Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

biko wrote: »
    New York city (the worst hit place in US) has higher density than anywhere in Europe. The infections are in pockets and not spread evenly through the country (just look at Ireland or any nation).

That's the same for most countries according to FT.

And yet they have more cases than all of Europe combined whilst having 150million less people, less density and doing far far less testing. So the numbers don't stack up the the US any way you look at it. The case count is a sham, the deaths recorded is a sham and then you look at the fact their curve is increasing despite not bothering their arse testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

Do you think he should be joking around in front of the cameras while people are dying? That part isn't "fake news".

No I don't think he should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

You're forgetting that their population density is much higher than the US', and that (with a bit of an exception in the UK) they are far more readily counting deaths than the US. Many estimates put the US' true death toll at more than double what it officially is, despite a huge advantage in terms of density.

What estimates?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

threeball wrote: »
    And yet they have more cases than all of Europe combined whilst having 150million less people, less density and doing far far less testing. So the numbers don't stack up the the US any way you look at it. The case count is a sham, the deaths recorded is a sham and then you look at the fact their curve is increasing despite not bothering their arse testing.
    Currently, Italy has performed the greatest number of coronavirus tests per million people: nearly 21,000.
    The US and South Korea are not far behind, having each done more than 10,000 tests per million residents.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-testing-per-capita-us-italy-south-korea-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

5e9ddd00dcd88c02ec07fe4c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Lucifer

Currently, Italy has performed the greatest number of coronavirus tests per million people: nearly 21,000.
    The US and South Korea are not far behind, having each done more than 10,000 tests per million residents.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-testing-per-capita-us-italy-south-korea-2020-4?r=US&IR=T

Not if you look at worldometer?
    That article is from April 20th.

[url] https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/[/url]

EDIT Ireland have tested more per million than italy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

Half =not far behind????

Half is generally considered miles behind. They need to double their testing to catch on that graph. How is that not far behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Obama calls Trump admin response to COVID an "absolute chaotic disaster"

https://news.yahoo.com/obama-irule-of-law-michael-flynn-case-014121045.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

You don’t say!
    Can you imagine Obama screwing up this bad?

Stop pulling the first thing you see off google images and sticming it up like it means something. They are comparing italy with the USA when Germany is miles ahead, even ireland is ahead of the US. Like your last post it has no real basis in fact.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Half =not far behind????

Half is generally considered miles behind. They need to double their testing to catch on that graph. How is that not far behind?

Italy isn't even performing that well in the greater scheme of things which makes the US figures twice as bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

New York city (the worst hit place in US) has higher density than anywhere in Europe. The infections are in pockets and not spread evenly through the country (just look at Ireland or any nation).

That's the same for most countries according to FT.
    And NY have a higher per capita number of cases and deaths than any of the countries you listed by a huge distance (3x higher cases and 2.5x more deaths than Spain which has the highest in Europe) which again proves my point about density. With such higher density, Europe should in turn have also far more per capita cases and deaths than the US, but it doesn't.

There is also the problem that cases in NY and New Jersey have been slowing down for quite some time, but the overall numbers in the US are not. That's not reassuring going forward as it has been gathering pace in a number of states. We're now at 9 states with higher death rates and 11 with higher case rates per capita than Ireland - a few weeks ago it was just NY and NJ.

And that's before getting into the fact that with coronavirus being far more dangerous to the elderly, all of those countries have higher median ages than the US (or NY), and so many in the US avoiding getting checked altogether simply to avoid bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

@carface. I get the impression that you have not been following Andrew Cuomo's daily briefings.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,556 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's exactly the kind of thing that the Kenyan would say!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

:confused:

Tests per million, May 8th 2020

Ireland - 43,493
    Italy - 41,440
    Spain - 41,332
    Germany - 32,891
    USA - 26,092

France and the UK are lower again on 24,034 and 21,213 respectively, though both appear to also be doing quite an atrocious job at handling this themselves.

And NY have a higher per capita number of cases and deaths than any of the countries you listed by a huge distance (3x higher cases and 2.5x more deaths than Spain which has the highest in Europe) which again proves my point about density. With such higher density, Europe should in turn have also far more per capita cases and deaths than the US, but it doesn't.

There is also the problem that cases in NY and New Jersey have been slowing down for quite some time, but the overall numbers in the US are not. That's not reassuring going forward as it has been gathering pace in a number of states. We're now at 9 states with higher death rates and 11 with higher case rates per capita than Ireland - a few weeks ago it was just NY and NJ.

And that's before getting into the fact that with coronavirus being far more dangerous to the elderly, all of those countries have higher median ages than the US (or NY), and so many in the US avoiding getting checked altogether simply to avoid bankruptcy.

Add in high obesity and african american populations which are 400% more susceptible to a poor outcome and they're heading for a real sh1tstorm.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,545 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Oh ffs here we go again with this cràp :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I'm talking about the state I live in in America. 276 have died out of a population of 3.2 million. We are not New York. We have flattened the curve big time thanks to locking down in early March. At no point were our hospitals in danger of becoming overwhelmed. Actually they are empty. Please explain why you think we, as in my state, cannot begin our own phased reopening plan based on those numbers? Yes, its the same country, but what is happening thousands of miles away is not relevant to us and our ability to safely reopen businesses.

Fact is, some places in America are perfectly fine to start reopening. Some aren't, so they are staying closed, such as New York. Some are opening too early yes. But most aren't. There's no reason to think that sensible phased reopening, going back steps if needed, is going to result in half a million deaths as posted earlier. That's just wishful thinking on the part of those who have a chip on their shoulder about the US for some reason. This whole thread is full of it.

Flattened the curve :pac:. Who the fcuk are you trying to kid? The US thus far has accounted for nearly a THIRD of global COVID-19 deaths. Their response was nothing short of pathetic. As a country the US should be conducting one million tests a day. Currently they are conducting less than a quarter of that.

Yesterday I watched with dismay a conference on the White House lawn with bible-thumper after bible-thumper stepping up to the podium spewing out quotes from Deuteronomy or Revelations or some sh1t, spouting the usual "God chose America to lead the world" gibberish and praying for Jesus to smite the virus. Talk about being at the forefront of technical and medical brilliance.

Well as you know, of course there are federal policies regarding foreign and defense policy. And also federal laws that cover all states. But for the most part states run themselves, have their own governments, budgets etc etc. They can even blatantly disregard federal laws it seems, such as when it comes to making marijuana legal. I said "more equivalent" to eu countries. Which is true.

It just doesn't make sense to advocate keeping the entire US shut down when plenty of places are ok to start to reopen. If that happened then the **** definitely would hit the fan

Riddle me this then. What exactly do you think would happen if New York was to remain on lockdown but neighbouring Pennsylvania opened up bars, hotels, restaurants, campsites, cinemas, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

What does Obamas Kenyan heritage have to do with anything?

Bizarre comment Tbh.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Nothing has changed. China continues to expand. A strong presence in Africa now. The resumption of the silk road is another. China is going to overtake the Us eventually . This cannot be allowed to happen.

Since Ireland is also a western world country with strong ties to the Us and the fact that our economy relies on Us multinational employers means people should realise which side they are on and which side they rely on.

It is inevitable

China has already surpassed the US as the world's largest economy. You say this mustn't be allowed to happen. It HAS happened. And what do you think the US and its lackeys are going to do to send China back to Third World status? Invade them and sell off all their industries to foreign corporations and trash their economy and enslave their people? That might work for the US in places like Hondura or Guatemala but China is not Honduras or Guatemala or even Libya for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Oh ffs here we go again with this cràp :rolleyes:

I know, I roll my eyes whenever someone brings that nonsense up again. Damn Clintons have a lot to answer for.

birther11.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Flattened the curve :pac:. Who the fcuk are you trying to kid? The US thus far has accounted for nearly a THIRD of global COVID-19 deaths. Their response was nothing short of pathetic. As a country the US should be conducting one million tests a day. Currently they are conducting less than a quarter of that. .

The point was so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed. Where in the US have hospitals become overwhelmed? Even in New York they didn't. Barely any of the extra beds were used. So yes, the curve was flattened.

https://twitter.com/SKMorefield/status/1258594903988281345

Would seem DeSantis may be right as the stats from NY look like the last place you'd want to be is stuck indoors ..

CV77.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

No, he's not right and Fox News - lol.

Cause they do real science?

I know, I roll my eyes whenever someone brings that nonsense up again. Damn Clintons have a lot to answer for.

And Trump ended up becoming one of the biggest proponents of it. Going Hillary at every turn at this stage isn't actually a great reflection of the strength of your arguments...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

https://i.ibb.co/JkqMHCn/birther11.jpg

birther11.jpg :pac: Do you have the other 10?

The point was so that hospitals don't get overwhelmed. Where in the US have hospitals become overwhelmed? Even in New York they didn't. Barely any of the extra beds were used. So yes, the curve was flattened.

What has hospitals not being overwhelmed got to do with the curve being flattened?
    Are you just making stuff up? Do you know what "flattening the curve" means?

It means that the number of deaths and infections is not increasing. Hospital admissions had zilch to do with it.

And Trump ended up becoming one of the biggest proponents of it. Going Hillary at every turn at this stage isn't actually a great reflection of the strength of your arguments...

Strength of what arguments?

A user moaned about the birther thing being alluded to again and I'm just highlighting who was largely responsible for it, despite their claims to the contrary. I've never suggested that Trump didn't get involved years later by the way, so not sure how that's relevant, we all know he did, but had the Clinton campaign not amplified it to begin with, then the Donald would never have had to come along and try and sort it all out by offering millions to charity if Obama produced his long form birthcert. Which he did by the way, four weeks later, something which largely ended the issue in most people's minds, and so if anything Obama should have thanked Trump for intervening given that years before when Obama produced his first live birth cert, that did nothing to quell the birtherism stuff. Sure, Trump raised the issue again a few times, for the craic mostly, given Obama never thanked him for sorting the mess out, but neh harm.

People just seem to hate when you tell the truth about the Clintons for some reason, never understand it.

Speaking of which, I see you know who is using the Coronavirus as a political tool and pushing the false narrative that Trump doesn't listen to experts.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1258763760413683714

Dr. Fauci made it quite clear that Trump always took his recommendations:
    Anthony-Fauci-on-COVID-19-Trump-and-Staying-Healthy-The-Atlantic.png

Dr. Birx backs that up:
    Watters: "Dr.Fauci said that whenever you guys have gone to the President with a serious scientific recommendation he's absorbed that and taken action"

Dr. Birx: "That is absolutely correct"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What has hospitals not being overwhelmed got to do with the curve being flattened?
    Are you just making stuff up? Do you know what "flattening the curve" means?

It means that the number of deaths and infections is not increasing. Hospital admissions had zilch to do with it.

Ffs. Where have you been? Flattening the curve means spreading out the rate of infection so that everyone doesn't get infected at once and that hospitals don't get overwhelmed. That's pretty much the entire reason for it.
    The faster the infection curve rises, the quicker the local health care system gets overloaded beyond its capacity to treat people. As we're seeing in Italy, more and more new patients may be forced to go without ICU beds, and more and more hospitals may run out of the basic supplies they need to respond to the outbreak.

A flatter curve, on the other hand, assumes the same number of people ultimately get infected, but over a longer period of time. A slower infection rate means a less stressed health care system, fewer hospital visits on any given day and fewer sick people being turned away.

Anyway, I'm off out to buy some paint and do a bit of shopping, while wearing my mask of course. Probably go for a swim after that and enjoy the sunshine.. Enjoy your day of angrily ranting about America ðŸ‘

Advertisement