spotify podcast "The Joe Rogan Experience," posted a video to Instagram explaining he tested positive for the coronavirus following his return from a live show Saturday. He said he had “fevers and sweats” and that he “threw the kitchen sink” at the illness.

It's not "typically" used on livestock, it's for humans too and is considered an essential medicine by the WHO. The nih even call it a "wonder drug"

Not saying it works on covid, maybe it does, maybe it doesnt, but this whole thing of trying to portray it as only a drug for animals is stupid. I'm sure he was prescribed the human version and didn't run down to the feed store to grab some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“Ivermectin is used to treat infections in the body that are caused by certain parasites.

Ivermectin is approved for use in humans to treat intestinal strongyloidiasis and onchocerciasis.”

How exactly does it stop a virus?

Some people in the USA are using the animal version.

Thats the problem.

Also

"Beyond its invaluable therapeutic role in onchocerciasis and strongyloidiasis, an increasing body of evidence points to the potential of ivermectin as an antiviral agent."

But yeah ,I agree that people taking the animal version is a problem but I highly doubt Joe Rogan did that. My point is the continual portrayal in news articles as it being solely for animal use. That's misleading

• Registered Users Posts: 16,601 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

that he “threw the kitchen sink” at the illness.

He used bleach, didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,896 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

No need for that, a few pounds of raw minced beef and chicken and you're good to go!</s>

• Registered Users Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

He should not be taking it, but the allegation that's it a mere horse drug is just bullshit.

Rogan is an odd one, his UFC commentary has been dire last few years and a lot of his interviews you couldn't pay me to listen to but in the era where hate clickbait is what drives the media,, the constant obsession regarding him from mainly dying mainstream media publications like CNN is hilarious.

He's became a huge star without having to care about such platforms, can't be cancelled no matter how viral dunks on him go and is clearly having a good time and it boils their piss.

Two Alabama YouTubers who became known for online resale tips and vaccine denialism have both died of COVID-19. Tristan Graham succumbed to the virus three weeks ago in Huntsville, and Dusty Graham died Thursday, according to the GoFundMe page operated by their children. In one of the final videos on their now-deleted channel, “We are ALIVE and still Reselling on eBay,” the couple discussed why they would never get immunized. Dusty said, “I’ve got my own passport.

• Since the end of last year, Mu and R.1 follow Delta (B.1.617.2), Gamma (P.1), Beta (B.1.351) and Alpha (B.1.1.7).
    • While Delta is believed to be the most transmissible strain of COVID-19 so far, Mu "appears more transmissible than the other variants with the exception of Delta," according to Gavin Cloherty, head of Infectious Disease Research for Abbott's diagnostics business.
    • The CDC notes that R.1 "mutations of importance" and "demonstrates evidence of increasing virus transmissibility," according to Prevention.
    • In August, the World Health Organization classified the Mu (B.1.621) variant as a Variant of Interest (VOI). Neither Mu nor R.1 have been designated as a VOI for the U.S. by the CDC at this time.

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/diagnostics-testing/COVID-19-mu-and-r1-variants-what-you-need-to-know.html?CID=DISP_BIE_US_VZ_3854

• Advertisement
Advertisement