Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American response

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

joe40 wrote: »
    The guns were purely for intimidation and threat. There is no comparison between guns and umbrellas.
    I can't believe I just had to type that sentence.

When Americans protest in open carry states they bring their guns. No problems there. No open carry laws in Ireland so it might seem strange to some here. It's not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Blueshoe wrote: »
    When Americans protest in open carry states they bring their guns. No problems there. No open carry laws in Ireland so it might seem strange to some here. It's not

Open carry does not mean guns are mandated. They were also allowed to wear 50 hats each but did they? No. They could have left the guns at home but they didn't. They brought them for a reason and the only possible reason was intimidation. Are they expecting wild bears to disrupt the protest?

They are allowed bring the guns. I agree. They does not make them immune to the consequences of this decision whereby they are viewed as crazy gun nut protestors. Same way most people would think someone wearing 50 hats to a protest was a bit crazy.

Edit: and if the reason really is I can have an open carry gun and therefore I must which is the least crazy reason I can think of that still not a sign of a stable individual to me. Why not I can wear 50 hats and therefore I must?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

https://twitter.com/mohsaab/status/1261434027203891200?s=21

Their death rate is going to be in the multiple millions by winter if no vaccine is found by December.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If you have ever watched Trump being questioned by the media most of the questions are normal enough. Then some journalist looking for a gotcha moment will ask something stupid hoping for a reaction.
    Something to generate clicks and revenue. As bad as the like of rte are they are not a patch on American media.

That goes both ways with fox news too. They are divisive and deal in sensationalism.
    There are two articles on the journal app today. One is how Biden won't stop an investigation into trump if he wins. And the other "can Joe Biden win from his living Room?"

The media is telling you all how to think. No balance. Have you ever seen a positive trump news story on Irish media? Ever?

I don’t read much of the Irish news media and they certainly don’t tell me how to think. My views on trump are based solely on his Twitter, his speeches, and his press conferences which I watch live or not at all. What positive trump stories have been ignored by the Irish media in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

No it's not strange. It's insane.

• Advertisement

No it's not strange. It's insane.

I completely disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

If you have ever watched Trump being questioned by the media most of the questions are normal enough. Then some journalist looking for a gotcha moment will ask something stupid hoping for a reaction.
    Something to generate clicks and revenue. As bad as the like of rte are they are not a patch on American media.

That goes both ways with fox news too. They are divisive and deal in sensationalism.
    There are two articles on the journal app today. One is how Biden won't stop an investigation into trump if he wins. And the other "can Joe Biden win from his living Room?"

The media is telling you all how to think. No balance. Have you ever seen a positive trump news story on Irish media? Ever?

I am not sure the gotcha questions at press conferences really cover twitter rants mate. You can explain that group of presidential statements.

Most of the questions aren't even gotchas. "what do you say to scared Americans" is not a gotcha. It is a soft question. Outside of "you're campaign has all the speed of a runaway steam train" I am not sure how much nicer they can get.

Side note on the Irish media. They have also not published a pro flat earth piece that I have ever seen. Balance isn't pretending both sides are the same. It is reporting things fairly. It isn't because of the media that Trump doesn't know what is going at any point in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Update on essential services from the president

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1261470041221902338

The video is how I imagine it would look if you could walk around trumps mind :)

What a following he has!!

Jeez he's one hell of a geebag. Actively creating division. I see Trump has retweeted it twice with a significant gap in between so he let's this type of thing frame his mindset.

Footage like this is fuel to the big orange gimp.

I completely disagree

It's accepted by a minority. The Americans I know wouldn't know one end of a gun from the other never mind taking them out to the local Subway. It's insane to them as it is to most Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭NSAman

It's accepted by a minority. The Americans I know wouldn't know one end of a gun from the other never mind taking them out to the local Subway. It's insane to them as it is to most Americans.

how many of your American friends have guns?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

So if only a few people turned up it's not a problem. Not to the same "extent"
    Over 300 million people in the country.

How many people have to turn up before you think it's extensive. 15? 5000? 6 million?

Guns are legal. No problems there.
    Umbrellas are legal in Ireland people can bring them to protests here if they wish.

Guns V umbrellas. This is the calibre of the average Trump fan......

Whataboutery merchants.

It's estimated that 30% of Americans own a gun. That's 100 million people.

NSAman wrote: »
    how many of your American friends have guns?

None.

Thats low but even if we go with that figure, it is also location dependent. where I live practically EVERYONE as a gun or 10. In. Many other areas of the country, gun ownership is not as high as it is here.

This is something that I as an Irish person still cannot get my head around.

When you see friends asking for advice on training a 7 year old in safe gun handling and education, you know this issue is bigger than anything else.

The VAST majority of gun owners here are responsible people.

You weren't taking about ownership though, you were talking about open carry at protests. How many of those 30% think it's acceptable to bring a gun to a protest?

None.

Then your friends are not typically American I have to say.

That is not a slight but a statistical probability. As I said above it also depends on where your friends live.

I personally do NOT own a gun and that is by choice, but I know I am in an extreme minority where I live.

Then your friends are not typically American I have to say.

That is not a slight but a statistical probability. As I said above it also depends on where your friends live.

I personally do NOT own a gun and that is by choice, but I know I am in extreme minority where I live.

Yeah I meant to add, they mostly live in SF, NJ and NY. Assume gun ownership wouldn't be as high in those places.

You weren't taking about ownership though, you were talking about open carry at protests. How many of those 30% think it's acceptable to bring a gun to a protest?

Yes I see no problem with bringing legally owned and registered gun to a protest in an open carry state. It's not illegal. Irish people can't seem to understand it but that makes zero difference.

If I lived in the Us I wouldn't purchase a gun but I see no problem with others doing so either. Bring them wherever they choose once within the law. I don't think anyone got shot either. No foul. Play ball

This is the alien concept to most people who were born outside America. Why would you want to carry a gun at all?

Despite open carry and other such laws such as concealed permits (state dependent) why do Americans feel the need to carry? I personally will never understand this, but then I live in a very safe area....which is based on the number of people owning weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Yes I see no problem with bringing legally owned and registered gun to a protest in an open carry state. It's not illegal. Irish people can't seem to understand it but that makes zero difference.

If I lived in the Us I wouldn't purchase a gun but I see no problem with others doing so either. Bring them wherever they choose once within the law. I don't think anyone got shot either. No foul. Play ball

You don't have to be Irish to think bringing heavy weaponry to a protest is intimidation. I saw many Americans online describe it as terrorism. There were also pictures of one black politician going to work the next day guarded by men with similar guns.
    It might have been legal but to think they were posing there with their guns for anything other than intimidation is hopelessly naive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

This is the alien concept to most people who were born outside America. Why would you want to carry a gun at all?

Despite open carry and other such laws such as concealed permits (state dependent) why do Americans feel the need to carry? I personally will never understand this, but then I live in a very safe area....which is based on the number of people owning weapons.

I, too, live in a very safe area, which is a statement based on the number of violent crimes committed around here. The cause is probably related to the surprisingly strong police presence, I'm seeing more SAPD cars around here than DPD in my old California house.

That number is not zero. There was an attempted broad daylight kidnapping in my local supermarket carpark earlier this year, for example. (Serial kidnapper, apparently, had tried for a jogger earlier that week)

Should the statistics continue to favour me, the fact that I wear a sidearm will remain of a purely academic matter of the number of persons licensed to carry a firearm as nobody will know any better. Even my parents didn't realise I was armed most times we went out and about for the three weeks they stayed with me. Should the statistics catch up with me, better to have the gun and not need it then need it and not have it.

So how long do we reckon it’ll be before Fauci gets the boot?

I, too, live in a very safe area, which is a statement based on the number of violent crimes committed around here. The cause is probably related to the surprisingly strong police presence, I'm seeing more SAPD cars around here than DPD in my old California house.

That number is not zero. There was an attempted broad daylight kidnapping in my local supermarket carpark earlier this year, for example. (Serial kidnapper, apparently, had tried for a jogger earlier that week)

Should the statistics continue to favour me, the fact that I wear a sidearm will remain of a purely academic matter of the number of persons licensed to carry a firearm as nobody will know any better. Even my parents didn't realise I was armed most times we went out and about for the three weeks they stayed with me. Should the statistics catch up with me, better to have the gun and not need it then need it and not have it.

You’re not free if you have to arm yourself to feel safe going about your daily business. That’s an extreme measure that has been forced on you by the situation in the country you live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Any update on all these positive stories that the Irish Media is refusing to cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I completely disagree

You're perfectly entitled to but you're wrong.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

MadYaker wrote: »
    You’re not free if you have to arm yourself to feel safe going about your daily business. That’s an extreme measure that has been forced on you by the situation in the country you live in.

Erm. Sort of projecting there, aren't you? Who said I feel unsafe? I just posted that I'm in a pretty safe area. Probably safer than much of Dublin, frankly. (Family house is in D14). The likelihood of my needing my sidearm is probably about the same level as the chances of a fire in my house. I don't keep a fire extinguisher because I feel the house is unsafe. I keep it because fires happen regardless of the statistics, at which point it's a dammed good thing to have handy.

[Edit. I shall not be replying to further commentary about why I choose to be armed. This is a Coronavirus thread]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lets not drag this into the usual pro/anti gun argument :)

You don't have to be Irish to think bringing heavy weaponry to a protest is intimidation. I saw many Americans online describe it as terrorism. There were also pictures of one black politician going to work the next day guarded by men with similar guns.
    It might have been legal but to think they were posing there with their guns for anything other than intimidation is hopelessly naive.

Terrorism! Lol.
    I can imagine the type alright

Terrorism! Lol.
    I can imagine the type alright

Which type? The normal people that don't go around like pretend soldiers? It blows my mind that some people think that bringing a weapon that's capable of killing someone to a protest is acceptable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭threeball

Which type? The normal people that don't go around like pretend soldiers? It blows my mind that some people think that bringing a weapon that's capable of killing someone to a protest is acceptable.

Same lad would be laughing at/critcising muslims firing guns in the air at protests after a drone attack in the middle east saying they were like something from the middle ages.

Advertisement