Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭threeball

joe40 wrote: »
    The fact that Trump is still in contention to win in November says a lot about the incredible stupidity of vast numbers of the American electorate. Not them all and not necessarily the majority, but enough to be a major concern.
    No other western democracy would keep an imbecile like Trump in power.
    Did you hear him last week in the meeting with the nurses blaming the previous administration for lack of PPE.
    He has been in power for three years.

The UK have done a pretty good job of installing their own imbecile and are paying a heavy price too. 55,000 deaths in the space of 5 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

threeball wrote: »
    The UK have done a pretty good job of installing their own imbecile and are paying a heavy price too. 55,000 deaths in the space of 5 weeks.
    Not forgetting it nearly killed said imbecile.......

Wanna support genocide?Cheer on the murder of women and children?The Ruzzians aren't rapey enough for you? Morally bankrupt cockroaches and islamaphobes , Israel needs your help NOW!!

http://tinyurl.com/2ksb4ejk

https://www.btselem.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I think you might not be able to see the forest for the trees. If you think the years of hot potato between FF and FG show the Irish electorate in a better light, you are sorely mistaken or have bought into a fallacy

There is no comparison between our politicians and Trump. The man can't string a sentence together.

joe40 wrote: »
    There is no comparison between our politicians and Trump. The man can't string a sentence together.

Certainly not eloquent. Given the choice between him and Clinton or him and Biden, I'd still pick him.

Rock and a hard place.

But you know, he's great to have as a polarising figure. People seem to revel in hating him.

I'm not a fan but it's amazing to see the vitriolic hatred. Grabthembythepussygate compared to Joe bidens sexualassaultgate is non existent.

It's become #ibelieveher to #shesprobablylying

Just because I don't hate trump doesn't mean I like him. I just don't like media manipulation.

MSNBC apologised for their intentional manipulation of an interview to put the president in a bad light. That wasn't a big deal at all. Fox news are as bad on the other side but are constantly ridiculed for their one sided take.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why mention the sex of the reporters? Do you know how they identify?

I’ve read some drivel on this site over the years. That’s right up there with the best of them.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    I’ve read some drivel on this site over the years. That’s right up there with the best of them.

Excellent.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

That in no way answered my questions. I asked why did YOU mention their SEX? Do you know how they identify?

Looks like kermit got it right anyway. I never doubted him :)

https://twitter.com/weijia/status/1260026825750667265
    Yamiche wrote:
    “I’m not the first human being, woman, black person or journalist to be told that while doing a job,”

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

That in no way answered my questions. I asked why did YOU mention their SEX? Do you know how they identify?

What difference does it make.

What difference does it make.

None.

None whatsoever.

Yet when I asked that question, I got this response:

"Well, Trump assumes one identifies as Chinese - even though she is from West Virginia."

Non sensical and ridiculous, just as my questioning of why he mentioned her sex. I framed it as sexist. It wasn't.

The same way as the ethnic background of the reporter had no bearing on trump saying "ask China" despite the multiple articles and news reports saying that trump was being racist.

Very minor point and a little laboured but forgive me, I'm over tired.

None.

None whatsoever.

"Well, Trump assumes one identifies as Chinese - even though she is from West Virginia."

Non sensical and ridiculous, just as my questioning of why he mentioned her sex. I framed it as sexist. It wasn't.

The same way as the ethnic background of the reporter had no bearing on trump saying "ask China" despite the multiple articles and news reports saying that trump was being racist.

Nah I think you were just been awkward. I also believe he may not have meant her but as I don't think he is that smart on his feet to come up with it and yes they do identify as women

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Looks like kermit got it right anyway. I never doubted him :)

https://twitter.com/weijia/status/1260026825750667265

Reporter: "Why do you keep acting like this is some global competition (on testing and deaths) when Americans are dying?"

Trump: "Ask China..."

Wife: Why does the refrigerator smell like Cheese? Husband: Don’t ask me, go ask Switzerland.

Nah I think you were just been awkward. I also believe he may not have meant her but as I don't think he is that smart on his feet to come up with it and yes they do identify as women

You are entitled to believe what you want. I was being awkward in order to prove a point that it is easy to accuse anyone of an "ism" or being a "phobe". I admit, I didn't make my point very well and could have been more decisive in my approach.

I'm not sure whether you are saying you don't think trump is smart enough to be racist and agree that he wasn't being racist? So are you saying he is not naturally a racist? You aren't being very clear yourself.

And yes, I'm sure they do identify as women. It's an assumption though.

None.

None whatsoever.

Why did he say Ask China do you know?
    I don't get how it would answer the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Because the reporter looked Asian.

That's the level with this dumb ass.

You are entitled to believe what you want. I was being awkward in order to prove a point that it is easy to accuse anyone of an "ism" or being a "phobe". I admit, I didn't make my point very well and could have been more decisive in my approach.

I'm not sure whether you are saying you don't think trump is smart enough to be racist and agree that he wasn't being racist? So are you saying he is not naturally a racist? You aren't being very clear yourself.

And yes, I'm sure they do identify as women. It's an assumption though.

No what iam saying he wasn't smart enough at that point in time to come up with a response like that just because to him she looks chinese. Do I think he is racist yes yes I do. I just believe at this particular instance he wasn't towards her as Ask China and Blame China Not My Fault has been his mantra

I think you protest too much when someone responds to you and you latched onto 1 word she very quick and made a mountain out of what wasn't even a mole hill.

Because it's been his mantra all during the pandemic he is not responsible, it just so happened to be a reporter with Chinese ancestry. It probably didn't even register with him

Weijia Jiang: (01:00:14)
    You’ve said many times that the U.S. is doing far better than any other country when it comes to testing.

Donald Trump: (01:00:22)
    Yes.

Weijia Jiang: (01:00:23)
    Why does that matter? Why is this a global competition to you if every day Americans are still losing their lives and we’re still seeing more cases every day?

Donald Trump: (01:00:33)
    Well, they’re losing their lives everywhere in the world. And maybe that’s a question you should ask China, don’t ask me, ask China that question, okay. When you ask them that question, you may get a very unusual answer.

He wasn't answering her question with "ask China". It was a follow up to his dismissal of her question that Americans were losing their lives and it was a competition.

It's a usual tactic by politicians and didn't answer her question but instead pointed out that other countries are suffering loss and foisting the blame on China

Again, trump is far from a good public speaker and handled it poorly and without the grace and panache of most world leaders.

It seems to me, and again, I'm only giving my interpretation, is that he is saying that it's not a competition but despite their horrific death toll, America are doing a good job and better than most (not something I agree with personally but not something I am surprised a leader of a country would say)

I also think that he is saying ask China why everyone else in the world is losing lives, implying that because the virus originated there and China were reportedly fudging their numbers and weren't forthcoming with data, they hold the blame for this pandemic (again, not my feelings, just my interpretation).

Some interpreted it to be racist. I personally didn't. I find it more racist that people think trump shouldn't mention China negatively if there is a woman of Asian descent there.

Because it's been his mantra all during the pandemic he is not responsible, it just so happened to be a reporter with Chinese ancestry. It probably didn't even register with him

I agree

No what iam saying he wasn't smart enough at that point in time to come up with a response like that just because to him she looks chinese. Do I think he is racist yes yes I do. I just believe at this particular instance he wasn't towards her as Ask China and Blame China Not My Fault has been his mantra

I think you protest too much when someone responds to you and you latched onto 1 word she very quick and made a mountain out of what wasn't even a mole hill.

Not protesting even a little chief. I've explained myself and it's up to you to believe me or not.

For what it's worth, I half agree with you. I don't think he was racist here.

Weijia Jiang: (01:00:14)
    You’ve said many times that the U.S. is doing far better than any other country when it comes to testing.

Donald Trump: (01:00:22)
    Yes.

Weijia Jiang: (01:00:23)
    Why does that matter? Why is this a global competition to you if every day Americans are still losing their lives and we’re still seeing more cases every day?

Donald Trump: (01:00:33)
    Well, they’re losing their lives everywhere in the world. And maybe that’s a question you should ask China, don’t ask me, ask China that question, okay. When you ask them that question, you may get a very unusual answer.

He wasn't answering her question with "ask China". It was a follow up to his dismissal of her question that Americans were losing their lives and it was a competition.

It's a usual tactic by politicians and didn't answer her question but instead pointed out that other countries are suffering loss and foisting the blame on China

Again, trump is far from a good public speaker and handled it poorly and without the grace and panache of most world leaders.

It seems to me, and again, I'm only giving my interpretation, is that he is saying that it's not a competition but despite their horrific death toll, America are doing a good job and better than most (not something I agree with personally but not something I am surprised a leader of a country would say)

I also think that he is saying ask China why everyone else in the world is losing lives, implying that because the virus originated there and China were reportedly fudging their numbers and weren't forthcoming with data, they hold the blame for this pandemic (again, not my feelings, just my interpretation).

Some interpreted it to be racist. I personally didn't. I find it more racist that people think trump shouldn't mention China negatively if there is a woman of Asian descent there.

Bah! Seeing in typed out I get it. Cheers the dunne!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

No I said it was a silly question, not a silly answer, I don't understand the answer. Why would she ask China? What did he mean?

Apologies I wrote answer where I meant question.
    This pretty much answers it for me. He's constantly trying to deflect blame onto China. I have argued all over boards that this is wrong and he shouldn't be doing this. But he is what he is. Implying his answer to be racist is low.
    2u2me wrote: »
    Just last week the American numbers overtook the Chinese numbers. That's when we started seeing all this spin.
    April 5th.
    2u2me wrote: »
    As much as I'm sure Trump would like to blame China for everything, he simply does not have that power.
    I know Trump is actively trying to blame China, perhaps their intelligence agencies are playing information warfare I wouldn't put it past them.
    25th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Certainly not eloquent. Given the choice between him and Clinton or him and Biden, I'd still pick him.

Rock and a hard place.

Really, you think they are the same? What did Clinton or Biden do that equates to what is currently happening with Covid-19?
    But you know, he's great to have as a polarising figure. People seem to revel in hating him.

What is the benefit of having a polarising figure? Surely in any society the key is finding a middle ground that meets, at least partially, everyone's needs.
    I'm not a fan but it's amazing to see the vitriolic hatred. Grabthembythepussygate compared to Joe bidens sexualassaultgate is non existent.

It's become #ibelieveher to #shesprobablylying

When was it ever said that she is lying? Biden has asked that all documentation be opened up, that a full investigation is carried out as he is certain this never happened. He is not trying to shut her up, bully her or cast aspersions on her. In complete opposite to Trump and the GOP did in terms of any of the women that have accused Trump or indeed Kavanaugh.
    Just because I don't hate trump doesn't mean I like him. I just don't like media manipulation.

If you don't like media manipulation then you must hate how the right wing media, lef by Fox, have driven Trumps agenda and that having someone like Trump, who basically peddles whatever story they have on F&F, is bad for everyone.
    MSNBC apologised for their intentional manipulation of an interview to put the president in a bad light. That wasn't a big deal at all. Fox news are as bad on the other side but are constantly ridiculed for their one sided take.

You have shown the difference yourself. MSNBC apologised, when have Fox News, or indeed POTUS, ever done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The prefered White House (or maybe it's the medical group) modeling now predicts 147k dead come early August

“And again, when you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be up at over a million cases and 147k deaths, and then in a few years it's going to go down to close to zero, that’s a pretty good job we’ve done.”

I've found the missing part of Trump's speech. He must have forgotten to read out the part in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This disease came from China, China covered it up, kept the world in the dark about its severity, lied about the fatality rate and its cases. Started stockpiling PPE before the world was told.

This virus is China's.

That brutal authoritarian State with its concentration camps, executions, savage brutality to it's people is finally being called out.

That's very refreshing and deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Danzy wrote: »
    This disease came from China, China covered it up, kept the world in the dark about its severity, lied about the fatality rate and its cases. Started stockpiling PPE before the world was told.

This virus is China's.

Regardless, the US Government's response to the virus, is the US Government's. Before the virus was ever even heard of, Trump and his administration gutted the existing pandemic response capabilities of the US Government. When the virus started to impact, aside from a travel ban on people coming in from China Trump and his administration were incredibly slow to act, focused more on the stock market than trying to prepare for the pandemic, and gave a false sense of security to their citizens by being dismissive of the virus. And when the virus started to really hit them hard, he started a blame game, both against China and the States themselves by pushing most responsibility onto them while also trying to claim authority over them in ways he does not have. And now while the virus is still spreading throughout the country, he's pushing people back out to work in ways that will allow the virus to keep spreading rapidly and uncontrollably.

The responsibility for Trump's response to the virus is on Trump. And sadly he has failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

This virus is China's.

That brutal authoritarian State with its concentration camps, executions, savage brutality to it's people is finally being called out.

They covered up the extent of it alright, but there's nothing refreshing about constantly referencing China when asked about your own response. It's a distraction technique which nobody with an ounce of sense should be distracted by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Remember when Donnie said if it was up to him he'd only give federal aid to governors who were nice to him??

What a guy!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Remember when Donnie said if it was up to him he'd only give federal aid to governors who were nice to him??

What a guy!!!!

He is very vanilla, as in you can see what he is all about. If it was in the business world or even social circles he would be universally despised.

A man who truly only cares about ego, power and money has made it to the White House. I do not even think he is a true republican. The Presidency to Trump is just another line on his CV.

Trump is actually a despicable human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

This virus is China's.

Is this the same brutal authoritarian State with its concentration camps, executions, savage brutality to it's people that Trump sided with over Hong Kong? Or was praising only a few weeks ago for doing a great job on the virus?

I have no issue at all with China being called out, IMO the world needs to seriously think about how we have allowed the relationship, and our dependency on China develop.

However, the US is the worlds No 1 superpower. The biggest economy and military the world have ever known. It, far more than any other country on earth, should be able to look after itself. I can completely understand the frustration from Trump that this starting in China, that China did little to alert the rest of the world, but the response is totally on Trump.

According to reports, Navarro etc wrote about it, this was well known at the latest in January, and probably well before that (Navarro didn't just find it out by himself).

So the real question, is faced with this threat what did the POTUS do do protect the US from an external threat? Because that is pretty fundamental to his job.

Advertisement