Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

That was a silly comment Andrew Cuomo made about the PhD doctors not being real doctors. My sister has a PhD and she said that the medical doctors aren't technically real doctors given that they don't have a doctorate of philosophy. The Cuomo brothers are very smug men, his brother was recorded abusing a biker.

I'm having flashbacks to Ross from friends!

You know what he meant, A doctor in everyday societal terms is a medical doctor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

dogbert27 wrote: »
    I saw a stat a few years ago that only 8% of Americans had a passport. Yet they all have an opinion on the rest of the world when in fact they have never met it!

I saw a stat today on the State Dept Website (You know, the guys who issue the passports) that in fiscal year 2019 there were 146,775,089 US Passports in circulation. Most people only have one passport (Multiple is possible for those who really need it). With a US population of 328mn, that's about 45%. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/about-us/reports-and-statistics.html

It is certainly true that it is far below the 76% or so of people in Great Britain who have one, but if you want to go snowmobiling in the arctic or lounging in the tropics in Great Britain, you need a passport. I can't find Irish 'in circulation' numbers.

On the other hand, if you're French and you have a passport, you're apparently one of about only 40% who do. Then again, you can go skiing or beach-lounging without a passport from France as well.

Info is a few years old, but interesting. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2802855/The-world-s-travelled-nations-revealed-Finns-Americans-holiday-7-5-times-year-Brits-three-trips.html

Scandinavia is the world's most well-travelled region, according to a new study, with Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway all in the top five countries.

The average Finn takes 7.5 trips a year, topping the list compiled by Trimetic. The United States, coming in second, is the only non-Nordic country in the top five, with Americans travelling an average of 6.7 times per year.

Finland and the US are followed by Sweden (average six trips per year), Denmark (5.3), and Norway (5.2).

In other words, we're very happy to leave home in the US. Just a lot of the trips aren't international. We might just be going to Hawaii. Or New York. Or Wyoming...

Now, can we get back on topic?

On the matter of 'deaths to make the estimate', recent article in San Jose's (Silicon Valley)'s local paper that the models being used by the State government (even after lockdown) are far more dramatic than the reality is proving. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/27/coronavirus-how-can-the-states-model-project-possibly-thousands-of-deaths-in-bay-area-by-june/?fbclid=IwAR0qVyvREaWOHToW9ZVImzvjvcivG2OZPKJUUH8M7QosvVGaGTmOGkJpoao

The model projected statewide deaths by June would range from 2,521 at the low end to 39,713 at the high end. There were 1,529 COVID-19 deaths statewide as of Friday, in a week that saw the state’s biggest single-day jump.

California would have to see a 65% increase in deaths by June to reach even that low-end projection.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

I saw a stat today on the State Dept Website (You know, the guys who issue the passports) that in fiscal year 2019 there were 146,775,089 US Passports in circulation. Most people only have one passport (Multiple is possible for those who really need it). With a US population of 328mn, that's about 45%. https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/about-us/reports-and-statistics.html

It is certainly true that it is far below the 76% or so of people in Great Britain who have one, but if you want to go snowmobiling in the arctic or lounging in the tropics in Great Britain, you need a passport. I can't find Irish 'in circulation' numbers.

On the other hand, if you're French and you have a passport, you're apparently one of about only 40% who do. Then again, you can go skiing or beach-lounging without a passport from France as well.

Info is a few years old, but interesting. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/travel_news/article-2802855/The-world-s-travelled-nations-revealed-Finns-Americans-holiday-7-5-times-year-Brits-three-trips.html

Scandinavia is the world's most well-travelled region, according to a new study, with Finland, Sweden, Denmark and Norway all in the top five countries.

The average Finn takes 7.5 trips a year, topping the list compiled by Trimetic. The United States, coming in second, is the only non-Nordic country in the top five, with Americans travelling an average of 6.7 times per year.

Finland and the US are followed by Sweden (average six trips per year), Denmark (5.3), and Norway (5.2).

In other words, we're very happy to leave home in the US. Just a lot of the trips aren't international. We might just be going to Hawaii. Or New York. Or Wyoming...

Now, can we get back on topic?

On the matter of 'deaths to make the estimate', recent article in San Jose's (Silicon Valley)'s local paper that the models being used by the State government (even after lockdown) are far more dramatic than the reality is proving. https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/04/27/coronavirus-how-can-the-states-model-project-possibly-thousands-of-deaths-in-bay-area-by-june/?fbclid=IwAR0qVyvREaWOHToW9ZVImzvjvcivG2OZPKJUUH8M7QosvVGaGTmOGkJpoao

The model projected statewide deaths by June would range from 2,521 at the low end to 39,713 at the high end. There were 1,529 COVID-19 deaths statewide as of Friday, in a week that saw the state’s biggest single-day jump.

California would have to see a 65% increase in deaths by June to reach even that low-end projection.

:confused:

We had moved on. I acknowledged 2 days ago that the figure I gave was incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Saw on CNN earlier that they are predicting a death toll of 74k by August.

The death toll per day for April, was just under 2K......... It would have to fall to approx 160 per day for the summer to max out at 74K.

No chance.

Weren't the majority of those deaths in New York though? Now that NYC is coming out the other side, along with most other places, I'd expect deaths to continue to drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Weren't the majority of those deaths in New York though? Now that NYC is coming out the other side, along with most other places, I'd expect deaths to continue to drop.

Theres only 19m in new york out of 328m. If the other states continue the policies they are pursuing and large groups keep flouting social distancing the infection numbers will increase. Increases in numbers mean increases in deaths. Many of the places reopening have inferior healthcare and very high obesity rates especially some of the southern states. If people think Its all about New York they're badly mistaken. I think the summer weather and the potential of airlines reopening will see this thing take off faster than a Californian wild fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That was a silly comment Andrew Cuomo made about the PhD doctors not being real doctors. My sister has a PhD and she said that the medical doctors aren't technically real doctors given that they don't have a doctorate of philosophy. The Cuomo brothers are very smug men, his brother was recorded abusing a biker.

I'm not sure Cuomo is the one that sounds like the smug one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ceadaoin. wrote: »

It could start to drop, but considering how tightly-packed every is in the city it could start to rise again after lockdown measures are lifted and people start getting more complacent again, even if it's a few months down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

I guess that many of you were not born when the Vietnam war was going on, so this may mean little to you.

I think it is astonishing

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=847629575

NPR.org, April 29, 2020 ·

More Americans have now died from coronavirus in less than two months than in the entire nine years of the Vietnam war — more than 58,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

0lddog wrote: »
    I guess that many of you were not born when the Vietnam war was going on, so this may mean little to you.

I think it is astonishing

https://text.npr.org/s.php?sId=847629575

NPR.org, April 29, 2020 ·

More Americans have now died from coronavirus in less than two months than in the entire nine years of the Vietnam war — more than 58,000.

Agree with the sentiment of your post but the Vietnam war lasted much longer than 9 years

30+ if you factor in from when the OSS(CIA forerunner) got involved.

Off topic but you might be interested in Ken Burns Vietnam Documentary and a book by Christian Appy on the War.

The numbers are shocking but after awhile people become desensitised to numbers. What does bring deaths home is when pictures are displayed instead of the numbers.

Think of when a plane cradh happens and the faces are shown on newspapers. It's too grn that hhr scale of the disaster hits.

Ireland's numbers are shocking too but until you see the faces of hear the stories of the people who are gone it's just watching increments in numbers. It's hard to grasp the scale of this disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Yes of course, but wasnt it a French war for most of the 30 years :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The USA intensive farming and processing industries are starting to creak a little with mass slaughtering of livestock due to closed slaughterhouses. Probably a recoverable situation but a hint of what could happen (and not just there).

from guardian blog
    Covid-related slaughterhouse shutdowns in the US are leading to fears of meat shortages and price rises, while farmers are being forced to consider “depopulating” their animals, reports Sophie Kevany for the Guardian’s Animals Farmed project.

More than 20 slaughterhouses have been forced to close, although some have subsequently reopened. On Tuesday President Trump issued an executive order to keep slaughterhouses open which would, he said, help solve liability problems for meat companies.

At least two million animals have already reportedly been culled on farm, and that number is expected to rise. Approved methods for slaughtering poultry include slow suffocation by covering them with foam, or by shutting off the ventilation into the barns.

A nationwide advisory issued last Friday by the US Department of Agriculture and the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service said state veterinarians and government officials would be ready to assist with culls, or “depopulation”, if alternatives could not be found.

https://thecounter.org/mapping-covid-19-related-slaughterhouse-closures-coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Just watching news where Mike Pence visiting a hospital, refused to comply with hospital rules to wear a facemask.
    This is just shocking, I can't think of a single world leader that behave like that.
    Petulant arsehole, totally unfit for office. Leaders lead, they lead by example.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yeah, it send the toally wrong signal. He attempted to explain it by saying he was routinely tested and therefore he was fine, which of course means that everyone else should stick to the rules to protect him but he doesn't have to worry.

But even without that, it diminishes the message that people are trying to get out, about social distancing and facemasks. You will have plenty of people look at that and say similar. "Well I don't have it so I don't need to bother". Thats works for one person, but when too many people do it it makes the problem worse.

One can only assume he did it for some reason, he said he wanted to look people in the eye!!! but again it is always the easy option they take rather than the right one.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yeah, it send the toally wrong signal. He attempted to explain it by saying he was routinely tested and therefore he was fine, which of course means that everyone else should stick to the rules to protect him but he doesn't have to worry.

But even without that, it diminishes the message that people are trying to get out, about social distancing and facemasks. You will have plenty of people look at that and say similar. "Well I don't have it so I don't need to bother". Thats works for one person, but when too many people do it it makes the problem worse.

One can only assume he did it for some reason, he said he wanted to look people in the eye!!! but again it is always the easy option they take rather than the right one.

He did it because he wanted to push the reopen agenda without coming out and saying it. Hes as big a bollox as trump just a bit sneakier. Its a silent thumbs up to all these MAGA idiots to go do their thing.

The USA intensive farming and processing industries are starting to creak a little with mass slaughtering of livestock due to closed slaughterhouses. Probably a recoverable situation but a hint of what could happen (and not just there).

from guardian blog

https://thecounter.org/mapping-covid-19-related-slaughterhouse-closures-coronavirus/

Everything about the US is on a knife edge, from your health, to your job, to your food supply. Its all just one step away from disaster. Its what happens when you invest trillions in war to enrich a minority and nothing in your citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Have the federal government announced any supports for people with no health insurance? There was about 9 or 10 million of them before this started and now millions more are losing their jobs and associated healthcare. It’s going to be a huge problem in a few months when the bills start arriving. Tens of billions in bailout for corporations but nothing for citizens?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Leroy42 wrote: »

Saw a video on twitter of his cavalcade arriving at the hospital. Bullet Proof SUV's, secret service detail, police outriders, all to keep him safe.
    And then no mask.

'Murica.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Saw a video on twitter of his cavalcade arriving at the hospital. Bullet Proof SUV's, secret service detail, police outriders, all to keep him safe.
    And then no mask.

'Murica.

The mask isn't tough enough looking I guess. Maybe some kind of gun shaped masked would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭stockshares

0lddog wrote: »
    Yes of course, but wasnt it a French war for most of the 30 years :(

Correct but the OSS had lot of influence due to the end of WW2 and the desire to stop the spread of Communism and weaken USSR. Remember at that time the Allies and USSR shared Berlin and they needed to keep the French onside so they let them back into Vietnam.

The crowd around Trump knew these comparisons with Vietnam deaths would be made eventually.

That's why they needed the 2 million deaths number to show Trump in a good light. They could then say "Look whst would have happened if Trump hadn't intervened."Their Spin on it is that regardless of how bad it gets it never got to 2 million so Trump is a saviour. The same man thought it would only be 15 cases at one stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

joe40 wrote: »
    Just watching news where Mike Pence visiting a hospital, refused to comply with hospital rules to wear a facemask.
    This is just shocking, I can't think of a single world leader that behave like that..

Oh I can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Xertz wrote: »
    Oh I can!

In the current climate ffs.

No one in that clip is wearing a mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

In the current climate ffs.

No one in that clip is wearing a mask.

Its years old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Xertz

If only the US hospital had reacted similarly and threw him out.

Seems, when it comes to presidents and office holders, Americans seem to just have no backbone. It turns to polite fawning, even if through gritted teeth.

It reminds me of the British reaction to aristocracy or the Irish attitude in the past to the church. All sorts of crazy was overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,169 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

1 million+ cases. 60,000+ dead. A great success story.

https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/1255494609226141698

J. Marston wrote: »
    1 million+ cases. 60,000+ dead. A great success story.

https://twitter.com/IanSams/status/1255494609226141698

If they have any balls the next administration should go after Trump and his fcuk wit advisors and make them accountable for everything they have done. Particularly this prick

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

https://twitter.com/JesseLehrich/status/1255639403982135299

I take it all back, Trump is awesome. Definitely tweeting him for a few mill.Think I'll say I have a cure or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/alanhenney/status/1255751021676113921?s=20
    https://twitter.com/capeannsky/status/1255870203516387333?s=20

So it begins. In the next few weeks no doubt the gun toting rednecks will start targetting more embassies, minorities, abortion clinics, schools, state governors and democrats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

threeball wrote: »
    If they have any balls the next administration should go after Trump and his fcuk wit advisors and make them accountable for everything they have done. Particularly this prick

If you go by population size of a developed western country we are not much better . Who will go after Leo and the simple Simons?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

Blueshoe wrote: »
    If you go by population size of a developed western country we are not much better . Who will go after Leo and the simple Simons?

On the Trump/American response thread? I doubt many. They have certainly had their issues. However I imagine a better metric would numbers by tests done as opposed to population. Also looking at the graphs of any countries you wish to compare.

Of course if you wish to go by population I would take a more similar sized are as a better comparison such as the EU which has done more testing by population and has less total cases than the USA in spite of a bigger population. And the new case numbers for the EU have been dropping to <100k over the last 7 days. The US is over 200k new cases for this same period and looking at todays numbers are not dropping off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

https://twitter.com/alanhenney/status/1255751021676113921?s=20
    https://twitter.com/capeannsky/status/1255870203516387333?s=20

So it begins. In the next few weeks no doubt the gun toting rednecks will start targetting more embassies, minorities, abortion clinics, schools, state governors and democrats.

Already trying to gain entry into the State house in Michigan

https://twitter.com/DanielNewman/status/1255949280814215170?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1255949280814215170&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231255949280814215170

Advertisement