Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    "Americans are actually just stupid" . Come on now, theres only one interpretation of that, the absence of the word "some" makes it clear.

Substitute American in those quotes with any other nationality or ethnicity and it wouldn't be allowed.

Check out the British reaction to the covid19 or any Brexitthread and then come back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You specifically stated that people had said All. Americans, the word can mean all or some. You have interpreted it that way, there in never only one interpretation.

I don't disagree with your point about racism but don't make stuff up to try to make it.

Well it wasn't me who said that originally. I just jumped in, sorry. To me, and probably most people, just saying "Americans are...", or "Irish people are.." or whatever implies all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,615 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Apologies, I did confuse you with the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭threeball

I think the funniest thing about those protesting is that half of them are doomsday prepper type nutters who have spent most of their lives preparing to isolate, away from society. Living off the land and their wits for years if necessary and the gob****es can't hack two weeks in the house without flipping the lid and pulling out the guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

This video that went viral where Bill Maher interivew Dan Crenshaw I believe perfectly highlights whats wrong with the rhetoric surrounding Trump.

It's one of those moments where two people have a conversation and perfectly encapsulates the opposing parties.

Just like Maher, many people in this thread and in the media are constantly personalizing everything. Can we not have a discussion without the loaded questions and presumptions? It's infuriating.

This is a fantastic breakdown of the video that couldn't better make my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,105 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

threeball wrote: »
    Does Anybody Have The Guts to Say This Covid-19 is a Political Ploy? Asking For A Friend. Prove Me Wrong.

I guess he was proved wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

OK,,, let’s put this to rest. there is a portion of the population that are sub-normal (mentally speaking) in the USA. like any country there are idiots, unfortunately, they get a lot of press... let’s not forget Ireland has its morons too.... visit the holiday home for the weekend??? Ring any bells??

Trump and this is a prediction will NOT be elected this time around. He has ****ed up on so many things in this that election IMHO will not come calling (barring Biden dies, or gropes some teenager again)

(Key board not working correctly sorry for the missing capitals and lack of commas)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Dr Burx has a very annoying over the top American accent, it reminds me of the Californian cam girls I have done business with.

2u2me wrote: »
    This video that went viral where Bill Maher interivew Dan Crenshaw I believe perfectly highlights whats wrong with the rhetoric surrounding Trump.

It's one of those moments where two people have a conversation and perfectly encapsulates the opposing parties.

Just like Maher, many people in this thread and in the media are constantly personalizing everything. Can we not have a discussion without the loaded questions and presumptions? It's infuriating.

This is a fantastic breakdown of the video that couldn't better make my point.

Very interesting and makes very good points.

The problem is that it is very much Trump, and the GOP, that have led to this point. McConnell said when Obama was elected that his NO 1 job was to stop him. They vilify the likes of HC, Biden.

Anyone who even raises a question about Trump is seen as a communist, anti-American, left wing whinger. There is no attempt at compromise.

For example, without going into the rights and wrongs about it , Kavanagh onto SCOTUS was clearly about who would win. Same with impeachment. It has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs, just that we have the power and thats all that matters.

And of course Trump is the champion of this. Calling out all media as corrupt, opponents as losers, throwing tantrums.

So whilst I agree with the view of the video, it is hard to try to tell people to take that approach when the politician is standing behind the number 1 proponent of that exact style

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Pray hard and the virus goes away seems to be the understanding of some Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Very interesting and makes very good points.

The problem is that it is very much Trump, and the GOP, that have led to this point. McConnell said when Obama was elected that his NO 1 job was to stop him. They vilify the likes of HC, Biden.

I ask this in all sincerity, have you ever been to the States? Every evening, even now, adverts can be seen by Biden doing this to Trump, paid for by the Democratic pac. Hillary did this also. This is nothing new! This is American politics... and it is a sad way to conduct yourself but that is what happens.

Anyone who even raises a question about Trump is seen as a communist, anti-American, left wing whinger. There is no attempt at compromise.

The same can be said in reverse! I am not in favour of Trump OR Biden. If I say anything for/against I am labelled as either Far Right White Racist supremesist or a snowflake liberal Commie. This happens in Ireland too.

For example, without going into the rights and wrongs about it , Kavanagh onto SCOTUS was clearly about who would win. Same with impeachment. It has nothing to do with the rights and wrongs, just that we have the power and thats all that matters.

That is the same in every democracy world wide. Winning is all that matters, when you get in, you roll back on what you said... e.g. Enda and every politician World Wide.
    And of course Trump is the champion of this. Calling out all media as corrupt, opponents as losers, throwing tantrums.

Will never ever defend Trumps behaviour, but I do agree that media is untrust worthy anymore, not just in the States (where there is no trust worthy news anymore) but also in most countries internationally.
    So whilst I agree with the view of the video, it is hard to try to tell people to take that approach when the politician is standing behind the number 1 proponent of that exact style

The art of debate is lost unfortunately, there is too much spin, there are too many false narratives being used nowadays and certainly too many generlisations and “offense” being invoked.

Anyone can learn anything if the individual opens up to learning. I watch many programs, I learn from everything do I believe everything that is being fed from each of these programs? Absolutely not. I will look at CNN, I will look at FOX, I will look at CNBC and ABC I will try to understand where each report is coming from and take it at face value, but all the time understand that “I” am the person who has to think about what is being fed to me. That is the problem IMHO. Many people nowadays simply believe what they want to believe and dont listen to others to expand and understand the other sides point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

"What do you have to lose?" said dotard and his clapping seals.

https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2

Your life apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Billy Mays wrote: »
    "What do you have to lose?" said dotard and his clapping seals.

https://apnews.com/a5077c7227b8eb8b0dc23423c0bbe2b2

Your life apparently

Do you see in that study what dose those patients were given?

I've read it and can't see the amount of HCQ and Azithromycin they received and for how long.

NSAman wrote: »
    OK,,, let’s put this to rest. there is a portion of the population that are sub-normal (mentally speaking) in the USA. like any country there are idiots, unfortunately, they get a lot of press... let’s not forget Ireland has its morons too.... visit the holiday home for the weekend??? Ring any bells??

Trump and this is a prediction will NOT be elected this time around. He has ****ed up on so many things in this that election IMHO will not come calling (barring Biden dies, or gropes some teenager again)

(Key board not working correctly sorry for the missing capitals and lack of commas)

We have some harmless simpletons. Nothing even remotely close to what you have in the states. The closest of you'll get Ireland generally live in cities and have questionable mental health like Gemma O Doherty.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Do you see in that study what dose those patients were given?

I've read it and can't see the amount of HCQ and Azithromycin they received and for how long.

Okay, so now you're proposing medical experts don't know how to test drugs? Even if they gave such specifics, you could literally make no conclusion based on that info.

Dr Burx has a very annoying over the top American accent, it reminds me of the Californian cam girls I have done business with.

Probably from all the time she spent tonguing Trumps ballsack. "Thhankk you Mr Prresidennt"

Okay, so now you're proposing medical experts don't know how to test drugs? Even if they gave such specifics, you could literally make no conclusion based on that info.

Plus it comes on the heels of a french study showing exactly the same thing.

Probably from all the time she spent tonguing Trumps ballsack. "Thhankk you Mr Prresidennt"

Deborah Birx is highly regarded for her work over the decades. So these sorts of remarks are incredibly misogynistic and nasty. The like of Fauci and Birx are basically some of the few members of administration that have a real grasp on how serious the situation is.

Deborah Birx is highly regarded for her work over the decades. So these sorts of remarks are incredibly misogynistic and nasty. The like of Fauci and Birx are basically some of the few members of administration that have a real grasp on how serious the situation is.

She spends half her time on the stage fawning over Trump. Fauci gets on with the business and doesn't have to spend 3 or 4 minutes massaging Trumps ego.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

No I'm saying one of the previous studies from Brazil gave 6 times the recommended dose.
    It's exceptionally unusual that there's no dose listed on this study that I could see.

Do you think medication doses make no difference to a study?

And it's a retrospective study. Not saying it's useless but have to wait for the RCT's to come out before making any firm judgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

You cant shoot a virus, it must be so annoying for them.

You cant shoot a virus, it must be so annoying for them.

Tbf, the vast, vast majority of those that advocate gun freedom, and those on those protests, never shoot anything more than deer and beer bottles.

It's all a load of machismo nonsense. Playing soldiers.

Walking around with their combat fatigues and machine guns, acting all big and mighty.

Yet they struggle to cope with a few weeks of lockdown.

"I can't do to work". Look at what real soldiers have to go through, look at what people in Syria and Iraq and such places have to deal with.

And people think these people will protect the country from a tyrannical government? Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Why do the minority of protesters feel that they shouldnt be getting unemployment assistance when they paid into it?

They want to go back to work ignoring the global pandemic.

Americas Shame is what I call those protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

record number of deaths for the US today with 2715. Figures were lower over the weekend so it might just be reporting catching up. Still annoying as I had hoped they would just get lucky in spite of Trump but there seems to be no let off for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,105 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Georgia's Governor about to play high stakes poker with a bluff hand.

But at least the tattoo parlours will be back open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭Christy42

Missouri to join blame game by sueing China in a US court. Sovereign nations have immunity there, mostly because they could ignore any rulings so it will get thrown out immediately.

However I can't think of a better time to focus time and effort on a political stunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Christy42 wrote: »
    Missouri to join blame game by sueing China in a US court. Sovereign nations have immunity there, mostly because they could ignore any rulings so it will get thrown out immediately.

However I can't think of a better time to focus time and effort on a political stunt.

If they win maybe the native Americans can use the same legislation to seek compensation, and when they are done the Africans that were trafficked over as slaves can take what’s left.

Then the Vietnamese Who have suffered the effects of agent orange can get a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

She spends half her time on the stage fawning over Trump. Fauci gets on with the business and doesn't have to spend 3 or 4 minutes massaging Trumps ego.
    Trump has a massive and delicate ego. I suspect to get any sort of time or response from him requires arse licking. he wants yes men and women. Add in the respect for the office of president itself in many, if not most Americans have and you'll get some level of fawning. The respect for that office is way more than we'd have for our Taoiseach for example.

All the infighting over there is genuinely sad to watch and shows how much America has slid. Not so long ago events like 9/11 united the country even though it "only" hit a couple of places directly and killed far fewer than this virus had up to now. America has been divided before, along race and financial lines, and attacked before, but overall there was a self confidence. Not so much now. You can't on the one hand claim the "best healthcare on earth" when its inadequacies and inequalities are laid so bare every day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement