Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

dogbert27 wrote: »
    It is unbelievable that people take him seriously

His supporters take him seriously but not literally. His haters take him literally but not seriously.

It's a funny old game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭dogbert27

2u2me wrote: »
    His supporters take him seriously but not literally. His haters take him literally but not seriously.

It's a funny old game.

You've used that before.

Definition:
    literally
    The adverb literally means "actually," and we use it when we want others to know we're serious, not exaggerating or being metaphorical.

I don't take Trump literally or seriously when he declares he knows more about every topic in the world than any one else.

I do take Trump seriously when he ponders injecting humans with disinfectant on the world stage to cure a virus.

I do take Trump seriously when he ponders injecting humans with disinfectant on the world stage to cure a virus.

Why is it that only ones that took him literally there were the ones that knew not to inject bleach into themselves?

Where are the reports of his supporters taking him literally and injecting bleach into themselves?

The fact that you and others choose to take him literally when he was talking about the bleach is more a reflection on you than it is on Trump.

Why is it that only ones that took him literally there were the ones that knew not to inject bleach into themselves?

Where are the reports of his supporters taking him literally and injecting bleach into themselves?

1. The fact that you and others choose to take him literally when he was talking about the bleach 2. is more a reflection on you than it is on Trump.

1. I said I took him seriously, not literally in terms of injecting yourself with bleach. However he did literally ponder on the world stage if it was possible to inject humans with disinfectant.

2. You're attacking the poster instead of the post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

It's been interesting seeing the astroturfed "reopen" protests devolve into terrorism and Nazism so quickly, from storming government buildings armed to the teeth demanding to overturn the law, to gems like this...

4047474564.JPG

Just in case anyone missed it, that means "work sets you free" and was written above the gates of concentration camps like Auschwitz.

And 'JB' is Illinois' Governor, and yes of course he is Jewish.

Just a reminder that these are the people Trump is calling on governors go 'negotiate' with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

You've used that before.

Definition:
    literally
    The adverb literally means "actually," and we use it when we want others to know we're serious, not exaggerating or being metaphorical.

https://www.boston.com/culture/lifestyle/2011/07/19/literally-the-most-misused-word

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

walshb wrote: »
    Indeed.

He’s sick!!

I don't think he is sick. He just knows how to play the game. Make noise that gets attention, right, wrong it does not matter just make noise. I remember watching a Netflix serious about him he copied many of his tactics from former WWF wrestler (turned Governor) Jesse 'the Ace' Ventura.

1. I said I took him seriously, not literally in terms of injecting yourself with bleach. However he did literally ponder on the world stage if it was possible to inject humans with disinfectant.

2. You're attacking the poster instead of the post

In one sentence you deny taking him literally, then in the next sentence prove how you took him literally.

Let me refresh you on what exactly he said:
    trumpclaim.jpg

If I said" I am going to the shop" you can take it as I'm going to the shop.

If I said "Is there a way we can do something like going to the shop" you cannot take it as I'm going to the shop. It means something like ordering online and not going to the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The fact that you and others choose to take him literally when he was talking about the bleach is more a reflection on you than it is on Trump.

I thought he was the man who said it like it is?

Do we take everything he says as sarcastic?

In one sentence you deny taking him literally, then in the next sentence prove how you took him literally.

Let me refresh you on what exactly he said:
    trumpclaim.jpg

If I said" I am going to the shop" you can take it as I'm going to the shop.

If I said "Is there a way we can do something like going to the shop" you cannot take it as I'm going to the shop. It means something like ordering online and not going to the shop.

Well done, like Trump you are choosing to ignore the details of the post.

I said I did not take him literally in terms of injecting yourself with bleach.

Trump did literally ponder it "Is there something we can do something like that, by injecting inside"

See the difference?! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I thought he was the man who said it like it is?

Do we take everything he says as sarcastic?

I'm not defending his response. It was not sarcastic in the slightest. The guy is pompous and arrogant. Doesn't mean we should mis-interpret what he says.
    That only benefits him and we get to have a cheap laugh.

It would require a lot of explaining like I just did to show that he didn't propose people inject themselves with bleach and anyone who chooses to take it as such is contributing to his success.

Trump did literally ponder it "Is there something we can do something like that, by injecting inside"

See the difference?! :rolleyes:

The phrase or something like that refers back to something specific for comparison with an unknown thing or amount.
    You'll need a chair or a ladder or something like that to stand on.
    He wants to eat something sweet, like chocolates or ice cream or something like that.

This thread always descends into bickering over the obsolute bleeding obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

It's been interesting seeing the astroturfed "reopen" protests devolve into terrorism and Nazism so quickly, from storming government buildings armed to the teeth demanding to overturn the law, to gems like this...

4047474564.JPG

Just in case anyone missed it, that means "work sets you free" and was written above the gates of concentration camps like Auschwitz.

And 'JB' is Illinois' Governor, and yes of course he is Jewish.

Just a reminder that these are the people Trump is calling on governors go 'negotiate' with.

This specifically refers to the sign above Auschwitz, the b is inverted just like in the real sign. I'm sure her Jewish "friends" were impressed by her work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

If any one was in any doubt what a complete and utter cnut Trump is this is worth having a read of
    https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/03/donald-trump-reopen-us-economy-lethal-robert-reich

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/sarasscully/status/1256977946889170944?s=21

These are the types most at risk of dying from Covid 19. T2 diabetes which is reversible but they don’t give a s**+

Yew ess a, yew ess a

https://youtu.be/MPr6mCztWs0

New york Times are reporting that internal white house projections are predicting 3000 deaths per day in June. So much for it'll go away with the heat and so much for people here thinking that things are under control and reopening is a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

threeball wrote: »
    New york Times are reporting that internal white house projections are predicting 3000 deaths per day in June. So much for it'll go away with the heat and so much for people here thinking that things are under control and reopening is a good idea

Dettol enemas FTW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just on Guardian live blog
    The influential Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington (IHME), has revised a key piece of coronavirus modeling - almost doubling its prediction of the number of Americans likely to be killed by coronavirus, forecasting at least 134,000 deaths in the US by early August. Previously it had predicted just over 74,000 deaths.

The IHME’s modeling has been cited by the White House coronavirus task force at its once-frequent briefings, which petered out last week.

Christopher Murray, director of the IHME, said the team is gathering data about Americans’ mobility and pointed out that, among other factors influencing the upward trajectory, key data are being studied and processed to “reflect the effect of premature relaxation of social distance, which has a substantial effect”. The university is planning to issue further details, as many states coast to coast plan partial a reopening of society and business.

The IHME revision comes as reports on the White House’s internal projections have raised questions about the safety of reopening strategies across the country

IHME modeling should be taken with a pinch of salt maybe as they came up with a wild underestimate for Ireland a month ago (900 dead by August) but maybe they have improved their modeling of a population they probably know better.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Never mind the IHME projections it's the non reporting of Covid deaths by local and state government that is the real problem.

Never mind the IHME projections it's the non reporting of Covid deaths by local and state government that is the real problem.

Republican governors in particular are supressing numbers in case it hurts Trumps election. Florida is supressing numbers in a big way.

• Advertisement

Just on Guardian live blog

IHME modeling should be taken with a pinch of salt maybe as they came up with a wild underestimate for Ireland a month ago (900 dead by August) but maybe they have improved their modeling of a population they probably know better.

134,000 will turn in to 250,000 by August. Pretty much every state breaking basic distancing rules and rules on large gatherings.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

threeball wrote: »
    Republican governors in particular are supressing numbers in case it hurts Trumps election. Florida is supressing numbers in a big way.

Is there much evidence of this? I've been curious about this point myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ESH01

Downlinz wrote: »
    They're showing themselves as the most mismanaged country on the planet. When all is said and done they may have more cases and deaths than every other country combined.

The American people have paid a terrible price for electing Trump.

I disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

ESH01 wrote: »
    I disagree

Care to elaborate?

Is there much evidence of this? I've been curious about this point myself.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/04/29/politics/florida-coronavirus-death-figures-withheld/index.html

Keep your deaths down and you can reopen with less questions too.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭mitchelsontour

Florida Medical Examiners Commission chairman says state officials asked them to withhold coronavirus death figures

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/politics/florida-coronavirus-death-figures-withheld/index.html

Living in the states and all I can say is that the lack of a unified response to the pandemic nationally is going to prolong the outbreak here longer than the worst hit European countries (excluding the UK).

Trump will be along in a week saying that 150,000 deaths will show how successful the White House response was and then it will be 200,000 etc.

To be honest I think those really large countries need real autocratic leadership. From a person who shows divisiveness. Putin does it in Russia, China does it. Get the people in line. A large country means a larger percentage of gobshítes that have to be told to cop on. No red tape and it is done.

America would be better of without thier half-assed democracy. It is when they are given two choices that the problems start.
    America are now left with a indecisive, dithering, bumbling mess who is all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

To be honest I think those really large countries need real autocratic leadership. From a person who shows divisiveness. Putin does it in Russia, China does it. Get the people in line. A large country means a larger percentage of gobshítes that have to be told to cop on. No red tape and it is done.

America would be better of without thier half-assed democracy. It is when they are given two choices that the problems start.
    America are now left with a indecisive, dithering, bumbling mess who is all over the place

The GOP gave a America a King, he is fúckíng it up royally.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Or, you know people could take some responsibility.

The US has, or should I say a large amount of the US, has lost its sense of society. Of course people still care for their neighbours, but overall there is a big, and apparently growing, section of the US populace that thinks that their individual freedoms, their opinions, and their rights are more important that the US itself. They continually demand MAGA yet when called upon to do something to help they actively work against it.

This was a time for the country to pull together, to face off against a common enemy. Cuomo in NY tried to stay on that message, hell even GWB gave it a shot. Yet Trump, and many of his supporters, and of course those against him, got caught into the war against each other.

That is how companies, families or countries fail.

THe US believes it is too big and too important to fail. Yet their recent history should be pointing very much to them failing. Even they person they voted POTUS said that American cities were in carnage.

But it is simply too much to ask them to stay off the beach. Are these really the people that are going to put up with paying more for domestic production? Not a chance. They will take the individualistic POV again and demand they they shouldn't have to pay more just so Johnny Lazy gets a job at the production plant.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Or, you know people could take some responsibility.

The US has, or should I say a large amount of the US, has lost its sense of society. Of course people still care for their neighbours, but overall there is a big, and apparently growing, section of the US populace that thinks that their individual freedoms, their opinions, and their rights are more important that the US itself. They continually demand MAGA yet when called upon to do something to help they actively work against it.

This was a time for the country to pull together, to face off against a common enemy. Cuomo in NY tried to stay on that message, hell even GWB gave it a shot. Yet Trump, and many of his supporters, and of course those against him, got caught into the war against each other.

That is how companies, families or countries fail.

THe US believes it is too big and too important to fail. Yet their recent history should be pointing very much to them failing. Even they person they voted POTUS said that American cities were in carnage.

But it is simply too much to ask them to stay off the beach. Are these really the people that are going to put up with paying more for domestic production? Not a chance. They will take the individualistic POV again and demand they they shouldn't have to pay more just so Johnny Lazy gets a job at the production plant.

Totally agree. America is on the brink of complete failure. Have a look at the documentary on Netflix American Factory. A Chinese manufacturer of glass bringing jobs back to the Mid West. Now there is obviously a fair difference between the compliance of a Chinese worker and an American but it didn't take long for the American who was far less productive than their Chinese counterpart to look for wage increases, better conditions (some justified, some not) and going on strike. In places that are really decimated with unemployment people just want to work. In the states it was a case of we'll work once you meet our conditions.
    Americans want everything cheap and as much of it as possible with no regard of their ability to repay. It filters through right to the top table. Their national debt is off the chart. They are in hock up to their eyeballs. In New York many people couldn't cook food as their apartment had no kitchen such was their frequency of eating out or buying takeaways.
    Trump is the epitome of the problems facing the US, a burger loving layabout who wants to get through life doing very little apart from running his mouth and beating his chest about how great he is, his country is and how if we were all like him the world would be a better place.

Advertisement