Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What I don't get, sorry one thing I don't get, is that many of them are calling it a hoax, tyranny etc, yet at the same time calling Trump a hero.

But he is the POTUS, so he is the very one they are saying is the tyrannical one in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

If Covid-19 is a hoax though, Trump has been clearly brainwashed for weeks by the CCP, the EU and Venezuela and needs to go! One of us, one of us!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

J. Marston wrote: »

Mental illness is off the charts in America. Entire families of fruitcakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

threeball wrote: »
    Mental illness is off the charts in America. Entire families of fruitcakes.

I don't even think it's mental illness just low IQ and poor education. Dangerous combination, even more so when it's fuelled by idiots like Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's years of silo mentality, they are the embodiment of a type of person who hasn't looked beyond the front gate during thier entire lifetime. So they are easily fed a diet of nonsense. That interviewer only has to give them a means to express themselves and they do the rest like a throwing a stick for the dog. They are a minority but right now a potentially very dangerous one.

• Advertisement

I don't even think it's mental illness just low IQ and poor education. Dangerous combination, even more so when it's fuelled by idiots like Trump.

Yer man wanting people to cough and him and the bird who somehow considered herself Irish were definitely somewhere in the mentally ill bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

It's years of silo mentality, they are the embodiment of a type of person who hasn't looked beyond the front gate during thier entire lifetime. So they are easily fed a diet of nonsense. That interviewer only has to give them a means to express themselves and they do the rest like a throwing a stick for the dog. They are a minority but right now a potentially very dangerous one.

I saw a stat a few years ago that only 8% of Americans had a passport. Yet they all have an opinion on the rest of the world when in fact they have never met it!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I saw a stat a few years ago that only 8% of Americans had a passport. Yet they all have an opinion on the rest of the world when in fact they have never met it!

It's up to 42% at the moment. A rise of 15% in recent years.

I dated a girl here (in US) before Christmas, smart, educated, no passport. I was dumbfounded. Her answer, she never felt the need to leave given how big the country is.

There is an element of that which is true, we are somewhat unique in a small country like Ireland which is only about 1/3 the size of Florida.

I dated a girl here (in US) before Christmas, smart, educated, no passport. I was dumbfounded. Her answer, she never felt the need to leave given how big the country is.

There is an element of that which is true, we are somewhat unique in a small country like Ireland which is only about 1/3 the size of Florida.

Yeah found this:

A key driver of the rapid U.S. growth came in 2007 when passports were required for Americans to visit Canada, Mexico, South America, the Caribbean and Bermuda. Previously a passport was not required. The change was a response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks on the United States.

In bold, that is true as you can find a different culture as you tour across America but it is still American culture.
    Did you ask her how many States she had been too? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

That is very true, Americans do NOT travel for the majority of them.

The countless people I have employed here are always amazed that I have traveled so much. Many have never left their own small city. Many vacation at the local mobile home park or local KOA (which may only be 5 miles from their house.. i kid you not). Many have never been to a large city, some have never left the area they were born in.

If you meet an Irish American they say "it is my dream to go to Ireland".... but they never go cause it means leaving the States and Vegas is easier.

Travel broadens the mind... needless to say.... Not too many broad minds where I live.;)

• Advertisement

27676960-8261275-The_president_mistakenly_mixed_up_Nobel_prizes_with_Pulitzers_an-a-3_1587996721771.jpg

27676860-8258973-image-a-2_1587945277294.jpg

27676862-8261275-Trump_continued_to_target_The_New_York_Times_for_a_story_that_su-a-18_1587996237852.jpg

NO WAIT!!!!! I'M NOT STUPID. I WAS BEING SARCASTIC AGAIN!!

27682178-8261275-Several_hours_after_he_posted_the_trio_of_tweets_President_Trump-a-2_1587996721770.jpg

Seriously, your country is approaching 60,000 deaths and all you can do is have childish immature digs at the the "fake news" press. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

NSAman wrote: »
    That is very true, Americans do NOT travel for the majority of them.

The countless people I have employed here are always amazed that I have traveled so much. Many have never left their own small city. Many vacation at the local mobile home park or local KOA (which may only be 5 miles from their house.. i kid you not). Many have never been to a large city, some have never left the area they were born in.

If you meet an Irish American they say "it is my dream to go to Ireland".... but they never go cause it means leaving the States and Vegas is easier.

Travel broadens the mind... needless to say.... Not too many broad minds where I live.;)

Jesus, that is some drivel! Yet MY experience of my many years in America and American colleagues is that they are all well traveled, take their holidays in their home state and afar, and many have been to Ireland and indeed Europe. I get the impression they are always traveling "home" in the states since they moved away from family in the city/town they were reared in. Going to college in another state seems to be the goal for many young high school graduates. Funny, I read a couple posts here on boards of Irish people who don't like to travel, have no interest, are real home birds, etc etc and it was pointed out that these views exist the world over yet American's always get stereotyped. It never fails!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Honestly though, there really is no need for Americans to travel abroad if they don't want to. There's a reason why the US is a top tourist destination. There really is pretty much any activity or scene on offer within the country and huge differences between the states, from landscapes to culture. The people I know do travel a lot, especially to Hawaii and Disneyland. They love Disneyland lol.

Most people do say they want to go to Europe at some stage, especially Ireland but for the average person it's more trip of a lifetime type thing and not something to be done on a regular basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Jesus, that is some drivel! Yet MY experience of my many years in America and American colleagues is that they are all well traveled, take their holidays in their home state and afar, and many have been to Ireland and indeed Europe. I get the impression they are always traveling "home" in the states since they moved away from family in the city/town they were reared in. Going to college in another state seems to be the goal for many young high school graduates. Funny, I read a couple posts here on boards of Irish people who don't like to travel, have no interest, are real home birds, etc etc and it was pointed out that these views exist the world over yet American's always get stereotyped. It never fails!

You obviously don't live where I live.

I can honestly say, by FAR the majority of people in my area have not been outside the States and in many cases outside of their state!!!

It is not drivel it is FACT.

Go to the larger cities and that changes. Where I am, I am simply reporting my experiences of the people I meet here. If I go to Chicago, New York, LA or any major metropolitan Area then yes it changes.

Your experience is different to mine. I can only report and the experience of the people around me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

MSM in the States not so bothered when it's liberal states flouting the rules:

https://twitter.com/ABC7/status/1253873166499250177

You've really shot yourself in the balls with that one. That's Orange County California, solidly Republican. But don't let that shake your faith in the Trumpet. Keep drinking the Dettol. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

feargale wrote: »
    You've really shot yourself in the balls with that one. That's Orange County California, solidly Republican. But don't let that shake your faith in the Trumpet. Keep drinking the Dettol. :rolleyes:

He did say state...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

NSAman wrote: »
    You obviously don't live where I live.

I can honestly say, by FAR the majority of people in my area have not been outside the States and in many cases outside of their state!!!

It is not drivel it is FACT.

Go to the larger cities and that changes. Where I am, I am simply reporting my experiences of the people I meet here. If I go to Chicago, New York, LA or any major metropolitan Area then yes it changes.

Your experience is different to mine. I can only report and the experience of the people around me.

Then don't say this:
    "That is very true, Americans do NOT travel for the majority of them."

The fact actually is, is that America is a huge, massive place with loads of different types of people and subcultures. You can actually travel to different places in the US and almost feel as if you're in another country. Large cities are different to towns or rural dwellers. Sounds like that's where you are, so your experience is going to be vastly different to mine - but I am well aware that lumping 330 million people in over 51 states which in total is the size of Europe, into one stereotype just isn't on. Yes, you can only report the experience of the people around you.

I'm also aware of the economic situation of many. For one of the wealthiest countries in the world, it's people are often struggling to live. The vast majority live pay check to pay check and would find it difficult to cope with a sudden 400 quid emergency or bill. Since the US is so big and quite a distance from Europe, it would simply be too costly to extensively travel there for most. Mexico/Cancun, and Central/South America are popular choices, and many have family roots there too. Someone earlier in the post tried to say 8% of Americans have passports. Try 42%. I read somewhere (the Journal?) 20% of Ireland's tourists come from N.America. I also read that a large portion of Irish passports are held by those abroad-some being Irish Americans. Also it's easier for Irish to travel being next door to other European countries with budget airlines (or at least there were budget airlines!). I know that in the US they have no federal standard or law for their vacation time/pay, whereas here in Ireland we enjoy a full 4 weeks brought in by EU law. In the states you have to get lucky in an employer and often work for them for years before even building up to the 2 weeks paid vacation time that would allow for a far flung European vacation.
    Edited to add that there is also no federal standard/law for sick pay or parental leave, so many end up using their holiday time for when they become sick or don't have childcare (for when their children are sick).
    Obviously there are many issues at play with the US in regards to travel other than the usual "they're dumb and ignorant" played out stereotype.

Stateofyou wrote: »
    Then don't say this:
    "That is very true, Americans do NOT travel for the majority of them."

The fact actually is, is that America is a huge, massive place with loads of different types of people and subcultures. You can actually travel to different places in the US and almost feel as if you're in another country. Large cities are different to towns or rural dwellers. Sounds like that's where you are, so your experience is going to be vastly different to mine - but I am well aware that lumping 330 million people in over 51 states which in total is the size of Europe, into one stereotype just isn't on. Yes, you can only report the experience of the people around you.

I'm also aware of the economic situation of many. For one of the wealthiest countries in the world, it's people are often struggling to live. The vast majority live pay check to pay check and would find it difficult to cope with a sudden 400 quid emergency or bill. Since the US is so big and quite a distance from Europe, it would simply be too costly to extensively travel there for most. Mexico/Cancun, and Central/South America are popular choices, and many have family roots there too. Someone earlier in the post tried to say 8% of Americans have passports. Try 42%. I read somewhere (the Journal?) 20% of Ireland's tourists come from N.America. I also read that a large portion of Irish passports are held by those abroad-some being Irish Americans. Also it's easier for Irish to travel being next door to other European countries with budget airlines (or at least there were budget airlines!). I know that in the US they have no federal standard or law for their vacation time/pay, whereas here in Ireland we enjoy a full 4 weeks brought in by EU law. In the states you have to get lucky in an employer and often work for them for years before even building up to the 2 weeks paid vacation time that would allow for a far flung European vacation.
    Edited to add that there is also no federal standard/law for sick pay or parental leave, so many end up using their holiday time for when they become sick or don't have childcare (for when their children are sick).
    Obviously there are many issues at play with the US in regards to travel other than the usual "they're dumb and ignorant" played out stereotype.

I said I read a stat years ago that this was the case. I got corrected on it and found where it changed after 9/11 when passports were required to travel to Canada, Mexico and other central American countries.

The way they work with no social protection, sick leave or paid holiday leave is the down side of the American dream where if you work hard enough, non stop, you too can become rich.

Americans obviously don't want this system changed or they would be voting in a political party that would give it to them.

The point of Americans not travelling outside of America is not so much that they don't travel but that they give their opinions or take actions on the rest of the world that they have had no real interaction with.

I worked in New Jersey with a guy who didn't know where the Dominican Republic was.
    I said fair enough I asked him did he know where Cuba was to give him a reference.
    He didn't know where Cuba was.
    I said okay.
    I asked him did he know where Florida was to give him a reference to Cuba. He didn't know where Florida was.

But he was quick to tell me about them Iraqis over there. One guy doesn't make a country but he does epitomize the typical Trump supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

I said I read a stat years ago that this was the case. I got corrected on it and found where it changed after 9/11 when passports were required to travel to Canada, Mexico and other central American countries.

The way they work with no social protection, sick leave or paid holiday leave is the down side of the American dream where if you work hard enough, non stop, you too can become rich.

Americans obviously don't want this system changed or they would be voting in a political party that would give it to them.

The point of Americans not travelling outside of America is not so much that they don't travel but that they give their opinions or take actions on the rest of the world that they have had no real interaction with.

I worked in New Jersey with a guy who didn't know where the Dominican Republic was.
    I said fair enough I asked him did he know where Cuba was to give him a reference.
    I said okay.
    I asked him did he know where Florida was to give him a reference to Cuba. He didn't know where Florida was.

But he was quick to tell me about them Iraqis over there. One guy doesn't make a country but he does epitomize the typical Trump supporter.

There's a fair chance you'll get that type of ignorance over here too, in fact I'd say more than just a fair chance. Just like the last line of your comment.

I said okay.

There are some who are very much the MAGA hat wearing stereotype.

But, there are a lot, and definitely the reason why he won the election who are coming more from an 'anti-government' place.

They hate the idea of federal intrusion on their lives.

I disagree with them because I think the human race is made up of society's where our actions influence the lives of those around us and the more segregated it is, then the more divergence there is in standards and quality and safety.
    More divergence leads to more exploitation and pollution etc so, I think rather than trying to disband government, we need more participation so communities feel represented. But, I can understand where they are coming from. Part of the psyche at this point is fueled by the rhetoric in the US, 'Land of the Free' etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

“God created war so that Americans would learn geography.” ― Mark Twain

27765870-0-image-a-19_1588103752035.jpg

Hmmmmmmm :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

maybe Pence wants to get it on purpose, gives him a valid excuse to stay away from Trump

Trump convinced this has "gone away" but may "come back in a modified form" in the fall. Don't pay any heed to the 25000 new cases a day and 2500 deaths. With the protests and reopening of States i think they will probably end up at the 250k dead originally predicted when election time rolls round.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Trump convinced this has "gone away" but may "come back in a modified form" in the fall. Don't pay any heed to the 25000 new cases a day and 2500 deaths. With the protests and reopening of States i think they will probably end up at the 250k dead originally predicted when election time rolls round.

A second wave once restrictions are lifted is inevitable. No different here. Might even coincide with the yearly flu hospital overcrowding. Fighting both at the same time would be an impossible feat. How do you figure out who has what? Everyone with the flu will be under suspicion of having Covid19. Do they isolate again? Will there be another shut down? Pay to take over the private hospitals again? A second wave during the winter flu outbreak would be a catastrophe

Trump convinced this has "gone away" but may "come back in a modified form" in the fall. Don't pay any heed to the 25000 new cases a day and 2500 deaths. With the protests and reopening of States i think they will probably end up at the 250k originally predicted when election time rolls round.

Saw on CNN earlier that they are predicting a death toll of 74k by August.
    One model cited by the White House coronavirus task force has upped its predicted death toll, projecting 74,000 people in the country will lose their lives to the virus by August. That is almost 7,000 more deaths than a model last week.

The death toll per day for April, was just under 2K......... It would have to fall to approx 160 per day for the summer to max out at 74K.

No chance.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    A second wave once restrictions are lifted is inevitable. No different here. Might even coincide with the yearly flu hospital overcrowding. Fighting both at the same time would be an impossible feat. How do you figure out who has what? Everyone with the flu will be under suspicion of having Covid19. Do they isolate again? Will there be another shut down? Pay to take over the private hospitals again? A second wave during the winter flu outbreak would be a catastrophe

There won't be a second wave because the first wave won't have stopped. The lockdown of the last month is all for nothing as there are many States going back to normal day to day and others where social distancing is still in force but ignored. I guarantee you see it take off again over the next month. 2500 deaths per day and they'll surpass the 60k they predicted this week. I don't see them getting below 1000 deaths a day by August. Even if it happened tomorrow that would still leave them with another 95k dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

The whole world is laughing at Trump.

Trump is like a parody, its as if a puppet in spilting image has come to life and is sitting in the Oval Office.

The damage he has caused and will cause will be his legacy, history will not paint Trump in a kind light.

I'd like to think he won't sit a second term, but I'll not be surprised if he does.

His stupidity has and will continue to cost American lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

250k might be optimistic with the clown they have in charge and those who will follow him. There's far from any guarantee of it going down with the walking, talking liabilities they have among them.

2,500 x 195 days to Nov 10 = 487,500.

487,500 + 59,000 already dead = 546,500.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

That was a silly comment Andrew Cuomo made about the PhD doctors not being real doctors. My sister has a PhD and she said that the medical doctors aren't technically real doctors given that they don't have a doctorate of philosophy. The Cuomo brothers are very smug men, his brother was recorded abusing a biker.

Advertisement