Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'd say Trump and his cronies are tested daily at this stage. If he's positive he'll be getting treatment immediately and will more than likely be completely fine. He'd probably love it if it got it actually. Good for the re-election chances

And what treatment would that be? Hydroxychloroquine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Saw Trump has compared the Coronavirus effect on the US to a "Pearl Harbour".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52568405

I know I should not be surpised any more but the mistruths and distortions start to cancel out/contradict each other.

The virus is just like a flu really, the "anti lockdown" protestors are bang to rights etc.

Simultaneously, when it is deemed expedient the virus is a deadly assault on America by the Evil Yellow Peril/Chinese communists comparable to Pearl Harbour!

No wonder 1984 sales spiked the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I, for one, welcome our new Chinese overlords. I'm quite happy ordering cheap electronics from Gearbest on my Huawei phone. And I'd much rather visit China than most places in the US.

I’d rather buy Irish or European made goods. The nonsense spouted on the “Chinese Lie” thread that the skills and materials aren’t here to manufacture our own electronics. Total BS. I’ve vintage computers which were not only assembled in Ireland, but the PCB were made in Ireland using locally and EEC sourced parts. Nokia Symbian smartphones like the N8, N97 etc were made in the EU too so Apple can move production outside of Asia. I’d rather pay more and support Irish, British and EU manufacturing than buy from China. Hence why I bought a Henry vacuum instead of a Morphy Richards today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1258747431791005699

You do have to ask at what point are the men in white coats called in? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

..... I’d rather pay more and support Irish, British and EU manufacturing than buy from China. Hence why I bought a Henry vacuum instead of a Morphy Richards today.

*** Checks thread title

Only on Boards :D

• Advertisement

0lddog wrote: »
    *** Checks thread title

Only on Boards :D

In response to guy who said he likes buying Chinese tat.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

In response to guy who said he likes buying Chinese tat.

Clueless, narrow minded comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

I’d rather buy Irish or European made goods. The nonsense spouted on the “Chinese Lie” thread that the skills and materials aren’t here to manufacture our own electronics. Total BS. I’ve vintage computers which were not only assembled in Ireland, but the PCB were made in Ireland using locally and EEC sourced parts. Nokia Symbian smartphones like the N8, N97 etc were made in the EU too so Apple can move production outside of Asia. I’d rather pay more and support Irish, British and EU manufacturing than buy from China. Hence why I bought a Henry vacuum instead of a Morphy Richards today.

There's no turning back now, you're pissing against the wind. Wait till were flying and driving chinese made airplanes and cars. The west cant compete on manufacturing and with the Asian growth in the years ahead this market can't be ignored. Large corporations are sellouts profit and shareholder value. Hopefully Joe biden is going to reverse this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

There's no turning back now, you're pissing against the wind. Wait till were flying and driving chinese made airplanes and cars. The west cant compete on manufacturing and with the Asian growth in the years ahead this market can't be ignored. Large corporations are sellouts profit and shareholder value. Hopefully Joe biden is going to reverse this.

Chinas costs are rising and companies are already moving to Vietnam, India and others. There's no reason most of these products can't be built in Eastern Europe, Central America and other low wage economies. China is starting to pivot towards more quality than quantity but its probably a decade or more away from being noticeable. The Wests biggest problem is the unwillingness of its population to get their hand dirty. That's why you need these emerging economies more so than any minor cost implications.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

J. Marston wrote: »

Fake news. The original boxes he delivered were full and he never brought in the empty ones.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/davidmack/mike-pence-empty-boxes-debunk?__twitter_impression=true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

FVP3 wrote: »
    Why would anybody care if the Chinese are the world's biggest power or not? The sheer insanity of it. You are not American, cool your jets, lay off the internet, up the medication.

Up the medication.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

There's a street named after him here in Vegas. I had no idea it was that Roy until a few days ago when it was in the news that he had coronavirus. I thought Roy horn was some politician or something. RIP.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    Fake news. The original boxes he delivered were full and he never brought in the empty ones.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/davidmack/mike-pence-empty-boxes-debunk?__twitter_impression=true

He literally asks if he can bring the empty ones in for the camera. It doesn't matter whether he did or not, the damage is done. I cringe every time I see someone here say "fake news" like a Trump fanboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I would not to too hard on Mike Pence as most Politicians do things like that. Some get caught most do not. Here In Kerry, we have a family of them in the deep south. If they were caught they would be proud of it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

He literally asks if he can bring the empty ones in for the camera. It doesn't matter whether he did or not, the damage is done. I cringe every time I see someone here say "fake news" like a Trump fanboy.

He was joking about that, after bringing in some full boxes.

Whole thing was a photo op, and nothing wrong with that.

Kimmel and whoever else jumped the gun, and should acknowledge that. Any damage here goes to the people that jumped the gun.

osarusan wrote: »

Kimmel and whoever else jumped the gun, and should acknowledge that. Any damage here goes to the people that jumped the gun.

How do you know he was joking? It's just another thing that makes him look bad after the face mask incident so the damage is definitely on him.

How do you know he was joking? It's just another thing that makes him look bad after the face mask incident so the damage is definitely on him.

I don't think it makes him look bad. He comes out of this photo-op undamaged. I think it makes those who jumped the gun look bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Is is where is problem lies.

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.org/post/idaho-anti-government-activists-split-coronavirus-emergency-orders#stream/0

The USA is a country where gun shops are considered "essential" retail
    Well how else are you going to protect your neighbourhood from black joggers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't think it makes him look bad. He comes out of this photo-op undamaged. I think it makes those who jumped the gun look bad.

How did you know he was joking?

And wasn't Kimmel joking, so you know, it's all just jokes so!

TBF, Pence was supposed to be working, not having a laugh.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How did you know he was joking?

And wasn't Kimmel joking, so you know, it's all just jokes so!

TBF, Pence was supposed to be working, not having a laugh.

Based on watching the video and listening to how he said it and how people reacted.

I don't see how Pence has done himself any damage at all - just a typical photo-op of a politician helping out. Kimmel tried to turn it into something more, but jumped the gun when trying to get his dig in, and it backfired.

I cringe every time I see someone say "literally" at the start of a sentence.

The video clip was edited. It didn't show them laugh about having to carry the empty boxes then close van door and it drove off.

The video was presented as news that he delivered empty boxes. Which is fake. Hence fake news.

Keep up, this isn't difficult.

Kimmel deleted his tweet. Still wouldn't apologise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

If you watch the full video, to me, he is clearly joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The United States has far more Covid-19 deaths than any other country - as of 4 May, a total of more than 69,000 deaths.
    But the US has a population of 330 million people.

If you take the five largest countries in Western Europe - the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain - their combined population is roughly 320 million.

And the total number of registered coronavirus deaths from those five countries, as of 4 May, was over 115,000 - far more than that of the US.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/52311014

Listen to this:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1258838201818476544?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1258838201818476544&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.boards.ie%2Fvbulletin%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2058043510%26page%3D342

Honestly, when he goes on a ramble, he comes out with some incredibly stupid stuff. I think he feels like he needs to have a 'point' to everything he says, so ends up flailing round for one and grasping any straw.

jibber5000 wrote: »
    I cringe every time I see someone say "literally" at the start of a sentence.

The video clip was edited. It didn't show them laugh about having to carry the empty boxes then close van door and it drove off.

The video was presented as news that he delivered empty boxes. Which is fake. Hence fake news.

Keep up, this isn't difficult.

Do you think he should be joking around in front of the cameras while people are dying? That part isn't "fake news".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

biko wrote: »
    The United States has far more Covid-19 deaths than any other country - as of 4 May, a total of more than 69,000 deaths.
    But the US has a population of 330 million people.

If you take the five largest countries in Western Europe - the UK, Germany, France, Italy and Spain - their combined population is roughly 320 million.

And the total number of registered coronavirus deaths from those five countries, as of 4 May, was over 115,000 - far more than that of the US.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/52311014

You're forgetting that their population density is much higher than the US', and that (with a bit of an exception in the UK) they are far more readily counting deaths than the US. Many estimates put the US' true death toll at more than double what it officially is, despite a huge advantage in terms of density.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're forgetting that their population density is much higher than the US', and that (with a bit of an exception in the UK) they are far more readily counting deaths than the US.
    New York city (the worst hit place in US) has higher density than anywhere in Europe. The infections are in pockets and not spread evenly through the country (just look at Ireland or any nation).
    Many estimates put the US' true death toll at more than double what it officially is, despite a huge advantage in terms of density.
    That's the same for most countries according to FT.
    The death toll from coronavirus may be almost 60 per cent higher than reported in official counts, according to an FT analysis of overall fatalities during the pandemic in 14 countries.

Advertisement