Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

I watched a report on CNN last night that stated the majority of the US government scientists now believe the virus originated in a lab. Didn't say Chinese lab but still interesting none the less.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

I watched a report on CNN last night that stated the majority of the US government scientists now believe the virus originated in a lab. Didn't say Chinese lab but still interesting none the less.

CNN is fake news anyway. Until I see it on RTE lunchtime news I won't believe it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://twitter.com/Dennis_Kosuth/status/1256309653455003648?s=19

Actually felt a little sick after seeing this. So much human garbage there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Very fine people

Utter scum

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Crowd of 3000 protesting beach closures in California and people here claiming it was under control. While the rest of the world goes back to relative normality this will rage in the US for the rest of the year. I just hope we don't bow to pressure to reopen flights with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I doubt she is going to have many Jewish friends after that!

The queues for the food banks is ridiculous. People pulling up in $60k cars that can't afford to buy food. What kind of society promotes the idea that you should buy a $60k car but not have enough money in the bank to buy food if you're laid off for more than two weeks. Even worse when you consider that you can be fired on the spot in the states with very little employment protections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Deaths per million here are a lot worse than the US which is extremely worrying.

Ireland 260.64

United States 198.58

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

threeball wrote: »
    The queues for the food banks is ridiculous. People pulling up in $60k cars that can't afford to buy food. What kind of society promotes the idea that you should buy a $60k car but not have enough money in the bank to buy food if you're laid off for more than two weeks. Even worse when you consider that you can be fired on the spot in the states with very little employment protections.

A majority of those cars are purchased on credit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

A country where the burden of proof means nothing anymore, now we just have school yard gossip bullying and name calling. It's fairly dismal. Even good old fashioned nepotism is alive and well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

17,750,000 visited Europe in 2018. 41 million flew overseas or 12.5% of their population.

That figure indicates that more Americans visited Europe per head than Europeans visited the US. I'm not sure quite where you're going with this. (14.3mn from Western Europe, 1.1mn from Eastern Europe, and populations are 328mn vs 446mn for the EU.

Going Europe to US or vice versa isn't exactly a 3-hour hop on Ryanair to go from Dublin to Rome. I won't even get to New York or California from here in that flight time, it's 13 hours for me to get to Ireland, let alone Rome. Going abroad for a European is one thing, what percentage of European took intercontinental trips would be a far more meaningful comparison.

When you start to look at intercontinental trips, things very much even out between USian and European travel. EU figures for 2017 indicate some 50mn trips outside of Europe for EU residents, 11.2%, whilst US figures show some 38mn trips outside of North America, 11.6%

Basically, beating up on 'non-travelling Americans' is a trope. We're as willing to get onto an airplane and travel as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭NSAman

Or Leased.

The silly thing is that the majority of people are living pay check to pay check.

not to mention a good credit score requires some debt.

Yet, savings for the working poor is a foreign concept.

There is no doubt that Americans are fiscally irresponsible by and large. Yet, there are many families that have everything planned, college fees, savings funds, investments, pensions etc... yet one family health emergency can and does wipe all of that out.

Cities like New York will suffer badly with this virus, bank foreclosures will be huge. If you look on Auction.com (for example) foreclosures are already massive, this is going to be a wave unless something is done. Now with the Rent Strike starting, something will HAVE to give to stop the collapse of prices/homes being repossessed.

In BOOM times the USA is the worlds greatest place to make money, there is no doubt about that. In down markets/recessions those with the cash can make money at the expense of those without.

The one thing you cannot say does not exist (especially in Rural America) is the sense of community. Neighbours helping neighbours is absolutely everywhere here. Someone needs something urgently, it will be shared. People help each other out here, much more than in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Basically, beating up on 'non-travelling Americans' is a trope. We're as willing to get onto an airplane and travel as anyone else.

I think that's obvious to all but the most entrenched idealogues.

So? Still costs money. Someone needs to decide its a good idea to put $600 a month into a car loan than save half it in a bank account and buy a cheaper car.

A country where the burden of proof means nothing anymore, now we just have school yard gossip bullying and name calling. It's fairly dismal. Even good old fashioned nepotism is alive and well.

They've never had any regard for burden of proof. Most people get a trial by media and a prosecutor who is quite happy to bring any amount of info, often lies, to press conferences.

If it happened here it would end up in dismissals but over there a news channel can decide your fate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'll go wherever I want, thank you.

i'll hover between Europe and my tiny gaff in New Hampshire.

And don't get on a loop that you can't get off..."If you don't love America go home! If you don't love America, go home!" I can live where the fcuk I want....The US, Canada, Kenya, Croatia, Tonga, wherever. You see...this is my world. That means I can call America a dump if I want......and it IS a dump. But I do like Lake Sunapee in the Summer.

I didn't say if you don't love America, go home. But if you are angrily ranting against America and americans at every opportunity, I don't get why you want to subject yourself to a place that makes you feel that. But ok.

I don't "love" America. I'm not American and I miss home. But I love the life we are able to have here. For now at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Deaths per million here are a lot worse than the US which is extremely worrying.

Ireland 260.64

United States 198.58

Not really the US had people dying well before the original claimed forst deatg. The number we need to see is their excess deaths for the last 6 months which will show a very different picture to the current reported deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

You need a more nuanced view when comparing America to Ireland. Most American states have had fairly infection rates so far, but New York has been overwhelmed.

To put this another way - if you took the numbers that died in the September 11 attacks and put it on a statistic that said 'U.S. deaths per million from terrorism', it wouldn't look nearly as alarming as what actually happened.

So since there has been this one state that has been absolutely racked so far, I can't call America's handling of the situation better than Ireland's by any stretch, given that Ireland has yet to have its health system swamped beyond capacity in any part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I assume that all those protesters are not going to be voting for Trump at the next election.

It must be galling that the man they thought was going to sort out Washington is actually leading the greatest infringement on their rights of any POTUS ever all on a lie.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

I'll go wherever I want, thank you.

i'll hover between Europe and my tiny gaff in New Hampshire.

And don't get on a loop that you can't get off..."If you don't love America go home! If you don't love America, go home!" I can live where the fcuk I want....The US, Canada, Kenya, Croatia, Tonga, wherever. You see...this is my world. That means I can call America a dump if I want......and it IS a dump. But I do like Lake Sunapee in the Summer.

Jaysus, that's some sense of entitlement there. I'm assuming that unless your visa is approved for a specific reason in those countries, you actually can't live wherever the Fcuk you want. Most (every?) country has places in it that you'd call a dump - that's on you for staying there and wallowing in the miserableness of your world... Suuuure, an entire country the size of Europe is all a dump - absolutely no one is going to that pity party of 1 with you, pal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

briany wrote: »
    You need a more nuanced view when comparing America to Ireland. Most American states have had fairly infection rates so far, but New York has been overwhelmed.

So since there has been this one state that has been absolutely racked so far, I can't call America's handling of the situation better than Ireland's by any stretch, given that Ireland has yet to have its health system swamped beyond capacity in any part of the country.

NY city is one of the most densely populated places on earth with over 27,000 people per square mile.

Ireland is 186 per square mile and Dublin is 11,880.

Much harder to social distance you see.

Dublin 10,277 confirmed cases of population 1.388 million
    =740 cases per 100,000 in a city of 1.388 million

New York City 177K confirmed cases of population 8.4million
    = 2107 cases per 100,000 in a city of 8.4 million

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Your country is exceeding 68,000 deaths and this is the top of your agenda:

27949184-8282155-image-a-1_1588510317945.jpg

27949182-8282155-image-a-2_1588510326903.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Your country is exceeding 68,000 deaths and this is the top of your agenda:

27949184-8282155-image-a-1_1588510317945.jpg

27949182-8282155-image-a-2_1588510326903.jpg

And as if things are not tense enough with the armed idiots trying to gain access to meetings he is back calling the media "the enemy of the people".

Honestly, people will die because of this idiots tweets and yet his biggest fans will be on here defending him.

And as if things are not tense enough with the armed idiots trying to gain access to meetings he is back calling the media "the enemy of the people".

Honestly, people will die because of this idiots tweets and yet his biggest fans will be on here defending him.

When the POTUS can't even spell "by" you know you're on a hiding to nothing.

So what does narcissism look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So what does narcissism look like?

Heres a better one

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=uuvWN_1588395920&p=1

It is unbelievable that people take him seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Nobody knows more about spouting sh!te on a daily basis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,614 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It is unbelievable that people take him seriously

Indeed.

He’s sick!!

Advertisement