Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 cilantro54

Americans are actually just stupid.

:mad: Why is this vile, bigoted nonsense about 'Americans' allowed again and again on boards? It wouldn't be tolerated if it was said about people from other countries.
    I just spend the last 20 mins arguing with a crazy trumper

Spent*

And more fool you.
    I dunno.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

edited

30000 dead now so they've got plenty of headroom for this to be considered a fantastic, tremendous success.

Still not within an ass's roar of it. :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

RasTa wrote: »

"You go to work, why can't I go to work"

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Still not within an ass's roar of it. :):)

40,000 dead then! They're running out of headroom at rate of knots! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

I know he said publicly he's no interest but is there another reason Cuomo hasn't been pushed forward as a POTUS candidate? I know he's not a billionaire but it there more to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

Scotty # wrote: »
    I know he said publicly he's no interest but is there another reason Cuomo hasn't been pushed forward as a POTUS candidate? I know he's not a billionaire but it there more to it?

He's good friends with Biden apparently so that would be stepping on toes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Scotty # wrote: »

What other reason is needed? They can’t force the guy to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭RayCon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

cilantro54 wrote: »
    :mad: Why is this vile, bigoted nonsense about 'Americans' allowed again and again on boards? It wouldn't be tolerated if it was said about people from other countries

It isn't being said about other countries though because the people there aren't stupid enough to protest against something that's in their best interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

RasTa wrote: »

That's so sad to see.

Restrictions are here in Ireland and Europe to slow the spread of the disease. We seem to be tolerating the restrictions reasonably well. America, not so much. Different countries, different systems and all that, I can see why they are not happy with the restrictions because there's fcuk of a social welfare net to help them but still. That's trumps fault right there for not helping them or implementing meaningful measures to help them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

There was something said earlier on TV on the today show, I think it's called. America will be approaching a number of deaths this week from the virus, the same number of deaths that was seen in their military from Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's so sad to see.

Restrictions are here in Ireland and Europe to slow the spread of the disease. We seem to be tolerating the restrictions reasonably well. America, not so much. Different countries, different systems and all that, I can see why they are not happy with the restrictions because there's fcuk of a social welfare net to help them but still. That's trumps fault right there for not helping them or implementing meaningful measures to help them.

I'm in the US and please note it is only a small number of these nutjobs who are protesting their "freedoms". The rest of us are tolerating the restrictions as much as other sane people are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

FatherTed wrote: »
    I'm in the US and please note it is only a small number of these nutjobs who are protesting their "freedoms". The rest of us are tolerating the restrictions as much as other sane people are.

What is this malarky!? All American's aren't alike and all doing/thinking/feeling exactly what the the inflammatory news headlines suggest?! Colour me shocked...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I was watching ABC/CBS news live streams of the WHO Q&A from Geneva earlier. 98%+ blame on the WHO/Bill Gates/Cuomo and calling it a hoax.

The British then jumped in with added anti Irish sentiment against Dr Michael Ryan, questioning the mans credentials because he’s Irish, homophobic comments aimed at Leo Varadkar who doesn’t even work for the WHO and how the EU is falling apart. Americans then started to comment of how we are overrun with n***** Muslims.

Its obvious that these people are breeding with their siblings. won’t be long before the brexiteers will be out with their union jacks on the streets demanding an end to the lockdown.

Are we the only sane people left in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was watching ABC/CBS news live streams of the WHO Q&A from Geneva earlier. 98%+ blame on the WHO/Bill Gates/Cuomo and calling it a hoax.

The British then jumped in with added anti Irish sentiment against Dr Michael Ryan, questioning the mans credentials because he’s Irish, homophobic comments aimed at Leo Varadkar who doesn’t even work for the WHO and how the EU is falling apart. Americans then started to comment of how we are overrun with n***** Muslims.

Its obvious that these people are breeding with their siblings. won’t be long before the brexiteers will be out with their union jacks on the streets demanding an end to the lockdown.

Are we the only sane people left in the world?

That's the internet for you. We can now see the bigots and idiots more clearly. But they're still a minority, as hard as it is to believe at times. They're just very noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

owlbethere wrote: »
    That's so sad to see.

No its their own fault theres no social system. They've voted against it for decades. People with not a pot to p1ss in voting against and deriding anyone that would even suggest it as a communist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

MadYaker wrote: »
    What other reason is needed? They can’t force the guy to run.
    You're right but wouldn't it be unusual for a person to get to state governor status with no aspirations of being president? Perhaps he is only interested in New York? I think he'd make a good POTUS. I don't think Biden would.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,708 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The British then jumped in with added anti Irish sentiment against Dr Michael Ryan, questioning the mans credentials because he’s Irish

When?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Dr Trump knows his stuff, his uncle was a great super genius :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

FVP3 wrote: »
    However online the hatred is unreal.

Because everyone expresses their rational, informed opinions online.

It's not just a sewer of emotion, dominated by criticism, hatred and vitriol

• Registered Users Posts: 16 The Great Gatsby

I just spend the last 20 mins arguing with a crazy trumper about Medtronic. I said i was surprised there wasn't something in the US media about the company the fact they have shared designs etc. And they were to sell emergency compact ventilators to the us etc.

For some reason he thought Ireland wouldn't have the capability to make ventilators.

I dunno.

It's mind boggling that so many people on here make the most sweeping, uninformed, and bigoted statements about the American people: "ALL Americans Are Stupid"; "ALL Americans hate Europeans"; "ALL Americans are Trumptards"; "All Americans are out protesting against Covid-19 Restrictions" . . . Are all people from Louth terrorists because Gerry Adams topped the poll there? . . . Do all Limerick people go around with knifes in their back pockets because the city was [unfairly] stuck with the name "Stab City"? . . . Are all Kerry people bog-trotters and climate change deniers because there are, not one, but two, Healy Raes in the Dail? . . . clearly and obviously none of these sweeping statements are true, but it seems to be OK for some people to make them against Americans . . . by all means criticize Trump, his Government, and HIS supporters, but please don't tar ALL 330 million Americans with the same brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

Unfortunately, that’s the outward image that they’re sending the world at the moment, particularly with Trump in office.

Whether or not he’s actually representative of the more sophisticated aspect of the USA isn’t really the point. He’s the elected executive president and the face of the US in the world and there’s vast array of utterly bonkers political and media output from the US in the same genre.

The reaction to that is because of what the administration does and says. The fact that there’s a pragmatic, nicer side doesn’t really make any difference if it’s not the side of the US that’s being presented to the world.

That’s where the sweeping statements come from and it’s just what will inevitably happen when you’ve such a clown at the helm. It’s almost unprecedented that any serious western democracy has gone that weird.

There’s been a rise and celebration in a big aspect of politics and media of all sorts of anti science, anti intellectualism, jingoism, conspiracy theories, extreme religiosity in the middle of politics, thinly veiled racism, homophobia, bullying, genuinely nasty behaviour and a relationship with the world that’s become ever more narrowly transactional, unpredictable and irrational.

If you don’t want to be represented badly in the world stage, don’t elect people who’ll represent you like that. That’s just the reality of a democratic choice that’s been made and it has serious reputational and soft power consequences. All of was warned and warned about both during the primaries in the GOP and during the campaign.

So either change it, or suck it up. There’s no point in shouting at a mirror when it presents you with an unflattering reflection. That’s just what you look like

Sorry if that doesn’t sit comfortably but that’s the reality of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It's mind boggling that so many people on here make the most sweeping, uninformed, and bigoted statements about the American people: "ALL Americans Are Stupid"; "ALL Americans hate Europeans"; "ALL Americans are Trumptards"; "All Americans are out protesting against Covid-19 Restrictions" . . . Are all people from Louth terrorists because Gerry Adams topped the poll there? . . . Do all Limerick people go around with knifes in their back pockets because the city was [unfairly] stuck with the name "Stab City"? . . . Are all Kerry people bog-trotters and climate change deniers because there are, not one, but two, Healy Raes in the Dail? . . . clearly and obviously none of these sweeping statements are true, but it seems to be OK for some people to make them against Americans . . . by all means criticize Trump, his Government, and HIS supporters, but please don't tar ALL 330 million Americans with the same brush.

Could you post a few quotes of posts saying All Americans are stupid, or any of the other lines you are railing against?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

I think that the world would be better off if he suspended all emigration!

https://www.thejournal.ie/trump-to-suspend-us-immigration-5079568-Apr2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Could you post a few quotes of posts saying All Americans are stupid, or any of the other lines you are railing against?

Well here is one literally saying just that lol

See also
    FVP3 wrote: »
    As I said in another thread

Thats hilarious. The US is at war with about 7 or 8 countries right now, its population is trained to hate the Russians, or China, or Syria, or Libya, or Iran, or Iraq, or Yemen, or Venezuela or any country that stands up to the empire. Not that any of them can find it on a map. They also hate Europeans in general.

Honestly, I don't know any vocal Trump supporters. Well I know a couple of parents from my daughters class are, but they are normal people (or seem like it). I know many who are vehemently against him. All I see all day on CNN is people railing against him. How the **** anyone thinks that the (relatively) few idiot supporters shown on TV are in any way representative of all Americans is beyond me. Think logically.

Anyway, he knows he's ****ed this up big time. Even his own supporters are turning against him. The latest Twitter announcement is a way to appease his hard-core followers. It's pretty much already in place with visa interviews etc being suspended for weeks now but it makes it look like he is doing something and also deflects blame once again. The big tech companies might have something to say about potentially losing a good chunk of their workforces who come here on skilled immigrant visas. And also US citizens who want their spouse and children to move here (just like he did ). This will majorly backfire on him

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Well here is one literally saying just that lol

See also

So none that actually say 'All Americans' then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    So none that actually say 'All Americans' then?

"Americans are actually just stupid" . Come on now, theres only one interpretation of that, the absence of the word "some" makes it clear.

Substitute American in those quotes with any other nationality or ethnicity and it wouldn't be allowed.

• Advertisement

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    "Americans are actually just stupid" . Come on now, theres only one interpretation of that, the absence of the word "some" makes it clear.

Substitute American in those quotes with any other nationality or ethnicity and it wouldn't be allowed.

You specifically stated that people had said All. Americans, the word can mean all or some. You have interpreted it that way, there in never only one interpretation.

I don't disagree with your point about racism but don't make stuff up to try to make it.

Advertisement