Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Trump wants to wind up the coronavirus task force.

The adults will be taken out of the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

9/11 death tolls every day and they are folding the task force. It only seems to mean anything to them when they can blame the boogeyman and go kill him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Looks like they are just going to let this thing rip through now.

easypazz wrote: »
    Looks like they are just going to let this thing rip through now.

The pressure will come soon from Trump to reopen international flights to the EU and if it isnt heeded he will start with the threats. I just hope we have to common sense to tell him to go fcuk himself. They only have to put up with him another 6 or 7 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

They appear to have revised their modelling predicting an increased death rate and at the same time they are winding down the Coronavirus task force?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

threeball wrote: »
    The pressure will come soon from Trump to reopen international flights to the EU and if it isnt heeded he will start with the threats. I just hope we have to common sense to tell him to go fcuk himself. They only have to put up with him another 6 or 7 months.

He was the one who suspended most travel fron the EU, much to the chagrin of European leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

threeball wrote:

Watch him get reelected!
    MadYaker wrote:
    They appear to have revised their modelling predicting an increased death rate and at the same time they are winding down the Coronavirus task force?

Makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Danzy wrote: »
    He was the one who suspended most travel fron the EU, much to the chagrin of European leaders.

It was more that they were neither consulted or informed of the decision. They only learned of it at the same time as everyone else.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Watch him get reelected!

I reckon they are betting that people will accept a certain level of death, and that getting the economy working again is more important to his reelection.

I would also think that they are hoping that summer does have a dampening effect and they can get deep enough into Autumn so either A) a vaccine or something similar to solve the problem or B) numbers to stay low enough long enough to get through the election.

They can worry about the effects after that.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote:
    They can worry about the effects after that.

They won't worry about the negative effects of their decisions at all, since they don't care about them much, it's all about the reelection

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It was more that they were neither consulted or informed of the decision. They only learned of it at the same time as everyone else.

Decisive action was needed.

America has to open up, that might mean another hundred thousand or many multiples of that dead.

If it doesn't open up now, there will be a prolonged global depression.

Look at Lebanon, it's now economically broke, Syria's economy has collapsed to a level that it did not see in years of civil war which in itself is a bleak achievement.

The list of countries in severe trouble grows weekly.

I'm not underestimating the severity of the disease or disagree with restrictions.

There will be multiple civil wars, economic collapses, famines just off the back of the last few months.

The US death toll is expected to hit 175k by August approximately.

Say it is double that or triple, it will still be smaller than the deaths a new great depression would leave in a year there and massively smaller than the tens of millions such an event would kill yearly worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Look at Lebanon, it's now economically broke

:confused:

They were broke long before anyone heard of Covid 19.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

Decisive action was needed.

America has to open up, that might mean another hundred thousand or many multiples of that dead.

If it doesn't open up now, there will be a prolonged global depression.

Look at Lebanon, it's now economically broke, Syria's economy has collapsed to a level that it did not see in years of civil war which in itself is a bleak achievement.

The list of countries in severe trouble grows weekly.

I'm not underestimating the severity of the disease or disagree with restrictions.

There will be multiple civil wars, economic collapses, famines just off the back of the last few months.

The US death toll is expected to hit 175k by August approximately.

Say it is double that or triple, it will still be smaller than the deaths a new great depression would leave in a year there and massively smaller than the tens of millions such an event would kill yearly worldwide.

The US has an American first president who has claimed to have the strongest economy in history right before this happened. So his response should be focused on saving Americans and an actually strong economy should be able to take a hit from this. Especially when the economy is expected to have a massive bounce back the instant things reopen.

If Trump wants to claim America first you can't say he is sacrificing Americans for the sake of Syrians. And since the economy was so strong that can't be used as an excuse either. Or the US economy isn't as strong as Trump claimed and he is willing to sacrifice Americans for the sake of reelection

Boggles wrote: »
    :confused:

They were broke long before anyone heard of Covid 19.

Well, the level of broke now is an existential threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Trump/Pence 2016 - MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Trump/Pence 2020 - LIVE AND LET DIE!

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1257814281330069504?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well, the level of broke now is an existential threat.

The point remains, their economy collapsed long before Covid 19 the riots started in October.

Well then he won't mind if we refuse to reopen to them. He wants to make things appear as if they are returning to normal and get the airlines and Boeing back in business. If you think this isn't coming in the next month you haven't been watching how he operates.

EXSwDaWUYAAA1lO?format=jpg&name=small

• Advertisement

Didn't Pence say yesterday that the Task Force was being discontinued? Maybe I picked that up wrong?

Or is it, since Jared is running a second, secretive, TF, that that is the one that is going to continue?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,657 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Didn't Pence say yesterday that the Task Force was being discontinued? Maybe I picked that up wrong?

It seems because of the backlash and bad optics of it, the 'Task Force' will remain but they'll be swapping out trying to contain the virus and helping States deal with it, to trying to get the economy going again because Trump needs it for his election campaign.

So it's remaining in name only. The objectives and most of the staff on it will change.

Or is it, since Jared is running a second, secretive, TF, that that is the one that is going to continue?

Yes it was being discontinued but reading between the lines the shell will be left in place and anyone useful will be gutted from it so you'll end up with Pence and a few other morons pretending to run a task force when in fact there's very little if anything going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Meanwhile, for those of us who live here, things are fine for the most part. Well, besides all of the people out of work left right and center. There arent dead bodies lining the streets and people dropping dead. Hospitals are empty. We have to start opening up, its a fact. My state had less than 50 new cases on Monday and its not from a lack of testing. Anyone can get a test now. There haven't been any new deaths for 2 days.

New York has gone from thousands of deaths a day to hundreds. They won't open up for a while yet which is essential for them to keep a lid on things. See how each state has its own unique circumstances? Most are in a position to start phased reopening. Luckily they are allowed to make their own decisions about how and when to reopen and don't rely on Trump to do it for them. Not sure what people on here do be reading (society collapsing, riots on the streets etc etc) but it just doesn't match reality for the most part.

I hope they do reopen flights and life the travel restrictions(the US , not Europe, because they actually didn't block any?), because I'd like to see my family again.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Meanwhile, for those of us who live here, things are fine for the most part. Well, besides all of the people out of work left right and center. There arent dead bodies lining the streets and people dropping dead. Hospitals are empty. We have to start opening up, its a fact. My state had less than 50 new cases on Monday and its not from a lack of testing. Anyone can get a test now. There haven't been any new deaths for 2 days.

New York has gone from thousands of deaths a day to hundreds. They won't open up for a while yet which is essential for them to keep a lid on things. See how each state has its own unique circumstances? Most are in a position to start phased reopening. Luckily they are allowed to make their own decisions about how and when to reopen and don't rely on Trump to do it for them. Not sure what people on here do be reading (society collapsing, riots on the streets etc etc) but it just doesn't match reality for the most part.

I hope they do reopen flights and life the travel restrictions(the US , not Europe, because they actually didn't block any?), because I'd like to see my family again.

Yes everything is just wonderful in the greatest country in the world.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/04/us/coronavirus-live-updates.html

I keep seeing those posts about how individual states are going down. However I check the numbers and the US still have over 2k deaths yesterday. I am sure some deaths are going down but someone is going up if New York dropped dramatically to make up the numbers. New cases seems to have dropped a bit but still above 20k

Near as I can see Arkansas was the biggest state to have sub 50 cases yesterday. If you open up flights to different states you will get issues.

Not sure I have seen posts about riots but the US still has issues and you are heavily connected to neighbouring states.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Christy42 wrote: »
    I keep seeing those posts about how individual states are going down. However I check the numbers and the US still have over 2k deaths yesterday. I am sure some deaths are going down but someone is going up if New York dropped dramatically to make up the numbers. New cases seems to have dropped a bit but still above 20k

Near as I can see Arkansas was the biggest state to have sub 50 cases yesterday. If you open up flights to different states you will get issues.

Not sure I have seen posts about riots but the US still has issues and you are heavily connected to neighbouring states.

Apologies, it was 46 for my county, 102 for the state. I misread, sorry. Its still a good reduction in cases though. Hospitals were never anywhere near to being overwhelmed here. Not everywhere was like new york.

Also, anecdotal but ever since it really warmed up here (approaching 100 degrees), cases and deaths have dropped drastically so maybe there is something in the heat thing?

There have always been flights to different states. Hardly anyone on them though clearly. Yes we are heavily connected to neighboring states, that's why we are coordinating reopening with them. The tourist center will be the last place to reopen. If we don't get the local economy up and running then things will be even worse, and we are in for a **** time here economically due to our tourism based industry.

Apologies, it was 46 for my county, 102 for the state. I misread, apologies. Its still a good reduction in cases though. Its anecdotal but ever since it really warmed up here (approaching 100 degrees), cases and deaths have dropped drastically so maybe there is something in the heat thing?

There have always been flights to different states. Hardly anyone on them though clearly. Yes we are heavily connected to neighboring states, that's why we are coordinating reopening with them. The tourist center will be the last place to reopen. If we don't get the local economy up and running then things will be even worse, and we are in for a **** time here economically due to our tourism based industry.

If it is tourist based then you seem to be in trouble until other states are OK as otherwise it would just spread the infection there and then no one will holiday to corona hot-spot and tourism goes down anyway. Time to see taxes as an insurance policy and lean on them. If places can get over the hump then jobs will flow back as the economy was alright beforehand.

The problem isn't your state. The issue is you are dependent on other places if you rely on tourism. And the estimates for those places is a big increase according to government figures (200k seems like a vast overestimate to me but an increase nonetheless).

If not then a lot of conversations need to be had about how close places are to financial collapse at any given moment in what was claimed to be the strongest economy ever. It has been noted that the government expects more cases

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

I haven't been following the news on this very closely, but HOW are the US doing so well and opening up so soon, despite having one of the largest population in the world? I work for a US multinational and they're confident everything will return to normal come August

• Advertisement

Lollipop95 wrote: »
    I haven't been following the news on this very closely, but HOW are the US doing so well and opening up so soon, despite having the largest population in the world? I work for a US multinational and they're confident everything will return to normal come August

dont believe everything you hear or read, expect a messy reopening of the american economy, expect a rise in covid cases and deaths, things more than likely will not be returning to normal anytime soon, particularly economically, this could all get scary for a while, expect financial and banking sector issues very soon

Advertisement