Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Nothing has changed. China continues to expand. A strong presence in Africa now. The resumption of the silk road is another. China is going to overtake the Us eventually . This cannot be allowed to happen.

Since Ireland is also a western world country with strong ties to the Us and the fact that our economy relies on Us multinational employers means people should realise which side they are on and which side they rely on.

It is inevitable

So you want the US to go to war with China so it can remain the top dog economically? Surely it would just be easier and more productive to move their manufacturing to central america which whilst costing more in the short term will end up meaning less migration, less problems with drug gangs, less IP pirating and a guaranteed supply chain from a logistics point of view. Europe will do similar over the coming years which will reduce Chinas clout significantly. But America must address the basic internal problems that were exposed badly if they are to have any hope. When your middle class can be on the breadline within 2 weeks then you have more to worry about than if China are stronger economically.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Trump has a big gob on him but I am thinking not much in the way of guts. He pockmarked a green field in Syria a few years back in response to possible chemical weapons use. As for the 'take out on the Iranian Gen Qasem, It would not surprise me if US intel went ahead with that before telling Trump. When it comes down to it Don likes to swagger but that about it. China, on the other hand, is totally going down the road in its belief that it can soon be No1. Russia no2 and whats left of the US popping up the rear. All that debt the US has will weigh it down in the long term. Would not be surprised if a far-left candidate takes office in 4-8 years and decides on burning its bondholders!

Russia has an economy twice the size of Holland.

US debt isn't that bad, in relation to its fundamentals.

Burning US bondholders, ok, that is not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Christy42 wrote: »
    This seems like you want the US to be the aggressor. I mean China will overtake the US economically but I don't see how you want to stop it without the US attacking China. Which will consign millions to their deaths as a low ball estimate.

Good to know we have our "in case Trump starts ww3" excuses in nice and early.

Trump is the least militarily minded President since Carter in the late 70s.

That angers a lot of his opponents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

threeball wrote: »
    So you want the US to go to war with China so it can remain the top dog economically? Surely it would just be easier and more productive to move their manufacturing to central america which whilst costing more in the short term will end up meaning less migration, less problems with drug gangs, less IP pirating and a guaranteed supply chain from a logistics point of view. Europe will do similar over the coming years which will reduce Chinas clout significantly. But America must address the basic internal problems that were exposed badly if they are to have any hope. When your middle class can be on the breadline within 2 weeks then you have more to worry about than if China are stronger economically.

This is a good idea. Thumbs up

This seems like you want the US to be the aggressor. I mean China will overtake the US economically but I don't see how you want to stop it without the US attacking China. Which will consign millions to their deaths as a low ball estimate.

Good to know we have our "in case Trump starts ww3" excuses in nice and early.

Trump is hardly a war hawk is he?
    Choose your side. Your way of life depends on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Danzy wrote: »
    Trump is the least militarily minded President since Carter in the late 70s.

That angers a lot of his opponents.

To comment, he's the least rational American president I can remember personally (no memory of Carter)...incl when Ronald Ray-gun was getting on a bit towards end of his term.

The US has enough weaponry to send us all to kingdom come many times over, under the control of The Donald with little restraining influences so, that frightens people (fear can lead to anger!:pac:)

fly_agaric wrote: »
    To comment, he's the least rational president I can remember prsonally (no memory of Carter)...incl when Ronald Raygun was getting on a bit towards end of his term.

The US has enough weaponry to send us all to kingdom come many times over, under the control of The Donald with little restraining influences so, that frightens people (fear can lead to anger!:pac:)

You genuinely need to investigate the protocol that must to launch these weapons. There is no red button in the president's desk.

TV and real life aren't the same thing.
    Iv no problem arguing with people or taking the opinions of others on board but you can't just make stuff up.

You genuinely need to investigate the protocol that must to launch these weapons. There is no red button in the president's desk.

TV and real life aren't the same thing

He doesn't need to start a nuclear war to cause alot of damage Blueshoe.
    We got a small taste of the potential when he decided to use the US's assasination drone capabilities earlier in the year (which are I think (?) directly under presidential control). I suppose it's all down the memory hole now though with Coronavirus (edit: and apologies, I'm veering things off topic).

He doesn't need to start a nuclear war to cause alot of damage Blueshoe.
    We got a small taste of the potential when he decided to use the US's assasination drone capabilities earlier in the year (which are I think (?) directly under presidential control). I suppose it's all down the memory hole now though with Coronavirus (edit: and apologies, I'm veering things off topic).

Cest la vie
    Attack American citizens or assets and you will pay a price.

No different in any other country.

Cest la vie
    Attack American citizens or assets and you will pay a price.

No different in any other country.

Yes, no doubt you thought it was a great move.
    Useless trying to point out his feet of clay to people who think the sun shines out his behind anyway. Belief in him has long since become a cult, or a fandom at this stage so best of luck with it ("Orange man good!" :)). I just hope to god nothing else kicks off global crisis wise before he leaves office!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

Trump is hardly a war hawk is he?
    Choose your side. Your way of life depends on it
    You are the one arguing he should start a nuclear war because China invests in African businesses not me.

My way of life absolutely depends on it. My way of life depends on those not having a full scale war. Anything else is death for a large % of the world population. As a member of the world I oppose his culling.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

fryup wrote: »
    and the way he turned his back on that nurse the other day when she said she hadn't enough PPE was shameful

But, the nurse agreed with Trump almost instantly.

@1.15

Nurse: PPE has been sporadic. It's been manageable. We do what we have to do. We're nurses. And we adapt to do what we have to do. To do the best thing we can for our patients to get the job done. And get the care provided. And that is what we are going to continue to do.

Trump: Sporadic for you. But not sporadic for a lot of other people.

Nurse: Oh no! I agree Mister President.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Blueshoe wrote:
    There is no red button in the president's desk.

^^Also on your rubbishing of the dangers of having such a man in command of the US's nuclear arsenal (are you denying that point?)...I know there are alot of clever and principled people further down the chain from him who will (theoretically) step in to stop a launch.

I still sleep far better knowing that we (the "rest of us" we, not just the US which is probably all you care about) would never have to rely on them to head off a completely nutty order from the man at the top...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

TV and real life aren't the same thing.
    Iv no problem arguing with people or taking the opinions of others on board but you can't just make stuff up.
    ^^Also on your rubbishing of the dangers of having such a man in command of the US's nuclear arsenal (are you denying that point?)...I know there are alot of clever and principled people further down the chain from him who will (theoretically) step in to stop a launch.

I still sleep far better knowing that we (the "rest of us" we, not just the US which is probably all you care about) would never have to rely on them to head off a completely nutty order from the man at the top...

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/axlrose/status/1258265406050951169?s=21

He actually had the balls to say what a lot of people in the USA think at the risk of losing fans/sales/royalties/income from places in the Deep South.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Nothing has changed. China continues to expand. A strong presence in Africa now. The resumption of the silk road is another. China is going to overtake the Us eventually . This cannot be allowed to happen.

A lot of the posts in this thread remind me of the famous story about the SKibbereen Eagle.
    Since Ireland is also a western world country with strong ties to the Us and the fact that our economy relies on Us multinational employers means people should realise which side they are on and which side they rely on.

It is inevitable

Where ever the money is, which will be China and its belt and road malarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Well, if Axl Rose says the current US admin are responsible for the US Coronavirus mortality rate then it must be true.

Personally though, I'm gonna wait and see what Ja Rule thinks.

You are the one arguing he should start a nuclear war because China invests in African businesses not me.

My way of life absolutely depends on it. My way of life depends on those not having a full scale war. Anything else is death for a large % of the world population. As a member of the world I oppose his culling.

Nobody wants a war but it is inevitable between China and the US. The only chance of changing track is by weakening China's economy. Western nations should buy from each other. Stop enriching China for the sake of our children and childrens children.

Trump and presidents like him will come and go. The one constant is that the Us as world leader rather than China is critical for the west.

Chinese domination is fast approaching.

https://www-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.businessinsider.com/us-economy-to-fall-behind-china-within-a-year-standard-chartered-says-2019-1?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=#aoh=15888686073980&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.businessinsider.com/us-economy-to-fall-behind-china-within-a-year-standard-chartered-says-2019-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

Nobody wants a war but it is inevitable between China and the US. The only chance of changing track is by weakening China's economy. Western nations should buy from each other. Stop enriching China for the sake of our children and childrens children.

Why would anybody care if the Chinese are the world's biggest power or not? The sheer insanity of it. You are not American, cool your jets, lay off the internet, up the medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

https://twitter.com/axlrose/status/1258265406050951169?s=21

He actually had the balls to say what a lot of people in the USA think at the risk of losing fans/sales/royalties/income from places in the Deep South.

What a week for Trump and GNR! Need to get out Appetite for Destruction later :pac:

• Advertisement

The subject is funny in a morbid way. Was reading + googling a bit more about this after Blueshoe's pouring scorn on the idea, and from what I could gather the president does have the power to order a launch without recourse to anyone else in particular.

We hope (in admittedly unlikely event) that Trump wakes up some day like a bear with a sore head and a burning desire to end it all + smite China or somewhere else with his "nuclear football" for no apparent reason, others in US government who get wind of it, or those down the line in the military tasked with carrying out the order will put a stop to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well, if Axl Rose says the current US admin are responsible for the US Coronavirus mortality rate then it must be true.

They are all about as qualified as Doctor Donald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Eminem might release another brutal diss freestyle towards Trump. Who Knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Trump and presidents like him will come and go. The one constant is that the Us as world leader rather than China is critical for the west.

https://www-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.businessinsider.com/us-economy-to-fall-behind-china-within-a-year-standard-chartered-says-2019-1?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15888686073980&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fus-economy-to-fall-behind-china-within-a-year-standard-chartered-says-2019-1

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords. I'm quite happy ordering cheap electronics from Gearbest on my Huawei phone. And I'd much rather visit China than most places in the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords. I'm quite happy ordering cheap electronics from Gearbest on my Huawei phone. And I'd much rather visit China than most places in the US.
    Exposure to true information does not matter any more. A person who is demoralized is unable to assess true information. The facts tell nothing to him. Even if I shower him with information, with authentic proof, with documents, with pictures. Even if I take him, by force, to the Soviet Union and show him (a) concentration camp, he will refuse to believe it until he is going to receive a kick in his fat bottom. When the military boot crashes his, then he will understand. But not before that. That is the tragedy of this situation of demoralization.
    -Yuri Bezmenov

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Trump’s valet tests positive for Covid-19 raising questions on president’s exposure
    A member of the US military who works closely with Donald Trump has tested positive for Covid-19, raising questions about the US president’s exposure to the virus.

The navy member, who works as a valet to Mr Trump and according to some reports serves him his meals, tested positive this week. A spokesman for the president said Mr Trump and vice-president Mike Pence had since tested nagative for the virus.

Speaking in the Oval Office alongside Texas governor Greg Abbott, Mr Trump said he had “very little contact” with the “good person” involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

2u2me wrote: »
    -Yuri Bezmenov

Jesus, lighten up man.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,213 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

https://www-businessinsider-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.businessinsider.com/us-economy-to-fall-behind-china-within-a-year-standard-chartered-says-2019-1?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&amp&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#aoh=15888686073980&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.businessinsider.com%2Fus-economy-to-fall-behind-china-within-a-year-standard-chartered-says-2019-1

You’re nuts. What practical difference does it make to my life if some economists decide that China now has a larger economy than the USA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'd say Trump and his cronies are tested daily at this stage. If he's positive he'll be getting treatment immediately and will more than likely be completely fine. He'd probably love it if it got it actually. Good for the re-election chances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,126 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'd say Trump and his cronies are tested daily at this stage. If he's positive he'll be getting treatment immediately and will more than likely be completely fine. He'd probably love it if it got it actually. Good for the re-election chances

Boris says Hi!

Advertisement